Servo + webrender is going to kick ass

Things have been bad for Firefox lately, but it looks like the new rendering engine really is fucking great. This webpage renders at 60fps synced (hundreds with no vsync) in the servo rendering engine. See for yourself how fast it runs in your current browser (unless you're browsing with Edge, it's gonna be ugly):
output.jsbin.com/surane/quiet

I'm pretty hyped. Even rendering simple Holla Forums pages can freeze up my browser right now. Hopefully this can breathe some life back into Firefox and get them to quit sucking dick.

youtube.com/watch?v=u0hYIRQRiws

Other urls found in this thread:

filldisk.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hopefully it's modular enough for someone to build a browser around it that doesn't suck.

It's never going to happen, it's just a toy project.

That could be rendered at 60fps on a mid-90s game console. Web browsers have become pitiful.

They've always been pitiful. What we need is a solution for quality text rendering in WebGL and we can just phase browsers out. Maybe Vulcan gets rid of these issues?

That's what happens when you make to much abstraction.
Plus the fact that new generations are getting dumber and dumber

what stage of development is fiber in now?

small intestine

I love you Ken, I'm definitely installing day one, you better be ready.

Please give us access to the source code already

servo is vaporware

tor / i2p + servo when?

I agree with this.

Most likely end up like Shumway.

Websites have just become bloated, as a result of web browsers becoming bloated.

Those are dynamic html elements on a page that need to have a million tons of bloat so CSS and JS can interact with them, not hyper optimized static graphics.

Fiber: The duodenum-tier browser, working towards a future of being shit-tier after passing through the large intestine.

I won't lie; development was really troubled for a while, I'm actually writing about it because I fell into *all* the traps. If you follow PlanetKDE you'll see a "lessons learned" post from me sometime. It's worth talking about and exposing failures as much as successes.

I'll be following up that blog post with a progress update in a week or two, it'll cover where things are in detail. A couple months ago I organised myself, changed my development process, and set attainable milestones. Since then I've made more tractable progress in those months than I have in the past year, and Fiber is healthy now for it.

I'll be talking about source release in a couple weeks with my progress update, along with how the reorganisation affect that stuff. I will be releasing the 'core' first, and from there you'll see somewhat rapid updates as I complete and reintegrate components removed during the reorganisation. Right now the focus is getting the core browser into a cohesive state before source upload.

AND I LOVE YOU! And the enthusiasm! But I'm going to set expectations for what people will see in early versions in the aforementioned post. The first releases will be skeletal, and I'd definitely stay away from pre-1.0 versions like the plague unless you like getting gagged & whipped.

we're already on an imageboard

Shumway had no purpose besides keeping alive a legacy technology that is being rapidly phased out, I would hardly compare that to a new and faster rendering engine

go away

new age minimalist cancer

Nigger what the fuck. Firefox dropped the menu bar ages ago, when glossy buttons and bloated special snowflake UI were still all the rage. But it's still there, literally one Alt key press away.

As long as the Servo button is more like the Firefox Classic menu button and not like a hamburger menu, I will be happy.

In FF you can enable the menu bar still.

Is this the case with Fiber?

I, for one, welcome our new SJW overlords

I've been abused for about 20 years. I'll believe it's there when I see it unhidden.

I will also accept a nice cli though.

I really like the idea of most things being an extension, i'm definitely excited too start porting/creating extensions. Is it going to be similar to how chrome/firefox APIs work? Also how much access to browser internals does the API give?

The future of shitposting has never looked brighter.

Will be, currently isn't, probably won't be for some time. I need to finish other things first. Odds are I'll be giving the menubar and browser-level shortcuts love at the same time since they'll probably express through the same manifest entries.

I'm constantly referring to the Firefox and Chrome API documents for how they put things together, see how the big boys have done it, but it's still a very different API.

For reference here some key differences in the APIs already:

Things that are currently terrible:

Currently the API depth is just high-level stuff. I'm just coding what I need at the moment. It will grow though, get lower, get stricter, it's still early days.

Anyway, I've spent more time writing this than programming. I might be back, might not, either way it was fun popping in again. Cheers. :)

you've seen filldisk.com/ right?