a.cocaine.ninja/lzrazy.jng
a.cocaine.ninja/kikddc.png
bellard.org/bpg/
caniuse.com/#feat=webp
gs.statcounter.com/?PHPSESSID=m54bsh9i4cv16d7s5c5ia6e4e2
irfanview.com/main_formats.htm
boards.4chan.org/g/thread/54949381
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anime was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Bandwidth is only going up and png already supports transparency, we have everything we need already.
We lack a standardized way to store stereoscopic pictures in a single way and tag them as such, but we don't need it so nobody's done it yet.

Well there's always flif :^)

All we really need is a good lossy format with an alpha channel. But since Mozilla is butthurt about WebP, we won't be solving that soon.

I'm pretty sure that's called gif.

I would agree with you, if there was even one current GIF decoder/encoder implementation that supported more than a 256 colour palette. And the most retarded part is that 256 is not even defined in the spec. It's just historic. There was even a true colour GIF library written in the 90s, but it's dead unmaintained now.

Webp can replace both with big improvements. Jpeg itself is A LOT worse than most new video codec I-frames (Daala, h265, AV1...).

PNG files are too big.

Video formats sped ahead in quality/size while image formats remained the same.

The only way we can actually ever hope for WebP adoption, is if Edge implements support. FF will follow soon enough, at the fear of being that shit browser that doesn't.

I can go out today and buy a 500GB HDD for £20. Twenty whole pounds. That's less than I spend on Magic the Gathering every fortnight. Stop complaining about HDD space, convert files to farbfeld on the fly if you're really anal about it

Who cares about your HDD. What matters is network transfer efficiency.

See the first paragraph of
If we could use it on dialup, it's good enough for *DSL

Bandwidth matters for page load speed and servers. It does not matter, if you need to download/serve one, but a few hundred per second is a huge deal of unnecessary overhead.

GIF is actually a lossless format.
Got more than 256 colours? Just start a new combine-frame with its own 24-bit-deep palette.

found the cuck

What the fuck does that have to to do with image formats?

You fucking anti-anime activists are insane and belong in a mental institution. People don't even have to mention anime and you still fucking start sperging out about it out of nowhere.

if i wanted to wait for blocks to rearrange themselves into picture i'd just use jpg

my dick belongs in ur mum

I store most of my images these day in JNGs. The look just like PNGs and JPEGs but, in most cases, they only one tenth of the file size. You can do this with IrfanView /w the plug-in from there site (if you prefer to avoid closed source software, use aconvert.com [note, you won't save file space with JPEGS] for conversion and GNOME Image Viewer for viewing). If Holla Forums did this it work save untold 1000s in bandwidth and the sever would be dying constantly.

Compare the picture quality and size:
*(I don't care if you like MLP, just compare the imposable size reduction and picture quality mono-culture)*

a.cocaine.ninja/lzrazy.jng princess luna (1166334) - dalagar.jng
a.cocaine.ninja/kikddc.png princess luna (1166334) - dalagar.png

Whoa! There's a butthurt weeaboo if I ever saw one.

Nigga the fuck. That shit straight up looks like a *Nix system, but the borders are Windows 7 tier. The fuck?

how come 90s anime is so much better than the shit we get now?

Shitting Streets

Examples?

golden boy

gundam

the simpsons

brady's bunch

boku no pico

>recompressing your JPEGs using the same JPEG codec but at a lower quality and in a format 99% of software can't read
Holy fuck you're stupid.

Compressionplebs do just fine with this, but something that compresses better can help.
It's already lossless, what's the point in changing it?

No they aren't. Are you on dial-up or 2G, maybe 3G mobile data or some shit? Wow, 532 kb, that's like giant or some shit.

Stop being dumb.

I refer you again to the response above.

I mean really, PNGs weren't a problem even in the day of dial-up.

There is literally no reason to use jpeg over PNG unless you're dealing with a shitty website that has pathetic file size limits. Like this one, or youtube for the custom thumbnail slot.

what the fuck are you doing?

he meant that such an image should not be stored as a png

GIF is lossless.
It also only supports 1 bit for the alpha channel, so any one pixel is either transparent, or opaque. Nothing in between.

WebP is probably the ideal at the moment, as it even lets you have a lossy alpha channel with lossless RGB channels, or lossy RGB with lossless alpha, if you want.

The only issue with the format, is that VPX still takes forever to encode.
Also Animated WebP are still horribly underoptimized, that it'd be better to just use WebM. Honestly, why do we still use image formats for animation anyways?

What puts it over the competing "new image formats" though, is the fact that it already has support by one of, if not THE most used browser on the internet.
Just need more, highly used image editing software to have support built in.

There's no reason NOT to improve. Websites still need to manage their bandwidth, and using codecs with smaller image sizes for the same image is profitable.

Because no one used large PNG images, and most were small icons, exactly what PNG was meant for. At the moment, larger bandwidth is cheaper, but that's no reason not to improve.

An analogy: Cars in the 60s ran just fine; why bother making better cars?

What does Holla Forums think of bpg ?
bellard.org/bpg/

It takes after HEVC and aims to replace JPEG and supports lossless. Advocates better quality than JPEG for lower file sizes.

It's a redmond WM

No, you're the cuck. You think just because something works means nothing better should be made. That's literally the opposite of what our species has been doing since our species began to exist. You're cucking yourself from progress all the while saying anyone who wants to improve technology is a cuck, without even giving any reasoning, because you can't because it's not true.

what our species has been doing

mass extinction, living unsustainably-fuck everybody after us, polluting the water, soil and air

plz die

first digimon season

Use FLIF :>

When it will be released

png is perfection

And why not? There is literally zero reason not to have that as PNG.

You are a cuck. Do we need a new version of WAV or FLAC too?

Name some ways modern cuckcars are better than the 60s cars other than fuel efficiency, which is an artificial scarcity with artificially inflated prices.

And yet, I have zero reason to believe you aren't hopping in all the threads about newer, stronger, better hardware REEEEEEEEEEing about how it's somehow botnet, nobody needs more than 4GB of RAM, shit is "bloatware" if it takes more than 64kb of RAM to run, "10 year old chinkpads are best computers", etc.

That image most likely started it's life on the Internet as a jpg.

There is literally no reason to convert an already lossy image into a lossless one.

You're the one who started crying about anime in a thread that has nothing to do with anime. You don't get to call other people butthurt.

And no, I'm not a weeaboo. You have no idea what that word means.

You belong in a padded cell.

And you're calling ME a cuck?

It's encoder is still being updated and improved.
Better encoders and codecs, with better features and smaller filesizes for equal quality is a good reason to improve and switch over. Why should PNG be the only filesize people use?

How about the fact that cars now-a-days won't kill you from carbon monoxide? Or that they're better designed to break, so that you don't die as often in a car-crash?

It isn't. You are cherry-picking a tiny handful of shows and comparing them against a strawman.

And what the fuck does this have have to do with the thread? In what way are image formats related to anime?

you are wrong.

There are multiple, JPEG specs came out in 1992 and only really ramped up in use 10 years later. You will have to wait until we adopt shit like FLIF, WEBP or JPEG XR, but they will come much faster.

What specifically is wrong with jpeg? Doesn't it support multiple compression levels? Are there better compression techniques out there? Are other techniques more or less computationally expensive? PNG is nice for the things it's nice for, and while it would be ideal to have a better optimized lossless format for noisier pictures, what would the data structure look like to make it so different from PNG? What purpose would it serve? For places where it's needed, raw data can probably be achieved and if not, there are plenty of lossless formats to choose from. Unless there's a large innovation, there isn't much of a need to create a brand-new image format. Remember that one XKCD comic about competing standards. This isn't like an operating system where a new version needs to be pushed out every 2-3 years for marketing reasons.

raw data can probably be acquired*

Comparing a handful of cherry-picked examples against a strawman is invalid. Fuck off. And AGAIN, what does this have to do with image formats?

It's 20 years old.

Holy shit a real green, I thought you people only existed on TV

Holla Forums is dead.

Trips confirm

no

The lines in the sky are smooth and crisp in the png version of your image, and look blurry and noisy in the jng.

If you want to effectively lose spatial resolution due to compression, why don't you just resize the damn thing.

Can't you see the obscene amounts of jpeg artifacts on that image? Re-saving it as PNG only bloats the filesize, it doesn't magically restore the lost quality.
That, and it means you can't reduce the filesize again (by saving as JPG) without further reducing the quality.
It's a stupid thing to do.

I'll take a 20 year old file format over a 2016 backdoor pajeet coded standard any day.

yeah, because fertilizer causing algal blooms and dead zones are just myths and lies

Having to buy patent licenses from two competing cartels just to shitpost anime screenshots is something that deserves no response

Last time I was told they are caused by animal refuse, which is it?

Like deserts ansheit?

(compression vs speed) ratio is shit.
webp lossless compresses better and faster.
what about bigger pictures?

Please spoiler NSFW files.

Nigger, are you on a 386? Who gives a fuck? What hardware made in the past 20 years has any issue with PNGs?

What about them?

;_;

lain

Seriously though, does anyone know why Holla Forums doesn't support modern formats?

Obvious troll, but this is Holla Forums in a nutshell.

my only problem is apng and gif.
gif sucks
apng gets too huge without compression

Which "modern formats" are properly supported by all major web browsers?

Here, I just cut your filesize to a quarter and literally nobody would ever be able to notice, let alone give a shit about your shitty image.

anyone who doesn't want loading a webpage to cost 1% of their battery life

Any of them that can be rerendered serverside (or clientside, if they're gullible enough to have JS enabled) as fallbacks in PCX, ILBM, PNT, or whatever format some faggot's arthritic web browser supports, just like MediaWiki has been able to for ages.

It wouldn't be any more demanding than thumbnail creation.

Kill yourself.

You are quite literally retarded on every level.

Get the fuck off your dialup plan nigger, christ even mobile data doesn't give a fuck about 3MB. Do you re-encode your movies in some shit format to fit on a 700mb CD too?

I don't even need to say anything, but I'm sure you'll be very confused why.

If I have to load your image longer than 1.5 seconds, I'm not going to load it at all unless I have interest in using it for something other than reposting. What makes you think I anyone gives a fuck about your shitty screenshot.

You know why do I even bother typing words to you.

Oh I care so much about your ADHD, user, so much.

Because you're an autistic nigger that somehow manages to have problems with the fact that in a year past 2000 with an internet connection above dial-up, people don't give a fuck about making things as small as possible.

FLAC is used for archiving, and your image isn't worth archiving.

I really hope for you that you're rusing.

Nigger people listen to FLACs. People view PNGs. You suffer from extreme autism and should be restricted from the internet.
You wouldn't happen to be the nigger that spammed Holla Forums with "should be a jpeg" last year, would you?

Your a nigger and you should feel bad.

People used it on dialup because it was the fastest thing at the time. Technology has changed and now there are formats with better compression.

If you had dialup now, would you still want JPG images or would you prefer WebP?

GIF files are big-ass files, and a few years ago, before most files were originally .webm files, people used sites like gfycat to compress GIFs to a lower size before viewing them.

VP9+Opus .webm videos are (slowly, because VP9 takes ages to encode) replacing VP8+OGG .webm videos.
People are starting to convert their music to opus 96Kbps audio files to save file size, since they're smaller and better than 128Kbps MP3 files or just better than 96Kbps AAC files.

People switched from MPEG-2 to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

What the fuck are you doing?

kek

That's not how the Internet works. If Holla Forums for example can only send data at 10 kb/s then it doesn't matter how fast your connection is, you're only getting it at 10 kb/s.

A lot of people also have data caps.

Things are meant to get more efficient not less efficient.

JPG exists because PNG is inefficient for many purposes. If you use PNG for everything you have autism.

caniuse.com/#feat=webp

check it out

if google suddenly said "we'll stop using jpg and start using webp in our sites for everything in 2 months" then everyone would have to implement it before the change, even if they were bullshitting.

gs.statcounter.com/?PHPSESSID=m54bsh9i4cv16d7s5c5ia6e4e2

Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about.

Perfectly preserved artifacts.
talk to the fag that made the image, not the one who downloaded and reposted the dankness

Dialup and 1.6GB HDD not big enough for you? Get a job.

Everything else was fine but that last one. The quality of MPEG-2 when you don't care too much about bitrate is objectively better than MPEG-4 and its derivatives. It really was a step back for people who care about quality.

4cuck's /g/ has been hecking the webm format to single frame pictures supposedly webp format.

there usually a thread up about it.

You know I hate you? Like really fucking hate you? I don't even know who you are but your mom really should've finished the job when she failed at aborting you
Why do you browse Halfchan anyways?
You are obviously a very cluless human being so I'll make it brief
1.) It isn't hacking

2.) Learn what webp files are

3.) Grow some braincells and stop being cancer, people may allow retards on the hugbox known as 4chan because hurting feelings can get you banned there if its outside of Holla Forums, but not here, fucking learn.

What a new image format has to have:
Lossy and lossless support (royalty-free and state of the art).
Support for a wide variety of color space (scRGB, RGBA, CMYK, Rec. 709, Rec. 2020 CIE, YIQ, YUV, YDbDr, xvYCC, YPbPr, YCbCr, HSV, HSL, etc.).
Support 3D stereoscopic.
Optimized compression for grayscale.
Alpha channel.
Tiled Images.
Image Trees.
Multiple subfiles.
Multiple resolution.
High dynamic range support.
ICC profile, Extensible Metadata Platform, Exif.
Supports animation (Intra-frame only and simple Motion compensation ).
Support panorama with out-of-the-box interaction as QuickTime VR.
Support for layers, storing the information in their metadata.

Do everything and do it well.

This post gave me a stroke

at the same bitrate, everything has better quality than fucking MPEG2.

you 'avin a stroke m8?

Again, the Internet does not work like that.

the golden girls

ITT: plebs
I would post an example image, but this shittily built site can't handle it.

Except it does nigger.

Download IrfanView, get the plugins, go nuts.

Bloatware 101

bruh.

irfanview.com/main_formats.htm

m8 lrn2read feg.

>> boards.4chan.org/g/thread/54949381

m8 the first thread was called 'webp hack' but it's a cpu forkbotnet.

I choose to believe the png fag in this thread is just a troll.

WebP?

Just use a single container format for audio, video, and still images instead of reinventing the wheel, like Apple did before they cucked themselves with "QuickTIme" X?

reminder png is superior

WebP does not support even half that.
Besides being created by Google in a hurry.

ITT: nigger using .png for everything because autism and it's CURRENT YEAR, we all have broadband internet anyway amirite?

I hope you die of ass cancer.

WebP is designed for what people actually use, not what some ricer in his mom's basement thinks everyone should pay for in a computer screen.

The idea of reusing a container standard (mkv, ogg, riff, mp4) is good, however put everything into the same pattern media (standard and container are different) is not good.
A standard for raster image, which unifies all the features and techniques in one format, thinking in the world of image editing. No audio, no video, no JS, no docx, no pdf.

add:
Compression techniques for color palette.
Feature "3D object view" like quicktime vr.
RAW support?
Water mark

Good container formats are "chunked" in such a way that they're no more bloated than a single-purpose format with the same features. The only way to make simpler formats would be for "modern" OSs to use a truly modern filesystem and take advantage of rich metadata, but since that's never going to happen again after VMS/*N*X won the OS wars, that functionality must be "overloaded" inside files themselves with universal containers.

I'm sure that there will be a new version of WebP (or a replacement) when AV1 comes out. The AV1 encoder available right now uses .webm files, right?

Why are we still using utf8, new formats never ever?

Why would anyone complain about having Great universal standards

Yeah, actually the Internet and all respectable protocols based on its network do not centralize data distribution, so bandwidth isn't a problem and backbones are mainly there to allow worldwide sharing but we don't rely on them.

Except we're on the Web.
Fuck.