Where were you when Glorious Nippon saved the capeshit genre?

Where were you when Glorious Nippon saved the capeshit genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/03/japan-responds-to-u-n-game-ban-request-fictional-characters-arent-real/
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Joker's_Body_Count
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_mythology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Restricted_and_repetitive_interests_and_behavior
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can't unsee.

Can't unsee dem dubs.

SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT DUBS TOO!

Can't wait for that one guy who always gets buttblasted by the term capeshit to show and be triggered.

I made the thread specifically for him : ^ )

;_;

how the fuck does that even happen?

Not so fast, SJW!

I wager that the Hebrews are at fault for this.

Kill me.

supes doesn't get enough opportunity to deliver something on par with the world of cardboard speech

He's written better because he is superman, unlike the edgy nihilistic nonsense DC is putting the Superman label on nowadays.

I was looking forwards to reading and watching this. I'm patient so I was going to wait a while longer so there would be more to enjoy. But you fucking shills have fucking ruined it for me.

Hype. Hype. Hype. You motherfuckers have no sense of proportion. I fully expected that for every interesting idea or cool scene there'd be at least one part cringey fanservice, anime high school cliche, or retarded scene where a character pontificates in excruciating detail on what's happening. But you homosexuals are sending me into this expecting the Citizen Kane of capes. If you are wrong, and I'm sure you are, every stupid /a/ trope I see is going to grate against my very soul.

You're ruining it for me bitches, you're ruining it for me.

When DC is drowned in period blood then you'll have my permission to die.

You can't complain about spoilers when you have ample opportunity to digest the work as it's coming out.

Since the last chapter came out I am thinking of dropping it since I doubt it can get any better -c-can it?…

Not spoilers, expectations.
"Glorious Nippon saved the capeshit genre!"
"Better superman than superman!"
Some people's mouths are writing some pretty big checks. I hope they're right, but in my heart I know they're wrong.

He passed the torch, Its now student vs student.

Hyperboles??? aside its leagues better than the shit we're fed with for the last decade not that that's an achievement though.

It somehow manages to be both lighthearted and address all the heroic archetypes and related dramatic character development without being cliched.

Even if it's not a masterwork it sure is what superhero comics should be.

Compared to 99% of the things that DC and Marvel publish nowadays… ehh kinda
It has its flaws, and it MIGHT fall into shounenshit if the writer is not careful enough, but aside from that its a fun read
As a superhero story it is a small beacon of hope, as its own thing its flawed but not enough to not enjoy it

But there is fanservice and it glorious.

If you worry about spoilers then read the damn thing.

For me it took 3 goes to read all 94 chapters and that was only because I had to stop reading because of IRL obligations.

What is the 1% and why haven't you story time'd it?

That 1% is Daredevil current run
It's decent enough to be fair

The rest is 2000AD, got Judge Dredd: Origins at a reasonable price the other day, I'm gonna buy an online subscription once the ABC Warriors new story-arc starts

Saved it? How? By being a mediocre anime series?

Even if that was the case its mediocrity would still suffice given how shit modern capeshit is.

At bare minimum it's an okay and that's if you hate capeshit. Even if you dislike the story the premise is strong enough to make it better than mediocre to even the most jaded.

Don't let the hype get to you. The hype only came about in contrast to what both capeshit and shonen fighting have become.

You should go in expecting a decent shonen battle series with superhero elements. No more, no less. Realize the hype is illusion. People are hyped because two genres that mostly suck now actually have a decent story going on in them.

You must not hype. Hype is the mind killer. Hype is the little death etc

ONE FOR ALL 1,000,000%, DETROIT SMASH + TEXAS SMASH

I just hope the 1,000,000% thing was Izuku being figurative and not to be taken literally.

Thank you Anons. You've quelled the turmoil in my spirit.

I figured. I saw pinups of frog girl floating around before I even heard of the manga.

i was in reality

It's not just the world of cardboard speech. It's his entire character. He's fucking corny as hell, yet he never yields in his optimism and hope. He is utterly dedicated to being a symbol of peace, even when suffering because of it.

It's the Superman I want to read about.

DC will never get Superman right until they give him back his trunks. They're a symbol of maturity, of understanding the inherent ridiculousness of the character and accepting it.

Once you embrace that Superman is silly, you can begin to write him without limitations.

>1,000,000
The translation I read said 110% implying that he had gotten to the point where he was able to add his force to All For One instead of just riding on it, so it was probably just exaggerated.

That still represents shonen ramp instead of doing something clever. Like maybe causing a rockslide to bury the guy or something.

Somewhere else in Nippon reading a better capeshit manga

I find one punch a nice gag comedy, but its eh.

Like its too one note.

The Frog shall quench your thirst.

Go in peace.

also:

check'em

And if the Frog isn't enough, there's a selection of waifus.

My favorite is AYY LMAO because even though she can't do anything right she remains perky regardless.

worst girl is headphone jacks

It was expected, though. One For All has long been stated to be the combined might of all who had it previously, but Midoria has only been able to do things at the level that All Might could. Now that he's bonding more strongly with All For One, he's going to be "All Might +1". We should see him slowly scale into it, and eventually be able to sustain himself at a higher level than All Might could before his injury. Eventually. It'll take a while to advance past his current 5% sustainability.

I see what you did there.

Just calm the fuck down and jerk off to the frog girl like everyone else.

Call me when they come up with designs as good as any of pics related.

I have never seen a perfect costume from Japan, and I can think of many, many better ones than these from the west.

PlusUltra
CLOACALOACA

shiggy

>>>/a/

with this faggotry. Japanese media is trash.

I see someone doesn't know dick about capes and just came here to 'gloat' because Japan tried and failed to imitate the superhero genre.

Shiggy Diggy yourself, friendo.

Holy shit, I just looked up your weaboo trash, and apparently it takes place in a world where everyone has powers.

I've seen this kind of garbage done before, and there are so many degrees of missing the fucking point every time.

Don't act like you don't want her to listen to your dick. Damn girl, that be hot.

Can we make a new Holla Forums with a BO that actually does his work?

Kind of like the guy/girl who dresses up in the Mickey Mouse costume at Disney World. It's silly as shit and it's a character they put on, but they still do it because it's for the kids and it's SUPPOSED to promote the kind of values that Americans love. Yeah, there is a real person under the costume that drinks, smokes, and swears, but you don't see any SJWs arguing that we need gritty, edgier Mickeys at Disney World.

My soul still cries user.

This. Boku no Hero Academia has the unique privilege to be the only piece of media comprised by a cast of best girl of all times and multiple second best girls All Might and Midoriya included.

blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/03/japan-responds-to-u-n-game-ban-request-fictional-characters-arent-real/

If there's one thing /a/ does better than Holla Forums it's banning shitposters.

Your salt sustains us, Holla Forums.

It's not bad, but to pretend that it's anything more than another shonen manga with a gimmick and use it as imageboard bait actually does it a disservice. I certainly don't recall this much hype for Horikoshi's previous manga, Omagadoki Zoo

Why are /a/ and Holla Forums so tsundere for each other?

Yes best frog

It's one strange relationship these 2 boards have…

And by strange, I mean homosexual. Holla Forums likes to take it up the butt.

nigga there's a whole arc of the story dedicated to the MC being born without powers, as many of the populace are

The stated ratio is ~80% with and ~20% without. Of those 80%, only a small number of them can be considered "powerful". The rest are in a tier with Midoria's mom, whose power is being able to gently lift tiny objects with her mind. Some people's quirks just amount to looking weird and being slightly stronger or slightly faster than average.

Of those people who have powerful quirks, not all of them seek to maintain law and order. The ones who are willing to use their powers to hurt and take advantage of people who are weaker than them are almost impossible for standard law enforcement to handle, so the government started recruiting people with powerful quirks who were willing to help and save weaker people.

It goes like this:

/a/ has a lot going for it. I'm not gonna lie. Japan produces an amount of comic and animated material so many times over what the US does it's not even a fair comparison. Among those, there's a few that are really, really good. I mean Hero Academia, as much as it resembles the shonen archtype, is still better than 99% of cape comics simply because it doesn't have the baggage the genre has accumulated.

On the flip side, a lot of what /a/ likes is just genuinley shit, and the same can be said for otaku actually out in Japan, and while it doesn't have the wests baggage it has a large emount of it's own baggage to lug around as a medium. Of course, Holla Forums can't actually talk given how they do the exact same shit over here. I swear to god people obsess over concepts like Best Girl in a way that's stupid as hell.

Once you get to actual users though /a/ are legitimatley just worse people as a board. I tried defending them years ago on halfchan and we came up with a test that put the argument to bed: Go to both boards and ask for reccomendations. /a/ will tell you to fuck off and reccomend Boku no Pico. Holla Forums will do it's best to share what actually good shit they DO have.

Holla Forums being love and consequently recklessly attracting newfags instead of encouraging lurking was what cucked halfchan.

Unless we change our normie-friendly ways we will always be a festering thorn on chans' sides.

I think it's too late for that. When halfchan crashed and casuals swarmed all over it, they discovered how lolrandom Holla Forums was, and they tend to go there first. Have you seen 8/b/ lately? It's a shithole.

Holla Forums will always bear the sin of letting the destroyers in, but this isn't their jumping-off point any more.

Why is Anime allowed to be discussed here?, no really, I am not even saging.

Try to pull of this shit at /a/ or some other waifufaging boards and you'll get banned…

Yeah, usually, if Holla Forums likes an Anime, it does terrible on Japan, lol!

Holla Forums usually allows "superhero" style anime and things that showed on Toonami back in the 90's. This usually means One Punch Man, JoJo, Dragonball, etc, and now My Hero Academia.

I imagine Yugioh would get discussed if there were any card-theme western cartoons, but that genre is strangely absent.

Rec threads just result in people listing a hundred random shows. It's useless, and completely unnecessary since you can easily Google for rec lists that are much more detailed and useful. /a/ users have also made a lot of images to that effect. But why does (4chan) /a/ refuse to make a sticky explaining this and linking to the /a/ stuff? In truth, they actually want people to make rec threads just so they can tell them to fuck off.

Maybe rec threads are not so bad for Holla Forums since there are far fewer shows to recommend and discuss, but the number of anime shows is absurd. This season alone there were about 40 new viable shows after excluding short shows and some kids' shows that probably aren't even being fansubbed.

/a/ battled Rec threads by recommending Boku no Pico over and over and over specifically because of the reasons you mentioned.

Ok I'll bite, how many TONS does those characters lift?

Holla Forums in it's golden days was far better than /a/ in it's golden days. /tg/ was also far better in it's halcyon days than /a/. The same could be said of a number of reasonably friendly boards. That period lasted YEARS too. I wouldn't trade that time for the world.

Normalfags didn't ruin those boards. Mods did. You can blame normies as much as you like but they can't do shit compared to one pissed off fuck who has no idea what makes the board great. If any groups fucked over old/co/ it was the general threads, but even then mostly only because faggots from other boards kept complaining and Moot had no idea how to deal with them. Now that they can fuck off to their own boards it's literally a non-issue. Not that it didn't take a damn long time for the 8/co/ mods to take a fucking hint at /sug/.

What the fuck? Stop this shit. Full/co/ is fine.

His SMASHes measure in kilotons but not in the sense of lifting power.

Oh.. so is more of this vague as fuck ki/nen/chakra shonen crap…

Come back when you're not new.

I'm not freech m8, I just think /a/ can fuck right off.

It's an OK scale for what it needs to be.

A one author series that'll actually end one day doesn't need the vast scales that go up to cosmic you see else where. Just going from human to decently superhuman is enough. There's literally no point in comparing most characters because only one dude needs to have the generic main character stuff and everyone else can have the crazy weird powers. You don't need to measure where as far as the story is concerned there's one speedster, one strong dude, and a couple of blasters.

It matters even less here because the story moves faster than most other manga and has basically no fat to trim. People compare it to Naruto but within a dozen episodes everything was at a place it took Naruto hundreds and chapter wise wasn't much different. The stuff that's not plot important gets skipped over and any long training is usually done offscreen.

Obviously the anime will catch up and do filler eventually but it's clear the story will probably only go a few more years.

Why can't these retards stay in their containment board?

Why do they have to crawl to Holla Forums with shit in their hands and cry for attention and recognition?

If it was a six year old it could be cute but this is just sad.

You must be new here

I am only one who think every Stan Lee related anime/manga has at least one trap? Hero-man and that other Manga

Fans of Western animation really aren't in any position to look down on anime.

The frog girl isn't really hot, and the story itself is the usual boring anime shit for kids and people with bad taste.

Capeshit always sucked and wasn't worth saving in the first place.

Yes we can. The Powerpuff Girls reboot is amazing. Blows all of that stupid weeb shit out the water with it's avant-garde use of memes and minimal animation. Don't get me started on the other fine Cartoon Network programs, like Steven Universe, Teen Titans Go!, and Adventure Time. All incredible examples of the power of Western animation.

While anime is dying because it's sick filth, American animation is fucking ALIVE and thriving.

Shitty Webcomics leave.

fuck off

No. There are no powerlevels or arbitrary asspull measurements. Most "superpowers" and mutations are judged by their practical appliances.

Probably not but Holla Forumsmrades can look down on /a/utists.

Seriously I believe I would have a more productive conversation about anime in Holla Forums rather than /a/.

Fixed it for you.

The 90's called, they are horrified at what they have seen of our future, and are working to fix it so that it never happens

that image cuts deeper than you think

it doesn't even have to be steven universe

1/10 TRY HARDER

When you put it like this, it makes animation look like it's for childish faggots with bad taste and low intelligence.

Ultimo?

One of the latest arc completions was translated a week or so ago. Plenty of time to catch up before chapters start dipping into normalcy before the next big arc. Unfortunately that's not near enough time for you to stop being a massive faggot.

I think he was being sarcastic, mate.

To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between satire and people being actual retards these days…

It's Mona Lisa compared to the absolute shit redesign.

I've watched about 6 episodes and so far this seems like a very generic shonen with an admittedly interesting concept and world.

So far this just seems like Superhero Naruto. does it get better?

it will get better
at least give it through ep 7

though the next arc (mini-arc?) has proper supervillains, so maybe watch that as well before calling it quits

Ok, you got me.

What works in All might's favor is that he isn't the protagonist of the series. Since he's a mentor he can have a completely established sense of identity. We don't have to watch him "become" superman because he's already been it for years.While DC keeps rebooting Clark so he has to go over his development arch again and again.

I think this hits the nail on the head. There was one big thing in particular that happens a couple episodes in that really put me off.

(SPOILERS)

I really liked what I was seeing in the first couple episodes, where it strongly implies that the premise of the show is that the main character has no powers, but tries to be a hero anyway, in a setting full of superpowered people. It says he has no hope of getting a power, he's one of the unlucky guys who didn't even get a shitty power. And it also implies that most of the people who do have powers, have pretty useless ones.

All this in mind, I was really liking the idea of a powerless guy being a capable hero in a setting full of superpowered characters. I was so desperately hoping that they wouldn't do an asspull where he gets powers. But of course, those hopes were in vain. This is an anime, after all.

The idea that I liked was "In a setting where the vast majority of people have some kind of power, the main character has no power at all but still tries to be a hero",
Not "Main character angsts about having no powers for a while, then just gets powers anyway".

It ruins the entire thing that had me interested in the main character, and the series in general

besides Tsuyu, obviously

That is the weakest part of the series is that its almost better without that first aspect.

Problem being otherwise we run into the batman paradox. Where instead of the superpower, the plot armor is increased multitudes times thicker.

And it would have gotten obnoxious with repetitive "Nuh, I don't think your cool because you don't have superpowers even after you defeated a billion villains!".

But that was the original intent of the writer though. And Im still caught up thinking how to do it otherwise. Because any impact of his origins is quickly lost after a while, but at the same time if he doesn't have superpowers then your left with either a tech stand in or plot armor thicker then…something thats very thick.

My thoughts were that, if it WERE to go down the route of the main character remaining powerless, then the power level of the whole setting would have to be toned down to fit that.

Which I don't think would be too difficult. I first assumed that was the idea behind the setting, from early impressions. That the vast majority of people with powers have weak/useless ones.

Maybe it would require very thick plot armor, but "plot armor" is only a problem when it comes across as contrived or unbelievable. Seems highly possible to me to write it in a convincing way, where the main character would hypothetically fill more of a "sidekick" role at first. The main character doesn't always have to be one of the most powerful guys in the setting, maybe it could just focus on him trying to make small achievements and defeat small-time villains, which would make for a much more dramatic, hard-won victory than if he were to, say, hypothetically, inherit the strongest power in the setting so he can do epic anime punches

This made me laugh harder than it should have and i thank you for the morning kek.

(Addendum) Also I want to add, that I liked the scene a lot, where Izuku runs up to the slime monster despite having no powers. And he's able to dodge the slime monster's attack because he's a meticulous note-taker, and is very observant. Of course, All Might had to be the one to actually defeat the slime monster in that case, since Izuku was powerless. But I think they could've continued down that route, and had it so Izuku could start beating low-tier villains himself, while also being a great strategist and "team leader" type who can help groups of superpowered people fight against the more high-powered enemies by analyzing the enemy's weaknesses, coordinating the teams, and hyping them up by being the ballsiest of them all despite being powerless.

I wasn't really hoping for him to be like Batman, I didn't want him to get power armor or a bunch of gadgets or anything. I just wanted him to be a normal guy who tries to fight impossible odds, and barely scrapes by through his wits and ballsiness. Even if another superpowered guy in the setting could have an easy time doing the same thing, that doesn't necessarily matter.

Before the part where it first shows Izuku use his powers when he punches the giant robot, I was still hoping right up until then that it'd pull another twist, and it'd turn out that he didn't actually get All Might's power, that he's still his normal powerless self, and All Might just told Izuku that eating his hair would give him super strength to motivate/trick him. But he'd still try to save the girl, and pull the rubble off of her with his normal human strength. That would've been much more climactic and awesome to me, than what actually happened.

I think you're right that the biggest problem is that it completely pulls a bait-and-switch. It does a long origin story where it states that Izuku is tormented by being powerless, and he has no hope of ever getting powers, but still he wants to try to be a hero. It strongly implies that it's the story of a guy who is powerless but still becomes a hero, when it's actually a story about a kid who gets a really powerful superpower and the entire beginning origin story becomes pretty much irrelevant.

Let me guess, you're one of those people that thinks the joker has killed millions of people, right?

If DC would just admit that everyone knows who Superman is and what it is to be Superman, we could have an actually good movie.

The same goes for all superheroes, really. Just because you're writing a hero's origin story doesn't mean you can rewrite a hero's origin and no one will notice. Just give us a good movie starring a superhero.

That's already a character, kind of.

I'd like this as well, but I'll settle for a tv show.

The thing is that just isn't feasable without everyone else eating a huge nerf at the conceptual level.

There's a reason that Batman is mockingly called the Batgod. He's given an unreasonable amount of plot armor and even his "human" skills are explicitly beyond what any olympic athalete could ever compete, in literally every single event, and he has a doctorite in every degree from every single top college. On top of that he has an obvious healing factor where he can be back up from a broken leg in two weeks and never have any permanent condition.

Batman is not a normal person scraping through a superpowered world. Because no normal human CAN survive in a world where if they get hit once by literally kill him or cripple him for life. Even Deku, who has a superpower that gives him insane strength and speed, needs to rely on other people's powers to even survive.

I guess my issue is that I'd like the idea of a sort of lower-powered setting.

It seemed to me, from the characters that I saw, that the vast majority of superpowered people in the setting have very weak/useless powers. Backdraft had a FIREHOSE POWER and he's apparently a capable and decently respected hero. And there's plenty of other examples of characters with weak, gimmicky little powers that would be hard to think of many practical uses for.
Didn't seem like so much of a stretch to me that a powerless guy who's particularly clever and courageous could match up to these low-level heroes, or fight low-level villains.

I liked the idea that he wouldn't directly go mano-a-mano with the big bad. The setting could generally have mostly low-powered heroes AND villains, and even then, the main character doesn't have to be one of the strongest guys in the setting. Could've made it so that he gets stuck in shitty situations that aren't necessarily "DEFEAT THE NEXT BIG SUPER ANIME VILLAIN OF THE MONTH". I think it would make it more climactic and tense if he was powerless, meaning he's up against tougher odds. I think it'd be very easy to tweak the story/setting to work like that, without going to the point of being completely contrived and impossible to believe.

I guess all those measurements for atomic bombs and shit are all fiction, then.

That sounds awfully close to what you already get in regular cape.

I'll say again that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The lack of self-awareness of some capefags really worries me.

Calm your tits. And I mean technically he has because the newer stuff HAS happened (Like it or not) as well as the emperor joker storyline.
As he became more a part of the expanded universe where super powered and resilient beings run amock he essentially has to be hit NEVER, or shrug off hits from being that crush boulders in a single blow.

I do also agree, a story of a powerless guy making a difference works…But not in a superpowers setting. Batman works best against just gangsters and robbers or such.

The idea that 1 man can go against 100 thugs through skill and wit is already sort of a hero story. But with superpowers it just indeed gets dull.

And overall I would prefer your version too the generic shonnen. But thats the problem with Japan. Even in stories where the hero has "No Powers" they are compensated with such insane skill or tech that it doesn't matter whatsoever.

I think maybe him making just a police taskforce that deals with super menaces a very mundane way would be fantastic (Not AOT but with like genuine equipment). Like that crappy looking CGI Gundam Series that had people taking on Gundams with regular equipment. It was very neat.

And again there is Batman so its not an exclusively Japan sort of deal.

No, he hasn't.

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Joker's_Body_Count

Emperor Joker. And whatever he killed hundreds not a million.

No Holla Forums is safe from s-u/ck, or what's become of Marvel and D.C.

Emperor Joker is an alternate reality so I'm really not sure it counts.

Alight this entire argument stems around the idea that Batman is not plot armored up the Wazoo because I don't know the exact amount of people the Joker has killed.

Batman isn't plot armored except in some JL stuff or times when he's written wrong. Comics featuring him are usually detective stories, which go as follows:

He really does have plot armor. Even in the so called detective stories the amount of stuff that doesn't kill him or just stump him is huge amounts of plot armor.

He's been training to be batman since he was what, 12?

He's the world's greatest detective for a reason. Plus that's barely even true as he has to find more evidence or wait for the villain to strike again regularly.

Yeah go kiss batgod already.

Nice argument, /a/.

I answered your non-argument with a non-argument.

This user:

already tore down your bat-idol.

how can I deny best girl

Imagine making out with her

You know that's pointless nowadays. Batman has been promoted to Super Genius, and Situational awareness gifted. To say he just has "no powers" is like saying Reed Richards is just a stretchy guy, when we all know Richards hasn't been plot relevant in any Marvel story because of his stretching abilities. It's his deux ex machina genius powers.

Neither of you read comics and that's painfully obvious since you don't understand how these stories work at all. It's not like they give you no explanation, or that he pulls wins out of his ass. Batgod is mostly just a meme, the point of his character is that he's a detective. This is how things go for detectives.

It's what happens to elongated man, sherlock holmes, etc.

Read some batman comics before you start trying to act like you know everything about the character.

I mean, we both know you won't, because you don't like comics or cartoons. And since that's true, what you should really be doing is asking yourself "why the fuck haven't I gone back to /a/ yet?"

If you think that's the case, why don't you provide some examples?

Man I didn't know you had an interdimensional portal. It would be great to read the comics your reading.

And Im SURE that through pure numbers there are at least 20 issues of no ass pulls batman. But Batman is almost an entirely asspulls character.

Gonna be brutally honest. In no way, shape or form, as of now, is My Hero Academia the super hero comic of yesteryear. At best it is what western comics could of been if feminist writers and lazy drawers and connections didn't corrupt the majority of western comics. What this means is that comics would of never really deteriorated from the 90's but stayed floating.
The reason I say this is because there are only a few characters in the manga that shine as true Heroes of the Golden Age era at most.
To make a long story short. Kid is found talking to himself a lot and studying. But not in the sense of "power=better hero" but understanding heroes and villains alike to reduce casualties during a fight or rescue
Essentially Super-man. Not bad really and the MC kept All Might falling into the trope of a hero picking and choosing a fight.
Anti-Hero similar to Super-boy who sees heroes being factually corrupt in their influence on the world for a better standing. Aims to kill them all and only a few true heroes to live. Willing to put his on body on the line to save the few true heroes to.
Greed
Selfishness
Revenge
Power
Self-Centered
Every other fucking hero is trash since they all occupy these mind sets as the reason why they are "heroes". Reason MC is such a great hero is because he puts others lively hood above his own even if the choice costs him recognition. His own friends will not take his advice or plans because they want to prove their "worth"? They're not fucking adventurers. They are heroes who need every fucking detail they can get to come out with as little risks as possible. The only reason MC gets thrashed so often is because everyone else sits on their fucking ass while MC moves without hesitation. Every last one, even the heroines are shit because they are all "heroes" for selfish fucking reasons that doesn't include putting their lives on the line for others. Sorry for long post but only 3 in that entire manga are worth their weight in gold. Everyone else are selfish in their desires and dare to wear the title of Hero.

Eh, people said the same thing about OPM. It's a decent shonen series, which is a breath of fresh air compared to all the shit we're getting from the Big 2 nowadays, but I don't see how an occasional gem like this redeems an entire genre. We've always had stuff like this coming out of other comic publishers.

Examples, user.

one of my favorite characters

she really is best girl

Just want to say that this thread prompted me to give this series a shot, and your posts here have summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Also fuck the "Batman Paradox" or whatever. The answer to that is just don't write him like Batman. He doesn't need to be able to constantly be able to beat characters with super powers, his strength was established to be his analytical ability and having the mindset that a hero is supposed to have to begin with. Write it so that he slowly earns the respect of the other heroes who start to appreciate that about him (while still having to dal with characters who are too stubborn to do so).

Also give him some tech, this universe seems to be advanced enough to allow for giant mechs, and it's an established rule that these heroes are allowed to bring equipment to aid them in the use of their powers, so there is no reason why he couldn't make up for his lack of powers with some weaponry.

Mr. Lieber's a Romanian Hebrew, though. That makes him a Gypsy-Jew!

But you already fall into the batman paradox with tech. To the point that again its not about the core concept anymore.

If he can make up with a lack of power with weapons then those with powers can just get more weapons or their powers don't matter.

Seems like he's trying really hard to protect his virginity.

The thing is that tech people are strictly support and the actual degree to which they help is clearly debatable. Any speed enchancing gear is out of the question because that shit is clearly bulky and has control issues. It only takes one hit from something strong to fuck it up.

And if you give him a mech he's not a powerless guy in a super powered world. He's another japanese teenager who fights monsters in a mech. Which is even less original.

Fix'd.

He just can't help it; he's Touma and there are haughty magical bitches to be punched. He can get his teacher to pop his cherry afterwards.

If everyone was the same, there would be no one to be lead by example, If Midoriya wasn't there a lot of people would have still do the same, Even Midoriya made All Might think differently in the second episode, when he threw himself at the Villian when he had no powers.
In my opinion, it would be an extremely boring Tibetan picture magazine if everyone was exactly the same than Midoriya, All might and Stain.

Not a the direction I meant. Each individual could have their own motive to be a hero while still keeping the hero title intact. I.e. superman and batman. What I am saying is that the majority of heroes of the manga are different flavors of Booster Gold. Yeah, they can perform heroics but they consider their own wellfare before others.

This is her first fucking line describing her motivation for being a hero in wikia. This description fits quite a few jobs okay. But a hero is not one of them. Nor would police, doctor or nurse. We know people like that exist, but doesn't make them any more respectable. Hell, most of us are paranoid to get a doctor with this kind of attitude.
Went after Stain for nearly killing his brother. All for the sake of revenge. Even ignores an injured hero in the vicinity to satisfy his revenge.
Later on criticized Midori for wanting to put his life on the line to save an abducted hero in training saying that Iida and Midori motives were similar to Iidas Stain incident.
That was the dumbest shit I ever read.
Equates power and fighting skill to being a top hero. During tournament arc it showed other professional "heroes" thought the same when those heroes talked with each other. Need I say more on that ideal?

It's not that I want cookie cutter reasons. I just want a reason a person is deciding on the road to being a hero that isn't bullshit or corrupt. Also who do I hate the most in the manga? Bet you wouldn't believe it's
Midori puts his life on the line long before getting a quirk. Recovery girl now refuses to heal him because she believes Midori is getting injured frequently because he believes the quirk makes him invisible.
This right here user is a projection of her world view onto the Midori. Midori was never thinking he was immortal. Just that if he has power like he does he believes he has a responsibility to use it for others sake. RG doesn't see what it means to hold the title of Hero and now MC will suffer future pain without quick recovery. And because of this incident the MC may start questioning his hero morals. I hate RG with a passion.

If you had ever posted on the 8/a/ gulag for any length of time then you would know why they run for any port in a storm. There are concentration camps that are more fun loving and joyful to be in than 8/a/.

You're missing the point.

The think about this comic is that even a total asshole with no redeeming qualities can be a hero, because actions speak louder than words. Bakugo was easily the worst of them by a wide margin and despite everyone expecting him to go villain he never lost conviction and kept his loyalty. The last chapter is effectively that even the eugenics crazed asshole who was behind All Might in the rankings wanted to surpass him legitimately.

Its because of anime logic explosions don't cause burn wounds for some reason. Especially when their chemical based.

His actions is that he is a glory obsessed sociopath.

He is more of a inferiority complex teen than anything.

Yeah, but why do they have to post shit anime here?

No he was as psychotic and egomaniacal as a young child as well. Also prejudiced against those without powers.

Like this at the very core undermines its premise. He never needs to learn a lesson. All Might never even gives him a talking too about how dangerous and psychotic he is.

Like If they explained that in this utilitarian world that they need even psychopaths to be "Heroes" because they need the law enforcement thats one deal.

But its all happy go lucky the second he makes it to the Hero Academy.

Because it is their nature.

Your tumblr is showing.

That's an oxymoron. Eugenics are the most rational approach to society.

And yet he does his job.

Which is the point. He's an asshole with no experience and hes dangeroys, but that's why he's in training and gets the strictest treatment. But being an asshole doesn't make you not a hero if you still do your job and fight bad guys.

I'm sorry. I may be confused with his refusal to be rescued as a wise and selfless act.
Whether he is not a villain does not automatically make him a hero. At most the kid acts chaotic good. Any action taken to accomplish his goal. The pairing test arch showed this. Guy acts as an honorable warrior at most. This isn't a hero.

Katsuki point of view as a kid has already been shown. Boy was confused by his power but once explained to him and viewing all might the boy sees anyone else without power as lesser beings. The moment midori gave a hand just to fucking help him Katsuki inferiority complex flared up like a fire cracker. Everyone but All Might and Stain keep Midori at arms length for no fucking reason other than recognition. Everyone in that manga is a shit.

You don't really seem to 'get' the conditions of the setting.

In Marvel and DC the thing is there is always another hidden kingdom with a wise god king or noble heir who is always a hundred percent right. They can come together to form a justice league that will always be just and right because they need to keep a status quo and justify 40 different authors concepts working together with disparate and often contradictory ideas.

Hero Academia doesn't work that way. There's no lost kingdom of heroes to swoop in and save the day and they can't hold out for there to be hundreds of mystic chosen ones who are always noble and good. You know exactly how many people there are with powers and where they come from. If you expect a superman to appear from nowhere and save the day with nobody knowing how or why it just plain is not going to happen. Your only option is usually to either have someone with stupid powers who works really hard, or deal with a total bastard who's in it for their own motivations but has the power to stop them right up, and the total bastard will basically always be more useful.

It's the same reason the X-Men, even when mutants are reasonably common, always have to deal with total jackasses like Wolverine and Emma Frost. They have a limited pool and a constant barrage of problems. That's why All Might is the best. He's not only the strongest, but he's the one that actually has that moral authority. He's a Superman in a world of X-Men.

underrated post

I get the condition. You just don't know what I'm saying. I said it here, . Though the manga is a fun read, it's not the second coming OP makes it out to be. At best the manga is at the writing level marvel and dc were at during the 1990s.

I think OPM is an interesting take on capes. the story of what if superman showed up late to the DC universe and had to work his way up the justice league.

but also saitama is a different kind of guy. more relaxed and casual than superman's intensity.

Didn't the author do some kind of one-shot a while ago about a salesman (in charge of selling tech to heroes) moonlighting as a hero (illegally) because he wanted to help people? And taking the company's products on practical tests was just a bonus?
Or am I thinking of someone else. I forget. It's been a long time since I read that particular one-shot.

You are right. This was the original concept but got dropped. All-Might's equivalent was incorporated into the the main franchise though.

It's basically the same logic in both cases.

It's not the best comic ever, but it defaults to the best "serious" hero comic out there just because of the caliber of other comics being produced.

No its the repetative "Us superheroes care more about titles then saving peoples". Thats the most one note aspect.

Its absolutely nothing like capes (Or capes at its best or even current capes at their worst).

oh please, western capes take on and abandon titles like they were condoms. Shield leadership changes hands every other week, every 2 months there's a new robin, there's about six different spider men running around and, "I'm captain america, no I'm captain america, with a robot arm! no, I'M captain america and I'm black!" bullshit meets femm thor who will likely give up the hammer when she gets bored

It's actually refreshing to see people care about title and position and prestige like people in real life actually do.

Competition for good cape comic is already set so low that any average capr comic feels like a second coming when it isn't.

buddy you have some pretty interesting taste

I like it

cartoons

video games

Because this story is meant to be a generatioal one from the get-go.

Nobody gives a fuck about the title of Iron Man if Tony's only meant to have been IM for a few years. It can't be given it's weight if the whole world is in arrested development.

anime is cartoons

and yet things like the name Captain America, Spider Man, or an Avengers invitation had some semblence of prestige, until lately when they started handing those titles out in cereal boxes.

You know what, you're right user. I'm gonna go over to /a/ right now and make threads about Wander Over Yonder and DC comics.

Every protagonist has plot armor, user. Do you know what we call a story where the main character dies in the opening act?

Terrible.

I feel like shitposting Adventure Time in /a/'s Jojo threads, who's with me?

They're different schools of animation.

Holla Forums is /a/'s designated shitting board. We unload our shitposts here so we keep /a/ pure. Western animation is such trash that not even it's defenders can muster any real defense of it. Even Holla Forums's BO knows that this is all the board is good for.

Anime is better than western cartoons, but not the ones that are frequently talked about on /a/.

What shows would those be?

If your beef with MHA is that in a society of superheroes where the general concept of justice (held by most citizens in the manga) comes down to 'beat the bad guys up' and that there will be people who call themselves 'superheroes' but only do heroic acts for selfish reasons, then I hate to disappoint you, but that's basically human nature.

Not everyone is that selfless, so it'd make sense that selfish people who want to be like the cool guys on TV would register themselves as a hero and make up the majority of the heroes as a result of how the superhero society works. Not to mention, if everyone in Midoriya's class had a heart of gold, then Midoriya wouldn't stand out as much other than being a generic shonen archetype. His courage is also one of the reasons why he got chosen to be All Might's successor, otherwise you could keep asking 'why didn't X get chosen?'. Ideally, there could be more actual hero characters with their own view on heroism, though it's more likely that the rest of the class gets identical character development down the line, sort of like Persona 3.

Cool you find that refreshing, but I just find that more annoying crap like the annoying crap you mentioned.

Thing is the reasons superheroes don't care about titles is because in their world there is no space for pettiness because supervillains are always a step away from nuking a town, or getting the ultimate weapon, or taking over the world.

So they can't afford to squabble because its a war where they are the only soldiers. But these other stories have more of a focus on just pure fights, so of course nobody cares.

french cartoons
japanese cartoons
chinese cartoons

all cartoons

anime is just more specific, we are a general board which is why french and korean cartoons end up here

fuck off

Like I said, cartoons and anime are two different schools of animation. They have vastly different philosophies regarding animation and different animation techniques, character designs, visual language, narratives, etc.

Highschool DxD, To LoveRu, Infinite Stratos, Baka-H, DATE A LIVE, etc etc. Quality shows

I haven't been too much to Holla Forums's /a/ but I don't think any of those shows are discussed much unless they're airing. If you go there now and arrange posts by reply count you'll see the results a little different from what you think.

Except Touma isn't normal he is kind of the foundation of reality and what keeps it from falling apart. Hamazura is that character and one of the three protags of the To aru universe. He literally has no special powers other than the fact he got his heavy equipment operator licenses so he could drive big shit. The fact he is such an exception to the rules and still manages to hold his own in a world of Gods and Monsters is why Aliester has such a massive hardon for his death. He is a statistical anomoly that manages to barely survive all this bullshit by quick thinking and flat out balls to the wall courage that he threatens Aliester's decades long plan that has taken ever other even into account. More than tha the ripples he sends out by fighting and saving people who served a purpose on the plan are very slowly spreading outwards and interacting with other aspects of the plan. The latest volume ends with Aliester leaving his tank to go personally murder him along with a few other people that could fuck shit up.

Dude I was obviously bullshitting. Those series are all bottom of the barrel haremshit with no real plot other and soft core T&A. Not saying they are not enjoyable every once in a while for shits and giggles, but they are in no way good.

You may have lost track of the conversation:
To which I then said that they aren't talked about much.

Never watched it but I want to hold hands with the frog girl.

this shit
So are rotoscope, CG and celluloid

However they are still cartoons

dibs

we all do

checked

A cartoon can contain rotoscoping and CG. Cel animation is just a way of creating and filming animation.

Anime and cartoons, as I've already said twice now, are different schools of animation. They are completely different from each other. About the only thing they have in common is that they are both animation.

This.
The sticky says this board is literally for western cartoons. I'm not one to trash anime, but this should really be on /a/.

I mean, they do now, before it was done pretty sparingly.

No, there's not.

There are two characters called spider-man, and spider-gwen.

It's only permanently changed 4 times as far as I can remember. Fury > Hill > Stark > Osborn > Steve > Maybe Black Fury but I forget, I haven't followed a Marvel comic since 2013

You don't read comics. This thread is teeming with retards from /a/ that want more than anything for Japan to outdo the west, but protip: It'll never happen. The Japanese don't understand superheroes.

That's the whole point of he Stain arc. The writer is not ignorant on what constitutes a "hero", it's just that sociey as a whole is as cynical and utilitarian as IRL is.

Maybe you could say they don't understand American superheroes, but they have their own versions of superheroes. Superheroes are just fictional characters.

Holla Forums's moderation is based though when /a/'s moderation is a redwood wannabe tranny.

That's still Shonen

And yet /a/ has quality discussion that stays on topic and Holla Forums is.. Holla Forums. That is to say a festering shitpit that accurately reflects the state of western animation comics.

They really don't, they lack the imagination for it.

Concrete Revolutio wasn't exactly lacking in imagination. If anything it had too much of it.

Holla Forums stays more in topic if you consider that our topic is how shitty the western cartoon and comics' industry has become.

It throws together different kinds of superheroes, supernatural beings, magical girls, youkai, aliens, time travelers, scientists, government conspiracies, historical political issues, parallel worlds… fucking everything. That's why I said that it may have too much imagination. It also has a non-linear narrative that jumps between different timelines.

Thread is not about anime. It's about how shitty capeshit has become that even Japan has a better concept of what morally constitutes an ἥρως.

Quick, what is the name of this bear family?

That doesn't really sound imaginative, just like a clusterfuck.

I also see approximately zero superheroes in those screencaps.

We've been over this, weeb. MHA is barely even a superhero show because nippon doesn't understand capes. They seem do constantly do this "everyone has powers" nonsense, regardless of the fact that it totally defeats the purpose every time.

Th-that's almost worse than a turk!

Berenstain

The Derailstein Bears

I have seen many people confuse "Pirate Monkey Ninja Robot LOL" with creative.

Creative is having all that make sense within the Universe. Thats why In my opinion at its height DC had better world building then marvel because it was filled with these sorts of outlandish locations that are ridiculous when you think of them as altogether.

Not mutually exclusive.

And? I just picked some screenshots I had taken.

Superheroes are fictional characters and the Japanese don't have to write them exactly the same way Americans do.

Let's not overdiscuss this shit for the 6millionth time ITT.

t. Midoriya Izuku

This. It's like a Greek or a Nord complaining that Americans don't understand classical heroism.

I think sums it up nicely. There are also layers upon layers of unintentional but perfect symbolism in their literally living universe if you subscribe to hypercrisis.

Again you miss the point. If everyone has powers, there aren't superheroes, there are just people with powers, because having fantastic extraordinary abilities is commonplace.

So every fight goes from "the superhero has to stop the villain" to mutant vs mutant.

But Americans do understand classical heroism.

Why is she so perfect?

How is this related to what I said?

Then you're saying the way comic book characters lik Thor are written are exactly in line with ancient Norse sagas? Not likely.

Not exactly, no, but they function pretty much the same way.

If you posted here, you'd know that the comparison of the Justice League to the greek pantheon isn't exactly a new concept.

It's a bold claim to say that superheroes written in 20th century America are the same as characters written in ancient Greece or 13th century Iceland. And that they're more similar to each other than contemporary American and Japanese superheros.

You know Superman is Hercules, right?

Do Superman stories have the same cultural and moral values as ancient Greek stories?

So he is a drunken asshole that regularly loses control and kills those around him and in remorse for his actions completes random tasks to that he will be accepted back into society which fears and shuns him?

Dude, you realize that Japan at least has a vibrant and profitable manga industry while comics in the USA are fucking Squirrel Grrrrl-Power shit that sell under 10,000 copies before getting canned, right? The industry in America is dead as dead can be.

I don't even know what you guys are arguing about anymore. BHA is a universe where mankind is evolving and the majority of people now have powers. There are no "mutants" because being a mutant is considered "normal." Heros in this universe are the people that have abilities suited to fighting crime and rescuing people. Just like in our world a fire-man that rescues a family from a burning building is called a "hero" because what he does is not something that just any person could do.

Your definition of hero is based on a pixar movie? How about we use the actual definition of a hero and not rely on a fictional edgemaster named Syndrome?

Also, I am pretty sure that hero stories are timeless and cross ALL cultures. The idea of a big strong man that protects the weak and innocent can be traced back to the first time a stone-age boy watched his father defending their home from wolves or a bear. Americans don't hold an intellectual copyright to the concept of a hero.

Hercules was just super-strong, saying that BnHA commoners have "superpowers" is like saying Greeks have superpowers for being able to lift things.

Because she can't stop daydreaming about anal.

Pretty much.

Not the same cultural and moral values necessarily since they were created by a centuries-old society, but the basic Idea is the same.

Hell, he even has his own version of the 12 labors as a nod to Hercules.

Greek Myths were essentially the shared universes of the modern big 2, with the same level of contradiction and obfuscation.

You don't know what you're talking about.

This is what I'm saying. There would be nothing spectacular about Hercules, Odysseus, or any greek hero if every citizen could do what they did.

Odysseus essentially has the same 'superpower' as Batman, guile and wit. It's not just superpowers but the capability to be a hero that makes them extraordinary. To make the fantastic the norm robs it of any importance.

Confirmed for only watching the Disney movie.

Good to know, I don't read capeshit.

Because Hercules' powers are so realistic, right?

Well the basic ideas between American and Japanese heroes are the same too.

Alright, so you just have autism and shitpost all day? Thanks for saving my time. I won't have to waste any more posts replying to you.

For anyone else reading this thread this guys has a bug in his ass for some reason that he won't make clear (because he is argument baiting) and he ignores 90% of your argument.

Even in BHA there are some powers that are suited to being a hero and some that are not. The fact that he ignores this and insists on pushing the Syndrome definition tells me this is guy is not arguing in earnest. Good luck winning the fight against autism.

Also, like Batgod, Odysseus was born a hero and a King. Classical heroes' "superpowers" were their noble birth and superior Helleno-Aryan genetics. If you were born a berberoid commoner of non-divine ancestry then you had not a single chance of having an epic written about you or even be mentioned by name in one.

Also just like Midoriya he was favoured and magically buffed beyond physical possibility by a tall blonde blue eyed deity and not just once.

protip: they can't

They were within the realm of not destroying solar systems by sneezing.

Pretty much this.

Bullshit.

Wrong again, weeb. The Japanese have no greek pantheon, no grand legends. To my understanding, the closest thing Japan has to Superman is Goku, but even he isn't that similar.

When Japan does superheroes, it either seems to be parody or is more of this late-stage X-Mansion/Avengers Academy shit.

user, I'm making points. You can give up if you want, but yes, I will double down on my arguments when you say nothing that discredits them and just go "muh manga industry" and "muh capeshit".

What argument have you made that I've ignored? That if everyone has superpowers and there's a massive superhero training program that there's still something special about being one? How could you possibly reach that conclusion?

My point exactly.

God I find myself sick now of MHA even though I started off as a fan of it.

No its not a superhero show in the vein of American superheroes. Its a shonen show with a superhero flavorings.

They might as well have been ninjas, samurai, or some made up name for a term and the story and themes would have remained the same, and it wouldn't have even ever shown up on Holla Forums because its so unrelated. Its strange but like the first 6 or so chapters feel like completely different themes then the rest of the manga afterwards.

First we are introduced into this corrupt society where because you have powers, no matter what kind of psychopath you are, you are popular and worthy of becoming a hero (In the vein of classic USA superheroes).

But the second that Izuku gets his powers the story becomes this sort of relaxed shonnen fighter. Its like as if "Well now that I have superpowers corruption doesn't bother me anymore because Im on the top".

The #2 hero apparently abuses his wife and left burn marks on his child but nobody gives a shit (Especially not the #1 Hero).

Just replace the word "Hero" with "Samurai" and its identical.

You really aren't. You just adamantly insist bringing back the same arguments other anons discredited multiple times over.

I was referring to the citizens of Boku No Pico Academia.

I'll ask again: discredited how?

"Nuh uh" isn't an argument.

Whoops I got it confused his mother left burn marks. Well then nevermind. Argument=Broken.

One of the main reason Naruto sucks ass is because you just can't just take an appealing term like "ninja" and "chakras" and fill it with whatever context you want.

Reread the thread.

You have to forgive my fellow /a/utists. They aren't used to debating outside of the approved /a/ positions without being banned for frivolous reasons anymore.

Jesus fucking Christ you fucking sperglord!
see:

Yup.

But my point still stands. Call all the "Heroes" and "Quirks" ; "Manamancers" and "Mana Manifestations" and it works just as well.

You're either baiting or retarded, but I'll humor you anyway against my better judgement.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_mythology

Yes the point is that "quirks" are not superpowers in the same sense that IRL mutations are not X-men "mutations".

See this is where the japanese depiction of heroes differ from western comics. In japanese comics they are allowed to picture life outside the conflict. Life inbetween the cosmic struggle between good and evil. they show what heroes do when evil isn't attacking.

wheras in western comics the heroes life IS the struggle. Evil is constantly attacking and they don't have time to live. God forbid if Batman or Captain America are shown to have desires outside of The Conflict.

Like it or not, pettiness is a human trait and not showing your heroes with pettines or greed, or ambition, or aspirations is doing them a disservice as characters.

oh yes, the old "you weren't being 100% accurate so you don't read comics" argument. Its not like there aren't enough examples to back up my intentionally vague hyperbole with dick, jason, tim, and damien. and the new black not-robin in the new reboot. and really? spiderman? do we have to go over the history of spider-clones, spider-twins, et-al?

But I shouldn't bother. something tells me you've firmly made up your mind and anything I say would be dismissed as "one of those /a/ faggots" because I bother to enjoy and find good points in both. I've already failed to meet your burden of knowledge once and you've dismissed me.

How am I a weeb?

They've been consuming American pop culture for a century or so and you're really, really overstating this connection to Greek mythology that superheroes have.

Japan has no mythology of its own? Ok, sure. Must be true since you said so.

Super sentai is a thing too. Magical girls are also often a variant of superheroes.

I see nothing, so you'll have to enlighten me.

There's not a new robin every two months, you're just wrong there. Most robins with the exceptions of maybe Jason and Stephanie held their position for a significant amount of time.

There aren't six spider-men running around. Maybe if you mean people with spider-powers that would be right, but I challenge you to find any hero that doesn't have some duplicates. How many Speedsters are there? How many Kryptonians?

I think you misunderstood me, I didn't mean that Japan didn't have mythology, I meant that manga didn't.

user.

Its not written like that nor framed like that.

No character ever says "Enjis abuse of his wife is well known, but because of his powers he is given special privileges".

Its more like the writer didn't think about it. Nobody even ATTEMPTS to calm down the Psychos.

Izuku would have been grim about superheroes and disillusioned because they are just brutal police in colorful costumes and the bully that abuses him for years just because he doesn't like his face gets all the awards.

All Might talks a big deal about pillars but he never minds all this corruption and vile behavior existing right within the superhero community.

When all might has an opportunity to make a real hero our of Katsuki but doesn't. Because what is supposed to be moral pillar doesn't care or isn't written well enough.

Nah its just japans highschool obsession. The characters do not have much lives outside of their fights whatsoever as well.

This isn't a booster gold story. This is…just flat out poorly written. Thats all it is. Its just another created reason to have characters fight in a highschool with tournament arcs.

you're taking my statements way too literally. go reread them from the point of view of someone who isn't an IRS auditor and realize that yes, there ARE a lot of batmans and yes there ARE a lot of spider-men running around, and people who've taken the spider-man name.

Read the fucking manga.

The worst corruption is Fire dude who is an overly competitive prick.

I mean, I kind of get what you're trying to say, but it's still wrong.

This kind of 'taking up the mantle' as a way to make 'Female Wolverine' or 'Female Thor' for example is a relatively new thing. When it happened before they usually made a big deal about honoring the person/people who came before them.

You sound like a SJW now. The "corruption" and "vile" misogynistic behaviors are just common everyday vices of individuals while their "heroic" status results from their social utilities and protection and the fact that they put their lives on risk to achieve that.

The reason All Might is prominent as #1Hero is because he manages to refine his outstanding "heroic" social image with outstanding actual moral integrity.

It's about the 9001st time someone explains you that ITT but you are simply to autistic to grab it.

I was talking about OPM more than the manga in the OP which I have yet to get around to watching/reading. In One Punch Man, Saitama does have a life outside of the conflict,

you might very well have a point with the highschool thing though, japan does seem to focus on high school as the greatest time of their lives.

Do you think you're only arguing with one person?

I suppose there can be more than one non-functional autists in this board.

You're the one coming here trying to lecture comic book readers on the medium they enjoy when you don't even read them yourself.

That's pretty autistic if you ask me.

Senior's high school is archetypally and instinctively the age when heroes become prominent and their actions matter and also the age when girls are sexually appealing . If you are not a king or married** by the age of twenty then you are pretty much expendable and/or a waste of tribal resources.

Japan is just the place where they flip-off a century of feminist subversion.

No. Just the spergs that can't admit they are wrong when tens of anons discredit their claims with actual arguments.

What are you? A weeb?

The problem is that western heroes aren't allowed to show any ambition or any kind of drive, they aren't allowed to WANT a title, or keep a title, whereas in real life you're going to WANT the title of "Avenger" and you're going to fight to keep it, to protect it. Because that title would come with a lot of prestige, power, wealth, ect. Getting an Avengers membership should be like winning a nobel prize, or an Oscar.

Also, where's the people who WANT to be Captain America and will fight to keep the shield? When Steve Rogers comes back and says "hand me back that shield, boy" everyone goes "Sure thing, Cap!" and hands it over.

I have the suspicion that you may not know what "weeb" means.

This. There's no depth of character in western capeshit. Selfless moral integrity is so universal that it becomes a tiring cliche and the hundreds of heroes and up being just the same Mary Sue character with different superpowers.

in terms of pop culture impact, Astro Boy/Tetsuwan Atom

in terms of a classical cultural analog, they have Susano-O, the mythological first samurai, slayer of Yamato-no-Orochi by getting him drunk then beheading him (such trickery on the part of heroes is prevalent in mythology no matter the culture)

Superman was based on Nietzsche's ubermensch anyway

fucking weebs with thier weebshit games ruining this thread, amirite?

missed the point.

Did I hear someone say__
Your turn, sperg.

Autists are physically incapable to comprehend the concepts of irony or sarcasm.

How?

What are you talking about?

How am I autistic?

You people sure got butthurt fast.

Oh sorry. Did not notice that you replied to a counterargument by literally repeating the argument it was countering.

naw man I just don't like picking on the autistic. its not your fault you can't grasp concepts like irony, hyperbole, or sarcasm.

By being autistic.

I am talking about you being a newfag in addition to a "weeb"-spouting autist.

I'll ask again: DISCREDITED HOW?

The problem is that western heroes aren't allowed to show any ambition or any kind of drive, they aren't allowed to WANT a title, or keep a title, whereas in real life you're going to WANT the title of "Avenger"
Are you trying to imply that it's not an honor to be an Avenger or member of the Justice League?

Pretty much every time they let someone in there's a "this is such a big deal to me" scene.

You mean Bucky?

Except for when Steve and Bucky were Captain America at the same time, right?

I think Astro Boy would probably be closer to Human Torch (the original) than Supes.

Partially, yes, there are a number of influences.

user, I wasn't mentioned in any of those replies. Why are you so retarded?

fuck, this should have been greentexted.

What are you talking about?

How?

How am I a newfag? Why are you accusing me of bringing up "weeb" when I factually did not do so?

By being autistic.

I am talking about you being a newfag in addition of being a "weeb"-spouting autist.

Dunno, some say vaccines other say it's because your mom was too old when she conceived you.

Oh, Jew.

this thread is filled with nuance that you are incapable of getting.

Its no wonder you like western capes so much with them being so devoid of that nuance.

How?

How am I a newfag? Why are you accusing me of bringing up "weeb" when I factually did not do so?

So you can't explain. Then why did you make the accusation?

What nuance am I incapable of getting?

I never said I like them, and I in fact have no interest in them.

I have to say that the amount of butthurt generated by my comment is rather astounding.

So you are admitting you are just retarded since you replied with an argument that is countered by what it was replying to?

All the ones that you have missed, obviously. it would be like trying to describe the color purple to a man who's been blind all his life.

What nuances have I missed?

How?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Restricted_and_repetitive_interests_and_behavior

So you can't explain. Then why did you make the accusation?

Maybe English syntax is beyond the pattern recognition skills that are aspies retard-strength?

user, I really don't know what you're talking about.

You said I 'ignored a reply', I posted a grab that showed I wasn't quoted in any part of that conversation.

Why are you this retarded?

Typical aspie that can't understand something unless it's stated in a strictly literal and descriptive way.

You can't prove I'm autistic.

But seriously, why the fuck did my comment trigger THIS much butthurt, and why is nobody able to explain why they're so triggered? It's unbelievable.

this is why I don't like picking on the autistic. he's so lost and confused and doesn't understand what he's missing.

You are mentally ill.

Not to you. People with the capacity for abstract reasoning can get it without need of me proving it.

Your argument

Has been answered by what it was replying to and in more detail phrased in an as sperg-friendly way as possible.

You are mentally ill as well.

Aka neurotypicals.

Again, that's not my argument.

I am pretty convinced you are a medically diagnosed autist at this point.

I am pretty convinced you are mentally ill.

Your incoherent rage is utterly out of proportion to what I said. You are so fuming mad you can't explain anything and just keep repeating the same shit over and over again. You need professional help before you hurt someone.

Everyone take a look at the pure autism that is /a/.

They come here, try to shit on comics, are utterly BTFO countless times, and just end up sperging out and making no sense.

Everyone take a look at the pure mental illness that is Holla Forums.

Except the only thing I said was that someone was using the word weeb incorrectly, and then you absolutely blew the fuck up. Because you're mentally ill.

It doesn't matter if its your fucking argument, the context is pretty much the same. Both you spergs accuse BnHA of not having a correct concept of heroism because you either did not read the manga since only Western capeshit is within the narrow area of interests of you autists or that you are too autistic to get the very clearly indicated, but not stated out loud disregard that, IT WAS STATED but you spergs just could not grasp it since it was, contrary to your usual capeshit pattern, stated by a villain, that the writer of the manga does not recognize the people titled as "heroes" by their society as actual heroes.

When?

You still seem to think you're only arguing with one person.

See pic related.

Your trash is bad. I'm sorry. Now go back to /a/ where you belong.

You're all mentally ill and getting upset for the same "reason."

I don't even know what you're arguing with that other guy about.

Don't try to backpedal now. You're all getting bent out of shape because I told someone he's using weeb incorrectly.

not an argument aspie :^)

Yeah, that wasn't me. I posted the MGS image, but aside from that I didn't participate.

Feel free to read the thread.

This thread makes reconsider whether my posting on /a/ and Holla Forums is actually a good idea.

Stop backpedaling. There is no reason for you to be involved in this except for that post I made.

I did. Capefags had their shit handed over to them and could not help but spout the same platitudes over and over just to be explained to them why they were wrong again.

user, I'm not who you were arguing with. Why can't you grasp that very simple concept?

Wrong again. You're trying to claim 'victory' because you have no argument left. Just go back to /a/. This garbage isn't wanted here.

Call me paranoid but I am starting to suspect they are the Holla Forums goons that get triggered when someone posts a smug anime girl reaction image in any board.

Why can't you grasp that you're fucking backpedaling? Again, you have no other reason to be involved.

So what is your argument?

How is it backpedaling when I wasn't who you were replying to?

Are you some kind of shill?

Read.

The.

Thread.

NO U

/a/, ladies and gentlemen.

I want you to tell me explicitely what is different about them

point

I still want him to properly define what he means though because I think he is pulling it out of his ass

Not an argument.

My beef isn't with society at large. Society is always shit. My issue is with the co-stars and how they are not only selfish assholes but the way they treat mc is fucking insulting. And this from his "friends"
At this point we see MC has been alone for awhile before getting his quirk. So of course he expects to team up with his friends for tournament right? Pfft no. Friend and even potential love interest keeps their distance away because they need recognition? What the fuck does that mean? So then what does it mean when another set of new friends join MC? They'll be overshadowed? Never happened, hell MC group did great because everyone pitched in instead of MC doing all the work.
Then we have the singles tournament. Midori tries to give a plan to love interest since she knows fuck all about who she is facing. She tells him no since she wants to go in blind and get an ass beating.
For those that don't know. He MC midori is getting to batman levels of planing and ideas. But anytime he tries to include his "friends" in these plans, especially the closest 2, they dismiss him. Not because his plans suck but they just don't want to be around him. His confidence gives them an inferiority complex. Even though MC confidence is just for show. Pic related.
Work as a fucking team. Think that DC heroes feel shame taking a plan from Batman? MC needs his friends around so he doesn't feel unwanted. You see this a few times during the manga. So for close friends to wave away his earnest help to his friends it fucking infuriates me.

so what you're basically saying is that out of a certain group of people, a few of them are amazing human beings and the rest are self-serving pieces of shit? that sounds pretty fucking reasonable; frankly i don't understand your complaint.

It would be easier for you to tell me what is the same about them. Whether you're looking at character design, animation, shading, backgrounds, camera work, cinematography, editing, visual language, music, acting, sound, story conventions, character archetypes, genres, target demographics, merchandising and monetization, cross media practises, or fan culture… everything is different.

One of the pictures here is something I recently snatched from 4chan. It's very representative of the cartoon style of animation. The characters are facing the camera sideways and seem like they're flat. The camera is center-height and pointed more or less head-on at the scene. The characters are fully or almost fully in the frame, you can see all of them, and they're standing in a line as if they're stuck in a sidescrolling platformer. There's little sense of depth. This is about what it would look like if you were told to film a stage play. The character designs are also very simple, there's no shading, and the backgrounds are rudimentary or lackluster.

The anime screenshots are from more or less run-of-the-mill shows, no super serious or arthouse stuff. The difference in camera work, composition, detail and realism is substantial. They don't look anything like cartoons do.

for real? that's a nice glass house you got there. the comic book industry has been recycling the same old universe, same old stories, and same old characters for decades now. that shit in your picture would be impressive if it wasn't around since Truman's presidency. careful where you throw those rocks.

i know
its weird that academia fags are spreading false news that its a good series just to reassure themselves that their cliche series is good.
if anyone had to talk about nips doing cape then atleast talk about opm
the entirety of the garou arc is miles better than anything in academia
plus the tournament is almost done and should then be at the stat of the invasion

oh,almost forgot,the acdemia fags that call opm meh are actually retarded,either that or they have extremely shit taste and might even think literal turds look beautiful
so don't fall for their stupidity

Bump.