Sleep problems since I started working as programmer

I know this is wrong place to post this topic, but maybe some of you had similar experiences.

I have been programming for some time (5 years Java), but only 2 years ago I started to get really serious about it. Learned Android and started working at a startup a year ago. I like the work, but it's really stressful, but it's the only thing I'm not totally worthless at.

I started drinking energy drinks a lot 3 years ago. Didn't think much about it, I liked the taste and it gave me lots of energy. Probably 2-3 cans a week. Today I drink 2 cans every day - days that I try to break my caffeine tolerance. Since I started working it only got worse, started eating bad since I don't have much time. Gained 25 kg (55 lb). In one day I probably get only 10 hours of productive time, all other time of the day I'm totally fucked and can't do shit, only lie in bed on my laptop browsing web. Without caffeine I can't do anything for days. In a month I maybe have 3 good days and I'm full of energy without caffeine.

My sleep is perma fucked. In the last two years I wasn't able to wake up once by alarm. Always turned it off because I lacked energy to gather enough will power to wake up. The longest I went without caffeine is 2 weeks, but in that time my sleep cycle didn't improve at all. Sometime I sleep 2 hours, 4 hours, 9 hours or even 12 hours. I'm lucky enough to be working for a startup and can work at home whenever I want. I can't quit job since I need money.

I have been trying to fix my sleep & nutrition for two years without any success. Anyone went through something similar? Any tips?

Sorry for blog post. Feel free to sage and tell me I'm a retard, since I probably deserve it. I only post this since I'm desperate.

Other urls found in this thread:

justgetflux.com/news/pages/privacy/
youtube.com/watch?v=zFwQFdAsGGA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also:

Gained 25 kg (55 lb). I need to eat, since if I don't eat anything after drinking energy drinks I start feeling sick in my stomach. Since I don't have time I usually eat something I can get fast (sandwiches, deliveries - pizza, hamburgers, chinese food...).

I really want to quit my job and take 1 month and force myself to completely stop drinking energy drinks and losing some weight even if that means I will only lie in bed most of the month doing nothing. I can't quit my job since I need money to pay bills.

Sorry for double post.

I get up at 6:30 and do medical billing until 6PM, and then I program on the weekends. What do I do when I get off work? TV, gayms? No, I get the fuck outside and do hard labour until I am ready to pass the fuck out.

Quit eating shit, and get a fucking job that doesn't mean depriving yourself of light and sitting on your ass.

Also, stop with the "I can't quit it I need it." AA bullshit. Stop drinking the energy drinks, get on a regular sleep schedule (sleep at night dumbass) eat healthy, and do something besides sitting on a fucking computer. As a bonus, knock off the fucking napping, I know you do it don't deny it.

Vote Trump OP.

Saged for not tech. I think you are looking for /fit/.

You're probably right about doing something more physical and going outside. The food is probably a bit part of the problems since shit food makes you tired. Since I live alone it's a lot harder. I only know how to cook unhealthy food.

I tried to force myself to stay away untill 10 PM. Was really fucking tired, went to sleep and only slept 2 hours. They was full of energy until 10 AM and then fucking dead again and went to sleep, slept whole day.

This shit keeps happening since my sleep cycle is so random and somehow my body prefers to sleep at day. Thanks for advice.

I'm not American. I'm located somewhere in EU.

You're right. I even didn't think about it. Probably since Holla Forums is the only place I visit.

Who cares, you've got work to worry about.

I like sleeping after the sun rises too. I think some people might have a predisposition for this.
Maybe in prehistoric times there would be one or two people guarding the cave while everybody else slept?

Bed at bedtime lay there do not move until alarm.

Stay up all day do not sleep until bed time.

You will feel like dying for a week to a month.

Sleep schedule fixed.

You haven't gained enough.

it's your computer screen fucking up your melatonin. your brain sees a bright screen and thinks it's sunlight
use f.lux or redshift and it won't be as bad

That doesn't explain sunlight making me sleepy.

Not him. Yes it does, if you're awake all night you'll get sleepy out of necessity sooner or later.

I really recommend flux or something similar, and use it on your phone as well. It's not about the brightness itself, but the blue tint that triggers some mechanism in the brain.

f.lux for windows, redshift for linux.

1. Try to cut the caffeine obviously
2. Exercise. It can be cardio, it can be weights, it can be digging a hole in the backyard, just exercise.
3. Switch to a low carb diet. Aim for around 20% of your calories from carbs. Your carbs should be coming from vegetables too. Cut the bread and sugar.
4. Use flux/redshift. The blue light from your monitor messes with your biological clock. Makes your body think it's the middle of the day and should be awake instead of the evening.
5. Supplement vitamin D. I dont know if this will help but you probably arent getting as much as you should and it's important.

Regarding point 3, I used to get crazy tired in the afternoons, and after dinner. Since I have vastly reduced my carb intake I dont get tired anymore. I dont have crazy energy but I am not tired. I still get tired shortly before my normal bedtime.

Not OP but thank you guys for recommending flux. I had it on my smart phone due to a custom ROM (was coded into the ROM itself), but didn't know how to get it on the tablet. Thanks a ton.

drink water. only buy things that contain no added sugar(this include "fruit juices" that claim that has concentrated of orange or shit like that. they genetically modify their fruit so that the sugar is already in the fruit to avoid to write sugar in the ingredient).

f.lux is spyware.
justgetflux.com/news/pages/privacy/

Strenuous exercise

Exercise and drink more water. Men on average should drink 3 liters of water a day (that's 6 of your typical water bottles you get at the store). Women should try to get at least 2 liters.

Exercise because it helps with stress, keep a regular schedule which means no more "living the dream". Try to go to bed by 9 - 930PM at night, up by 5 AM. Keep it regular. I recommend cardio for exercise, do weights to increase your metabolism. If you keep your metabolism up you don't need to worry about eating too much as long as you're gaining nutrition (i.e., ramen is shit food, fast food is shit food, eat an apple, a banana, a salad regularly). But if you maintain a high metabolism (by exercising regularly) you'll burn off excess energy more easily. It will help with weight and stress.

Whether you can quit your job immediately, if you hate your job then it's time to start looking for a new job. Given that you have a year of experience at a startup you shouldn't have a problem finding a job if you've gotgud and are truly serious about finding a new job.

Close this world
Open the next
The method of carrot and whip is before you
Use it for your advantage
youtube.com/watch?v=zFwQFdAsGGA

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

When I was addicted to energy drinks I found that they were making me more tired. Apparently it's due to the taurine, according to Google. I'd replace the energy drinks with coffee, then cut down.

Damn OP I feel nothing but pity for you, western system have fucking ruined your health, good news is that you can always reroll and bodies heal themselves

On a second thought if you work for like IT intelligence services thats at least good
I wouldn't mind being a fat fuck if I worked at NSA tbh and I am beginning to lose hope keep trying to fight against them

Holy fuck there has been some papers about this,
Nightwatch/Fire departments have existed for almost all metropolises civilizations so it might have something to do with that... but as for cave man times I don't think anyone have spoken on this
You just remained me of this THANKS FRIENDO

you can fix that really easily
best thing is to have bed in completly different room. Your brain will learn that it is save to fall asleep when you go there. If you just move from you desk to a bed behind you, with having the lights off a long time you were on a computer, your brain can't figure out that it is really a time to sleep

fucked up more than I should

simply be sure to have different conditions for your sleep state and awake state. Don't mix them up.
make it a ritual that inform your brain now is the time to sleep

replace energy drinks with coffee, later with a green tea (real, not from sacks, you can make it so strong it will become brown and bitter, but it will really help you keep concentrated and for much longer time then caffeine)

You really need to move, at least strech before going to sleep, but some running/whatever can help

Never turn off your alarm and continue sleeping, take a cold shower if you have to, but stay awake, don't sleep until it is a sleep time

dring a lot of water, cut all sweet drink completly

and a really good thing is to start meditating at least 10 minutes a day

Best thing is to have a schelude, something like

and last, keep doing it even when it will seem to do nothing at first, you need to power through it, or it will never get better

I wouldn't say this is the wrong place, necessarily. It could invoke discussion about technology. (e.g. the blue-violet rays in our screens that everyone else has previously mentioned)

Either way, it sounds like you're also depressed in addition to having sleep issues. However, Cooking isn't that hard. I'll even give you a recipe for Shepherd's Pie if you want. (there are all sorts of versions, but this one allows you to choose to have either Corn, Peas, or both)

You are autist

cut the energy drinks, they're shit and will eventually give you a heart attack from caffeine overdose. they also make you crash like you described and you'll feel like shit without one. Don't even bother with stronger stimulants like adderall because they will just make your problem 10x worse.

set 3 alarms, one by your bed, and at least one across the room so you have to get up to turn it off

Newfeg here. If Holla Forums is the wrong place to discuss programming (and the lifestyle) then what board would be?

If you are addicted to caffeine user (I am too in large part) then just consume it early in the day and stay away from it at least 6hrs before you are normal sleep time. Works for me in general.

As previously mentionned >>>/fit/ (Fitness and Health) is the place, though here is still acceptable.
>>>/improve/ could also help for the depression.

I tried everything but the real problem
is excess of light (blue light) and flickering.
The excess of light supress your melatonin
production an make to get asleep impossible.
The flickering make stress your eyes an then your body. Your won't sleep until all yours muscles get relaxed. Don't use your computer past 7pm. Take a warm shower before sleep.
Don't use artificial light. Change the light of your bedroom to bulb light.
Take 3-5mg of melatotin at 6pm.

Energy drinks don't provide energy, but pull it from the body forcibly. Tachycardia is a really awful way to die. Stop drinking them. If you MUST get some quick energy, candy, but only to regulate blood sugar, keeping a steady metabolic burn going all day.

I can't provide much other advice, as I'm a regular contributor to >>>/suicide/

Conflict of interest, and all that.

16/tech/

I dealt with this about a year ago, not due to programming but weird scheduling at my job (exit time at 7pm)

1. No energy drinks. Develop a taste for coffee like a regular braindead adult, and only drink it during the morning
2. I got some blades like pic related and turned my bedroom into well uh a bed-only room really. I stashed my tablet, and charge my phones way the fuck away from the bed so I can't reach them
3. This one is more /fit/ like someone said, but I slowly stopped buying shit on the road. I was straight up dependant on that for a few months and it sucked balls. Way I see it, I make enough money where I can afford to buy 5 dollar sacks of potatoes, cook them and ruin them a couple of times, but still eat sorta healthy.

*blades I meant shades

does your cookbook only include microwaved meals? or does every recipe start with a pound of butta. Yea fix that.

Don't be a pussy switch to cocaine.

Not Holla Forums sage and report

yeah low carb diet is good.
Proteins with tryptofane make you feel
better because its a precursor of serotonin
and melatonin.

Firstly switch to coffee. It has no sugar which is much healthier than energy drink. Also don't drink any coffee within 2 hours of going to sleep for better sleep.

Breaking caffeine tolerance just sucks, I've had to quit caffeine for multiple times, and that's just how it works. However, try instead of going back to coffee regularly, to only drink coffee when you really need it, so you get less used to it. If you drink coffee all day everyday it will lose it's power and you'll have to drink it to just be normal.

That being said, 10 hours a day is fine. You should try not going over that even if you could. No wonder you're stressed