Distro?

What linux distro should I use?

Since vulcan is getting bigger and because I don't want to support the monopoly that apple and microsoft have on operating systems, AND because I'm going to college for a computer programming type of class this fall, which one is the best?

Will post things for replies.

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkpenguin.com
aryalinux.org/home/]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kek at that pic

also check dem trips

Is mint any good? or should I just go for gentoo?

Ubuntu? I heard that one is good for beginners.
I have some knowledge of command line and some other minimal language experience, but I'm not sure which one would be really good for me.

I guess I could just use TAILS like everyone else on here.

Debian werks. Only one I've ever used. It's much more user-friendly than Windows 7 but you'll need to do a crash course to figure shit out first. Buy a Linux-friendly wifi driver first of you are going to heavily rely on wifi. thinkpenguin.com You may also want to look into Linux graphics cards too because my machine can't into 3d or video software.
Mint is an easier version of Debian and the creator is an anti-semite.
Fuck if I know about any other distros. >>>Holla Forums589254
Read the sticky.

If you're lurking and know anything about college I also have no idea what I'm doing, or what I'm going to be doing there.

Well, it depends on a lot of things. Mint will make you be a little behind the recent updates to software, more so than Ubuntu because they base on Ubuntu LTS version (the Debian version works similarly I think, could be wrong). Mint and Ubuntu hold your hand throughout the process in general, but don't stop you from getting deep into knowing Linux. Ubuntu in particular lets you be pretty up to date because they release new versions every 6 months.

Gentoo doesn't hold your hand and lets you stay up to date with software as much as you want
, something important if you want to take advantage of new tech like vulkan. Problem is, it compiles fucking every piece of software every time you want to install or update something so it can be a huge pain the ass. Just installing it for the first time takes a whole day of compiling I heard.
Its package manager is very powerful and lets you be as picky and specific as you want thought, something you might want if you want optimisation

Try korora, it's fedora based and includes all the closed source cuckware a fledging GNU/linux user needs as they wean themselves off the corporate teat. It comes in whatever window manager flavor you like.

Thanks for the great replies, I appreciate it. I'm looking into these right now.

Fuck, so certain (probably all flagship) graphics cards won't work with linux?

Most cards are fine. AMD cards tend to have better support, and better drivers, but you probably won't have to worry about it.

I prefer nVidia with it's officially supported drivers. ATIs drivers are shit.

What is the use of the command line in Linux?
I'm dumb.

To issue commands, and it's called the terminal :3

Centos, because it hasn't succumbed to the make-your-desktop-as-useless-as-a-tablet faggotry that is Unity or the Gnome 3 shell. Or Mate.

Debian if you want 'stability' (read: ancient software that doesn't crash and only receives security updates) and a 'fuck me, this just werks' experience, Manjaro if you want a user-friendly bleeding edge experience. Gentoo if you really want to compile every single thing to your box's specs and your likings, but the extra performance usually isn't worth the time to most people, considering it's usually just a few additional seconds speed increase.

Don't fall into the *buntu meme, nor the Linux Mint meme. As long as you can read a wiki just fine, even Gentoo is okay for a newbie. (just don't expect everything to go a-okay, no bumps involved)

In regards to the Graphics Card and WiFi chip issues brought up, most WiFi chips are supported, but certain ones have to have their firmware be downloaded. It depends on your chip, really. Graphics Cards on the other hand, most are okay, provided we're talking about AMD here. NVidia is complete shit, Torvalds didn't literally give them the middle finger while saying 'Fuck you, NVidia!' for no reason. AMD is really shaping up on their open-source driver too, it's really catching up to the proprietary one.

Now, no distro is really better than another for whatever reason. They're all pretty much the same thing, except for how package management is done and, depending on the distro, which init system they use. I will say that if you're going to be wanting legitimate control and to be able to administrate your system without many problems, do not go for a distro that relies on systemd (Manjaro has an OpenRC version, Gentoo can run without systemd as well). systemd has a retarded way of handling things, and the developer has proven himself to be incompetent many a time. If you're just an end-user, systemd will be okay, though. It's more of a desktop-oriented init system, rather than server-oriented (despite the fact that many distros that are used for servers starting to adopt it, which has led to a lot of problems).

There are other differences, but those are, for the main part, the major differences that you'll need to know off-hand.

Quit the uncleing already

Apparently you don't know what that reason is. Go listen to what he says and to his clarification and nVidia's rebuttal. Get informed.

And yeah the open source drivers suck but the closed source are great. AMD is getting better sure but they still can't match the performance of the closed source nVidia drivers.

Timeless advice.

Thanks user-friend!

mint with either xfce or lxde as the desktop. If it's your first linux don't bust your balls. Also it's compatible with ubuntu. Try Mint 17, it's supported for a few more years and is pre SystemD, you don't want to be beta testing that garbage.

This is a good post, OP

I use void and it works fine

AryaLinux [aryalinux.org/home/] is the best as it is developed by a single Indian guy who makes copyright memes