Holla Forums Questions and Support

Bring all your hardware, software and other troubles here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SEgxCg3pSyU
libreboot.org/docs/install/#flashrom_lenovobios
linuxjournal.com/content/libreboot-x60-part-i-setup
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk#dd
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk/Tips_and_tricks#dd_-_advanced_example
media2.8ch.net/tech/src/1464574729045.jpg
media2.8ch.$new_list
youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s
eff.org/node/82654
downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25223/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-
encyclopediadramatica.se/Dox
tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
a.uguu.se/ZzXUepFwyKvs_testvideofortech.webm
openbsd.org/want.html
kmspico10.com/
pi-top.com/
github.com/horst3180/Vertex-theme/
horst3180.deviantart.com/art/Vertex-Theme-470663601
download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Horst3180/Debian_8.0/
web.archive.org/web/20120114110757/http://books.cat-v.org/computer-science/unix-programming-environment/
steamcommunity.com/groups/slackware
mega.nz/#!BNITia4D!Y2BL87WvIlEwwzpXYVcoHhVr9EZmcULQm5s3mnyNzZI
openvpn.net/
x.x.x.x:x'
proxylist.hidemyass.com
137.135.166.225:8124
youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[youtube]
hide.me/en/proxy
proxysite.com/
armbian.com/download/
google.comsystem
squid-cache.org/Doc/config/url_rewrite_program/
s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/player-en_US-vflrmwhUy/base.js';
yt-dl.org/bug
linuxjournal.com/content/libreboot-x60-part-ii-installation
aur.archlinux.org/packages/daggerfall/
cms.elderscrolls.com/sites/default/files/tes/extras/DFInstall.zip
uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
elderscrolls.com/assets/files/tes/extras/DFInstall.zip
google.com
glennmcc.org/arachne/
seamonkey-project.org/
ghostbin.com/paste/9sgz8
learnxinyminutes.com/,
rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726724
youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_4173738165&feature=iv&list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4&src_vid=xSGIPmQdV6M
pcpartpicker.com/user/Mr.Eh/saved/q2bj4D
youtube.com/watch?v=felQfAL6HtM
youtube.com/watch?v=YWXddBa8qGw
mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ
edis.at/en/server/linux-vps-solusvm-openvz/zurich/
thucydides.info/docs/thucydides/_running_thucydides_tests_from_the_command_line.html
help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB
packages.debian.org/stretch/xserver-xorg-video-intel
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Dual-booting
man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strftime.3.html
gamingforce.org/forums/behind-music/3832-how-rip-music-sound-effects-movies-ps1-ps2-games.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gGw85lwi1NM
epforums.org/showthread.php?16647-Ripping-Music-\
chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=756.0
ngemu.com/threads/how-to-extract-music-from-nes-roms.48638/
forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=3516
1emulation.com/forums/topic/24657-ripping-music-from-a-sega-genesismegadrive-rom/
youtube.com/watch?v=Nh1YIrPz1iA
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax
ldkfjlkdsjflkdsjflksdfsd.clksdjf
youtube.com/watch?v=xu0VSKvfNEI
aur.archlinux.org/packages/openssl098/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/12281067/Windows_7_Ultimate_Sp1_x86-x64_En-Us_OEM_ESD_Aug2015_Pre-Activat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why do I need a single board computer? what are some cool casual uses for them?

I have a work folder full of highly sensitive documents/data. I have to go in this folder kind of often to update data, I know about encryption software but it seems kind of cumbersome and task heavy to repetitively open and close it.

gather new data
~gotta open 3rd party software
~choose a drive mount
~find & open the encrypted file
~input password
~find & open "mounted drive"
just to get in the folder...

isn't there something that can make my folder already there on my desktop encrypted/protected and when i double click the folder (like normally opening it) prompts a password (and if input correctly) opens it as normal?

How do you control the speed of your fans?
Looking for the best method so case fans quiet down automatically while PC is idle

Most motherboards do that automatically these days. But there are control panels with dials you can buy that go into the optical bay if you want to do it manually. Most are pretty cheap too.

try asking around on stackexchange (or here) for scripting help

I come back home to recharge the iPod Toch via the computer and suddenly, nothing. Not just iTunes refusing to pop up. The computer outright doesn't see it. Which means I can't charge it, let alone update my playlist. All of the USB ports work, I reinstalled iTunes, restarted the PC, and even restarted the iPod Touch itself.

Nothing. What the fuck?

From what I understand, when you delete files on a computer they can be recovered through certain programs because you aren't actually deleting the bits that represent the file, you're deleting the bits that refer to them and telling the memory manager that it is free to write to that space.

I am getting rid of some family computers that might contain some bank/credit card information, what's the best way for me to wipe them clean while avoiding what I described above? I don't want someone to be able to take out one of the hard drives and get any information from them.

they run windows but I'm assuming that I'll be booting from a flash drive with a linux distro on them to remove the windows installation.

KDE keeps resetting my sound to 100%, and it's starting to get really annoying. How do I make it stop? it seems to happen when a notification plays.

Firefox keeps losing window focus. As in, every other second (especially annoying when I'm typing! Almost made me thing my keyboard died) the title bar "lightens", indicating that I clicked the taskbar or somewhere outside the browser. Which I didn't. Since I wasn't moving the mouse at all.

It actually happened twice while typing up this very post. How do I stop it?!

I have a hard drive that makes a beep sound like its coming from an speaker randomly, it mostly does it after heavy activity but doesnt impact performance nor shows any errors in s.m.a.r.t. and long self tests report everything ok, what could it be? Also whats the best hard drive testing suite around? Preferrably bootable since I imagine they tend to be more powerful.

Anyone here have a download/torrent link to Windows 8.1 Pro? I'm trying to install Windows 10 on this shitty chinese device and there are a lot of problems with some of the drivers that are supposedly made for Windows 8.1

I would consider Linux but Linux does not support a lot of the hardware o this device

Christ, I have so much shit going wrong with a libreboot installation on my X60s. It should be so fucking simple, but my lapshit is being an absolute fucking difficult cunt every single step of the way. I made the mistake of resorting to a Youtube video of the process made by some dumpy-sounding teenager who probably goes on lainchan and I just made my installation that much more infuriating because of it.

I'm just going to delete fucking everything and start from a new goddamn OS. I'm clearly venting, but while I'm at it- does anyone recommend any tips? Is libreboot easier to install on Plebian or Trisquel?

You mean this video youtube.com/watch?v=SEgxCg3pSyU
?

Yes. You're him, aren't you?

No I'm not, I just knew instantly what video you were talking about. What did you screw up though?

I can't count how many times my laptop and I have screwed up; the issues that arise are unforgiving and subtle. Can't quit now though, I've put far too much time into this. I feel so ashamed.

Ok.
Try installing debian or a new distro, and make sure to read the offical docs libreboot.org/docs/install/#flashrom_lenovobios and look at other sources to make sure you understand what you are doing.
https:[email protected]/* */[email protected]/* */inkpad-x60-x60s-x60t-e96bfcc80129#.50vew9iia
linuxjournal.com/content/libreboot-x60-part-i-setup
That video etc

Thanks user.

It's like it was never meant to be. If I end up bricking this laptop, I'm going to throw it at RMS' stupid fucking hobo beard. I'm either the unluckiest or most retarded man who likes tech.

You cannot view any of the links?
What?
Do you have internet access issues?
That might be why your libreboot install failed then.

Thinkpad's on ethernet whilst I'm on my desktop. I'm just bitching at this point, pay no mind. Nonetheless, thanks for the resources.

My problem is a little complicated, but let me try to explain how things are right now.

In order for me to connect to the Internet with my computer, I have to connect it to my phone via USB with a program called PdaNet, which has a "Hide Tether Usage Option". Everything works fine, with the exception of downloading zip files and the like. Whenever I download them, the download will half the time end prematurely, be marked as "Complete" after the projected file size is suddenly changed to only how much has been downloaded (for instance, a 6.3 GB file "completes" at fucking 6.1 GB). This had been happening with much smaller files, ones that were 20, 10, or even only 5 MB. This will happen regardless of the bars my phone has. The browser I use is Opera, and I haven't tried downloading on another browser. I can't willingly repeat the problem, as it happens only half the time. I'm less interested in taking care of the problem since it might not be helped because of the way I'm connecting, but I would like input on if this is an uncommon problem, and what sorts of things can I do to make up for this?

I just make music videos and I upload them on youtube. Recently, my video was banned in 281 countries. What is a great alternative to jewtube?

Hi guys.

Is FileZilla secure? I run a game server and know a little perl... barely a little. I'm writing a script to copy backups from the server host to my home machine via FTP. Is the server that comes with FileZilla secure right out of the box or do I need to do anything special to make sure nobody else is using my home hard drive?

is vim better than sublime text?

vim/neovim is free software, sublime is proprietary.

I had the same problem with pulseaudio. Pulseaudio sets the volume level per application. Because notifications are just short they don't appear very long in pavucontrol to fix the volume level. I don't have kde running right now, so I can't say where in the settings you could fix this besides pavucontrol.
If you just use alsa, you just need to run
alsactl store
to save the current sound level as default. If you have pulseaudio and probably phonon working too, I don't know if this works.

You don't.
Cheap server or media center.

fugg

filezilla is just client for people who dont know what ftp is

Thinking of rooting/installing a custom rom to get access to unlimited tethering/hotspot.

I have a Note 3, I really like the multi-window feature. Does it still work in Cyanogenmod or another popular custom rom? I believe it's a TouchWiz feature so I'm afraid it won't work without it.

If it won't work in a custom ROM I will likely just root and install something like FoxFi since PdaNet doesn't seem available for my phone.

no it has a server too.

Vimeo
Daily motion
Live leak
WERLSTAH BAYBY!

Use a bittorrent client, and/or get a download manager like uGet, which gives you resume functionality and the ability to change the URL the file is being downloaded from.

What was that FOSS f.lux clone again?
F.lux is ok but it's way too bloated for what it does.

Redshift?

piratebay, most seeded winblows 8 torrent, detailed instructions in description on how to activate it legitit works been using it for yearish, using it right now, fuck windows and their USB driver jewery, only reason i had to install it, its ok i guess

Fuck, new thread, my pajeetpost is gone, forgot to come back, hope nobody answered for naught or that they will again:

Whats a good alternative to truecrypt? I know my ass will always be open to NaSA and Joos but for everything else would be nice

anybody have any experience with veracrypt?

thank you

Google for "DBAN". Then smash the HDD with a hammer, a lot.

Yes, you're right. Deleted data is not really deleted.

You should get a Linux live image and just write random data on your disks.
Look here: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk#dd

Don't write zeros on it, use /dev/random or /dev/urandom, if your system can't gather enough entropy. Do this maybe twice or three times, if you're really paranoid.

The only problem is that /dev/random and /dev/urandom can be kinda slow (like 15 mb/s iirc). Depending on your disk sizes, that can take some time.

There is also the option to use SSL, which is a lot faster, but that exceeds my knowledge: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk/Tips_and_tricks#dd_-_advanced_example

forgot to quote

How do I dual-boot Windows 7 and Linux?
I'm currently using Linux Mint

It's easier to do if you install Windows first. If you want them both on the same disk remember to install your bootloader to wherever the root partition is. As in, /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda. That way you don't remove the Windows bootloader so it won't complain. When you install Windows leave enough space for the Linux partition, or you'll have to resize it later.
If you want them on different disks it's much easier. You can install them in any order, and Mint should detect Windows and add an entry to it's bootloader automatically.

After installed the w7 you can restore the grub with rescatux.

I do already use a bittorrent client for for torrents, but are you saying that I can use it for downloading other types of files? Anyway, I'll take a look at uGet.

I need a permission manager for android 2.3.6. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

I woke up this morning to find out my old Sony Trinitron won't turn on. No blinks, no lights and no sound, just black. Any idea what's wrong with it and is it possible to fix it without breaking my back?

Is Macintosh a lesser evil than Windows 10, or does it spy on you just as much?

Are there any complications to taking ownership of the system drive of a Windows 8.1 computer on a Windows 7 computer? It was the system drive and the data drive, and I'd like to get access to those files.

Hello guys, need help with slicing. This is a repost; the regex solution did not work

import re ls = ["media2.8ch.net/tech/src/1464735733782.jpg", "media2.8ch.net/tech/src/1464574729045.jpg "]new_list = [] for i in ls: new_list = i.split("/")[-1] print(new_list)

What I expected
1464735733782.jpg1464574729045.jpg

What I got
1464574729045.jpg

Partition your Hard drive and format it to NTFS
put in windows cd and install

Each iteration through ls replaces new_list with the list you get from i's split. You need to append to new_list, not overwrite it each time.

Disclaimer: I don't know any programming language. Nonetheless, logic tells me this'd work and it seems to from my testing.
#!/usr/bin/pythonimport rels = ["media2.8ch.net/tech/src/1464735733782.jpg", "media2.8ch.$new_list = []for i in ls: new_list.append(i.split("/")[-1])print(new_list[2]

oh I fucked up that copy paste a bit. Nonetheless, the relevant fix is in there

hey Holla Forums I have a small, old PC I want to install some kind of Linux on.

It's an old industrial single-board system. 256mb ram, 300mhz geode processor, uses a CF card as the hard drive, no CD drive and can't USB boot.

Suggestions?

I've tried TinyCore Linux, it's ok but I'm after something more. I've tried Debian but it fails during the "select software" phase of net install, and trying to boot past that just gives a blinking cursor.

Puppy Linux is worth a try, considering it's made for older computers. It's a bit heavier than Tiny Core but is much more useful out of the box.
If you want to try outside Linux there's Kolibri OS, if you can get it to boot.

Never heard of Kolibri before now
Is this a general problem or are you referring to the moribund hardware I'm running?

Ever so slightly. But it is still none free software, so the situation can change any time.

Yes that is it.
Have you tried cleaning the fan? Is there still power when you plug in the charger?

It uses generic drivers, so it should boot on most computers. I've only tried it in Virtualbox and it worked fine there, but a lot of real computers have their own quirks they can't account for.

Okay...

Just got kicked out of a game of Diablo 3 after playing for like, 30 minutes online...

Only for my "Forced Upgrade" into Windows 10 (from windows 7) to tell me that it didn't have the proper drivers to establish a network connection.

So, rambling aside, how long do you think it would take me to flash the 120GB SSD I place my windows partition on for just this purpose?

(Also, reinstalling older windows version blues...)

sadface when can't embed...

youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s

In Windows, how do I force Windows to install a driver over fucking anything?

Here's my situation;
Here's what I tried;

is there a utility or trick anywhere that'll tell Windows to go fuck itself? Linux is not an option, drivers for this chip do not exist on Linux and generic drivers, as you can plainly see, will not work, I want to ring the motherfuckers neck who designed this like such fucking shit

Format works pretty well, I've found....

takes care of all of those pesky registry entries.

Dirext X was sort of the harbinger of Microsofts evil intentions, the monopolization of the gaming market.

If that was their intentions then they failed miserably, except for PC, but PC is only a small part of the entire gaming industry despite what PCfags like to think

You don`t desirve any help.
With that out of the way.
It depends on the speed of your SSD and size of your OS partition. I would guess around 30 minutes though.

Find the only question i asked in my post, bitch.

How much would I benefit from getting 3000mhz DRR4 RAM instead of 2400mhz DDR4 RAM with the same timing? Wanted to get the most FPS out of my games, but if it's a tiny difference I'll get the latter and save $30.

metadubs

there are no images.

it's even dubs o clock.

Who pissed?

I'm chillin.

You mad cause you can't find the only question in my post?

or you just to proud to admit you dun goofed?

Getting this pissed off at a reference. Nice one. What a way to respond to some fag for actually responding with something useful.

Andtech did a article about this couple of years ago. The short version: 1-2 frames difference .

Wow, much useful.

So kind response

many helpings

For serious bro?

Mostly :^) What else can a response be without having more details? Nice emulation of a reditfag, there.

I can`t really of any. It should be already to go.

I'ev got too many 2.4GHz wireless networks around me causing tons of interference on all channels, but not all my devices are 5GHz compatible.

Can I buy a second 5GHz router, set it to bridge mode to connect to the original 5GHz network, and then plug my incompatible devices in through Ethernet, essentially using the second router as a big wireless adapter?

bumping this request

I guess debian is shit at DNS?

I open settings>network settings> ipv6 for my network
disable automatic DNS
put 2001:4860:4860::8844 as ipv6 DNS
apply
open
address is changed to 32.1.72.96
ipv6 doesn't work

What am I doing wrong?

My resolution/monitor settings reset most of the time whenever I boot up. This coincides with reboots and shutdowns taking way too long showing

(example numbers)

It used to (and still sometimes does) reboot and shutdown very quickly with none of this crap.

I've made sure my nvidia settings are configured and saved to xorg.conf and that I've bound the system's idea of where it is with

mhwd-gpu --setxorg /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I've made copies of this file under different names like nvidia.conf and 90-mhwd.conf in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/ just in case something was expecting them to be there.

I've also reset the nvidia settings with

nvidia-xconfig

This actually fixes the resolution somewhat on reboots but makes the background wallpapers and taskbars positioned all wrong and overlapping. So I go in and change the settings again either in a text editor on the xorg.conf or through nvidia-settings both as root and regular user (read somewhere that can be an issue sometimes). It might work fine for one reboot, albeit with that slow shutdown splash screen (which sometimes never ends btw) but it will always go back to pic related settings.

Weirdly enough it always remembers the rotation of the acer monitor while forgetting everything else. Sometimes it'll remember all my settings but place my main taskbar panel on the acer screen (my secondary) and I have to move it back. I eventually got sick of this and just deleted that panel in case it was perma bound to that monitor or something and then created a fresh one on my main. It went to the secondary anyway even though in all the settings I can find I've said that the benq monitor is the main screen and everything should sync to that.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the fuck is going on?

more info if it helps

If you mean you want the second router to act as a WLAN client, the answer is probably not. The good news however is that you can get dedicated WLAN clients, such as the Linksys WES610N. It's expensive and fairly slow. I would recommend against doing it this way in favor of just running some cabling, but it's ultimately up to you.

Guess this isn't worth a thread:

What's Holla Forums's approved pastebin alternative?

I'm searching something secure, preferable open source, no censorships, minimal site layout.

Hey, the onion address for Holla Forums is back up but I can't post images. Why is that?

It usually takes me ~10 minutes to install Windows 7 to a 1 TB HDD. However if you want to wipe it first (like in Linux or by formatting) it can take anywhere from an hour or more.

Tor users were never allowed to post pictures.

Yes they were. Before the onion address got taken down you could post images on Holla Forums all the time.

Usually the board owner decides if Tor users can post images,

I got introduced to ms office's onenote through work a while ago.

I really fucking dig it.

However, I'd like to have something y'know, not windows on my machine at home

Any alternatives like it? I've heard of Evernote, but I don't dig it: I like one note's ability to just fucking drop all sorts of media on it, snip shit off the desktop, etc.

tried installing file-ruller but it gives me an error of dependensy.

run "apt-get install -f" to fix.

i do it, but when i try to install it again it gives the same error.

ive heard of ghostbin.

but not sure if its Holla Forums approved

What is the error?

I run the command, but then when i try to install it again it gives the same error.

is xarchiver a good alternative?

Try sudo apt-get update?

i installed wangblows on my chinkpad t420 but the internet doesnt work and the resolution is stuc kat 1024xsomething

congratulations

Can someone recommend me a non botnet, encrypted and cross platform instant messenger? Are Retroshare, Cryptocat or Ricochet good?

i tried installing that lenovo driver shit but i dont think any of them are for muh internet

eff.org/node/82654
The link is out of date, but should serve as a good starting point

i cant use ethernet

and where is that image from

Are you taking me for a ruse cruise user?
I'm legit wondering.

I want you to go to a search engine and type 't420 drivers', then I want you to click on literally the first fucking link you find and then click on the fucking dropdown menus to select your OS and THEN CLICK ON THE GODDAMN COMPONENT YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD

Phew, now I'm just laughin'

See user, this is why we don't engage with Windows users

ive already tried the drivers on that you faggot

Do you want to know how I know you didn't? Because you literally just posted "where is that image from"

That image is from the fucking website where you get the actual drivers for your machine, and I should know because I have pic fucking related.

So if you want to prove me wrong, I want you to right click "computer" click on "manage" then click on "Device Manager" and if you have ZERO FUCKING question mark icons on that screen, I will literally post a picture of me with crunchy peanut butter on my chest.

SWARE ON ME MUM

I was just checking, i had already been to that, i jsut didnt recognize it

i dont not understnad

See that yellow ZTE icon? That's my shitty ass phone that has no drivers for windows. Everything else is fine.

If you had "already tried the drivers" from that, then your screen would have ZERO yellow question mark icons on that screen. I'd bet my left nut you DO have missing drivers because you never bothered clicking around on memenovo's website on the first place.

Now, I may be able to interest you on something more suitable for your skills.

u nigger, ive tried every single driver on that shit stie, i stillcant connect to the internet

Then I don't know what to say m8. Maybe your shit's broken. Here's a webm to cheerup.

My headphones suddenly won't work unless I put the volume up to 60% - 100%

Before all I had to do was set them to 12%

What happened?

also my internet connection seems to have been raped as well

this all happened only after i turned my PC on for the day

Help. Python

I have two lists
x = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]y = [6, 7, 8, 9, 10]

How do I loop through them simultaneously?

threads

What do you mean by simultaneously?
You want it to loop through x, then y(1,2,3,4....9,10) or to loop through x together with y(1,6,2,7...5,10)?

something like this:
for i, n in x, y: print(i,n)

I'm not getting it lad, just tell me what do you want the end result to be.

end result ought to be:
[code]
1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10
[code]

Don't know Python, but this should give the general idea.
limit = x.lengthwhile n < limit { print "x[n] y[n]" increment n}

In other words, use a while loop

Eh, why use a while if he only wants to loop through the list once?
Might as well use a for, I'm just not really figuring out how to get
1 62 73 84 95 10

Thanks, guys. I figured it out:
for i, n in zip(x, y): print(i,n)

Got it lad

listo1 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]listo2 = [6, 7, 8, 9, 10]z = [] x = 0zetta = 0while x < listo1: global zetta global x print listo1[zetta], listo2[zetta] zetta += 1 x += 1

Note:It is not 100% optmized, it was made like that so that you could understand

I feel embarassed now lad

now my headphones are just getting quieter and quieter

this is also still an issue, but other computers are fine

I fixd ithis by downloading and uinstalling downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25223/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-

Got a spare motherboard you can swap in, to test? Sounds like your mobo could be fucked maybe

How can I check the temperature of my CPU in Windows 7? I checked the BIOS and there was nothing there.Is there some software I can download to do so?And what is a bad temp?

Before I cared much about using free software, I used CPU-Z

oh and bad temp depends on the CPU. Google it

speccy

speccy and realtemp.

Look up ECryptFS if you're on Linux.
On Mint/Noobuntu, it should be there by default$ ecryptfs-setup-private^that will set up ~/Private, go with autogenerated KEY and use your actual computer login passPHRASE

Then either log out+in or run $ ecryptfs-mount-private and you will have a really secure folder which is automounted at login, can be unmounted if you want (and I think the default setup creates a shortcut inside it when it's umounted that will prompt you for the mount passphrase)

Mounted = accessible, enabled, activated; the password is entered and the data can be read)

Bruh what difference does it make :/
CPU-Z is functional and intuitive and it's not like it's violating ANY of your freedoms when compared with your OS

How do people go about finding personal information on people on the internet? Want to find all of my own information and remove it

It's called Doxxing.You'll have to dox yourself.Relevant sites that can find info on you and others are at the bottom of the ED page.Usually the best way is to just put your name into a search engine.

encyclopediadramatica.se/Dox

well fug

So all memes aside, I'm interested in installing a "ricer" distro like Gentoo, but was wondering if there's a freetard version of it before I do so?

My reason for installing would be to learn more about my system. Purely for the learning experience since I'm newish here and suck at this stuff, and Ubuntu is getting old.

I'm also considering Parabola btw but I want a challenge / learning experience. If anons have other methods of powerleveling, I'm open to anything other than deleting system32 :^)

I installed an OS on a smaller partition and made a large one to store stuff on seperate from that

But everything just keeps downloading to the OS one. Why is it doing this? How do I make stuff install and download to my larger partition by default?

Gentoo can and will run on 100% free software right?

Why is Ututo kill

Install it regularly, but don't install nonfree software. What's the problem?

Hi, it's
again...

Um...so, where's the temp?

nvm used this

tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html

But now I can't install anything to the seperate partition, everything just aborts. How do I fix this?

Yes, you can set it up so that only freedom respecting software is installed. However you are going to have to complied your own kernel.

I am assuming Windows here, open my computer, right click on which directory under favorties you want to move, select properties, Shortcut tab >> change the target box to the new location, click apply and it should work.

I already did that

But now I can't install anything to the different partition without an error

Mabye it is something to do with permissions?

Even running programs as administrator gives errors

how does it compare to arch?

Arch you just install prepackaged shit and gentoo you pick and choose? what would give me maximum potential performance?

Should I just reinstall with only one partition?

why??

I just had to restart my pc

Ok, before I jump down this rabbit hole, I need an answer.

Will Gentoo running on libreboot support multitouch on an X200 T? Multitouch as in finger and pen/digitizer

can anyone name some good alternative tablet OSs to android?

Can I convert my SD card from FAT32 to NTFS without backing up my files? Or will they be deleted?

they'll be deleted

t-thanks anyway

maybe its different with sd cards. Ive only ever converted usbs.

So I've been having connectivity problems lately. There's a big chance it's my shitty internet provider, and I contacted them one month ago and no answer yet. So, besure the problem isn't on my end, I went to my modem's log and found pic related.
I googled some of the lines but no clear results at what it means, mostly something related to MAC and shit, but I'm not stupid to use any of that, although not bright enough to solve this. Any idea?

Would you believe me if I told you an actual server in production uses JUMPs in code written in a high level language?

They're fucking using JUMPs on handlers.

Well it doesn't have systemd but has OpenRC. You can also rather easily setup it up to only install libre software. It may take a bit longer.
Well with Arch you can do both, complie stuff manually as well as binary downloads.
Gentoo has pre packaged downloads for applications that other wise souls take way to long to complile, Firefox for example.
what would give me maximum potential performance?
Short and easy version: Gentoo and source based distro`s in general.
Longer: some binary focused distro`s allow you to edit the binary packages more easily than others.
Multitouch is more the domain of the Display Enviroment. Cinnamon, Enlightenment (tablet preset) and Gnome 3 plus some others may have good support.
Some alternatives to Android off the top of my head: Firefox, Tigen, Microsoft`s rectangler cliterous. Still Android at their core: Cayongen, Coperhead, Blackpriv, the libre Android fork.
It should totally beliveble seeing what other things happen in the world.
Well it is always good to have a backup incase.

h-help me...

Use speccy, fag.

Presumably you weren't around when NT took over from the original Windows line, as Microsoft has always provided a tool for converting FAT32 file systems into NTFS while preserving all the data on the fs.

I'm giving my old laptop to a good friend of mine who is pretty tech-illiterate-- but not an idiot by any means-- and I have a few questions.

I want this friend to stay the fuck away from Windows, so I'm thinking about simply going with either Mint or Ucuntu, but my freetard is screaming libreboot with Trisquel even though he probably won't give a shit.

I haven't had a lot of time with either and don't know what would be of use to him or the system.

If so, how would I go about doing this?

I'm already planning on ricing it and of course installing a torrent client, but what would be even neater?

You know, just in case he fucks something up while I'm away?

#include //#include using namespace std;string g_timezone;int input() { int x; cin >> x; return x;}int timezone_aest() { int x; if(g_timezone == "p") { x = 1800; } if(g_timezone == "e") { x = 1500; } cout

I don't know what happened. but somehow ls stopped working properly.

I"m try to list only the .png files in a folder but I get all the files instead
ls *.png /home/usr/Pictures/

I'm a fucking dumbass
ls /home/usr/Pictures/*.png

I just completed my first build, but when I go to the BIOS menu, my hdd doesn't come up as a boot option. When I go to the boot override and click it anyway, it tells me
Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller series v2.59 (01/13/14)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOFL Exiting PXE ROM.
Reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

The model of the HDD is
1000GB 3,5" Seagate Barracuda ST31000340NS SATA II 7200rpm

I may try re-seating it, but if there's anything anyone can tell me about what to do (I'm rather lost in regards to properly navigating the BIOS) I'd be really grateful.

inb4 newfag

i just stumbled across Orbot. Is it trash? Is there a better alternative? Help me out Holla Forums

What's with all of these "inb4," are we harboring reddit refugees now?

Since the messege said check the cable you should probably go do that

what wrong with this code? I want to scan all the home folders and move all .torrent files found in them
1 #!/bin/sh 2 folders=$(ls -d /home/femo/*/) 3 for t in $folders; do 4 for file in $t; do 5 fid=$file 6 for ti in $fid;do 7 l=$(ls *torrent) 8 for tt in $l; do 9 mv $tt $HOME/tt/ 10 done 11 done 12 done 13 done

i have debian x64 running in virtualbox on win7 host cuz reasons, but it's stuck at bootup with just an underscore. anyne wanna lend a braincell?

find . -name '*.torrent' -exec mv '{}' ~ \;

To clarify on this: 'find' is a command that finds files, and can optionally execute a command using the file names as arguments.

$ find . -name '*.torrent'
This prints a list of all files in the current folder (and in folders inside it, recursively) that are named *.torrent

The find command has an argument named '-exec'. The '{}' represents the name of the file that find has found. The \; represents the end of the command that you want find to execute.

So if there was a file ~/Documents/poop.torrent, the whole find command in would find the file and then execute
mv ~/Documents/poop.torrent ~

When it's booting, hit "e" to edit the options. Find the line starting with "linux" (see pic related).

Firstly add "nomodeset" to the end of the line, then hit whatever key is assigned to booting. See if that helps.

let me see if i can even get that far. also thanks for the reply.

followup:
nope, it goes straight to the black screen with the underscore.

Shit sorry I was unclear. You're supposed to hit 'e' at the bootloader, before Debian itself starts booting. Mash that bitch as soon as the VM starts, I guess.

If 'e' doesn't work, maybe you don't have grub. Do you know if you use an alternative bootloader?

thats what i did. grub though... hang on imma try something.

thanks for your help. somehow i was too retarded to install the grub loader.

8chanX seems to break the "show post options" section. Whenever I click on it it doesn't show.

Does anyone know how to fix this in the code itself?
I'm not really sure whether it's always been broken or it just changed, but I think it's the latter.

Alternatives to (((Youtube)))?

pomf.se and clones.

Do you need an SD card to install linux on an android device? All the guides say to use an SD card, but why can't I just use the tablet's storage?

Help! I want to download some youtube videos that are blocked in my country with youtube-dl.

Do you install your OS from your main HDD when you are using your PC?

how about vimeo or trutube?

but why?

I don't trust them, they ban and delete videos they don't like, kinda like what happened to evalion.

They also don't respect your privacy.

Are you referring to pomf or vimeo?

to youtube, lad. I'm asking about alternatives where you don't have to download the video.

Make some .webms and host them on your own site.

alias clipvlc='vlc $(youtube-dl -g $(xclip -selection clipboard -o))'
My gift unto you, my child. Never have to download a video again. works great for porn sites that you usually need flash player to access, or for sites that you don't want to allow scripts on

like I said, pomf.
ever heard of HTML5? videos are played through the browser, just like images.
Test:
a.uguu.se/ZzXUepFwyKvs_testvideofortech.webm

mpv does that automatically.
also >VLC

Huh, never knew that. Time to switch, I guess

This is a new install and I'm a lazy prick. It's been over a week and I still haven't added myself to the sudoers file

So I sort of fucked up and I'm now the owner of about 9 old ass laptops, two of which are totally stripped as well as about 4 cpus+mobos from 2002-2006. Other than throwing this stuff to the curb, what other options do I have which all of this fucking ancient and outdated computer equipment?

donate them.

Hello Holla Forums. I'm a web designer but I would like to get into back-end development. Should I learn PHP or stick with python (I already know python)? I hear people complain about PHP. Should I use python frameworks or learn PHP Instead?

Where though? Again, I don't know who the fuck would want this stuff. The CPUs and such I found from the desktops are shit from 1999-2001 and the newest part in the batch is an AM2 mobo. I don't know where I can send them other than to recycling or the garbage bin and in both instances I don't get any benefit.

Looks like they want laptops.
openbsd.org/want.html
Or, I don't know, sell them on ebay or do something creative, figure it out yourself.

After a year I'm randomly getting a "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows" watermark on Windows 10, whats a good way to remove this I've tried some KMS activator thing that ended up installing a bunch of malware, and a "universal watermark remover" but nothing worked. How should I go about removing this?

kmspico10.com/

I have KMSpico I think I installed it with my copy of windows, however what you just linked me to is what gave me all the malware earlier today, ever after I unchecked all the typical bullshit in the wizard

yep just installed it again, tons of malware even after unchecking everything lol. about to do another restore.

i am posting this from a commodore 64

So is there no other way to remove to watermark without KMSpico?

Doesn't look like anything of mine is anything of value to them. Seems like I'm going to be down with this buy, I either have the garbage can, recycling or something else.

It's only $10, but it's a whole massive assload of dinosaur parts.

Notable items include an AMD Athlon from 1999, three Compaq laptop and a BTX case.

What do you think of running Arch on a Pi-Top for uni work? Mostly word processing and internet browsing.

pi-top.com/

Pls be nice, am newfag from /k/

install gentoo

If checking the cable didn't work, try disconnecting devices until it works.

I had a similar problem and my solution was my mouse for some reason.

Q4OS/Trinity is very Windows UI-friendly and supports some of the more well-known browsers including Chrome. I believe it also uses the Debian repository with Synaptic so if you want to be all "free as in freedom" about it then it doesn't get much more free than Debian.

As for your other questions I have no clue. I'm pretty new to all this Linux stuff myself.

Okay, what about the hardware though? The actual Pi-Top itself?

I had to bypass that for getting my WiiU pro-troller to work on Win8: had to use the toshiba stack instead of the regular MS bluetooth

You can press f8 during bootup and select the option to 'allow unsigned drivers'. There's also a GPO somewhere to prevent the automatic install of drivers.

Here's what I had to used, just read the instructions and follow the ones that'd apply to you.

I bought a small NAS that's serving me pretty well. Got it for cheap, have it mirroring my cheapo drives.

However, since it has no video out, I can't change BIOS settings unless I get a cable like pic related that goes for about 30 bucks on ebay.

Is there another way to search for one of these? Otherwise I'll be doomed to unseat my bottom drive every shutdown so that it boots from USB.

the last time i dual boot'd with windows I didn't encounter this problem

Maybe give them to some NEET in need?

Is there a good email provider that doesn't require mobile/email authorization?

My Blue Snowball ice microphone is quiet as all hell when I'm streaming. I can't exactly have the thing right up in my face while I'm playing video games, so what can I do to make it audible? I've turned the game volume down as low as 5%, and I'm still too quiet.

yandex?

Cockmail

If you just want a laptop you can do much better than that. Thinkpad T420 or X220 if you want something big, thick and reliable. They also have amazing Linux support and they're cheap as fuck refurbished from eBay. Dell Chromebook 15 + Linux if you want battery life.

If you want a single board computer to fuck around with don't bother with the RasPi, because there are better boards out there. Olimex Lime A20 if you just want a tiny computer and don't care about attaching stuff to it. Beaglebone Black if you want to attach stuff to it, and you want it to be easy to use, but it's a bit slow. Cubieboard 1, 2 and 3 are really good in general. but they cost a bit more. Odroid C1+ would be great but it needs an old version of the Linux kernel to run, so it's an option when they fix that. Avoid anything Allwinner outside the A10 and A20.
If you really need a RasPi the B+ is good enough for most things. They're easy enough to get used.

Perhaps, but I don't know any NEETs locally that actually want old as shit laptops.

pls halp

Also, I asked this in the earlier thread and I don't think I got an answer.
How do I add playlists in ncmpcpp without loading it into the main playlists?
You can delete songs, but I'm not sure how you add them.

How to I install this on Debian?
horst3180.deviantart.com/art/Vertex-Theme-470663601

*do

can't you read?

it was too difficult and it said file not found.
spoonfeed me!

install the requirements
; sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard gtk2-engines-murrine

remove all older versions of the package
; sudo rm -rf /usr/share/themes/{Vertex,Vertex-Dark,Vertex-Light,Vertex-Gnome-Shell,Vertex-Gnome-Shell-3.16,Vertex-Cinnamon}; rm -rf ~/.local/share/themes/{Vertex,Vertex-Dark,Vertex-Light,Vertex-Gnome-Shell,Vertex-Gnome-Shell-3.16,Vertex-Cinnamon}; rm -rf ~/.themes/{Vertex,Vertex-Dark,Vertex-Light,Vertex-Gnome-Shell,Vertex-Gnome-Shell-3.16,Vertex-Cinnamon}

install
; su;echo 'deb download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Horst3180/Debian_8.0/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vertex-theme.list ; apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get install vertex-theme

It was explained there by the way

; thanx fam

Could I get a distro recommendation?

I'm a Windows user who's been meaning to switch to GNU/Linux for a while. I agree %100 philosophically with the ethics behind free software but obviously I wouldn't be as technically inclined as most other users especially considering my unfamiliarity with Unix-like systems and GNU/Linux in particular.

I went ahead and installed Slackware64 which I am currently posting with since I got the impression that it was maintained intelligently and with good-will. I appreciate the idea behind Slackware in that it respects its users and keeps everything strictly under your control but I am definitely in over my head. With enough free time and determination I'd probably be able to figure it out eventually but it's been a bigger time-sink than I had hoped and I would rather go with something a little more intuitive.

I could just bite the bullet and go with Mint but I think a better direction would be something that has some hand-holding, just not TOO much. Debian perhaps? Devuan? I really don't know. Part of the reason I went with Slack was due to the whole systemd thing but I guess I'm not really in the position to be choosey. The laptop I'm using is x86_64. I'd like to use steam along with a couple other proprietary programs, and I'd like to rice it.

Go with either an Ubuntu derivative or Debian.

I'd recommend an Ubuntu variant. It is used as baby's first distro quite often, but that's not a bad thing. There's no point jumping in at the deep end unless you know what you're doing or you have an actual reason to shy away from *buntu.

Ideally: install whichever Ubuntu variant you like best (Ubuntu MATE would be my pick), and when you install make sure to put /home on a separate partition. Later on, after you know your way around a Linux system, you can install a different distro if you choose to, but keep the same /home partition. This will let you distro-hop without losing all of your stuff.

lubuntu.

Don't worry too much about systemd just yet. If you just want to use a prebuilt linux distro you'll never notice it.

All about doing everything yourself. You generally use slackbuilds to compile and install stuff, which has more steps than in other distros. Slackware is rock solid and much simpler than other distros, but you have to know your stuff
Made to be much easier. There's a repository you can download your programs from, and everything is preconfigured. Debian focuses on stability, so it updates every 2 or so years. There's also Debian Testing, which is more up to date.
Debian made easy. Most software is made for it, it's easy to use and just werks. They have their own desktop environment, called Unity.
See Ubuntu, but uses their own DE called Cinnamon.
Like Debian, but only has minimal configuration at the start. You have to install and run everything yourself. Huge repository of software to make installing stuff easy. Don't use this until you know your stuff
See Arch, but you compile and install everything yourself. The compilation is done automatically, so it isn't any harder.
Enterprise distro made for stability. Has a nice configuration tool called YAST, which is like the Control Panel. SUSE is the paid version, OpenSUSE is the community one. The differences are negligible.
See OpenSUSE, but by a different company. No idea if they have something like YAST though. Red Hat is the stable version, Fedora is the community one. Fedora uses newer packages, but is less stable.

As for Destkop Environments:
Focuses on simplicity. OSXlike
Fork of GNOME because they went full retard with simplicity. Looks like Windows XP and is easy to customize
See Cinnamon, but it's OSXlike and is harder to customize
Windows 7 on steroids. Has a fuckton of configuration, but not as polished. Default fonts are shit so change them
For older computers. XPlike
See LXDE, but more comfy. Best one if you don't want to put up with bullshit from the others.

Most distros come with most environments, so all you need to worry about is the distro and environment. Ubuntu + KDE (Or Kubuntu as it's called) is a great place to start, because you get all the software as easily as possible and the interface is Windows-like.

I was considering Debian due to all the shitting on Ubuntu goes through as well as on the default environments that come with *buntu, but if it really isn't all that bad it most definitely isn't I'll go through with it. I do intend at getting better at this as time goes on. Even if it was just with Windows I've always been competent at getting things done tech-wise.

Funny. If it weren't for the issue being explained and argued about a million times over here and elsewhere in the Linux community I would never had known about it of my own volition. At least not until I had come more to terms with everything. It almost doesn't warrant discussion since anyone who isn't already aware either doesn't know enough of Linux, and by extension, Unix philosophy to care, or whilst knowing don't care about Unix outright.

debian doesn't come with nonfree driver.
beware that some distros don't have official steam support (only *buntu does afaik.)

and since you mentioned UNIX philosophy
web.archive.org/web/20120114110757/http://books.cat-v.org/computer-science/unix-programming-environment/

You should mention the difference between rolling release distros vs point release as well, with regards to the distros you listed. There's a big difference between the 2 models, especially for a noob

How do I git gud at technology? I only know tidbits. Where's a good place to start for every programmer and technician? I hear most start at an early age but I'm already 20.

You're gonna need to be a bit more specific than that. What exactly do you want to be good at?

Software?
What aspect? Usage? Development? For which OS?

Hardware? For which platform?

the tldr of gitting gud is build a PC, and then install gentoo on it

Ideally, I'd like to learn from each area, but both hardware and software interests me. It's entry-level shit, but I leik soldering hardware. I've already assembled a PC, and I felt it was basically just legos for adults. What might installing Gentoo teach me?
I'd also like to learn more about diagnostics on problems rather than relying on google and outdated forum posts.

That doesn't seem to stop its implementation on other distros. I had some success getting it to work on Slackware for instance.

steamcommunity.com/groups/slackware

off the top of my head, the role of:
-The bootloader
-BIOS/UEFI
-filesystems
-partitions
-keymaps
-source code
-a compiler
-a kernel/userland, and the distinction between them
-networking shit like DHCP, what your router does etc.

That's all general software knowledge, it'll also teach you a bunch of Linux/UNIX-specific stuff.

That's how Holla Forums solves problems. That's how every technologically-minded person solves problems. The only distinction between Holla Forums-types and normies is how good each group is at googling for a solution

I see. Well, shit; looks like I was unknowingly already on my way to becoming Holla Forums.

Thanks, user

Holla Forums help a brotha out. I plan on changing the os of my desktop from win8 to a pirates win7. Is there any copypaste on how to deal with the telemetry issues on win 7? Also if I change the os on my bootdrive ssd, will the files on my hdd be effected at all?

I'm looking for a file manager/image organiser with tagging support. Installed DigiKam but it's the very definition of bloat, so looking for a lightweight alternative.

If you only format your SSD your hard drive shouldn't be touched. If you're cautious you could take it out while installing Windows but you shouldn't have to.
Pirated Windows 7 is easy enough. MS used to give out ISOs for free on a site called DigitalRiver or something, but they've stopped. Get a DigitalRiver Windows 10 ISO from somewhere, and use Windows Loader to crack it. Make sure to get legit versions of the ISO and WL, or you'll be botnetting your system before you even use it.
mega.nz/#!BNITia4D!Y2BL87WvIlEwwzpXYVcoHhVr9EZmcULQm5s3mnyNzZI is what I use, just ignore the stuff that isn't Windows Loader.
As for telemetry the GWX Control Panel should take care of that and the Windows 10 upgrade thing. I've never used it so I can't say for sure though.

Shameless self-bump.

Get a VPN.

paying just to download a few videos? no way!

Use a free proxy.

Or just download Tor and never have that problem again.

Sure, user. I'll just wait a few decades for the download to finish, then I get to enjoy my content!

Then see my first post and stop yer bitching.

Thanks anons

And I'm already tired of this braindead conversation. user, install openvpn.net/
Alternatively, for example, Opera dev recently acquired an in-built VPN.

was not me
tried to do ``torify youtube-dl videolink, but it only gave me a ``302: not found.

Turns out it was a youtube-dl problem. The command still freezes the system to the point I have to hard reset.

help, how do I do this?
i tried to do

; export https_proxy='x.x.x.x:x'
; youtube-dl --proxy "x.x.x.x:x" link

using one of the proxies available at proxylist.hidemyass.com , but it didn't work.

Which proxy are you trying to use? I'll do the same on my machine and see if it's a problem on your end

thank you.
137.135.166.225:8124

$ youtube-dl --proxy "137.135.166.225:8124/" youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[youtube] dQw4w9WgXcQ: Downloading webpageERROR: Unable to download webpage: (caused by URLError(SSLEOFError(8, u'EOF occurred in violation of protocol (_ssl.c:590)'),))[email protected]/* */-pc:~$ youtube-dl --version2016.02.22
Nope, didn't work for me either.

I can view the video if I use
hide.me/en/proxy
or
proxysite.com/
but if I try to ytdl the proxied url it prints ``Tunnel connection failed: 403 forbidden''.

Is there any software/extension that can generate/create numbers at the end?
For example if i add random url e.g. random.net/page/1, it would create these - random.net/page/2
random.net/page/3
random.net/page/4
random.net/page/5
random.net/page/6
random.net/page/7

Anyone know how to crack win 7?

I know, but ReactOS doesn't work well. Unless there are any other suggestions.

for i in `seq 999`; do echo "random.net/page/$i"; done
prints
random.net/page/1
to
random.net/page/999

kmspico

Sorry, I should have noted what my os windows, the solution you gave is only for linux i suppose?

Any UNIX derivate, so Linux, *BSD, OSX, etc.
If you tell me what URL list you want i can print it for you and upload it.

Thank you for your kind offer, but i will be ashamed if i send this link to you

I have a Google drive account from my university that gives me unlimited storage. Do you think I'd get flagged or something if I uploaded a few tbs of (encrypted) backups?

try with cygwin

Just installed a fresh copy of Trisquel. What should I do or download to improve my experience? Any neat scripts I can run?

install mpv or something

Which is best distro for ARM?

to add on to I would suggest youtube-dl and bleachbit.

If you're talking about a single board computer, Armbian.
armbian.com/download/

nah fam im staying away from win10 completely, which is why I was planning on dumping win8 for 7. I just need to find a way to clear out the telemetry in 7

Pay for a legit copy you nigger.

are you trying to be a ruseman right now?

How do I activate or remove the activation thingy from Windows 7 pro 64? Anyone got a good fix for this?

OR does anyone have an extra key?

Probably not. Just use Daz's Win7 loader. You can probably find a torrent somewhere.

Thanks

whats a good program for opening .iso's since daemon tools went full shekel with ads

alright what's better, Slackware or Gentoo?

depends, what's your operating system?

nothing to do with better
you're asking for the popularity of them
inform yourself about the characteristics of the distros

I'm talking about feature-wise, and if what is supported more

both windows and linux

whenever you install anything, on whatever drive you put it, it always puts folders in documents and appdata on your os drive

is there a way to change the default drive for this stuff so that nothing ever actually gets written on the os drive?

and does someone have an image guide for all the necessary windows 7 tweaks for ssd?

Who did this?

What is a good free video editor?

How about simply not updating from when SP1 was released? I have a mega link with a copy of a Windows 7 Pro .iso and DAZ Loader, which may hyperthically worked before on my machine just fine.

For Windows the wiki's recommdation works just fine. For GNU/Linux again the wiki would probably have a idea.
first part try , second part the wiki would probably be able to help.
Not this again. Go into >>>/gaschamber/
It really depends on your OS. Check the wiki for suggestions.

Windows 7. On the wiki there is only one.

Whats a good remote desktop application I can host on an Ubuntu box?

I'm in the process of learning CLI and was wondering if you guise had any neat scripts that won't fuck my shit up.

What's a good and free dyndns service?

How do I get past this insufferable fucking bullshit? Or where can I download an old version of tor browser?

Looking through the BIOS settings on my PC, I notice a settings that emulates the Intel GPU BIOS as either a PCI bus or AGP bus

Does setting it to one over the other make a difference in this day and age? I do not have a dedicated GPU by the way so the Intel Video BIOS is the primary one

So i'm trying to install mint 17.2 on my computer but when it tries to actually boot it the computer restarts everytime.

install gentoo

ebin

Got a quick one.

Every time I start my computer or re-connect to my wireless, the internet on my desktop won't work for a few minutes, then it does. Everything connects fine, but when I try to visit a site, it won't work until I let it sit for a few minutes.

I recently discovered that during this time, a svchost process is running at a constant 25% cpu load and when the internet starts working correctly, it goes down to normal. I thought this might be my connection configuring but then I tried ending the task while it was still running at 25% and my connection immediately started working fine.

I've already run several virus scans because I know svchost is a common vector for that shit, but nothing came up besides some tracking cookies here and there.

So what the fuck could possibly be going on?

install gentoo

It appears that your system has been infected with bloated, shittily made malware. I'm afraid the only solution is to install Linux

lol botnet

Is there any point in using both NoScript and LibreJS? I currently use NoScript, and am pondering whether LibreJS is worth the install

Not autistic enough, sorry.

Shit, I didn't notice you mentioned a mouse.
Fuck me.

get the fuck off my Holla Forums, pleb

No

Getting the same problem

Hey Holla Forums, 2 days ago I left my windows slightly open on a stormy windy night, my desk was next the windows so was my ps3,controller,laptop and other stuff. When I woke up my I found out my Ps3 got water in it, I managed to get it dry and it works fine, but my controller got wet and when I plug it in it doesn't work, but it keeps doing something strange, my Ps3 controller LED 4 blinks for four seconds and stops, Is this supposed to indicated something or is it just fucked, but I don't have the money to buy a new one plz halp.

Could be the battery. Open the controller up, take out the rechargeable battery, put it back together and plug it into the PS3 with a Mini USB cable. If it works the battery is fucked, and it shouldn't be hard to replace.

I want a proxy that will render a page with JavaScript and spit out HTML+CSS out the other side so that I can browse the web with JavaScript disabled in my browser.

Not him but could someone explain Window managers. Do they replace desktop environments or do they both need to be installed? I also always see people with the same simple desktops that look dark and they have pixelated text. How can I get my laptop to look similar? Thx guys

Did you get it installed or can you not even get into the installer?

It's possible. I can think of one way off the top of my head.

Install phantomJS. It's a headless browser that supports javascript (and is scriptable from javascript). Create the following file pget.js
//usage: $ phantomjs pget.js URL//eg $ phantomjs pget.js google.comsystem = require('system');var page = require('webpage').create();page.open(system.args[1], function () { console.log(page.content); phantom.exit();});
This will fetch a single page, render it with javascript, and spit out HTML/CSS.

Now you need a way to transparently integrate this into your browsing. Look into a proxy software called squid. You might be familiar with the name because it was used in the pretty well-known upside down-ternet prank (well worth a read if you're a Holla Forumsie). Squid supports an option "url_rewrite_program", documentation here squid-cache.org/Doc/config/url_rewrite_program/

Next up you want to set up a web server on your machine. It won't be public-facing, so it doesn't have to be fancy or secure. Then leave it for now.

So now you need to hack together a script to be used as the url rewrite program. You want it to take a url, hand it to phantomjs (using pget.js or any other script), and save the output HTML/CSS into the web server's folder (the folder where all the content is saved, IDK what to call it). Then the script outputs the URL of this HTML/CSS document that your local web server is now serving up.

Configure squid so that it allows access, and adjust your browser's proxy settings to point to squid.

Remember what I said about that upside-down-ternet prank? It's useful, because it's a pretty similar setup to what I've just outlined. The only difference is in then url rewrite program used, and in the method for getting people to use the squid proxy - in the prank, obviously they don't want people to be aware of the proxy so they use ARP poisoning or iptables. You instead should be able to just mess about in your browser's settings. If you google, you'll find a guide showing you how to do it on the Ubuntu wiki. There's also a video on the internet by a guy called gotm1lk (or some other bullshit l33tspeak corruption of "gotmilk"). I'd recommend that video, as he shows all the steps that are required for each piece of software.

I've never actually tested this, and to be honest I tried setting up the upside-down-ternet once and I couldn't get it working. That being said. I think this should probably work.

The window manager is the bit of the desktop environment that handles the windows. KDE has KWin, XFCE has XFWM, LXDE has Openbox. DEs usually include extra programs, like the KDE suite, GNOME's Gedit and XFCE's Thunar.
You can take a WM and the programs you need and make something custom out of it pretty easily. The Holla Forums screenshot stuff usually uses a tiling window manager, like i3, Awesome or Xmonad. There are also more conventional ones, like Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM and Enlightenment. Some people make specialized WMs made to emulate older desktops, like Amiwm for Amiga or Windowmaker for NEXT. Download a fuckton and try them all out and you'll find one you like eventually.

Desktop environment (at its simplest) = window manager + a set of DE-specific programs, including a compositor in most DEs

The bare minimum required is a window manager. You can replace your entire DE with a window manager if you'd like. Some DEs will let you swap out their window manager for one of your own choice.

The vast majority of the time when someone runs just a window manager, they're running a tiling window manager. All of the ones listed work well, but I'd specifically recommend i3 because it's both easy to get used to and a joy to use.

Thanks guys

So after having typed all of that out, I'm just realising how good of an idea it sounds. I think I might finally have found a good use for my raspberry pi. If any anons try this out and get it to work, please update with details.

it says it will automatically boot mint and when the count is up it reboots. or it i skip the count it still reboots.

Why does this not work? Thanks!
1 #!/bin/bash 2 my_array($(ls); $(echo "This is an array")) 3 for i in $my_array; do; 4 echo $i 5 done

still doesn't work
1 #!/bin/bash 2 my_array=($(ls) $(echo "This is an array")) 3 for i in $my_array; do 4 echo $my_array[$i] 5 done 6 ~

Use

declare -a my_array
my_array=($(ls))
for i in ${my_array[@]};do
echo $i
done

I want put multiple "command" in the array.
my_array=($(ls), $(uptime))

Is this not possible?

Yes, but it will split on word boundary by default, you'll need to modify IFS to break on newline instead

I think I found another way
1 #!/bin/sh 2 l=$(ls /home/femo/Pictures/*.png) 3 p=$(ls /home/femo/Desktop/scripts/shell/) 4 x="$l $p" 5 for i in $x 6 do 7 echo $i 8 done

Just double check it works for files with spaces in the name, I know modern versions of ls will wrap files with spaces in 'single quotes' , but that wasn't always the case

Should I be worried?

Looking for a Program/Script that automatically delete and overwrite RAM at logout
I know bleachbit have something like this but I want it automated like how Tails does it but the Tails script is for Debian pretty sure

any alternatives

Um...what do I do?

Yes, it appears there's some form of weeb shit on your PC.

About what? Why would anyone ever need 16gb RAM ot an i7? I hope you're being productive with it and that it wasn't just mindless spending.

Its a Thinkpad w520, I think my CPU and Motherboard are too hot judging by fan noise.

Shut it down, gut it, dust it, and apply some thermal paste. Make sure you use a shitload.

Doesn't look so bad to me. Is that under load or idle?

idle
I don't have thermal paste on me at the moment but I do have a compressed air can. I realized I don't have the correct sized screwdriver to detach the keyboard to get at the the motherboard so until I find it I guess i'll have to wait.

I might be computer illiterate, but I know enough to not be retarded.

This seems to be the thread to ask:

What software is overall best for making animated gif's like pic related?

Any compositor should be able to do this. Kdenlive is good, I hear. You could probably do it with ffmpeg+imagemagick if you want to go full neckbeard

I'm using debian testing and gnome gave me this notification which told me that it wanted to update some programs & restart.
I was surprised since I usually update my shit via apt-get and according to this my system was up to date (there were some held back packages though, maybe those were the ones).

Anyway, I click install & restart on the popped up window and my system is rebooting and installing, but nothing happens after some time (pic related). It's been like this for hours.

I can still type shit, I tried to ctrl+c and ctrl+z, but nothing happens as well. I don't want to fuck my shit up, what do?

Inb4 use XFCE

Is there any good alternatives to youtube-dl?
when I try to download stuff it says this.

ERROR: Signature extraction failed: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py", line 479, in _decrypt_signature video_id, player_url, s File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py", line 356, in _extract_signature_function raise ExtractorError('Cannot identify player %r' % player_url)ExtractorError: Cannot identify player u's.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/player-en_US-vflrmwhUy/base.js'; please report this issue on yt-dl.org/bug . Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output. Make sure you are using the latest version; type youtube-dl -U to update.; please report this issue on yt-dl.org/bug . Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output. Make sure you are using the latest version; type youtube-dl -U to update.

when I enter the command to update it, it says this

It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.

but I installed youtube-dl in the Terminal

Delete the script and download the latest version.
It isn't that hard.

how?

My laptop only has a 256gb SSD, so I got a 2TB external HDD for backups of my root partition, as well as a new place for my /home partition.
I migrated my /home partition there yesterday and shrunk my original /home partition to 16GB on the laptop. and now mount it to /mobilehome.

Is there any way to conditionally detect if my external hard drive is mounted and switch current user's home folder from /mobilehome to /home and vice versa when the external hard drive is unplugged?

>>609699 most likely means remove the script via your package manager then go the developers website and follow the instructions posted there. Then when you need to update run it as sudo with the -U flag. Done.

answering my own question:
I just researched it a bit more and it looks like I can do it through triggering a script which uses usermod to change the directory whenever a udev event for the external HDD happens

I have done it but now how do I download videos as a .ogg file?

I'm trying to burn music onto CDs to play in my automobile, but when I insert the disc, absolutely nothing plays.
I've already tried mp3 and flac files. wat fuck do lol

if youron loonix (or a BSD) try k3b, its a nice graphical interface for all your cd burning needs

It's in the man page

I'm still trying to install libreboot but I'm retarded. I'm following this guide:
linuxjournal.com/content/libreboot-x60-part-ii-installation
and have already failed at the first step. Gotta reiterate that I'm retarded.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? This is a fresh install of Trisquel.

You're not in the right directory

I'm trying to install this game using pamac:
aur.archlinux.org/packages/daggerfall/
But I get this error(pic related). How do I fix this?

Obviously that's the issue, but since I am pants-on-head retarded, I'm unsure of how to navigate the directory. I've already tried, but I'm getting an output saying Downloads directory doesn't exist.

This must anger you to read this. Even I'm pissed at my ignorance, but I need to finish installing this by today.

have you tried doing everything as one command chain? Replace $file with the file in question.
[Code] cd ~Downloads && wget -c file-download-link && tar xvf $file && cd $file/ && bash ./configure && make && Sudo make install[/code]

Probably the wrong place to ask but you guys know what's up.

I want to produce open source hardware. How feasible is this, even it's just a small scale business? What degree would give me the greatest odds of success in this?

I haven't, but firstly I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong with accessing my directories. I want to use your script, but I can't afford to fuck this up, so I really want to keep to the guide I posted earlier.

All my script does is get you past the first step. cd changes the current working directory. If you want more details man cd.
EE (Electrical Engineering) probably would work best.

If it's a business you have to have customers. Think about the sort of person who would need open source hardware, and come up with a solution that would help them. If you're focusing on open source think about how your hardware being open source would give you a tangible advantage over the competition.
Take Olimex for example. They make OSHW SBCs and other electronic equipment. Their customers are people who want that equipment, and Olimex stuff is usually cheaper than the competition, or has some improvements. Their Arduino boards fix the alignment issues the Uno has, where one of the rows of header pins is just far enough where you can't slap a bit of veroboard on top and make your own shield. Their Lime A10 has the power of your average SBC but works at industrial grade temperatures. Their OSHW certification means that other companies can make kiosk computers, or 3D printers, and power them by Olimex products without having to license the tech.

As for a degree you would need electrical engineering or robotics, or something along those lines. Alternatively you could grab an arduino clone and take it up as a hobby, and work your way from there.

If you do want to get into everything yourself learn how to solder. You don't need to do it if you stick to breadboarding, but it's a good thing to learn for the more advanced stuff. A cheap soldering iron should do, but get one that lets you change the heat. Most solder comes with flux so unless you're doing something complex you don't need it. Get an electric solder sucker so you don't have to deal with removing old solder yourself.
For parts Aliexpress is good, but since everything there is Chinese it'll take a while to arrive. While Chinese stuff is usually lower quality their prices are great, and you shouldn't have any issues with buying small things like LEDs or capacitors. Be careful around brick and mortar stores, they can be expensive as fuck. £1 for a strip of header pins is an absolute ripoff.
For tutorials on building stuff look up a Youtube channel called the Ben Heck Show. The ads are annoying but the content is great, and he even has a proper soldering tutorial.

I'm getting the same exact message from your script.
No such file or directory.

When people suggest encryption, they tend to suggest encrypting the entire hard drive rather than only a portion of it. In this case, I am not given any option concerning that 2MB of free space. I don't know much about encryption, but would that 2MB of unencrypted free space pose any threat to the security of the rest of the encrypted drive? I'll be using the gnome disk utility to set up LUKS encryption by the way.

pretty sure that's your bootloader

you encrypt partitions, not the "drive"

There's always going to be a little space left over because of lolmath, it's fine. Just make sure you know what you're doing if youre encrypting an external HD(that's what it looks like), so you don't unplug it once and get stuck with an encrypted brick you cant unlock and have to wipe.

Does anyone know a decent open source video converter?

What is the output of, mkdir ~/Downloads?
ffmpeg but it will require some RTFM`ng.

So you'd say an EE degree isn't necessary credential?

Thanks user, capped

this link cms.elderscrolls.com/sites/default/files/tes/extras/DFInstall.zip doesn't even work. You should notify the maintainer.

Seriously, its a dos game. Why not download the game here uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files and install it through dosbox or wine.

I dunno if you still insist to install it through aur:

download the particular file here elderscrolls.com/assets/files/tes/extras/DFInstall.zip

then do md5sum 'that file name' in your terminal. Copy the checksum and replace the 1st line of checksum in pkgbuild.

First time overclocking, a bit worried about my motherboard temp. I set my CPU to +10%, and ran a torture test. CPU stabilized at 54C, but motherboard went up to 64C. Is this worth worrying about, and should I try to overclock a bit further? CPU is amd athlon II x2 240, mobo is m4a785-m. Power supply is 585 watts. Thanks. Pic mostly unrelated.

What's the best firefox plugin to block canvases?

I'm using CanvasBlocker, but it's designed like shit. It does a popup dialog every single time you go to a page that has canvas, it stops all tabs from loading if one of them has a canvas prompt, and you have to manually type the website to a whitelist or blacklist if you want it to do something by default.

Not really. Especially since you ran a torture test.
Move cables and stuff out of the way, dust off your mb and you're good.
If you are worried add a large casefan or replace the passive bridge stock coolers, but that's unncessary if your temps stay low during your daily routine.

Don't run too many extreme tests, btw. They are unrealistic and in the real world your CPU will never get that hot.

I'm using 8chanx, how do I have it go back to how normal Holla Forums works when you click on a link to an Holla Forums post? 8chanx just brings up a little window next to the post, it's annoying and makes the thread a mess.

How do I install Flash player on Debian?

Are you literally retarded? Search "debian flash" on google and the first result tells you how to do it

I did google it, now spoonfeed me howto install it nigga

#!/bin/bashcd ~/enigma-devjava -Djna.nosys=true -jar lateralgm.jar $1

So I have a small problem with the Enigma game engine here. The start.sh won't run, but it works fine, if I open a terminal, manually go to the enigma directory, and run that java line.

How do I use ffmpeg to make youtube videos into chan-size webms?

The java line in the script ends in $1, expecting an argument to the script which then gets passed to lateralgm.jar. Do you supply an argument to lateralgm.jar when you type it manually?

Yeah, I just cd into the directory and copy-paste that line. It's right in my home folder, so I don't imagine the directories location is the problem.

Odd. If you usually run the script from a GUI, have you tried from a terminal and watching for any output indicating an error?

Yeah, I've run it in a terminal already. it's just pops up for a sec and closes. In any case I guess it's not a big deal, and I might not even be using it much in the future, but it would have been good to understand what the problem is.

I granted it permission via properties and used chmod, but I still don't know what's wrong.

How about chown for good measure?

Hey Holla Forums I have a question that doesn't seem to be anywhere answered in the internet

I have a BBB in my home that is accepting SSL/HTTPS connections from anywhere and has a bogus static website with some content, internally though I use proxytunnel and sshld to connect through it to my SSH service, I use this at work to access my home network securely and through their 2 proxies that they have in place

at work I have windows 7 with putty forwarding X11 and a SOCKS proxy through the proxytunnel/ssh connection and I have firefox configured to use it when I want to access websites not allowed by the company or home services I have installed

No problems so far...
My question is: Does windows or any IT managing software log the connections being requested and the ports being opened on the SOCKS layer? How does this work exactly? Does the windows kernel has anything to do with the connection at all or is it just firefox->putty+proxytunnel->ssh->home_network->sshd->website and my privacy is protected

or does windows logs this info being requested somewhere
I've used wireshark to try and detect what is going through the network and I can't see anything at all at network level, just SSL/HTTPS gibberish to my home server just as any normal ssl site

Thank you for reading all this and all the knowledge you could share on this matter

I have the same problem, but with Windows 8.1.

It happened after my computer froze and it tried to do an HP system recovery on restart, and I don't really have any way to take care of this.

?

Is there any half-decent .txt list of free web proxies? I tried the first two results from Google, totaling 30k+ proxies, and they're shit. I've made this script to test the proxies:

#!/bin/bash# ./this LOGINUSERS PROXIES (>USERS)# logins with every user in the list with a different proxy for each user,# calls out praw scriptUSERS=$1PROXIES=$2# this LINE FILE# moves LINE to the end of FILEfunction move_to_end{ tmp=`tempfile` tmp2=`tempfile` head -n $1 $2 | tail -n 1 >$tmp sed -i "${1}d" $2 cat $2 $tmp >$tmp2 mv $tmp2 $2 rm $tmp}# this LABEL# gotofunction jumpto{ label=$1 cmd=$(sed -n "/$label:/{:a;n;p;ba};" $0 | grep -v ':$') eval "$cmd" exit}i=1for user in `cat $USERS`do echo "Processing user $user"tryagain: proxy=`head -n $i $PROXIES | tail -n 1` export http_proxy=$proxy export https_proxy=$proxy wget -q --tries=2 --timeout=4 --spider google.com if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]; then echo "Success, it seems! $proxy" #~/praw/downvote.py $user #sleep 60 i=$((i+1)) else echo "Failed!" # The proxy is not working, move it to the end of the list and try another move_to_end $i $PROXIES jumpto "tryagain" fidoneexport http_proxy=export https_proxy=

Perhaps my code is at fault? It seems correct. And yes, I'm using goto with bash. If you have any non-overcomplicated suggestions on how to avoid it I'm grateful.

I like to listen to music and play games at the same time so I got a splitter and a volume controller so I can have audio coming from my pc and consoles sent to one pair of headphones, the issue I'm having is when I turn the volume down from the volume controller connected to my consoles I start to hear a buzzing sound the lower the volume the louder the buzz, I tested a bunch of things and it only happens with the splitter plugged in. so my question is would replacing the splitter get rid of the buzzing noise? if not is there any other solutions to have audio playing from two sources with volume control independent from one another?

if it helps the splitter is two male ends one female end

What is the best browser to use, I installed Firefox and the shit functions but it's beefy and uses up a lot of memory.

glennmcc.org/arachne/

is half chan frozen or it's just me? anyone noticed? it's almost 1h.

In files, how do I make the side panel into a tree-type view?

I am using Debian 8.4.

That doesn't matter. What file manager are you using? If you don't know, what desktop environment are you using?

He's using GNOME and that is Nautilus.

You can't do that view in Nautilus as far as I'm aware.

Playing hevc with mpc, video stutters a little and at times audio desyncs slightly, is my pc too shitty or what?

seamonkey-project.org/

Menulibre is a fucking piece of garbage and it's broken.

There were a bunch of duplicate shortcut entries under the Wine category in my whisker menu, so to troubleshoot it I hid the Wine category and saved. Now it's hidden, but menulibre insists that it is not and there is no way to toggle it back.

So the question is are there menu editors that actually work? Or can someone point in the direction to edit this shit myself, because menulibre has completely fucking shut down on me for the last time.

Never mind. Alacarte works just fine. It brings in a couple of gnome dependencies, but at least it actually works.

Is there some sort of retard's guide to vim out there? It seems simple enough, but I'd like to pick up some basic skills in a real text editor ASAP

There's always vimtutor. It should come with Vim, and it explains things easily enough.

Ahh, that sounds good. I'm taking a course that uses C next term, and I want to be ready to jump right in.

what file manager should I use?

?

trying to learn lisp, what am i doing wrong here?

Which Lisp are you using? Format could be different for different variants.
Emacs Lisp should look something like this:
(format "Hello, %d!" name)
No idea about Common Lisp though.

sbcl common lisp

Off the top of my head: Nemo defintly has that as a option, as does Thunar. I belive that Cajia, pcfman have that option as well.
Have you tried adjusting the cache, hwdec use, framedrop? Also the other video options could help. What is your specs?

In that case:(format t "Hello, ~a!" name) should work. ~a is a placeholder for something that comes after the string.
(format t "~a is the first thing and ~a is the second" first second)
would replace the first ~a with the first value and the second one with the second value.

As to why your example isn't working, Lisp generally assumes that the first value in brackets is a command and the others are input values. In (format whatever) format is the command and everything else is information for it. The compiler is looking at ("hello, " name "!") and trying to find a function called "hello, ".
I haven't tested all this because I haven't used Lisp in ages, but it should still be correct enough.

this shit is horrible

Aegis Voat promises to remove the spyware from win 7,8 systems. Do you trust it Holla Forums?

OK, I'm fed up and I need some help with this.

I am on Arch Linux 64-bit with a SB Audigy 2, and I've just been struggling with JACK2. I've uninstalled PulseAudio but kept libpulse installed due to so many faggot packages requiring. I can get it running using the ALSA backend, and I've tried setting it up so that ALSA only applications (like Seamonkey, Wine, Steam shit yada yada) can fall back to that. BUT THE MOTHERFUCKER IS BARELY WORKING.

Let me explain my horrible experience with this:

Stuff setup to use JACK seems to have no problem at all. So I try the ALSA bridge method, so Seamonkey can have YT audio. But eventually after sometime, the audio will for a minute or three start being choppy and awful like an emulator gone wrong. Starting Wine, a Steam game, or even Audacity (because dumbshit won't recognize JACK) will pretty much kill JACK audio and use ALSA. What if you try to restart JACK? Oh well it decides to fuck out and you have to kill it via a task manager. This essentially happens in the message log:

ghostbin.com/paste/9sgz8

I tried Cadence off the AUR, just to make things easier, especially for the ALSA-bridging stuff, but the same shit still happened. In fact, the snd-aloop method in Cadence isn't even starting anymore. It just makes me miss OSS4 even more.

Does anyone know what I should do? Should I get the linux-rt kernel off AUR? Am I stuck to use ALSA by itself or PulseAudio? Should I just kill myself?

aah, i was under the impression that lisp thought of everything as a list, so ("a" "b" "c") would be valid

i want to be able to use it

If you're starting out with Lisp you might be better off with Racket. It's got it's own IDE, and a fuckton of tutorials. It's syntax is a bit easier, and it has a lot of interesting libraries. Look up How To Design Programs, or if you want a book try Realm of Racket.

Is nividia really the best card for linux, or is that all just propaganda.

How do I remove duplicates from python lists

by using python sets

Hey anons, I got Musicbee and am trying to use the latest version of the Oggencoder since my shit DAP doesn't support Opus. It looks like Musicbee doesn't like my encoding arguments, but I really do think they should be the same as the default one. Every time it fails to encode.

Does SRWare Iron offer any advantages over Iridium Browser?

So I want to install Cinelerra.
but in the instructions to install, it's saying to use "mkdir -p /opt/cinelerra" as a directory. But I don't want to use my system directory, rather an additional harddrive, do I do this via "mkdir -p /media/user/HardDrive/cinelerra" rather than the above line?

its not in my repos, and its about time i learned how to use emacs anyway

what libraries in particular?

could you point out what exactly the syntax of common lisp is? the tutorials dont seem to explicitly state it, but i was told lisps have a completely consistent syntax throughout.

Most distros don't have the latest version of Racket. Ubuntu-likes have a PPA with it, but other distros either stick to Racket 5 or don't package it. You'd have to get it from their website, but it's available as a binary.
Racket bundles a fuckton of extra stuff with it. There's htdp2, which is a drawing tool, Racket Web Server, which lets you make web pages in Lisp, Racklog, which brings in relational stuff from Prolog, and a few other weird things.

As far as syntax goes all Lisps follow the (command value value ...) structure. It's just that the syntax for each command is easier in Racket.;Defining a string(define hello "Hello, World");Defining a function that takes one value(define (greet x) (format "Hello, ~a!", x);aside from car and cdr there are more functions to make things easier(first '(1 2 3)) ; returns 1(second '(1 2 3)) ; returns 2(third '(1 2 3)) ; returns 3

If you want to see the difference use learnxinyminutes.com/, and compare the page on Racket with the pages on Scheme and Common Lisp. For more examples use rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code to see how to do a set task in different languages, so you can see the difference.

looks quite nice actually

is it worth learning over common lisp though, for employment purposes?

Is racket worth learning in free time when I already know C# and C++ fluently?

Lisp isn't commonly used in a work environment. If you do want a Lisp job though Common Lisp and Clojure are the most used. Skills learned from one Lisp are mostly transferrable to to others, so learning Racket can only help.

It's a very different type of language compared to C and C++. I'd say it's worth it to get a look at programming from a different perspective.

noted, common lisp it is then

how do i go about debugging a common lisp program? i still cant figure out what im doing wrong here

When you write code in Emacs, you should be able to put your cursor over the start of a function and C-x C-e. This works for Emacs Lisp, so it should be implemented in Slime. If it isn't it the answer should be similar at least.
For more advanced testing you could use a REPL, which is the terminal you're using. It's for quickly testing functions to see if they work the way you want, or for throwing values at a function you made to see if it breaks.
As for your code, you might find it easier to write Lisp code like this:(defun hello-world (name) ((dolist (item (list "hello" "world")) (format t item))))It's a convention to stick all the brackets together like that. It helps make them a bit easier to spot when using something that highlights brackets.
If I could guess it's that you have too many brackets. As an example, for a function named hi that returns "Hello World":hi -> returns the function itself, without executing it.(hi) -> executes the function, returns "Hello World"((hi)) -> ("Hello World") -> "Hello World" isn't a function so it can't be executed(defun hello-world (name) (dolist (item (list "hello" "world")) (format t item)))
The above might work, but I don't have a REPL to test it.

Whoops, forgot to reply

JUST

Are there any stable alternatives to OBS Studio on gentoo?

ffmpeg

I've hit some keys on my keyboard and now some programm is reading all sorts of shit aloud, like what volume I set my PC to or when I press Alt.
How do I turn it off?

You've enabled an accessibility setting for blind people. Find the accessibility options and turn off text-to-speech.

Thanks.
I just logged out and it said "Screen reader turned off" so I put that into the search bar and it gave me accessibility settings.
Finally, silence.

I just did a fresh install of Trisquel with LUKS encryption. If I were to to install Windows 7, would it completely ruin the encryption some way? Windows 7 will need some space , so I'd have to take it away from the encrypted part to make room, but I don't know if it will ruin the encryption for the section that it did not take from. No I do not expect for Windows 7 to be encrypted or secure in any way shape or form, just wondering if it is going to ruin Trisquel's security.

If you're using Trisquel or something alike
System Settings > Universal Access (blue man icon) > set Screen Reader switch to off (gray)

I think someone trolled you. That might be the worst one, but I'm not 100% sure. There is a video of Linus saying, "Fuck you Nvidia" while giving the middle finger

Kdenlive

there's a procedure how to shrink luks partition, look it up ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726724

Assuming Linux here.
If you want it simple and fast, kdenlive. it's still quite powerful with many. It follows the basic Video Editor logic. Just jump right in.

If you want to dive in deep and never look back, go Blender. If you are willing to fiddle with an unoptimized but well thought-through UI, Blender can do everything from 3D Animation to Lightroom and Video editing. You can technically do an entire movie in Blender, including CGI, greenscreening and color-grading. It's also available on any OS
Check out this guy
youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_4173738165&feature=iv&list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4&src_vid=xSGIPmQdV6M

If you want an abortion of an UI, the most unintuitive user experience ever, but apparently "DA MOAST POWAFUL VIDEO EDITOR EVAR!", go cinelerra.

And since I already gushed over Blender a bit:
Why haven't anyone ripped out the compositor- and Video-Editing component to create a video-studio without all the extranious 3D stuff and tighter UI?
Normally an open project like that attracts 50 billion forks within the first 2 weeks.

I'm using Perl, and I want to read a file line by line and store each line in an array, with a word for each value. In other words#INPUTmy $input = "Give me the salad";my @data;#OUTPUTsay $_ for @data # Contains "Give" "me" "the" "salad"
The problem is that if the input has something in quotes, I want to take the entire quoted thing as an input.#INPUTmy $input = "Give me the 'peppered steak'";my @data;#WHAT I WANTsay $_ for @data # Contains "Give" "me" "the" "'peppered steak'"#WHAT I GETsay $_ for @data # Contains "Give" "me" "the" "'peppered" "steak'"

How do I get the behaviour I want? I'm currently splitting it by running the /(\S+)/ regex on it and grabbing what matches, but there has to be a better way.

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Help

How do I post a picture?

Is there any good software for making animations (cartoons) that would respect my freedoms?

JS enabled: Drag and drop the image into the black circled area. Or click on the black circled area to bring up your OS's file picker and find it from there.
Blender, off the top of my head. So echoing

Possibly because the code may be harder than other programs to read?

My question is pretty simple, but I'm not sure it belongs here.
What internet browser do you guys use? I'm trying to un-pleb and I recently learned how amazingly shitty google is in general.

I'll piggyback on this. I'd like recommendations for a really light browser for an older netbook I'm tinkering on.

I'm trying to use a old crt tv as a second monitor. I got an adapter on amazon to go from HDMI to composite but it only puts stuff out at 16:9. The tv is 4:3 and if I use a resolution that's 4:3 it's shown as 16:9 with black bars on the side and then squished to fit on 4:3. I know this is probobly a janky way to deal with it but Is there a way to put out 480p stretched to 16:9 in the nvidia control panel so that it sorta preserves the aspect ratio.

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 and I want to know how I might go about changing the font used in the URL and bookmark bars.

I hate to be a total faggot, but there are songs (international) that I can't even find on services like soulseek that ARE available on youtube. My youtube downloader plugin hasn't been reliable for months (often giving 0kb files), it's now not in the walled garden that mozilla is building anyways, and all of the ones that are in the walled garden are even worse.

How the fuck do you download a youtube audio (video would be a bonus) these days without basically recording or capturing it again? What is the go-to these days?

Huge thanks if anybody will help me, I'm sure it would help others too, and help provide source materials for memes or whatnot.

To put more simply: How do I into download youtube audio/video directly, on every video not just the lesser priority ones, in June 2016?

youtube-dl

Sounds great but :"ERROR: Signature extraction failed: blah blah"

Don't install it with a package manager, you need the latest version for it to work properly.

What happened to needle pol? I can't seem to find it again.

Got it, thanks

thanks man, i didnt realise sexpressions worked like that

Pls help

If you drop the links I`l see if I can download them for you. Any format preference? Also depending on the type of block a DNS change might work in the future. However if it is "so and so has blocked this video on copyright grounds" then a proxy or VPN is the only way to get around it. Mullad has a three hours free trial I belive. Also there are free VPN`s out there as well. One that I used to use was this one that is apart of a newish VPN Protocol run by the same Japanese research group.

Should I get Windows 10? How bad is it,really?
I can't run a lot of games I want to on the OS I have right now.

You can try running it in VM with PCI passtrough for your GPU which can give you performance very close to bare metal.

Post your PC's hardware specs. I'm mostly interested in CPU and motherboard.

You can try running it in VM with PCI passtrough for your GPU which can give you performance very close to bare metal.

Post your PC's hardware specs. I'm mostly interested in CPU and motherboard.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT LET ME POST

What OS are you using? If it's Linux based WINE should cover most games, but it's far from perfect.
If you want Windows get 7. Use GWX Control Panel to stop it updating to 10, and turn off updates. If you're paranoid about your privacy and only play single player games don't connect it to the Internet.
As for Windows 10, all you gain are a few forced exclusives and DX12 support. It isn't worth it, and won't be worth it for years. There's a guy who posts loads of info against Windows 10 every time someone talks about it, hopefully he'll show up and dump his stuff on why it's bad. The general issues are that it leaks data over networks to Microsoft and when you try and turn some options off they get reenabled in future updates.

Why do all of the Linux distros that I try use not work? Either they fail to boot into a live environment, when installing them they crash, or they show corrupted artifacts on the screen?

I have 2 cards - hd5770 and gtx660. The amd one is weaker, but amd has better open source drivers. Given that I want to avoid proprietary drivers, which one should I use?

When you download an image double check it's MD5sum thing to make sure it's not corrupted. The website usually has a MD5 string, you just run an MD5 program on your download and if they match you have an uncorrupted image
Outside of that what hardware are you using? The corrupted artifacts sound like graphics driver issues.

This is a dumb question and hardly even related to /tech, but does anyone know how to put letters on a keyboard that makes it look genuine? Ass-hats online say to just use a fucking sharpie marker, but there's got to be a way better way.
I'm asking because I recently repainted a keyboard and wanted to put a custom font on the key caps, as well as a different size and colors.

Here's the pcpartpicker list I made for it a while ago. And I guess I'll have to check the MD5sum more often.
pcpartpicker.com/user/Mr.Eh/saved/q2bj4D

So I just checked the MD5 against one of the ISO files I was using and it was the correct MD5sum. Any ideas how it could only show a screen with graphics corruption but still a movable mouse icon (only other thing there).

All I can think of is it being something wrong with your graphics drivers, but I have a similar card R9 280X, based off the 7970 and everything works for me.
One possibility is that since you have an APU it's trying to use it's builtin graphics card instead of the PCI one. Look in the BIOS for something related to a default graphics card, or to disable the builtin one.

The built in one gets disabled if it doesn't have a cable connecting to it so it might have to do with my graphics card.

I have an email @cock.li which I read using mutt.

Is there a way to redirect all inbound emails matching a certain pattern in the "From" field to another email address?

For instance, how can I redirect all emails sent by "[email protected]/* */" to "[email protected]/* */"?

youtube.com/watch?v=felQfAL6HtM
youtube.com/watch?v=YWXddBa8qGw
the latest youtube-dl without any option.

Thinkpad X201, intel graphics, Xubuntu 16.04. Just finished updating.

Getting screen tearing when I move my mouse over videos (youtube), or to and from a second monitor. Default compositor is on. Tried turning it off but it didn't help.

I put this into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf but it still doesn't help:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Any ideas?

Quick question. I'm loading a live ISO from a Mac OS X terminal using sudo dd if=/path/to.ISO of=/dev/disk2 bs=4m. But how do I know the command is finished.

Check the man or info page for the command to get verbose output. It's usually -v or -verbose to get actual status output.

when it show the command prompt again.
you can also do
dd if=/path/to.ISO of=/dev/disk2 bs=4m && echo ALL DONE!
so that if warns you.

Thanks I figured it out. The flash drive automatically mounted itself when finished. The problem was that it wouldn't transfer if I left my computer and it went into sleep.

Thanks I figured it out. The flash drive automatically mounted itself when finished. The problem was that it wouldn't transfer if I left my computer and it went into sleep.

How would one get Artificial Acadamy 2 running on GNU/Linux?

Most USB hard drives I've seen have just been normal 2.5" or even 3.5" IDE or SATA drives that could be taken out or swapped with other drives. Are solid state drives like pic related like that too? Is it likely that I could install one internally?

Hey there /g/, I work for a small design firm and we're upgrading our computers on a budget. I'm wondering how well Crossfire scales in AutoCAD, I need as many FLOP/s as possible as cheap as possible and dual graphics and an r7 240 seems like a great price/performance combination.

TL;DR Does AutoCAD effectively use dual graphics?

cock.li's webmail has a pretty good filtering that can do that

you'll find it under Settings

I have an .mp4 that corrupted. The last 5 minutes or so sound like a Merzbow EP. Is there any way to recover? I know deep down the answer is no, but I gotta try, it's an important file.

check deleted files if you ever deleted it (unmount the partition first).

Here are my specs
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Basic 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz 45 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH77EB (CPU 1) 35 °C
Graphics
VA703-3Series ([email protected]/* */)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Windows 7 home basic 32 bit.
The thing is, any game worth having only runs on 64 bit, including ones 5 years old.
My drivers are good enough for 64 bit, I checked. So I need either 8.1 or 10 to run the games I want, according to a lot of game compatibility websites and a game itself. Metro 2033
So what do you suggest?

just fuck my shit up

If something works in 8 or 8.1 it should work in 7, unless it's a Metro app. The only compatibility thing I've seen is Fallout 3 not working on Windows 8+, but there's a workaround for that.
I'd go for 7, but 8.1 is fine too. If you want to replace 8's interface with something better look up Classic Shell. If you want to avoid Microsoft's "Upgrade to Windows 10" thing use GWX Control Panel. And avoid clicking the red X on the upgrade notification, because that means yes.
Also make sure you get a legit ISO. A lot of people put up prebotnetted ISOs on torrent sites, so unless you want some Russian guy stealing your passwords you're better off with official ISO files. DigitalRiver had official ones, and was supported by Microsoft, but they've taken them down. If you can find the MD5SUM of a DigitalRiver Win7 ISO you can match it with any you download to see if you have an untampered image.

JUST FUCK MY ENTIRE LIFE UP

holy shit lmao why does Microsoft want people to upgrade this much? They're not making any money from win 10's botnet shit, are they?

Information is money nowadays. Either they accumulate loads so that they can tell ad agencies they know how to target you or they make shitty startups that "Promise not to share your data" and then sell them off to the highest bidder, data and all.
There are sites that literally pay you to take surveys. They still jew the fuck out of you but if you filled in enough you could get a tiny trickle of money.

I agree with Windows 7 is the only real option. Here is a windows 7 Pro x64 iso that matches the official sha1sum along with a activation tool. If you want to check, see the wiki's page for Windows 7.
mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ
.iso, iso's sha256 (file intergity during uplmega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ

.iso, iso's sha256 (file intergity durin' upload/download) and activation tool. I soad/download) and activation tool.
I should be able to upload them some where soonish.

Here they are
youtube-vidoes-requested.7z my.mixtape.moe/wwnjtw.7z
sha256sum: ae758130e6b69cd178af1b57e14663ee51a339e47512a2bce2c730e27c24dc1f
password: is {pre-upload-file-name} which is the one on the left in case you were wondering.

My sister's laptop's wifi isn't working. Drivers are all there and updated, wifi is on, but no dice on any nearby networks.

What could it be?

Would AI ethics go in Holla Forums or Holla Forums?

Is there a reason to go pure64?

I'm going to install Funtoo and I don't know whether to go for the normal version or hardened, or maybe even pure64. Which one would you choose?

Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered.

Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered. Here's that spam you ordered.

What OS? Is it aftermarket NIC? Have you tried fully removing the current drivers, rebooting and trying from scratch? If that doesn't work, reinstall the OS and all drivers.
I would defintly say Holla Forums is seeing as AI defintly within this domain. Also in the grand scheme of things ethics is personally focused rather than politically focused.

I keep getting random BSOD about things, the windows 7 install is fairly new

How can I fix this fucking things?

How old is the hardware/setup? Has thermal paste for the CPU and to a lesser extent the GPU been reapplied since? Is the CPU,GPU and or RAM overclocked? How much clearence is there for fans (CPU and case)? Have the fans been cleaned recently? Was this a clean install or a upgrade?

Clean install
Just 4.2, the temps seem alright but I never replaced the paste
No RAM OC
Everything is clean

Has was previous Windows 7 install stable? Have you done a AV scan if this system is connected? Has the BIOS been updated?

Nope, that is why I did a clean install
I installed some ruskie mod version of the bios, should I return to the official one?

That I could potentially be the cause. It must be nice to know that it is a option rather than being high and dry after the manafactuer stops caring (or it could just be that it is considered stable enough).

that's some new age post formatting

It personally I think it is cleaner looking and is better than having a wasted new line. You are the actually first to notice this or at least comment on it, if memory serves.
Most likely but good luck getting to it. Some external drives make it very hard to almost impossible to get to the internal HDD. This was a problem when the 1 TiB Segate HDD died out of the blue taking about 300 GiB of useful data. Lesson learned never buy Segate.
If you meant in a some what natively way, Wine. Another option is it use a VM.
Libre or none free drivers? Arch`s wiki page should be able to help.
You seemed to have answered your own question.

I find to Qupzilla to be pretty good.

Can I run newer games with W7 x64?
Because most System Requirement sites recommend newer versions for newer games

I hate to cop out like this but it really depends on the game as some are only configured to work on 8.* +, mainly 10 so far as it would be beyond stupid to cut out the large portion of people still on 7. Those games are rare though and some times the amazing mod community is able to make that game work for other OS versions, e.g Manhunt 1 (XP/Vista to 7) and Halo 2 (Vista to XP/7).

I just restored the "official" bios firmware and added 0.005v to the OC since even at 4.2 its lower than "base" v (1.230 and I'm using 1.2) I hope the BSOD stay away

is the password »youtube-vidoes-requested.7z«? it tells me wrong password.

I just installed linux mint after i got fed up with windows 10 crashing. Does anyone know a thread downloader i can use to expand my massive 1 TB pornfolder?

recomendations of good and cheap vps?
"4gb ram 40gb storage"

Is there some kind of "streaming" torrent downloader that makes sure to download the first part of the file first, so I can watch my animu while it's downloading?

Regarding screen tearing, I tried both proprietary and free with the same xorg.conf file. Arch wiki says to put the same shit in the file but refers to it as "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf" instead.

wget read the manual on how to do it :^)

Never had any problems with this one:
edis.at/en/server/linux-vps-solusvm-openvz/zurich/

qbittorrent can do that

Never tried it, was shilled too much, but I guess I have a legitimate reason to do so now.

Upgrading to 4.6 fixed the problem. Now unfortunately tp-smapi-dkms 0.41-1 is crashing on start-up because it doesn't seem to support 4.6.

After it crashed on start, I tried to re-install it after purging and got this shit when it began to build module:

make KERNELRELEASE=4.6.0-040600-generic -C /lib/modules/4.6.0-040600-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/tp-smapi/0.41/build....(bad exit status: 2)ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.6.0-040600-generic is not supportedError! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.6.0-040600-generic (x86_64)Consult /var/lib/dkms/tp-smapi/0.41/build/make.log for more information.

JUST

Found 0.42 binary on launchpad. #JUSTWERKS

Linux mint guy again, Pianobar keeps giving me an error that reads "Login... Network error: TLS fingerprint mismatch."

I have an android running 5.1 with a whole lot of contacts missing (not on sim or google account), however when I use software to recover the contacts, it shows that the contacts are on the phone but are unlisted (not under the category "My contacts") any suggestions?

Protip: If you'd have looked on the pianobar github, you'd see that this is a reported issue with a fix. I'll spoonfeed you this time though

Either update pianobar to the github version, or manually edit this config ~/.config/pianobar/config to say
tls_fingerprint = 13CC51AC0C31CD96C55015C76914360F7AC41A00

the {around the file name} is required. I don't think it is possible to use >>,

Help please, I need to create a batch file that opens my folder with pre filled text (youtube-dl.exe) e.g - "C:\Users\admin\desktop\myfolder > youtube-dl.exe" Is it possible only in loonix?

No it isn't possible only with Linux. Remove the > and your script should work after you put a $url at the end. It is certianly easier to script in Linux mainly because the man page is right there.

Only one set of {} is required around the archive name. I would suggest that you copy the archive name then place a { paste the clipboard then place a } and it should then open.

Hey, can anyone help me? I'm trying to get Elementary OS running on a mac, but after installation it doesn't boot. I'm on the livecd right now. I'm doing single boot, not dual boot.

I was able to boot Mint from my USB. Now when I'm installing it while keeping Windows OS, I don't know how to partition it. Can someone tell me where to put my forward slashes so I can be done with it?

First I would like to point out that Linux uses the opposite slash to Windows when pointing to directories.
I if my memory serves me right there is a option to manually partiton your drive when it asks you where to install. It should bring up Gparted or similar and just use that. That way there is less chance of deleting the MBR or a wrong partiton.
I would seriously suggest having at the minimum a separate partition for / (root) and /home (user config and data) with a separate drive if at all possible. It will give you piece of mind knowing that if your OS corrupts your data is likely safe and that you can just reinstall it, with your data/setting intact.

What was the late-90s / early-00s equivalent to Holla Forums, in terms of content? If an Holla Forums user were sent back in time roughly 15 years, where would his shitposting be indistinguishable from anyone else's?

Are you really this desperate for a response?
Just stop using 8chanX and go on with your life

What version of Firefox, what version of 8chanX?

Wrong thread.

thank you!

PeerBlock went jew mode. What are some good alternatives?

I want to use a board's custom theme on all boards I browse, how do I go about doing this?

Peerblock does nothing useful. Your IP is visible to anyone in the swarm regardless of peerblock being installed.

I'm trying to install Debian but I get problems when it comes to the disks detection. It asks me to select the disk I want to partition and the only options I have available are the USB stick on which the installer is on or any other inserted USB sticks.

How do I concatenate a string and integer without converting the int to a string in python?

don't know where the second part of the post ended. both drivers of my computer are in /dev/ as sda and sdb and fdisk -l lists sda1 as a device. So what could be the problem?

It seems there are some really small ants living inside my notebook... how can i deal with them?

newest

just tell me how to fix this pls

Firefox 47 and Pashe's 8chanX 2 Pure?

I'm trying to concatenate two files together with ffmpeg. However, ffmpeg says there is no such file or directory, referring to the first media file listed. When I try to move the actual file to the place the list specifies, mv says it's the same file. Wat do?

Often times you can simply type:
cat file_1 file_2 > new_file

yes

how would i go about ripping the music from an old game (ie NES,SNES,Genesis etc)? i already have the ROMS and would prefer to get the files straight from the source instead of downloading the songs ive already downloaded again from youtube.

thucydides.info/docs/thucydides/_running_thucydides_tests_from_the_command_line.html

wtf is this software? stumbled across this manual while looking up shit about the actual thucydides, but i couldnt find any description of what the program actually is

If you disable 8chanX, does it go away?

If you disable all your addons except for Greasemonkey, and all your userscripts except for 8chanX, does it persist?

What the fuck does the new grab button do?

I don't see it. Maybe you accidentally enabled javascript?

I'm running Xubuntu 16.04, the sound settings completely disappeared from both the settings panel and the system tray, the only "solution" I've found is installing xfce4-mixer but it won't compile because "missing X package", and obviously I can't build said needed packages from source because god knows why.

What can I do? Is there a command to reinstall xfce as a whole, or do I need to reinstall only the sound settings?

I remember seeing something like that a while back some place else I`l go check again soonish.

What is both the major and minor differences between the governers in pic. Will anyone of them have any significal (positive perfered) effect on the battery life of a stock LG G3, hopefully without causing it to get hung up at times?
Can someone please answer this?
The only really effective solution quick and effective solution would probably be to reinstall the OS seeing as you can't reinstall xfce4-mixer and you probably can`t remove xfce easily as some matainters make the default display environment a dependency of the kernel or other such core parts which will require you to remove and reinstall before rebooting if you want a functioning system later.

Are there any WhatsApp alternatives that let me send messages to people who are using WhatsApp?

Install Debian

you select a post and click grab to take a screengrab of that post, it is a new feature by McRonald the cuckmonkey.

I have a few OS related questions.

I want to use both Windows and Linux on my desktop. Windows will be used mainly for gaming and stuff that doesn't work well on Linux.

I don't have much experience with Linux . I used Mint on my laptop but after their security blunder I decided to switch to Ubuntu.

Unfortunately Ubuntu isn't working out for me, stability issues are killing me. I played with Debian a little but lacked the motivation to learn it at the time. Are there any interesting distros for beginners or should I just bite the bullet and go with Debian (with KDE).

I have a 128GB SSD, 1,5TB HDD and 2TB HDD. Windows will go on the SSD, games, programs on the 1,5TB and media on the 2TB.

Should I install Linux on the SSD? Is it worth it or should I just install it on the 1,5TB HDD.

My desktop specs are in the pic.

"stability issues" is extremely vague, so I'm gonna assume the DE is the source of that and recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu. (if you want KDE then Kubuntu).

If you want a simple Arch-based system, Manjaro looks pretty good. Arch-based systems have more up-to-date packages and solid documentation. Plus pacman is amazing.

I set up a usb drive with kubuntu on it intending to install it, instead it just boots off of it... I used unetbootin to create the usb following the installation tutorial on the userbase.

Hey Holla Forums I am at a loss here, so I figured I might as well ask you guys for help. I will try and be as specific as possible with my post.
I am trying to install winXP a samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gygabite hardrive. I am using an asus motherboard and an I5 core processor. I have my hardrived partitioned with one already having Linux Mint installed, and I want to install XP on the other. However I keep getting errors saying something like the hardrive or drivers are not recognized. I did some searching and it seems XP has some trouble being installed on some AHCI enabled systems. I looked around and one person was able to fix this by going into the BIOS screen and changing one setting from AHCI to EDI. However I can only change from AHCI to RAID in my BIOS. Am I doing something wrong, I have been trying to install this for awhile and have had no luck. Thanks for the help in advance

pls help. I'm trying to install Debian but when I get asked which disk do I want to partition, the two drives of my computer don't figure under the options, only USB sticks are present.

Could this be due to the Windows installation that is still on the drives? would dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda be the right way to remove it? btw does dd accept more than one output?

iTunes on Debian

How does one do it? I've tried for a long time.

Why do you need iTunes?

So I can put songs on my iPhone

And you can't just copy them over with a file manager? Have you tried WINE?

Photos, backups, all that shit has to be done through iTunes.

I've tried Wine, but it's not compatible with it. If I'm correct, Wine in Windows XP which iTunes isn't compatible with either.

Try making a Windows VM in VirtualBox and using VBox's USB passthrough thing.
help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB

MSI afterburner

Usenet
Something Awful
A BBS
An IRC channel
I'm sure there are other places that wouldn't mind Holla Forums users, but I can't think of any.

no
but i want to keep 8chanx

I'm retarded, why can't I install GNU Netcat? How do I fix this?

install perl?

Looking for a Windows 8 torrent that has been modified for privacy (no mandatory upgrading and shit). Anything like that floating around right now?

Probably not, but there is a program to disable the auto updates and auto win 10 udpates

Okay so anyone know how to remove these bloody suggestion's every time i search for an application?

One more question, how do i add like a bar on the lock screen that tells me what song is playing, and a button to skip/pause/play etc.

I'm sick of having to log in everytime i want to change a song.

I'm having a strange problem with my Libreboot X200. If I turn it on from cold (30+ minutes-ish since turning it on) the screen backlight illuminates, but the screen stays mostly black, excpet for faint white halos in a grid pattern. I can type my GRUB password and decryption passphrase blind, different (but faint) garbage shows up as I go through this, until I get to my OS and start X. A bit into the DE loading suddenly it all appears normal and it stays happy until leaving it off for a while. I can even turn it off and then on again a few minutes later.

Not sure if the VGA output has the same problem, I'll test once I can get a monitor. Any idea what could be causing this? Hopefully it's just the screen, if it's the graphics I'll have to track down a spare unit. In that case, has anyone got experience with Libreboot and the X200 Tablet? I'm tempted to try one of those if I can.

That might work, it sorta did for my old Zune, but really it'd be way better to ditch your iThing and get a less horrid phone.

Do you get any sort of error message? If they don't show up at all that's particularly odd, and you probably can't even see the block device.

Also that dd command will overwrite the entire drive, whether it's the right one is a different story, CHECK WHAT /dev/sda ACTUALLY IS. fdisk should tell you the size at least. Also if you just need to trash the MBR you may as well use /dev/zero and specify a bs=512 count=1000 or something so it only goes through the start.

That's actually similar to Linux.
Always high freq.
Can switch to high freq under load, normally uses a lower one.
Low freq, might allow it to go a bit higher
Low freq
Not actually sure.

Also you can customize min/max freq for some of the governors like ondemand.

I had this problem for a bit. Clean the exterior of any potential food debris. Compressed air the interior while outside as much as possible. Afterwards, run something for hours which will get the internal temperature of the case really, really hot. They will either be removed or die/leave from the above.

Also, I need a new video card and I hate shopping for these damn things. What the fuck is decent today around $300? I would wait but mine is croaking.

I'm using ublock origin and I want to figure something out.

On some sites there's a banner complaining that I use an adblocker. I can remove this by selecting 'block element' in ublock, which then works for that page, e.g a user's profile page. When I open another page on the same site however such the profile of another user, the banner is back again.
Is there a way to block such a banner across the entire site?

Gallery on Android keeps crashing when opened. I cleared data. It worked fine yesterday, wat do?

What is this [Grab] thing all about?

Good News Reader for Android?

I was thinking about Russia Today, is there any better app?

how would i go about ripping the music from an old game (ie NES,SNES,Genesis etc)? i already have the ROMS and would prefer to get the files straight from the source instead of downloading the songs ive already downloaded again from youtube

It really depends on what console you're trying to rip music from m8, playing the raw rips shouldn't be an issue though since VLC is able to play back a lot of console sound formats like from the SNES for example

Click the check box next to one or more posts and then click grab and it'll save them to an image so you don't have to screenshot them yourself.

Wat do?

has anyone here made a tablet from an SBC? Specifically the BBB. I'd like to use it as a multimedia center and an e-reader since I'm selling my kindle

Have you tried running it with sudo?
E.g. sudo apt-get install i3-wm

Nevermind, I'm retarded, forgot that su makes you root

My brother got a new laptop and I'm trying to install W7 on it from a USB stick. It only has USB 3.0 so it stops straight away saying that a driver is missing. What can I do?

The error message says "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing". I think it's something to do with new laptops?

YOU QUOTED THE WRONG GUY, BUB

I want to throw out my 670 and use the onboard chip on my 2600k. I don't game anymore, so I don't care.

Question is what would happen, if I simply change it in the bios and cut the power supply to the card and boot into debian testing. Would it run out of the box or would I have to install some drivers first and is the onboard chip fast enough for internet use only (watching youtube, streams)?

yes but how do i aquire the raw rips?

How do you convert a bit of a youtube vid into a webm?

Im having a bit of trouble lurking for tutorials.

And thank you very much Holla Forums!

Presuming you have already cut out the bit of video you wanted: ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -c:v vp9 -c:a opus video.webmReplace video.mp4 with your youtube video and vp9 and opus with whichever codecs you want.

Im sorry user, but i am new here and i have no idea what any of that means. I am not a codemonkey.

A step by step guide would be good though.
Or maybe even quite a bit more detail into what you told me.

Okay, I remember a fucking decade ago, I had a memory stick get its shit fucked up, it kept saying it needed to be formatted and shit. I used some software that allowed me to view the entire contents of the drive as a binary, so I could fuck around with the file table and stuff in hexa.

Well now I got yet another drive fucked up the same way, I can't remember the name of the software and googling only brings up retarded shit.

Anyone knows software like I that?

That is the step to step guide. Type that command into your terminal, replacing video.mp4 with the name of the bit of youtube video you want turned into a webm and you should be good.

It can't hurt to reduce the chance of things messing up espically if you use the none free drivers. The free drivers of both camps that it don`t use didn't effect anything when I had them installed or removed them.
Yes, any CPU form about a Core 2 Duo (Older CPU many need JS to be disabled) should be way more than enough.

A hex editor?

Not him, but:

ffmpeg (the program to run. ffmpeg is a program used for reading/writing/transcoding video and audio, you should install this if you don't already have it, most video players will have already required and included it)

-i video.mp4 (sets the input filename for ffmpeg to read from)

-c:v vp9 (sets ffmpeg to output using the vp9 video codec)

-c:a opus (sets ffmpeg to output using the opus audio codec)

video.webm (sets the output filename for ffmpeg to write to)

You can read up more about ffmpeg on the man page (man ffmpeg). It's a very powerful machine.

stupid question
Why can't a HD 7790 in a computer perform as well as the one in an XBone?

Bumping my question

thanks for the answer. I wanted to use free drivers. I know that Intel has a open source community, but I wanted to get them from the official debian repos.

I could only find this, which was already installed:
packages.debian.org/stretch/xserver-xorg-video-intel

But it says Intel i8xx and i9xx, which would be 1st generation only. Will these still work on sandy bridge? I tried searching a little bit and could find people with 4th generation using this package. Is the package description maybe wrong?

I bought a mint condition memepad X60 with no lenovo branding on it.

I think I might want to install libre boot and go full freetard. Which OS is it easiest to install on? Is it easy to install other operating systems afterwards?

Also, since I'm in this thread:

One word, Optimisation. Seeing as there a set hardware with the option to work on the bare metal, hopefully it can performed the best that the game can given the above. That said I have played some PS3 games where the developers obviously didn't really give a shit (they may have slightly improved things with patches but I wouldn't know) . With a PC there is a unlimited number of possible configs, most parts are made to standards which mean that they are interchangble and all support a base level, GPU drivers have to support a wide variety of cards and RAM is separate between GPU and the rest of the system rather than a shared pool.

They should still work as Intel only releases on GPU driver which is libre so I don't see why it shouldn't work.
According to the libreboot website (links are earlier ITT), anything libre will able to be installed while non free OS`a won't be able to.
Personally I would go with void because Runit is super fast and lightweight, it is a rolling release distro. Both of them don't currently have a libre kernel available I belive, that shouldn't really effect any thing really.

Yeah, I had the same inclination towards void for those reasons.
This is way out of my league, but how would one compile a libre kernel?
Which operating systems have a libre kernel?

I need that how2webm infographic. Because I want to webm.

Is it possible for one to install a graphics card into a system that already has a integrated GPU?

My friend asked for my help and emailed me his speccy information with the important bits being
The fool told me he bought a package deal called the HP Envy, which of course I cannot fucking find on the store to solidify my assumptions, so do I just tell my friend he's fucked if he wants to upgrade and walk him through how to pick his own parts if he wants an upgrade?

alright, I will switch to intel graphics now and just see what happens.

Another thing: I don't really want to pull out my 670, I would just unplug the power connection to the PSU. I know that the pci slot itself can provide up to 75w or something like that, but the card itself should not be running if I switch to intel integrated gpu and unplug the power connection, right?

I'm not very good at CSS. How do I make a 1x1 fake dead pixel on Holla Forums?

It's for a board theme.

It's really easy.

I know. I suck that bad.

You could learn the bare basics of CSS in a couple of hours. Also, why the dead pixel? Just make it a spider gif crawling on the screen.

Switched to intel graphics, everything seems to work nicely. screenfetch says "Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop".
I unplugged the psu connection and the 670 isn't running anymore (the fans are not working, which was my main goal -> they were too fucking loud - even at the lowest rpm count), but the card itself seems not to be completely shut off -> I can see some red light. Can I just leave it that way? I can't be arsed to remove it physically, maybe I will need it again in the future.

I would like to know any possible way of getting a cable internet ISP to change my IP address? I've run into this problem previously with Time Warner Cable, now with Charter, where the tech support says it's impossible. Part of me thinks it's possible but they have a policy of not doing it, for whatever reason. It never seems to change in natural course, and I don't like being on the same IP address for years and years. I noticed that e-mail headers log the sender's IP address, and that seems like something you'd want to change periodically as with passwords or your reddit tripcode. I tried powering off the modem for a couple days on a few occasions, which I read in a FAQ is something that might cause it to change, but it always comes back with the same IP address.

I was thinking about canceling the service and then resuming it, to see if that would trigger an IP address change, but don't want to go to the trouble if it's not going to work. (Maybe I should just call and threaten to cancel my service?)

this seems like a really good way to (((((curate))))) threads

I was planing on seeing if I can setup a libre kernel with one of the patches applied for Void. However in the mean time the distro that come with libre kernels by default are the FSF appovied ones, there is a list on there website.
the easiest way would probably to use . So create your video in another fromat then use ffmpeg to convert it. Also another option was also using ffmpeg to add sound to a picture, as a quick and dirty way to create a webm.
Yes there shouldn`t really be a problem as long as your friend install the GPU`s drivers. Also the FX doesn't have an integrated GPU I belive only the APU`s which have a dual graphics list.
It will most likely be fine. The red light is just the card telling you yhat it is drawing the bare minimum amount of power to keep it running seeing as it is still attached to the PCIE lane. Also your friend already has a external GPU in there, the 2048 GiB Radeom.
Like most things if life if unshure , blackmail/threatern/ make then underestimate you.

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 due to NTOSKernel.sys becoming corrupted. I had some strange issues while gaming where the CPU was being pegged hard, despite it being pretty okay before the reinstall. Today I redid the thermal paste on the CPU but now my temps are through the roof and CPU usage is at 100% constantly.

Did I somehow break my heatsink or not apply enough thermal paste?

PC just overheated

I was looking at my cpu tp make sure no dust got in there and foud some kind of metal flake on my heatsink on the part that rests on the cpu. Gunna resit akd see what happens.

It's working at least as well as before the OS corruption, so I think I'm good.

xmedia recode is a GUI for ffmpeg if binary triggers you

I can't open it with a hex editor since it's not a file.

I want to do a fresh install of windows 7 on my pc because of issues.
Is there a program that can backup all my non-windows shit so i don't have to spend the next week getting it back to how it was?

Is there a good alternative to KMSpico to get rid of the "Activate Windows Go to Settings to Activate Windows" watermark on Windows 10? Tried KMSpico and not only did it not work it gave me a fuckton of viruses even after deselecting all the programs in the wizard.

Guise ples

There were some manafacutre software and this program by the developers of one pf those "all in one" optiomisers who game boster portion got merged with or cloned full out by Razer. The name escapes me currently. The better and likely to be more reliable manual method would be to copy the folders yourself. What you are looking for is likely under the Program data directory under C:/username.
Why use Windows 10, when off the top of my head: Windows 7 is easier to find, has sha1sum`s available, the cracking tool always works on the iso`s that have sha1sum`s (but won't work on updated OS`s so crack then update), a "SP" 2 has been released, the interface isn't half bad, it is easy to customise a install CD to your needs with RT7 Lite.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdbPresuming, of course, that sdb is the drive you want to wipe.

This, but I prefer using pv instead. dd is more useful when the seeking, blocksize, or count options come into play.

pv /dev/zero > /dev/sdb

pv finds the size of /dev/sdb and uses it to compute an ETA and display a progress bar.

Sudo won't work for this invocation because the access to /dev/sdb is what needs root.

faggot:~$ sudo -i
root:~# pv /dev/zero > /dev/sdb

Doesn't dd have an option for a progress bar?
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. I know access to /dev/sdb requires root, but why wouldn't sudo theoretically work?

Not to my knowledge, but you can send it SIGUSR1 or something like that to make it print out its current progress.

Say I do something like this:

fucker:~$ sudo echo "shitter" > /etc/hostname

Only the echo command actually gets run as root, the piping to /etc/hostname is done by your shell which is not root, and thus gets rejected.

Ah. I see.

Recent dd builds have the status flag which does have a progress sub option that out puts the write speed, GB vs GiB (or the other way round) and time currently taken.

or you can start dd, and then
sudo pkill -USR1 dd
The USR1 flag causes it to output its progress

help me.

I have two computer screens with VGA cables. Both are relatively new LCDs.
My graphics card has two HDMI sockets, one DVI-I and one DVI-D socket.
Can I simply but a VGA-to-DVI-D adapter to connect the second screen, or will I have to do some magic with active converters, or other stuff that the internet is telling me about?

Aren't bootloaders such fun?

Of course not, I hate them too. If you're technical, give these a read:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Dual-booting

Why are all C/C++ build systems shit?

Literally plug it in with a converter if needed and see if it works.

Such as?

The fuck does this mean?
All I want to do is change the clock from a 24 hour clock to a 12 hour clock

You've omitted the important part of that picture.

Here's the man page you need to look at: man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/strftime.3.html

If you still can't figure it out after reading the man page, I'll spoonfeed you

How do I sort a directory full of videos downloaded from youtube? They are labelled in numerical order and I want to sort them so if I do mpv * it'll play them in order.

How are the filenames structured? If they are "1 video.mp4" "2 video.mp4" etc. then expansion with * should play them in order, until you get to 10 videos. Is that the issue?

The issue is that there are about 70 videos and they have random characters at the end. Have you ever downloaded videos with youtube-dl?

Frequently, yes. Does this work?
ls | sort -n | tr "\n" "\0" | xargs -0 mpv

Oh shit I misread your original question.
won't make it so that "mpv *" plays them in order, but that command itself will play them in order.

Thanks for the command, but I'm looking for a way to sort them and label them so that they play like that. (By the way, that command did play videos number 7, 8 and 9 at the end. Any reason?)

Thanks m80.

So all I had to do was change it from an uppercase R to a lowercase, thanks mang

TFW windowsfag

I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Try booting into a GNU/Linux Live CD/USB and wiping the drive from there.

whats rufus for loonix that won't break my usb?

I'm back again.
So after using my desktop with the intel onboard gpu, I keep getting black screens after a couple of hours. My shit is still running, I just can't see anything. The screen appears again after a moment, but as time goes on the screen goes missing more often. Finally it doesn't come back anymore and I had to shut down my pc.

Does anyone has an idea what the issue could be? I was using my 670 before and everything was working fine. I checked the temperatures on my cpu, they are perfectly normal.

Mabye these links may be of use? Here are the links that I was talking about in , they are for the PS2/PSX though.
PSX/PS2 gamingforce.org/forums/behind-music/3832-how-rip-music-sound-effects-movies-ps1-ps2-games.html youtube.com/watch?v=gGw85lwi1NM
To be more specific though.
SNES epforums.org/showthread.php?16647-Ripping-Music-\ From-SNES-ROMs
chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=756.0
NES ngemu.com/threads/how-to-extract-music-from-nes-roms.48638/
forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=3516
Genesis 1emulation.com/forums/topic/24657-ripping-music-from-a-sega-genesismegadrive-rom/ youtube.com/watch?v=Nh1YIrPz1iA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I have three fields of

1.should I install i2p from my package manager?
Is it best to just go with the java implementation?

2. Does ipfs seem to hang for some people? Somethings don't seem to download at all...

3. On a completely unrelated note, what's the best way to get good at writing with javascript?
For some reason, I feel as if I can do shit in C, python, or java easier than I do with javascript.
Part of me thinks I just need more experience writing with javascript.
It could also be due to the fact that a lot of the shit I do with javascript deals with events, which are weird to me.
I had a moment when the first thing I did was copy paste something from stack overflow and I felt like complete shit

I updated my Debian 8.4 and now my Iceweasel Browser has turned in to "Firefox ESR".

What happened?

Debian and Firefox stopped their autistic fight and Debian stopped rebranding Firefox. It seems like they did it with the update of Firefox ESR 38 to Firefox ESR 44.

1. Only use the package manager if you get the newest version of i2p. The java implementation is the most mature, the c++ implementation wasn't stable the last time I checked.

2. Remember that you download stuff from other people with ipfs.

You could create a new mode manually with 144 as framerate.

wew

;_;

Use dd. Runman ddfor further explanation.

Try working with wildcards.

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax

Bumping this.

is there any way to get past this? I just want to fucking follow shit on youtube but they wont let me
what would the security and privacy situation be if I bought a new sim card to use once only? is that a thing

I wanted to create a youtube account as well but it is impossible to bypass the phone thing so jewgle can track you.

What's a good method to install Win XP to a partition when the primary OS is Debian?

Holla Forums I can't get into Holla Forums anyone without using TOR or a proxy site to get in. I could get into the homepage of the site but when I click on a thread on any board it takes forever just for one page to load. It get stuck on connecting.. when loading a thread, I'm using a VPN like always and I can go through any other site fast on my normal browser but Holla Forums won't load.

Just resize the Debian partitions, create a new partition for Windows XP and install it onto that. You may have to re-install GRUB. Check the Arch Wiki for more details.

Keep a note somewhere of what youtubers you want to follow.
It's not like youtube actually tells you when they release new videos, due to the way shit's fucked currently.

how to get win7 free?

selling old laptop

Torrent the iso. Another user can provide the link.

Anyone?

Check if it's a setting in the software center.

Use kat.cr nigger

How do I sort a directory full of videos downloaded from youtube? They are labelled in numerical order and I want to sort them so if I do mpv * it'll play them in order.

Why can't my x60t get wifi? Flipped the hardware switch on, and used fn-f5 to flip the software switch on. There's plenty of available connections but it won't pick any of them up

what's with all the disinfo on the installgentoo 8ch page?

if two cpus are the same sans one has higher multiplier than the other and the other, instead has faster bus speed(but both having the same clock speed, cache, etc) which one would be better?

wake me up

Doing a clean wipe on my desktop.
Thinking about using 64-bit XP but I heard it's really unstable.
Can anyone give me a tl;dr on a 64-bit XP?

I like 24 inch or smaller monitors. Would going 2k resolution be a waste of money at that size?

It's Windows, did you really expect stability?
I have no idea why 64-bit XP in particular would be unstable, though Microsoft could definitely find a way to fuck it up.

Why the hell would you use XP? It's now almost 15 years old, making it incredibly outdated. I can't think of any reasons to use XP instead of 7, except for compatibility with XP software.

Is it possible to do something in Nemo so that when you open a folder it opens a video with subtitles loaded, etc?

I want to make it so I click on a folder and it works like an exe, opening VLC, automatically loading subtitles.

How do I permanently save pulseaudio balance settings? I have to change it every boot; my earphone's volume is lower on the right ear.

Usually pulseaudio should do it for you big guy automatically, if you change the volume in your panel or with pavucontrol. It seems like a bug. If you search for the problem, it seems like it's a common bug, where you have to reset the settings by deleting some files.

Another solution would be to get rid of pulseaudio. It's made by the same guy that brought us systemd. But you have to be comfortable to tinker around with asound.conf and alsactl to get sound to work just with alsa directly.

Apply this in VLC.
Tools » Preferences » Show settings: AllTools » Preferences » Video » Subtitles / OSD » Subtitle autodetection fuzziness: 1

If it's cheap why not, but don't expect to display more than one window in the screen.

Hello, I'm new to programming. I hear people say it's best to avoid global variables. Why is this? Secondly, is it okay if I use a variable I defined in another function by returning it?
for example:
def my_function(): x = 4 y = 1 return ydef my_funct(): x +4>>> 8

sorry, I meant to return x, not y

Trying to install something from the AUR and I come across this issue

==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build openssl098.

I tried googling around and I found that " by calling makepkg with the --skippgpcheck option. "

so I assumed that I would do that by editing the PKGBUILD by adding "makepkg --skippgpcheck" but that still didn't work

so what am I supposed to do to skip this PGP check?

I'm kind of at a loss

Oops. I've got a 1tb external I need to transfer stuff out of, one of those Backup Plus Portable models. The female usb port went and now my only option is getting the hdd safely out of the casing. Tried it with a few different usb cables, it's definitely on the drive's end; it only worked for a bit depending on what angle the cable was in and spun down as soon as it moved.

I have read a horror story that the USB bus "controled, for lack of a better term" the SATA bus and that the person couldn't access their data once the USB port broke. If that is the case, the final resort would be to try and swap out the Platters, memory chips, etc onto a different drive and hope for the best. Unfortunately my 1TiB (that offed its self) is a sealed unit so I don't want to risk damaging the internals any way the data on there isn't really important. The only thing left to really do now is smash that drive up to make it nearly impossible to recover the data off it see as I can't access it. Strangely enough the 500 GiB model allows me access to the internals, as does the different branded 2TiB. To me it is a relief knowing that if it really comes down to it I could try and swap the platters, etc.

I have no idea why they're warning you against global variables, but I'm pretty sure variables defined in one function are only defined in that function.

Oh come on, now that's just rude. There goes running it direct through an external cable
Noooope. I don't exactly have a cleanroom to spare.

I get this whenever I try to load an eepsite
This was also happening when I was updating zeronet.
Do you guys know why? I currently firewalled, but I don't think that's causing it.

Also, does anyone want to tell me what's on the hidden booru

ok, it seems to happen whenever I try to go on a site that doesn't exist.
Not just eepsites, but ldkfjlkdsjflkdsjflksdfsd.clksdjf gives me the same shit
but why?

nvm, I was stupid and didn't configure my browser.

How do I update my GNOME to 3.18, I want it like vid related.
youtube.com/watch?v=xu0VSKvfNEI
I am using Debian 8.5.

pic unrelated

Stable, Testing or Unstable?

How do I block those pop-under ads on Mediafire?
But it has tons of shit a hipster like me would want, except the ads.
Can't switch to Linux either.

stable

Also, I use Ublock Origin and it still doesn't block the ads.

try AdBlock Ultimate

Does that block webpages that load whenever I leave the page, those nasty hit-and-run pages? UBlock works fine for blocking most ads, but Mediafire still redirects me to scams whenever I click a link that switches tabs.

Kinda sketchy, because Ublock found ads on their page and Adblock Ultimate didn't

In addition, adblocker ultimate catches far less ads than UBlock Origin.

Download the source code and compile it yourself. Else, wait for it to become stable.

nah, I'm going to wait tbh.

How secure is telegram?

Telegram, as in you give an operator a message, he taps it out in Morse code to another operator, the second operator writes the message down and then it's posted off to whoever it was addressed to? If so, not at all.

bit outdated, but eff.org/node/82654

I need help lads, I installed Cinnamon and I'm using the Arc-Dark Theme. It's working but not 100% correct. Buttons seem bugged, because they are white and text is also white-greyish, which makes it really hard to read. Any way to fix this without changing DE or theme?

What's up with icecat? Did they remove libreJS? I don't see it anymore, and they also removed the option to not accept cookies from the preferences menu.

On which distro? Every gtk update seems to break themes in some way or another, so if you use a rolling release then that's probably why

Antergos

A rolling release, then. A recent update of my Debian Testing system also just fucked up Numix and Arc-Dark for me, so you're not alone. If you're competent with theming then I guess you could try and manually fix it. Maybe manually editing the theme config and setting adwaita (or any up-to-date theme) as the fallback would fix it?

bumping

That's odd. Which package are you trying to build? I'll give it a go on my machine

openssl098 from the AUR

specifically this one
aur.archlinux.org/packages/openssl098/

$ gpg --recv-keys D5E9E43F7DF9EE8C

I'm looking for sandbox/VM software compatible with Debian(jessie), what are some options?

Don't you need a --keyserver argument for that?

thanks lad.

I went for Numix Frost, it's working fine.

Is there anyway I can set firefox to have search measures like vivaldi?

Ex:

Type in the search bar "imdb american psycho", and it searches imdb, not google.

Is there a way to search in google with tor? it keeps telling me to solve the captcha every 2 sec.

Step 1: Go into your search options
Step 2: Set Startpage to the search engine
Step 3: ????
Step 4: PROFIT

Wake me the fuck up fam.
Sorry m80, but I can't make dicks from cocks out of this. As far as I can tell, these are commands are for the Terminal for GNU/Linux. But I'm stuck using windows now, which is the problem. Should I remove the debian partition, and everything debian, reinstall it, THEN do all this, and finally THEN testing windows?

or searching

"youtube how to download autism"

it searches in youtube instead of google

Alright I need help with this. I recently bought a really nice laptop, but it is of course pre-installed with win10. I have tried for a long time to take a system image of my current desktop and simply put that onto the laptop but every time I try something gets in the way, the bios, the storage size and I get random errors. My question is would it be better to simply try and cut off all of the win10 spy services and simply move individual programs and files to the new laptop or should I seek help on getting my system image onto it? If so I think my biggst hurdle right now is that when I try to recover from the image it tells me that the image runs off BIOS while my laptop is using EFI so they aren't compatible. How do I fix this?

I broke ubuntu somehow and I'm using my HDD externally and I want to transfer some data but the drive is LVM2 encrypted or something.
what do?

torrent it
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e20d704074e8a78ae16083e0154179693e5aea86&dn=Windows+7+Ultimate+Sp1+x86-x64+En-Us+OEM+ESD+Aug2015+Pre-Activat&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

thepiratebay.org/torrent/12281067/Windows_7_Ultimate_Sp1_x86-x64_En-Us_OEM_ESD_Aug2015_Pre-Activat

Alright this is gonna be a dumb question so brace yourself. Is there a best quality of video to download when I'm getting movies/shows. Like how for music something like FLAC for "archiving" purposes. Is there a similar for movies?

Untouched ISOs are best

An encode with CRF18 or lower will be near identical

For your average 2-hour 23.976fps H264 movie, you'll notice few differences beyond 7GB.

H265 can reduce that by 35-50%, but inherently loses some fine detail no matter what you do.

If you're asking as a theoretical question then uncompressed video is the best possible quality. It's useless for practical purposes though, because a single film would be in the region of 500GB, and because no studios release their films/TV in uncompressed format to the public (although AFAIK that's how cinemas get it).

For all practical purposes, what you want is the highest bitrate. When you're searching for a particular video, the one with the largest filesize (and therefore the highest bitrate) will generally speaking be the greatest quality. Obviously the rule doesn't work 100% because some video formats are more efficient than others