Did you update to Windows 10 already Holla Forums?

Did you update to Windows 10 already Holla Forums?

This thread is for normal people.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
archive.is/OBGB1
archive.is/tW6fu
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U
archive.is/CEvKh
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh
archive.is/MB0Yy
archive.is/LiEpP
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first#TOC-Turn-on-the-firewall
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You misspelled downgrade, user

No, I installed Xubuntu on my MacBook and now I almost never use Windows and I get extra hipster points. I actually feel considerably better about my life and have become more productive as a result of using Xubuntu.

Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input,
location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history,
even after related settings are turned off:
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U

Micrcrosoft automatically downloads Windows 10 on PCs running
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (between 3.5GB and 6GB), even if
users have not opted-in:
archive.is/CEvKh

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
archive.is/MB0Yy

I don't like the OS opening my wifi up to potential pedos without my knowledge or consent, so no.

I have a capped connection and I don't appreciate Wangblows wasting my bandwidth.

Get out, normalfag.

I updated To OpenSUSE. How do I make KDE easier on the eyes?

I recently left /g/ and I can't believe my eyes. I feel like I'm home.

Go back

You can't make me (I'm really sorry)

Go back to Reddit botnet shill

Yes

I abandoned KDE because the bloat was getting painful and because I'm still getting used to actual system maintenance, recent wangblows refugee here
Breeze dark on everything, Raleigh + Default in GTK themes helped a lot

Go away, Satya.

I did this instead on my router.

archive.is/LiEpP

WTF am I reading?
I think, my OS X would never "update" to any version of Windoze.

nah, looking into getting a copy of 64 bit windows XP tho

Pajeet, you have to go back.

Normal people keep clicking away the popup because it's so annoying. The only people I've seen so far who upgraded to Windows 10 were above normal competence.

I moved to windows 10
It was right before I started browsing Holla Forums, and still thought "hey, a windows update! Well, it can only improve then right?"
Wrong, of course, but I wasn't free-software autistic back then.

Every week or so, the system says that there's an update available, and that the system needs to restart for that. Every week, I try to postpone the update as far as possible because >muh workflow and >muh open browser tabs

The thing is, every time I try to secure something, I am worried that it is broken through easily by the probable backdoors in the system. https, TOR and PGP all just become useless in windows 10, if the NSA wants to, simply because it's their job to break into this shit.

Windows 10 is shit, and I'm using it. AMA.

Why are you still using it?

Moving would mean that I have to relearn things, for example, how WINE works, which is a bit of extra work that makes moving harder.

Furthermore, it'd mean I have to close all my tabs, and figure out how to get the installer working, because UEFI is shit. Had some problems with booting properly.

It's just the set up that I would have to do again, I'll miss a bunch of software I normally have here.

But those are all shitty excuses. I'm also lazy, I guess.

windows SUCKS

Clicking the red X on the popup now counts as saying yes. Expect to see more normal people complaining about it suddenly upgrading.

>>>/linux/
Go back to your hugbox.

Fix yourself or an hero.

They're in their hugbox already. Are you new here?

free software is autistic. It's good, everyone should support free software like full autists, but it's still autistic to support it like we do.
autistic != bad

welcome brother, install gentoo and learn to sage

STREET-SHITTIN' GOOD

I know I'm responding to b8

Even if I didn't care about all the privacy issues surrounding Windows 10, there is nothing special about it other than the addition of workspaces and the fact that cmd/powershell isn't as shit as it used to be.
There is nothing to talk about that hasn't already been covered by every tech news site ever.
There especially is nothing to talk about that non-normies care about.
Do you really think some random autists using "minimalist" riced out i3-gaps setups on non-systemd gnu/linux meme distros are suddenly going to care that windows can play xbox games or some stupid shit like that?

You must have no idea where you are.

>>>/g/
>>>/facebook/
>>>/tumblr/

smh tbh fams

I know this is some low-quality bait, but I am considering installing 10 and then attempting to neuter it as much as possible. I need muh UNIX environment, but I also am forced to use proprietary applications (namely Excel) which can't be used in GNU/Linux. My options are Windows or OSX, and I don't have a lust for cock or a million bucks, so I'm stuck with a laptop that works with Windows 8.1 or 10 only. Right now I won't, but since cygwin and MinGW are garbage, if the Ubuntu layer shit turns out well, I might downgrade to 10 and rip out as much of the shit as possible.

Fuck my life.

Which laptop is that? Did they lock secure boot to on, and stop you adding your own keys?

It's a Chromebook. I needed something with roughly the power of a mobile Cuo2Duo with good battery life. The BIOS is a non-issue, the problem is drivers. There are community reddit drivers that work with 8.1 and 10, but not 7. I can get GNU/Linux working, but that means fucking with the version of the kernel (and the drivers therein) that get shit working correctly. Since I'm impatient and shit at kernel config, I haven't bothered.

Aristotle never said that, btw.

you think somebody would just lie on the internet?

Of course they lie, but I think people would believe that lie. That is the problem.

Yea, I have to use Windows because I'm a front-end dev so I have to test our shit under IE all the time, waiting for "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" to be available to all so I can finally get my sweet UNIX workflow back.

7, 8, 8.1, 10, 95, 98, 2000

It's GNU/Linux. GNU coreutils is at version 8.25.
8.25 / 4 = 2.0625

Dude use Wine for Microsoft software like excel. Even I know that and I'm retarded

eeh, Windows NT is only version 10 because of Word of God, that is to say, its at version 10 for literally no reason, Windows 8.1s kernel was NT version 6.9

Same with Linux, its only version 4 because Linus got tired of seeing version 3, and he didn't want a repeat of where Linux version 2 stuck around from 1996 to around 2011, and even then 2.6 kernels are still being maintained officially

And OSX is only only version 10 because it succeeded 9 other OS' and has nothing to do with lateral software updates to any preceding codebase,

IE works fine under WINE.

Their EULA permits it, but AFAIK there's no evidence of them actually doing so yet

The only question on my mind is how do we hurt Microsoft? Can we sue them? Can we hit them in their wallets in any way? I want to hurt them so goddamned bad.

I'm trying to assist an older gentleman who can't afford to have Win10 fuck up his Win7 work computer again. what was that noob friendly software that disables the win10 updater that was linked on tech before?

I've heard Never10 is good.

i guess i'll suggest him that and spybot anti-beacon. still can't find the other one, i forgot it because I just did a manual removal of the telemetry updates.

Nah, recently put Mint on my computer. I don't really know what I'm doing because I'm not good with technology but it's better than having Windows 10 and Mint seems pretty user friendly.

Plus it's aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I still have Jewdows on here as well for the time being because I may need it for a lot of stuff but that probably won't last for long when I end up figuring all this stuff out and I feel more comfortable with it.

Don't buy/use their shit.

Man... Don't forget the update manager's 4th and 5th level updates are ignored by default on mint (those have security updates too) and set up the firewall with gufw.

MCTS here, I just switched to Linux (Zorin OS), 2 weeks ago and I'm a lurker on Holla Forums. This is my first post, if I'm honest.
I would not switch to windows 10, unless you have a lifetime to spend disabling spyware and adware, which just leaves you with learning the coding skills to cover the massive back doors Microsoft has left in for the NSA and other agencies to use.
That might involve a fair bit of packet analysis through some packet sniffer and a lot of knowledge of network protocols, how and what your computer should communicate at any point in time.

These apply if you value your privacy. If you do not, however, you can go wild.

>>>/tumblr/

Stop being gay.

it's not just security even. I've devoted so much time fixing shitty OS bullshit in win7 compared to previous windows, what the fuck is the point. i was content with windows and not making the jump because I didn't want to devote the time to learning and tweaking. now I have to spend more time doing just that to stay. and sometimes it randomly "un fixes" itself, like the mouse will start using acceleration again. fuck microsoft is incompetent.

I understand perfectly, I worked on servers and network infrastructure. And basically, troubleshooting is shutting down modules from group policy until it starts working again.

It's less than shit, but it's still the dominating enterprise OS, if we're completely honest... Inertia is a bitch.

A lot of people, however, are switching to Linux. All but 1 of my friends switched, but he's a fucking retard, he even bought a windows phone. So... yeah.

I'm a newfag to all of this, that's why I opted for Zorin. It looks sort of like windows 7 and windows server 2008R2 and that prevents me from panicking because I have no idea as to what I'm doing. This board is a great help, though.

Another Mint user here. Why should I use gufw when I can use Uncomplicated Firewall ufw?
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first#TOC-Turn-on-the-firewall

Educate me.

gufw is just a graphical frontent for ufw. It gives you a window to configure ufw instead of using the command line

I really wish Linux had a firewall that operated somewhat like ZoneAlarm. I would really like a little pop-up that asks me if I want to allow or deny when a new program asks for internet access and setting up my filters in that manner.

Nope. I tried it, but switched back. Gonna use 7 while it's still supported, then switching to Linux entirely once support ends.

Besides, I don't think Microsoft will survive Windows 10's commercial failure anyway.

It's what I support on the desktop side, so I updated at home and work so I could find some of the horrible shit before it made my life hell.

It's fucking horrible, and is probably their least professional OS by a long shot, you can't remove their shitty provisioned applications as a whole because you lose their fucking calculator app.
Shits buggy as hell and UI scaling is as bad as it ever was, graphics drivers constantly crash, default alert sound is long and obnoxious. Their native application for PDFs (Edge) refuses to believe it isn't the best thing on earth and constantly kicks any application other than itself out of default selection.

The biggest kick in the nuts is that all this shit isn't something people can avoid unless they dodge windows now, I pray for the day when it really is the year of the Linux desktop, though SystemD as the main driver doesn't give me hope....

God help us all.

3.1, 3.11, ME, NT, CE, ...

Windows versioning is weird, the first release of the NT kernel was version 3.1 to reflect the version of the Windows OS, NT 4 was kernel 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP were version 5, Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 used Windows version 6, and Windows 10 goes back to the old convention of pairing the OS and kernel version with Windows 10

Stop kidding yourself, Windows 10 is already 2/3rds of the way to beating Windows 7

I updated yesterday and I immidiately noticed my software running faster than with Windows 7. All the future games are using Direct X12 so if you are gamer you sort of have to. Don't worry about Microsoft collecting data. It's just to make Windows 10 better for everyone. I mean I have nothing to hide anyway, do you?

My question is. I still want to be able to play vidya and be olen sorce atthe same time.
Shrug

Report this /int/ faggot

Let the doors of your house open and let cops to enter your house and check what you're doing 3 times a day. You're have nothing to hide right?

Girls think guys who run linux are weird and smell bad. Install Windows 10, you might even get laid once in a while.

Wow literally the normie police.

I've got something better than that.

It's called a ZX Spectrum

>>>/normies/

normie with dumbass extensions.

Steal the source code for XP and Win7 and release into the wild.

That'll ensure an open source version of the windows api system that anyone will lap up and make win10 die.

There can be legal issues with contributing to WINE if you've so much as looked at real Windows source code, even decompiled.

>>>/tumblr/

unless you are a stupid thot, or completely tech illiterate, there is no reason at all to not stick with windows 7

Why is that?

Windows source code is covered by copyright. If they can defend a claim that your code is based on their code you violated their copyright.

upgraded from 8.1 since I thought hell it can't be that bad when 8 is already bad. tabletpc so options are limited
...it's probably as shit as 8 was. but perhaps a little worse. more things are exported to metro ui, etc etc.

You should have stuck with 8.1 and just added classic shell.

Before you do it,(I was going to) use it in a VM for a while, it definitely changed my mind.

yes because I'm not a hypocritical cuck that uses every online botnet but arbitrarily draws the line at an OS.

Doesn't this apply to freetards as well, many of whom never check the source code of the programs they use?

Why are you assuming this? People regularly discuss privacy extensions and replacements for proprietary services.

if you don't have autistic super powers you're disabled

DX12 newer redistributable
Better UI
Runs better
I know it's bad evil, but to say there is no reason is a joke, in fact I can't get my computer working in general with 7.

I was willing give your post the benefit of the doubt when you mentioned DX12, since that's a valid point, but now you're just baiting.

Metro is probably one of the worst UIs in the history of computing. It's astoundingly bad.

I like 10's UI much more than 7's. But I guess that's just preference.

kek

I also get much better performance on 10.

"security updates" slowed XP to a crawl before 7's release because they didn't want another no-one-wants-vista fiasco... and now they are killing 7 with "security updates" to force the fuck-windows-8 crowd to move on to 10. So yeah... better performance than a deliberately fucked by its creators OS.

"Windows Rot" is a meme created by Freetards who were too stupid to perform basic maintenance like defrag
And ext3/4 still fragments, its just designed to lessen its impact by sweeping it under the rug so-to-speak, or in this case towards the center of the disk platter

And it doesn't fucking matter how cluttered the registry gets, its impact on speed is negligible at best, the registry is a binary configuration database, so no matter what it will always be faster than "Da YOO-NICKS WAY!" of reading config files from the /etc/ directory

Each iteration of the windows UI removes more control from the user.... I guess if you like someone else making decision for you it's great

Only if you're almost out of disk space.

Yes I'm sure that's it, and I'm not at all an IT professional with years of experience who has done more repairs that you can count, who has actually reinstalled OS's clean and seen the performance return and then degrade as I manually installed updates.

That is also wrong, Windows 8 had the same exact set of config utilities as Windows 7, as does Windows 10, the only thing that has changed is the UI and the fact Windows 8/10 actually having 2 different config interfaces, one for touch and the classic control panel, which I will ad has actually remain largely unchanged from Win7

We're on an anonymous imageboard user, it doesn't matter who you are, nobody cares, and it contributes nothing to discussion, just to your sad ego

I can go on and on about setting up servers for clients and the like but I don't because I'm not a faggot trying to impress people to get community brownie points and e-cred, you're just a miserable freetard, you know how I know you're lying on the internet? Because you chose to use only Linux and learn nothing about Windows, in the IT field that is nothing to be proud of, believe me.

You know they don't remove people who reinstall their older operating system from the stats for 10, right?

What for? You only need a firewall when running vulnerable services, and the mere act of having a router without putting your computer in the DMZ or port-forwarding acts as a de facto firewall.

Well, I dislike the newer settings and all, but it's much better on the desktop.

windows 7 works fine, and i never got the update thing because all of the windows installs that i have are pirated.

Holy shit, less(1) is version 481 at this point, I bet it came from the future.

oh good you've installed some SBS in your time.

Good for you. Glad to see you have managed to keep your head deep in the sand and not seen MS get BTFO'd constantly in high level, high speed delivery of applications, cloud, embedded and Internet infrastructure.

Hell MS even runs Azure on Linux because they realised they couldn't run it on their own garbage.

Thats ok user, you keep your vision narrow and your dreams small.

There is nothing wrong with KDE if your hardware is good enough. It's not my favorite, but I can see why people really like it. Take your "muh bloat" autism somewhere else.

Your new home is right over here >>>/gaschamber/ Also hang yourself.

Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean it's a meme, fagtron.