So Holla Forums...

So Holla Forums, what do you think the landscape of the internet will look like after the social media bubble bursts and all of these money-grubbing Jewish companies like Facebook and Twitter go under?

Other urls found in this thread:

idlewords.com/2015/11/the_advertising_bubble.htm)
slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2016/01/twitter_needs_a_drastic_plan_to_save_itself_here_it_is.html
techdirt.com/articles/20150219/11473630072/ats-30-dont-be-snooped-fee-is-even-worse-than-everybody-thought.shtml
att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1011211
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think this will happen when people will began to have gnu social and more on a servers with optic fiber at home.
But that implies that
Maybe in 50 years
Even the hurd will be out by then
I have hope in free/libre software
not in the consumers who just like "that it just works"

That won't do it. People will just get tired of the same basic premise that all social media relies on.

It won't last forever.

None of that is ever going to happen. The average person could care less about any of that.

People will never care about libre software, they only care if it works.
People will never understand freedom because its more convenient to be a slave.
You seem to have no concept of how an average person thinks. No one will ever read a manual because it takes effort. Why read the manual when you can just buy a new computer when it breaks?
This will never happen.
Why would anyone who is not interested in the subject ever take the time to learn about security or networking? They just want to pay someone else to think about that. No one cares how things work as long as they remain working.
50% of the population are INCAPABLE of understanding algorithmic thinking.
There is a lot of evidence that there are biological differences in the brains of people who can program.

You are so naive that it's making me physically sick.

It won't burst.

Individual companies will come and go, à la Myspace and Facebook.You can already see it happening with Facebook, young people are spending more time on shit like Instagram and soon Facebook will be seen as just an old people thing.

Landscape of the internet will continue to degrade into absolute Judaism. Especially with wearable tech/internet of things.

Expect more ads. I think eventually ISPs will start hopping on that bandwagon. First it'll be cheaper internet in exchange for getting forcefed ads directly. Next they'll just be the norm. Maybe for an extra $19.99/month you'll be able to buy a special ad-free package.

It's impossible for it to get better. You'll never be able to get normies to care about this shit for longer than a week. The only way to have a good internet at this point is to build a niche, secondary net.

I hope there are more ads, it essentially means we can feed off the stupidity of normies, since as long as we have control over the client-side advertisements can always be subverted with enough technical skill.

Obviously most people won't have that skill, but that means that there will be more free/cheap services for us to use.

Facebook and twitter aren't a bubble, they're way too embedded into our society and could be considered blue chips like google, apple, or microsoft. Facebook has 1.65 billion users and counting because they are targeting developing countries. Maybe fb will die in the US soon, but in the rest of the world, probably not. The big social networks know that social networks have a shelf life, that's why they own vine, periscope, and instagram as insurance.

Advertising, on the other hand, is definitely in danger now that adblockers are on the rise, user frustration keeps growing, and investors want their money back. (idlewords.com/2015/11/the_advertising_bubble.htm) That would definitely change the landscape of the internet because giving stuff away for free and putting ads on it would not be as much a viable business model unless you're big like facebook. Clickbait probably would still be prevalent, but low-effort content made just to increase CPM rates on a shitty blog would whither away because with adblockers, clicks =/= revenue.

t. hacker news regular

Ads going away would require media companies adapting to change instead of throwing a giant tantrum about how ad blocking is literally murdering content creators.

I expect ad blocking to become the new piracy. With more and more ridiculous ad technologies being constantly cracked by adblocking technology.

its really only a matter of time before facebook/google lobbyists manage to outlaw adblocking.

I imagine ads are going to keep shifting towards native advertising and shit that is difficult to discern from actual content which I find much more nefarious. It's easy to deal with banner ads but it's much harder to systematically block (or recognize) articles written by hacks that are being paid hand over fist to spin bullshit about a product.

Most companies probably know already that it doesn't really matter how much they piss and moan about ad blockers as a ton of people are going to keep using them regardless (just like with piracy).

agreed.

just look at the people that do "care" about open source and Internet privacy, they spend all day on closed source 4chan or Twitter handing over their phone numbers and credit cards while filling in google captchas that let them post with their home IP address.

open source is a kind of virtue signaling where people just bike shed about these things but when it comes down to it they all use closed source services that don't respect their privacy because they're popular and they work.

tumblr is gonna die, it's the hipster geocities and what it does facebook and twitter do better.

Good thread, we're fucked tbh
if we aren't fucked, you'd be sure our wives and kids will be

hipster *xanga

Twitter's been in a general decline for awhile now.

slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2016/01/twitter_needs_a_drastic_plan_to_save_itself_here_it_is.html

Here's a good article about it.

The issue I think with Twitter is that they cultivated negativity, Tumblr did this early on and it hurt them too.

If you use Twitter as it's intended and you don't use the tools to make yourself a hugbox then it's like stepping into a bar fight. Twitter has such a diverse userbase and diversity = conflict.

And yet here we are posting the same low effort content on image boards like we've been doing nonstop for the past decade.

twitter could collapse under its own weight when investors realise it can't into profit

just wait for the war against general computing when drm becomes a legal requirement for everything

we're doomed

Less women and niggers
Less content "creators"
Less self absorbed cretins
Less shadow banning
Less algorithmically censored speech
Less Jewish control of online communities
Less activist groups

Sounds a million times better.

the internet might stop being shit again. i wish someone could make a decentralized version of twitter to really nail that piece of shit site

Your autistic reliance on "year of the linux desktop" is pathetic.

There are already decentralized twitter analogs, but the average person has no incentive to use them if their only selling point is decentralization.

The network effect is a huge barrier to entry for any new social platform. Your initial product needs to have a "potential energy" high enough to self-perpetuate a network effect which is a value multiplier for the platform.

I can't wait for the (((media bubble))) to pop.

All these normies and their shitty social media is annoying. You can't even have a conversation with someone without them texting every 2 minutes.

Why are you guys so sure social media is a bubble? Do you think everyone is suddenly going to stop tweeting and facebooking or something? Even if those specific platforms go under, something will inevitably replace them just like how facebook replaced myspace. Seems like it's here to stay unfortunately.

Please see

(((Facebook)))
(((Twitter)))

Twitter and Facebook artificially inflate their numbers from what I've seen, neither platform is as popular as they pretend to be but even then they can always survive with subscription fees.

Do you seriously think anyone is going to pay for Facebook or Twitter? These companies always go bankrupt once they realize they don't actually make money and attempt to monetize. After all, these things are dime-a-dozen, the users just switch.

I would trade all of this social media bullshit for Geocities again. I don't care about user interaction, I just want a simple website that'll render with a 56k connection. Fuck Javascript.

because it's about learned mechanism of dopamine seeking behaviour.

Social media would have to inovate this by something like augmented chip that releases more dopamine per like, than normal human reaction for the perception that the human is accepted/popular, the effect will be working less and less, until the normie zombie hordes stop, because their brains became immune to likes

8ch is as close as you'll get to Geocities for the time being.

I know, I just wish that people knew what they're doing.

There are alternatives. Like hosting a Javascript-less site on heliohost or something.

AT&T already does this.
techdirt.com/articles/20150219/11473630072/ats-30-dont-be-snooped-fee-is-even-worse-than-everybody-thought.shtml
Or straight from AT&T's mouth: att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1011211