X-Wing fighter

what the fuck?

pick one

/thread

at first I thought of coming up with some sort of "cost decreases with scale" logic. You know, the same type as making your sandwich from scratch vs using mass produced ingredients changes the price from 1500$ to 2$.
But no matter how much bullshit I write in that direction, there is no way to make sense out of those numbers. And so,

If you want a the cost the same to be per foot as the same as the x-wing which is 3750 credits per foot. Then the star destroyer would cost 31,680,000 credits.

But if the x-wing cost the same as the star destroyer per foot then the x-wing would cost 689,725.38 credits

The Star destroyer costs more so whats the problem?

They are not flat areas. Being three dimensional, their price should grow exponentially.

Clearly X-Wing should be even more expensive weapons platform to justify building any Star Destroyers at all.

X-Wings are really advanced ships for their size, compare an X-Wing with a TIE fighter for instance.

How much should it cost then? Can your autism really calculate a accurate cost for the x-wing proportional to a star destroyer?

still slower than a Star Destroyer
also

Nigga an F-18 costs like 30 million dollars and its 56 feet long.
The USS Gerald R. Ford carrier costs 5,1 billion dollars and its 1,100 ft long.

Either the X-Wing price is inflated or the Star Destroyer is really cheap.

Either way it doesn't make sense why a small fighter would cost only 1/1000th of a city-sized star ship.

How much is a credit?

The galactic Apple knock-off of SW secretly backed the rebels, they were loaded.

or the US gov is just that stupidly inefficient.. which would surprise no one. :'^)

the trench run in the first movie was retarded as fuck
Why not instead fly directly towards it vertically and shoot torpedoes down its shaft?

No, but it can explain to you why those prices are bullshit.
We're gonna get loose here. First, I'm not up to figuring out their exact proportions, so we're going to assume that our ships are half-a-cube-shaped. That means internal volume of each will be x^2.5
X-wing is then ~10200 cubic feet in volume.
A star destroyer is ~6500000000 cubic feet in volume.

X-wing then costs ~15 credits per cubic foot, while the destroyer stands at 0.02 credits per cubic meter.
This is a ridiculously tiny cost compared to the X wings.
Not even considering that a military vehicle of that size likely requires far tougher materials, more advanced technology and bigger manufacturing plants.

Why not launch torpedoes en masse instead of bothering with fighters at all? I can't imagine torpedos being any easier to intercept than craft designed to hold a pilot.

Because they didn't arrive on that side of the station

I wouldn't compare a carrier to a fighter aircraft. Carriers are actually surprisingly cheap and built on much less advanced technology than a jet fighter.
It would probably be more appropriate to put a carrier against a plain old tank.

As depicted every fight should be fought by nothing but fighters, they have no real need for carriers. A few nukes would be more cost efficient than a Death Star.

Star Wars is stupid.

XWings carry a higher cost per foot because the components need to be smuggled, is my guess.

How far can a torpedo travel?

Stargate master race, the only franchise which had actual military advisors during production

As far as the writer wants it to.

Stupid kino. The prequels anyway.

So fly around it and divebomb the motherfucker instead of going through death canyon with point blank laser cannons lighting your ass up

Credits are actually in logarithmic scale. When they tell you 100 credits, it's actually b^100 units of money (b = 6 since all of the counting in the galaxy is in base 6). So the star destroyer was actually 145520000 times the cost of an X-wing.
They did this because inflation was unbearable.

True that.
A jet is a sophisticated machine full of moving parts. The carrier is just a massive metal boat.

Fucking this. Wasn't the first aircraft carrier just an old converted warship?

Huh, is that an actual established thing (either in canon stuff or EU) or just a thing starfags like to use as an explanation?
If it's legit - any articles on that you could link?

Depends on how you define it. Wikipedia actually lists a big wooden raft used to land balloons as the first Aircraft Carrier

Source: my ass

Holy shit. The one I saw pictures of was used for landing bi-planes during WWI, if I remember correctly.

A more trustworthy source than most of expanded universe books tbh

What a cop out. I hope you're pulling this out of your ass because if it's an actual explanation it's beyond retarded.

Who the fuck would make a currency on a logarithmic scale?

Also, that would raise more questions than it answers since now the Star Destroyer would be FAR more expensive than it's actually worth.

who knew

your comment is so stupid it hurts
the fact that you added a cuckchan picture doesn't make it any better

His comment actually makes a lot of sense, tbh

Why don't you tell me where i'm wrong then?
The empire controlled all shipyards and all industrial centers like Corellia and Sullust.
The rebels had to retrofit civilian ships or build new hidden production facilities for everything.

Also what about that picture is cuckchan. If you say it's the filename you must be really fucking new here.

So you downloaded them from 4chan in 2015