Tor moves to DDG as default search engine

Are they unaware of the potential privacy issues with DDG? Why not StartPage or Searx?

lwn.net/Articles/689303/rss

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/tech/ddg.html
github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Searx-instances
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's the privacy issue with DDG?

Jews

8ch.net/tech/ddg.html

Lurk moar friend

Do you still trust Tor? Hmm. I can see where the problem is.

Thanks user. Really though, that link doesn't mean much to me.

What concerns you?

All the link says is the owner has been involved in selling user data in the past and there are no certifications, whereas SP has certifications and no history of user data selling and Searx is a meta-search engine which is FOSS. You went beyond shitposting, for even your shitpost is shit.

Who cares? You can change search engines more easily than you can change carafes in a coffee maker.

Because DDG conveniently has an onion address

ddg is run by jews

Are you new? StartPage used to be Tor's default search until they complained.

Aren't they just using Disconnect as a proxy to get results from DDG?

Tor and the Tor Browser Bundle are not the same thing you retard. Also, . What data are they going to collect via a hidden service?

There are enough reasons to shit on TBB, for instance their Javascript policy.

You can change it. Sadly disconnect don't redirect to onion version of DDG by default.

I know I can change it, but the only reason to use TBB is that it's (supposed to be) a preconfigured browser you can just start to be more anonymous. This blatant vulnerability is inexcusable, it's either malice or dangerous incompetence.

The certifications are useless. There are none of those big certifications who you could truly trust as a tinfoiler.

Searx would be a great choice, if it didn't go down so often and didn't give useless results unless you disable anything that isn't google

this isn't a "vunerability", and if you're using TBB there's nothing for DDG to collected you fucking moron

Tell that to the last bunch of torfags who got v& because of Javascript exploits.

I have never claimed otherwise, learn to read.

You don't need JS to use DDG.

And anyway, it wasn't a "JS exploit" that got them - they used the same machine to browse clearnet without TOR and triggered what was essentially a JS cookie

DDG is proprietary.

Learn to read, for the love of fuck. I'm not talking about DDG.

Guess all these Flash exploits in the last decade weren't Flash exploits after all. That shit was secure the whole time, who knew!

I wrote (the original version of) that page. The basic message is that the engine is sketchy, so it's better to use something else, but there's no proof of tracking.

I don't think that the switch of the TBB to Duckduckgo is a problem. They can't track you over Tor. And Duckduckgo has an official hidden service, although I don't know if they use that.

That is very different to flash locally exploiting the user's machine to phone home

How is that a privacy issue in the case of a website? There's no way to verify that a website runs the code it claims it does.

Which doesn't make any difference in this particular case.

disgusting

Would using the AGPL and a read only view (that hides things sepecific to the install) of the sites running code work?

Not unless the running code is release or the admin is stupid enough to confirm or deny.
What is correlaring time, writing style (not really revelant to DDG), browser header (not really revelant to the TBB), screen size (which I belive is only findable with JS enabled) and probably a lot of other methods.

DuckDuckGo is trendy. That's it. Startpage will be around for a long time though.

hahahahaha I2P was here before Tor and will be here after Tor
Give me one good reason why ANYONE should use Tor right now, there isnt any. I2P is better in every single way. As soon as the NSA becomes a global adversary, all you tor users are F-U-C-K-E-D. Accept it, you can't hide. The Internet Protocol wasn't designed for privacy.

btw you have to be braindead to actually use anything other than google.com for web search

now excuse me while I boot up my windows 10 machine and enjoy friends and family.

correlate to what? what do "they" have to correlate to?
again, what do they have to compare your "writing style" to? do you think "they" are going to invest so much time and effort into comparing everything single piece of text "they" have against "how to take screenshot on linux"
i'm starting to think that privacy autists are a group of LARPing narcissists.
what is CSS?
read: I FEEL like there's something else but no proof but I KNOW this to be true or else I'll have spent so much time doing shit that doesn't matter but I know that sperging out over what search engine I use matters because I don't want the illuminati to know I'm having trouble figuring out how to take a screenshot on linux!!!!!
tldr; you have no fucking clue what you're talking about

The time between a post is send and it is replied to, for one. Another the time between
Other posts, everyone is likely to have a unique writing style.
Nice label there. There is always a part of a group that will be Larping narcissists.
Isn't CSS static thought and doesn't change because of a user`s action without manual intervention?
Nice counter argument there. What do you think I am missing then?

Oh why hello Redit cancer. How are you? Fredrick inviting your kind was a mistake.
Please step to into this >>>/gaschamber/ before something happens.
Also scrot is perfectly fine in taking screen shots, you projectionist.

Did you try to get a real family? You know, one that is not on a computer display.

Some of us go to work with shitty firewalls.
Anyway nice try NSA. :^)

Startpage uses google results, why would I want everything through a google filter?

github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Searx-instances

what do you think about yandex?

It's trivial to hide code from that view, and you can even do plenty of tracking without violating the AGPL.

Not powerful enough to make search query data useful. The TBB is actually modified so that screen size is the same for everyone unless you resize the window (so don't do that). They get extremely short pieces of text in small loads. You can't get any data worth selling that way.

putinbotnet

I only use their services because I don't fear Russia in my country.

I've never heard any solid criticism of DDG, it all comes off as Alex Jones tier speculation.

Holy Motes didn't realized Searx had a Git Repos and .onion address
Nice catch user

Fuck off shill

>What is correlaring time, writing style (not really revelant to DDG), browser header (not really revelant to the TBB), screen size (which I belive is only findable with JS enabled) and probably a lot of other methods.
Why did you even reply?

I think half the posts weren't generated.

(fixpost)