Stolen Code

Has anyone ever stolen your code, Holla Forums? What was it and what did you do about it?

Sir, you can not steal code, only liberate it.
Unless you mean someone not giving you credit

girl in my class couldn't into producer consumer in C and asked for my code to "see how we're supposed to do it". said no but she guilt tripped me acting like i was accusing her of plagiarism (which she did)

Not really stolen code, but time: I caught a female (big mistake) streetshitting intern we had working on a code challenge for an application to one of our competitors using the account I'd set up for her to work on our code. So I swapped out the gcc binary for a script that (for her username) first runs the compiler with -s, increments a constant in that asm output by 1, then runs the compile on that. I didn't get to see her struggle with it but her bash history was full of gdb so I'm pretty sure it fucked her up bad.

she was applying to other jobs on the clock on her current one? if she was just using the account at home on her own time i dont really see the issue

You are week

i know. i wasn't even attracted to her even though she's not ugly. she looks just like my sister. i'm just weak to being made to feel bad bc my mom always pulls that shit on me bc my dad was abusive and she always goes "you're acting like your father"

She wad doing it on our time. Even if it wasn't on our time, it was with our resources. If you've not realized that is wrong yet, learn from this post as an employer can claim copyright on code you've used their machines to produce.

They always do that. They're on their phone in the stairwell half the time talking to other employers

Yeah, pisses me off. People cry about unpaid internships but they don't realize how often interns are worth negative shekels. I consider them to be too expensive at free but my boss keeps rolling the dice so we keep wasting time training them for our competition. I assume this is what being cucked feels like.

If I were her I would have leaked your source code and made a torrent of it.

And that's why entitled, destructive shits like you don't get hired for the good jobs. 100% odds you're a Bernie bro.

Said the guy who writes proprietary software.

Don't be silly, I'm not stupid enough to think that supporting anyone makes a difference.

I know your type, I've interviewed lots of you. Overconfident and underperforming. When I ask people like you for code samples I'm handed homework assignments.

My performance has nothing to do with being entitled and/or destructive. I'm not going to sit here and brag about my code, because it's of no relevance to the conversation, the point is that you abuse your users and it's disgusting. People should be able to know what sort of stuff you're putting on their machines and if your software can't make you money without being closed source then your devs and their work clearly aren't worth squat.

Why are you assuming he writes proprietary software? Are you aware that most software development is for internal use instead of the public?

Caught some script kiddie plagarizing the entire contents of my website once. He was downloading everything manually, one file at a time, and then putting it up on the edgiest webpage I'd ever seen with his own dick-waving commentary added about how great he is and how I actually stole it from him.

I was going to just ignore it, most of the zip files there still had readmes that I'd added beforehand with "downloaded from xxx.yyy" messages, because I was well aware this dipshit was doing the same to a few other people. But I was bored, and noticed he had a shitty self-written forum with no real security or rate limiting. 10 minutes later he didn't even have a hosting account.

good show

I write a mix. Our platform is Linux so everything that goes into the kernel winds up open and various changes to things like iptables, dhcpcd, and gnutls do, too. A lot of it just rots in the open, though - I only make an effort to get the Linux ones merged because otherwise the insanely high churn rate means I'll be reworking it every time we change kernels.

>>>/furry/

>>>/suicide/

RMS's fursona is Holla Forums, friend.

don't call me a beta cuckold

code is not property, you can't steal it.
in general, information is not subject to being appropriated because it can't be diminished.

Visa? yea they have to go home if they don't get job.

Asks for homework, gets homework. Unless they're noting open source contributions. You can't really give any code you've been paid to write; most of the time you don't own that.

Do they realize just continuing to work at your place is an option? Because given only the information you regularly have people under you looking for other jobs; It sounds like it might just suck ass working under you.

fucking /thread

Code is property, you commie jew faggot

No, they don't do traditional internships.
If you give a homework assignment to someone who asked for a code sample, you come across as a total loser.
Yes, but they don't apply to work. They apply for free education and resume material. They do this repeatedly to launder their fake resumes until they can apply at much bigger companies that wouldn't take them as interns. Honestly, if you're paying for college rather than doing this you're a moron. Many smaller companies have managers that aren't aware how this game is played, it's easy to find one.

>>>/furry/

Beta cuckold.

>>>Holla Forums

Just gpl your code, problem solved.

Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

are there really people who use tape?

last I saw tape cartridges were more $/gb than SSDs

Never use any derivation of that quote, it was from a dark time.

The cost isn't a factor, it's a safety measure for long term, durable, local backups. That said, it's of limited use today. You'd generally keep backups like this made rarely for doomsday scenarios and use other methods for day to day backups, even using the robotic tape arrays of other companies like via Amazon Glacier.