Jolla C / phone general

Allright, It's been days and not seen a single mention of new Jolla C here. UMPCs and n900 are praised often and many have asked about alternatives for Android / Apple but jolla is rarely, if at all mentioned.

jolla.com/jollac/

shop.jolla.com/eu_en/sfos-community-developer-programme-offering.html

In short:

Physical phone is based on Intex aquafish from india. Shipping starts for limited preorders in mid July.

Also general enthusiast / phone thread?

Sailfish compability list
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Some extra links
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Main_Page
sailfishos.org

Other urls found in this thread:

cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet
opensource.org/osd-annotated
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
jolla.com/the-other-half-developer-kit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Seems interesting. I followed the Jolla phone and tablet for a while, and Sailfish OS seems interesting. They had this thing where the phone cover had memory that contained a matching theme, so swapping the coloured covers changed the theme accordingly.

IS THERE A SINGLE FUCK OUT THERE WHO STILL MAKES SMARTPHONES 4" OR LESS?

IF I WANTED A FUCKING LAPTOP I'D JUST SHOVE MY GODDAM THINKPAD DOWN MY PANTS AND USE THAT

manlet hands confirmed

5 inches isn't even that big m8 At least not according to your girlfriends standards

my 4.8" phone already fill my pocket. if it isn't positioned just right it either falls out or digs into me when i ride my bike. i'm seriously considering buying an old iphone 4 or blackberry at this point, or using my old candybar

Looks interesting. But does it have some native stuff? What about a good video and music player, for example?

I know the feeling, still rocking my gnexus

SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE SAGE SAGE SAGE KILL IT WITH FIRE

Why do you get so upset by the presence of threads that don't interest you? I usually just minimize/hide threads that don't interest me, I don't feel the need to sperg out and use sage like a downvote

This is what you're supposed to do.

Sage is meant for an off topic response (such as this one)

It is not your personal downvote button.

NEWFAGS LEARN THIS PLEASE!

Downvoted and reported for whining.

just because OP was a faggot and should have added that snippet

Fuck this meme. What the fuck does my hand size have to do with a phone fitting reasonably/comfortably in my pocket? We don't all carry purses or wear pedo jackets to stuff it in. Some people actually leave the house in a button up and khakis, strange I know.

Thats on par with a pedo jacket.

Sage

PASS

my droid 4 is fine for now

It has okay(ish) native music player in sailfish. I'm not sure about supported video formats.
Android appstore players should work aswell.

Intex Aquafish will go in india for about 100€.
This phone doesn't try to amaze with specs really, just with what it can do with them on sailfish OS.

I guess this threads point was to be more about different phone OSs like Sailfish or Ubuntu phone, not just another halfchan consumerist / homescreen thread.

Are there any real alternatives to android or ios? How is the jewbuntu phone OS doing?

Pic related was a nice small phone, but it's a bit old by now. I wish there were more in it's form factor. The screen is 2.5 inches

noice

NORTH AMERICAN RELEASE/SUPPORT NEVER EVER

sure if you do anything physical, you don't worry about breaking it and you're not worried about tumor proximity

Didn't Jolla opt to make SailfishOS as proprietary as they possibly could? I'm just saying, lad. If you want an alternative to Android then Plasma Mobile is your best bet.

IIRC, they merely kept their GUI as a separate proprietary thing

That's the thing, they are really niche.

Back when they were readying their first device, I was quite excited about that rumor that the replaceable back would be used to customize the phone - it could add a better camera, or a keyboard, or gaming controls, whatever. But none of that came to be. So, I don't know, what's the point now? Why is it better for me, as an average person, to buy this instead of some Android phone?

I was considering changing over to a Jolla phone from my Nexus, but I thought they only supported Europe.

And didn't they go bankrupt?

Do I have to buy a phone that supports Replicant to have any freedom? I'm trying to avoid Android because it's shit.

Marketing Shills Threads belongs in >>>/g/ and >>>/4chan/

lol fuck modern phones, if you want to buy a phone that can only call and text get an ancient phone
>tfw I don't know where you can buy nonbotnet ancient phones anymore

Take your meds, Alex Jones.
Get a holster you lazy nigger.

Phones are known to cause cancer.
cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

babby's first troll, or just an illiterate?

I take my Super Male Vitality and Anthroplex every day.

I'd be much more interested in this if they just opened all of it up. But the default UI, Android compatibility layer and a lot of the first-party apps are proprietary.

I want to use an operating system that doesn't bind me to a particular company. Something I can still run if I switch to other hardware and something that can continue being developed if the original developer stops or takes it in a bad direction. But right now, Android is better at that than Sailfish. It's a shame.

This

No apps

"open source"
Fucking stop using this term, it means NOTHING. I can open source a code right now with no right to modify it or distributed it and it is just a big binary blob. Either say free software or what license it uses and if there are any binary blobs.

That's not true. Read the definition. You'll be surprised.
opensource.org/osd-annotated

You can even go to gnu.org and carefully read their explanation of why open source misses the point. They acknowledge that its practical requirements are similar to the ones for free software.
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

I don't like open source either, but you're criticizing it for the wrong reason.

Android is also open-source, why not make a degooglyfied version of that which actually works? if the chinks could do it....

Also

There are phones with 600 series chips for that price

Like Cyanogenmod? No Google, works great.

A large advantage of this operating system (and some other systems, like Ubuntu Touch) is that they're GNU/Linux, not just Linux. You get access to the features and support of desktop and server Linux. It's pleasant for technical users and apps don't have to run on the JVM any more.

It has google services

Only if you install them.

Yeah, but aren't they partnered with MS now?

I've been using an iPhone since work pays for it and you should assume that any mobile device is botnetted, only use it for normie shit. Also, 90% sure this iPhone is spying on me less than my old Google Services-infected Android did, that thing did some creepy stuff in regards to predicting searches from stuff I said around it.

Looks like it. I didn't know that. I use an unofficial build that's probably of a version from before they started doing Microsoft things.

There's still OmniROM.

What the fuck?
My 5 inch LG K8 fits in ever pair of jeans I have.
Are you a asian tier 1.5 meter long manlet or what?

Thats gapps, still comes with google services for other stuff

With android you can root the thing and do whatever the fuck you want, with an iphone you are pretty much letting apple jam a cock up your arse since you can't touch a damn thing retard

Freedom and privacy are two different things though. It is the stated policy of Android and all Google software to spy on you at all times. Appleshit at least claims to not spy on you, which means there's at least a small chance that they aren't.

Nigger we still haven't been able to make a botnet-free Chromium fork, and that's just one single program. What makes you so sure that anyone's been able to locate and remove all of the botnet from Android yet?

Obviously don't use appleshit you nigger just use a third option if it's available to you.

What's wrong with Iridium?

Android can give you the freedom to remove all the Google spyware. You can get it to the point where it doesn't connect to Google servers at all. You can't do such a thing to iOS.

I'll repost this here.

I consider buying blackberry Q10. Don't care about all them fancy applications.

That being said, I never used blackberry OS - can I get rid of botnet and bloatware?
also anything I need to know about bb

Iridium swaps out Google telemetry for telemetry to the Iridium devs. They probably sell your data to advertisers.

I still wouldn't trust it. But maybe I'm just butthurt because I fell for the FirefoxOS meme.

How about some PROOF you commie? show me where in the ToS it says that and that its not optional

Here's some free advice nigger: the FBI shit? was all show, the FBI already had the capacity to break into iphones thanks to previous colaboration from apple and the fact that ios security software is shit audited by nobody so its full of holes

With android you can take all the shit google put into it and throw it in the thrash, you can install whatever you want without have to suck dick to be in an appstore like you already do, and you can harden the whole OS to be as secure as fucking possible, you can even make it send fake normiedata to the pigs so they think you are alright

Blackberry already collaborates with any government agencies, why trust them?

That was a debugging thing they removed months ago.

Son you're on Holla Forums, we don't take kindly to "facts" around here. Did you know that systemd patches your bios and loads itself as hypervisor if you try to uninstall it? Some guy selling weed out of a public toilet told me so.

Too bad they haven't updated the binaries for Ubuntu in like a year

Can you lads recommend me a phone around the £100 mark? Screens just broke on mine, time to get a new one and I rarely use it but need one on me at all times due to medical issues.

Just buy a used one for like next o nothing.

why has no one developed ANY "other halfs"??? like literally phone has pins and shit on the back and you could connect any electronics to it using their jolla.com/the-other-half-developer-kit/ but no one has done anything or atleast is not selling anything

phone has good battery life compared to others since the OS is not constantly sending your location to NSA

Ugghh ive been fallowing jolla fir awhile but they and would love to own one but they dont ship to the us, aomwone please tell me how i can get one?

Is jolla phone botnet?
Is it really open source?
does a real open source phone even exist?

Maybe.
Only partially.

Bbos10.3 comes with amazon store which you can not remove from the system.

That means no.

They've been lying about eventually freeing their source since their inception.

Still following them with a desire to buy is akin to using 4chan.

Fuck off cripplephone shills.

There are a lot of parts that are not proprietary, even if most of them are boring because they're not original work.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was shilling for them. I said that it may be botnet.

This phone absolutely sucks.

They're also good alternatives with different and specialized minimalistic software without googleshittu.~

mi.com

The OS itself feels nice to use. It's an improvement over the old Blackberries.
Still, it's closed source. Use it for normalfag stuff but if you have anything sensitive keep it separate.
Also if size isn't an issue try the Classic or Passport. They're a bit nicer