Holla Forums, when can I put my brain or mind into a robotic body? I did a reasearch paper on it...

Holla Forums, when can I put my brain or mind into a robotic body? I did a reasearch paper on it, but I wanted to know what latest news you have heard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1EC4gXQEYSA
scientificamerican.com/article/c-elegans-connectome/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BCIs are progressing for sure, but the primary problem is we still have not come up with an accurate theory of what constitutes awareness.
You may be aware of your current ego, memories, and and values, but transferring your mind to a computer could be equivalent to creating a clone of you with the same memories and NOT transferring your awareness. Which of course would be equivalent to death if the original you is destroyed.

Sure, but you're still alive, just in a robot

You are defining "you" differently than I do.

I define the self as the awareness of one's ego and not the ego itself. I'm talking about the Cartesian theater. You are not your mind, you only observe it, just as you only observe everything else.

If you can't transfer the observer, then mind uploading is worthless as a personal goal.

OP why would you want this?
Havent you seen Robocop 1?

pic related
>>>/cyber/

I hear The Institute is making great progress.

Isn't that Robocop 2?

Start now by swapping out your body parts as superior robotic variants become available. Good quality robotic legs are objectively better than fleshy legs already so I would do them first.

Got a ways to go on other organs, most of that is due to trepidation. You should go into research. Probably a robotic heart would be a good next step. Hands and arms are still a ways off. Robotic kidneys are available now but they still are not as good as natural ones yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=1EC4gXQEYSA

i just want full GitS style replaceable bodies, with all natural functions preserved

Gradual replacement of organic neurons with electronic ones is a possible solution.

Never, you're gonna die before it becomes possible.

Had to make new thread because the horse fuckers detailed the old one to talk about why no one wants them around? Horse fuckers are stupid.

OP has the same fear I do
Better invest in cryogenics kiddo, freeze your ass for a few centuries until that shit is possible
Either you wake up in the future or you die
Or you just die

there go my nipples again

That's the same logic as Pascal's wager, but anyhow you'll just break your cells and become dead meat.

Live a good life now, if you play your cards well your genetic decendence might live forever.

Even if I did, fuck them, I want to live with a robotic body!

do you want to survive death with science because you don't buy into religion, or are you simply looking for a cool robotic body?

it's still too far into the future. Read here to get acquainted with state of the art mind scanning:
scientificamerican.com/article/c-elegans-connectome/

genes suck ass. I'd rather make my memes live forever. Even the fucking macaques pass memes.

it's extremely unlikely your offspring will last for a considerable amount of evolutionary time, like long enough to produce the next species. if you went sufficiently back time you would find that all humans today descend from a single caveman, and that the offspring of all other cavemen are dead by now.

or you can dedicate your life to the study and research of CogSci so that people in the future will be able to transfer their minds out of their aging bodies

I would want to upload my brain to a computer before I'd want to computer my body.
one traps you in a body like a fucking metal tomb and one eliminates the need for a body entirely.

It's a bit of both.

No, you're dead there is just a robot with your memories and personalities.

In about 350 years

Modern neurology is pointing heavily in the direction of awareness being a product of the functions of the brain as a whole. If we're not blatantly wrong as to how the brain works for some weird reason, it would literally be impossible to transfer those memories and such without transferring consciousness.

If it has the same structure as a human brain and has the same memories it's going to believe it's aware, and the only evidence for awareness we have is that everyone believes they're aware. There's no reason to think that it wouldn't be aware.

The answer was already written itt: growing into a different life form. Be it carbon or silicon-based. The individual continuity is a given, even if personality shifts in the process.

Look, the moment you're just stored on some server you're an editable slave waiting to be shut down eventually.

I'd sooner be an unfeeling manly roboman in spehs', forging my own destiny, than a bread and circuses virtual decadent stored away in some massive pleb pen, waiting for an oligarchy/admin AI to finally get around to pull the plug on my useless ass.

pleb

But wouldn't there be two "you" so to speak, then? Unless your body dies in the process, or you kill your organic body intentionally,.

Would anti virus software for your robot body be covered by insurance?

Umm, never?

You are soul isn't compatible with a robot user.

What's a soul?

BEGONE FOUL BEAST! BACK TO THE MINDLESS HIVE FROM WHICH YOU CAME!

Yes. My thoughts on this in the future are that we can have a system where your mind is regularly backed up but not activated. In the event that you reach a certain age or suffer mortal injury, the last backup can be reactivated in a new body or in virtual world, whichever we end up having in the future.

The virtual world future is more exiting to me, I think, since it solves the temporal issues associated with space travel and moving people to new planets. We can relatively easily get a vehicle to alpha centauri if it's a robot, but keeping a living organisim well... living... for the time needed is another issue altogether. In a future where we can just transmit a mind at the speed of light, though, you could do a kind of git clone and send a copy of your mind to the star as the robot arrives while another copy stays on Earth. After doing its exploration, the copy could then send its updates back to re-merge with you back on our home planet.

I've had similar thoughts about mind backups myself. Personally, I'd rather have a robotic body. It's a much more appealing and exciting thing to me. I can imagine being able to leave the body for a computer network (assuming my mind is digital and not still organic), but I'd want to spend most of my time in my body.

Natural selection in fact generally works on a population level. Most species can't get away with bottlenecks of a degree like that unless they can asexually reproduce.

*tip*

neuro scientists have put implants in mice to erase memory or create fear.

Slowly getting there.

>tfw Humans create Heaven or Hell.
I fucking love tech.

Then you get Theseus' paradox.

Not really any different to your current body which have been replaced, cell by cell, many times over.

so you want to commit suicide and have a robot running around that's been programmed to think it's you, eh?

you'll never know whether the second part worked or not, so you can do the first part whenever. Same result as far as you're concerned.

why not?

even if you can do it within your lifetime it will be proprietary and simply broken. you'll die from a glitch or someone exploting your cloud connection (which is implemented as a Java EE application interfacing with Firefox/Chrome)

You disgust me.

or both

But do you truly know that is how it will play out? Imagine, being transferred into an eternity-lasting robotic body, your mind AND consciousness fully intact, it really is you, and you no longer have the limitations of the human body to hold you back.

Consciousness comes from the multitude of sensory inputs from your whole body. So while you might retain your cognitive capacities, it wouldn't be the same you.

maybe they already did it. think of all the times you didn't die so far

Backups doesn't mean you live forever. If you are going to change the state of the brain by bringing an entirely new set of functions, (doesn't matter if you already had them) you are still dying. A new you will come to live.

Except that if the robot is "you" enough, then the robot would have to commit suicide too to even succeed in the first part.

The mistake was too large. Probability of being bate is over 83%

Your brain starts shrinking by 5% every 10 years when you hit 40.

You can have a robot body but your brain's dead jim.

Also would be better to ask this on a site that isn't dead, with 15PPH

It wouldn't be the same you insofar as your 3-year old self is you... that is if the separate mental clone of you could be considered attached to the same perspective as the initial you. Which is the concern, and should be approached as soon as we have the opportunity to do so.