Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Which is shittier? I have 8.1 on my Surface Pro 2. It wants me to upgrade to 10. To be honest, 10 does seem better than 8.1, but what do you guys think? Also, if anyone would like to be extra nice, you could show me a link explaining how to remove the botnet shit from both.

Other urls found in this thread:

tiny.cc/aegisvoat
dws.wzor.net
github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases/tag/v3.0.1
archive.is/MANGG
superuser.com/questions/962730/uninstall-all-spying-updates-in-windows-8-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. You are a cuck.
2. For windows 8.1 use tiny.cc/aegisvoat
3. For windows nsa edition use dws.wzor.net

So you prefer 8.1?

i prefer arch linux.
Windows is cancer.

I'm on a Surface Pro. I don't think anything else besides Windows 8+ is touch optimized, and besides, I like to play games sometimes.

You must use Windows 8.1, at least you can disable Windows Update unlike Windows 10.

Windows 10 forces you to automatically install all updates?

>>>/reddit/

For a split second, I thought that I'm on /g/.

You can't debotnet Windows.

You have three solutions which all are bad:

- Disable updates and block MS IPs
= enjoy 0day exploits
- Install some random PREMIUM-WINDOWS-LOADER_by_DARKLORD_xXx.exe
= enjoy even more botnet
- Manually read through the registry and try to de-botnet yourself
= cry when MS resets your configs with the next updates

Not even talking about the potential backdoor problem, MS being part of PRISM and risks with propietary software in general.

Some user made a while back these happy merchant Windows 10 wallpapers - could you repost them here? I lost them!

Time for a serious Answer OP:

Using Windows 10 probably isn't going to fucking kill you, try it on your tablet and see if it works, in my experience its really fucking retarded to get touch screen drivers working on Windows 10 but you have an official Microsoft device so you shouldn't have much issue

I need to reinstall my 8.1
I found an October 2014 AIO release, that way I can install an enterprise and use a few tools to block everything.

How's DisableWinTracking? I've been using it so far

I'll be sure to disable windows updates and leave it as is

A better question would be - 8.1 or 7?
I'm getting a new rig, and I'm torn on what to use simply because of the reported performance gains 8.1 has over 7 and 10. Currently on 8.1 with Classic Shell+OldNewExplorer.

Before anyone says Linux, I have openSUSE and ReactOS on dualboot.

That's not a very good question. Virtually nothing has changed since Windows Vista, all they did was tack on more shit and move things around. They've shuffled features and settings around so much that it appears the OS is schizophrenic. This phenomena is worse in WIndows 10, but it seems they are slowly trying to fix that.

With that said, this means that Windows 10 is unfinished. Microsoft doesn't test updates extensively enough and have relegating testing to users (B-but it's free! Can't complain!). With that said...

That depends on the version you are using. If you use Home, all updates will be installed automatically. You can choose to schedule a restart time, but if you continuously delay it, they will force it upon you. This is Microsoft's kneejerk reaction to the droves of retards that think it's smart to keep their system out-of-date. In fairness, Microsoft should've considered what makes people hesitant to update in the first place, but their OS isn't a huge moneymaker anymore, so they brute-forced the problem.

If you're using Professional, you are allowed to defer updates that will add features -- security patches will still be installed automatically. The deferred features will be installed eventually, but currently it is unclear how long you will be allowed to defer these features. Other than that, gpedit.msc is really the only other useful feature of Professional, and even with it, you still can't block the Windows Store from your users.

I can't speak to the extent of Enterprise, since I have never used it, but I do know that it allows for zero telemetry. Which leads me to....

The only real solution to this problem is to not use Windows. I'm serious.

You can try all you want like says...
but if you cohabit your host with malware, it will always adapt and it will always win. If you don't think Microsoft knows what is being done to circumvent their telemetry updates, you're fooling yourself. The next mandatory update will undo all of your painstaking work. The only way to beat malware is to remove it. Sorry to say.

If you want to make yourself feel better about using either, and you don't mind the folks at Safer-Networking, you can try their Spybot Anti-Beacon. I've used it personally on WIndows hosts, and I like to call it "feelgoodware". It doesn't do much, but you feel a whole lot better using it. Hope this helps.

If you mean using Windows 8.1 Enterprise to avoid telemetry, that might be a good bet. As far as I know, they didn't backport those features to Enterprise versions of Windows, because they do not exist in W10 Enterprise versions. I can't confirm that, though I have used Windows 8.1 Ent personally, and never caught it phoning home. If you're banking on a free upgrade to W10 though, forget about it. I'm sure you know about that already though.

There are no performance gains between Windows 7 and 10. I've seen benches report 1fps more in Windows 8 over 7, but it's nothing to believe in anything substantial -- they both use DirectX 11. If anything, stick with Windows 8 for the improved task manager and file explorer. It's really down to personal preference at that point. Also, if you're not planning on taking advantage of the free W10 upgrade for DX12, then Vulkan just may be in your future, which means your version of Windows will really be irrelevant.

Is Spybot Anti-Beacon better?
The new one is said to cover all Windows from 7 through 10

With good enough debloating of shit, Windows 8.1 uses relatively lesser ram than Windows 7.
I don't mind the interface, so there's that.

By 'uses relatively lesser ram', I meant Windows 7 used about 950+ after getting to the desktop, and 8.1 was around 820+

Yeah I understand we cant totally unfuck a Windows 8.1, but we have the tools to make it as "good" as it can be.

I'll take the october 2014 release of Enterprise and not install a single update, unless I absolutely need it.

I was wondering what you think of
github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases/tag/v3.0.1
As i've been using it previous for a while now.
"Using" as in, ran it once to fix the shit, then I was done

Win7 it is, then.

I probably can live with the increase in RAM usage since that's what 16GB of RAm is for.

Just use Malwarebytes.

With Windows 7, I read an article that listed five updates to get rid of to disable muh botnet on 7. Is that accurate? If so, is there not a similar fix for 8.1 and/or 10?

I was asking if Spybot's Anti-Beacon to disable telemetry is better than what suggested, not about antivirus software.

Unless Malwarebytes does this as well?

The proper thing to do is not installing them at all
Theres plenty of identified updates on win 7 that add telemetry and other shit
I think you mean this
archive.is/MANGG

Oh, Christ, there are so many... my head is spinning.

Malwarebytes isn't an antivirus, and no, it doesn't disable telemetry on its own. My take would be to simply use the open-source tool dedicated to the task than depend on a paid all-in-one that may or may nor work over time.

Kek
superuser.com/questions/962730/uninstall-all-spying-updates-in-windows-8-1

Choice is clear.