A beautiful thinkpad

You can only post in this thread whitout being jealous if you also have a thinkpad signed by stallman.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org
endchan.xyz/tech/res/4409.html
ja.axxs.net/read_this_first!.htm
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T420
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Okay.

>>>/furry/

He put this condition on you didn't he, he would only sign your laptop if you agreed to share the signature with everyone else.

Are you even allowed to run anything proprietary anymore?

That photo is proprietary.

I don't think you understand what site you're on

every week a proprietary software dissapear from this laptop. Flash dissapeared the second it got signed. A signature from stallman is in reality a seal that block proprietary software slowly and kills it. His signature is the biggest function ever written in the programming world.

All he asked me was which distro I ran. I told him it was Debian's main repository, and he was ok with that.

I did see him refuse to sign someone's Macbook because it had a "Communist Party" cover and he didn't want to be associated with that.

>>>/furry/

>>>gnu.org

What a fucking proprietary signature. Why can't he let us make him write something else other than "Happy Hacking"?

Because he made it, so he can choose what he writes. If you order him to do so, you're treating him as a slave. You're free to modify and redistribute it though.

Windows is proprietary.

fuck stallman

Backdoor and 0day in all Post UEFI Lenovo ThinkPad and Firmware!
endchan.xyz/tech/res/4409.html

Does anybody know any thinkpad models with a non-soldered cpu, gpu, and ram? I was hoping to buy a cheap one and then upgrading it.

What did you expect? They use Intel hardware.

That OS is proprietary.

Calm down mate. I use 9front too but there's no need to be an ideologue

none, next time fucking google it

You're a fucking idiot, aren't you. You don't know shit about firmware

Good thing I got that good BIOS Core 2 Duo thinkpad!

There are no thinkpads with an non-soldered CPU

use google

you usually can't replace the gpu

I bought into this meme and got myself an X60, one of the earlier models.

What are some hardware upgrades or mods I can implement on it?

Pretty sure there isn't a limit
Not knowing about thinkwiki
Not knowing about thinkwiki
Being this NEET
Where there's a will there's a way.
Also, congratulations. You're a homo.

Being this stupid.
I replaced the T2330 in my R61i (actually a great machine for being an "R") with a T8100. Shit is cache. But you can only do this with the later motherboard revision.

I know about the thinkwiki, but some of the information on there is disputable. I think the maximum RAM is 4GB, but on the thinkwiki, it's only 3. I think the maximum disk space is 300 or so, but thinkwiki says it's only 120 or so.

Also, I bought thermal paste and I don't have anything else to use it on since I'm a poorfag living in destitution as is. Thinkpad CPUs are soldered on and I don't even know how to access it even when I open up its guts.

t-thanks

NEW QUESTION

Could I switch out an X60's motherboard into another X60? I ask because I want a slightly better CPU.

You are incorrect, sir.
But nice troll.

The hard drive sizes listed on thinkwiki are the sizes they originally shipped with. I put a 640GB hard drive in MY GIRLFRIEND's X61s. I am 100% sure a 1TB drive would work fine.
Protip: Learn about how computers work.

The CPU is socketed, not soldered, it can be replaced. You can use any socket m cpu up to a C2D 7600.

Ram is limited to 3gb by the chipset, no matter how much you install.

No limit to HDD size, but iit's only sata1, so the speed boost from an ssd would be minimal.

dumpy laptop signed by a dumpy human

nobody anywhere is jealous of your chinkpad

They're unfortunately the best you can do for x86 libre laptops.

I have an x220 with a 120GB mSATA SSD and a 320GB HDD, with Linux Mint XFCE, and I like it a lot. However, even after replacing the cooling fan and thermal paste, temperatures go up like crazy while playing simple games like Torchlight and E.Y.E.

For work and study, though, this machine is unbeatable: great keyboard, thinklight, portability and battery life make this the best laptop I've ever had.

I'm a little jealous, albeit I am a nobody.

I just wish RMS had better handwriting and a cool signature.

All of the T6x/X6x series that I've encountered have socketed CPU and RAM, but soldered GPUs. Might be too old for you though, since the best you'll get in it is a high-end C2Q.

They've patched this

(well, that exploit anyway, not Intel's typical bacldooring)

That's pretty much every laptop for you

I just wish it had at least 1600x900

Isn't the bottleneck from spinning rust from seek time? In that case wouldn't SSDs still be better even if it's not near its full potential? As in, wouldn't the OS still feel snappy even if copying files still takes a while?

That's how it is on SATA 2 at least

Replaced the harddrive in my x200 for an ssd - the thing flies

Yeah, you're kind of right.

I've thought about setting up a desktop PC for games, or an eGPU (with a decent low profile GPU) for my Thinkpad, but there are very few PC exclusive modern games that would actually make the investment worth it.

I would like to play E.Y.E. on max settings, though.

The difference is stunning.

Likewise.

I have an X60 with an Intel Core Duo (1.83GHz, T2400)

I've tried googling, but how do I figure out what its microarchitecture(?) is so I can start playing around with operating systems. I think it's i386, but on the off-chance it's an x64, then some installation instructions for an encrypted install of Parabola would be fool-proof. But I'm a huge fool and this question is no doubt retarded.

All Core 2s are x86-64

he has a Core 1 Duo, so 32 bit in his case

Flashed libreboot on an x200 with a bus pirate last week and applied new thermal paste. Feels good.

Next step is to install the new keyboard, take a magic eraser to the rest of the plastic to clean it and remove some light scuffs, get a 9-cell, and maybe even get a new screen for it (I might try the screen mod.)

Like new, it will probably only cost less than $275 in the end: picked the laptop up, working, for $90.

Just got my first ThinkPad

I feel bad for your keyboard

lol you kids

enjoy your proprietary software microshill

Do you know what Duo means?

you're too far gone to save. RIP

Does the revision matter if I want to replace my 7260 N wireless card with the 7260 AC without having to remove the Wi-Fi Whitelist? Can only find the rev 2 in Sweden.

You should just remove the whitelist, I don't think there's really any cons to doing it, besides being able to use whatever you want in the pcie slots.

Just got my T420 two days ago. Haven't had the chance to get it signed yet.

You cocked up. The Libreboot-compatible ones are the T400 and T500. However they aren't ideal because some of them don't work, and actually getting to the flash chip requires a lot of disassembly.

Stallman doesn't want to abolish property he wants you to actually own the property you buy.
He possibly believes this.
I don't believe he believes this.
He doesn't believe this.
I am unsure of his position on national banks.
I believe he believes heavily in free communication.
This isn't super objectionable.
Stallman doesn't believe this.
Stallman doesn't believe this.
Stallman may believe in free education but he doesn't believe in child slave labour.

why don't you flash libreboot if you have the model with core 2 duo?

It's against, he does all his stuff cash in hand except airport flights, which require a credit card.

The laptop is still under warranty until January 2018 so I don't want to void it.

It's against because they're able to track you, he does all his stuff cash in hand except airport flights, which require a credit card and he deems that a necessary evil in order to spread free software.

It's against because they're able to track you, he does all his stuff cash in hand except airport flights, which require a credit card and he deems that a necessary evil in order to spread free software.

That doesn't mean he's against banks. I'm sure he keeps money in banks, he just withdraws it as cash instead of paying it directly.

So Holla Forums I was working on a t61p. I was testing if the board was truly bad. First I thought that I should check if the powerjack was working. I got my oscilloscope out. I plugged a jumper cable into the middle pin of the powerjack plug (it's a v+). I was getting my oscilloscope ready when I let go of the jumper cable and it touched the metal frame of board. It arced and left a mark. So I know the jack works. The question is: is everything fucked?

Gee, why not put it back together, fire it up and let us know?

Who /T420/ here?

eh, the early Lenovo models (420 and before) more less follow the IBM design philosophy.

Not really. The *201 were the last really good Lenovo models.

Update: It's fucked.

I respectfully disagree.

agreed

The RAM on any of the good models is replacable.
I've heard the CPU on the 430/420 is replacable.
The gpus are never replacable if they have one at all, BUT most Thinkpads have an expresscard port on them, which you can connect an external GPU/eGPU to (which is how I make my vidya work on my x220t, along with a GPU Passthrough setup)

all non-modern thinkpads are limited to 2TB you retard

Thanks IBM, you're a pain in the ass.

You're full of shit Wintard

It's called security. So yeah.

So if it's a Coreboot or Libreboot model would installing that bypass the supervisor password, it'd probably be more sensible to do that if it does? Alternatively if you know who was gonna dump them could you ask for the passwords?

as an actual communist I can 100% guarantee you the "Stallman is a communist meme" isn't true

Nope. It's stored in a separate chip, not the BIOS.
Read all about it:
ja.axxs.net/read_this_first!.htm

Stopped reading right there

I a democrat

lmao

Drawing anime titties and writing shitty code with ganoo plus loonix.
Thanks stallmanito.

t420s are inferior to pretty much every other thinkpad

-posted from librebooted t60 with a better screen, aspect ratio, ultrabay bat, and fullbodied magnesium rollcage. Have fun with your honeycombs

It's like you hate freedom or something.
nice digits and flag you nigger :^(

Thanks OP, I just lost my job

Mind sharing your wallpaper?

I broke my screen on the t420s and wondering if anyone could link me to a repair video. I'm too scare of screwing it up.

libertarianism is ancap for pussies.

Certain models of T420 have a gpu and cpu not soldered but the ram is.

nah, T420 is unsoldered CPU + ram. Graphics are built in (HD3000)

No there are some with an Nvidea gpu card in them that isn't soldered in. But those are hella rare.

I'm wanna buy my first thinkpad,is lenovo TP x201 a good choice?

depends, what do you plan on doing with your thinkpad and your budget.

mostly for programming/school stuff, if it capable to watch/streaming 720p movie, play some source game or dwarf fortress it would be nice but as long it has long battery life that will be enough. About budget, maybe under 500 dollar.

You are 100% mistaken nigga.

well, go on craiglist. I got myself a thinkpad t430s recently and it's it's pretty light weight and compiles my school shit quite fast with a i5-3320. The thinkpad t430 can be found used for 300$~

Overall I'd rather go with a thinkpad x220 in your case.It's lightweight and I beleive that the screen is also 720p like the t430s. try to get an SSD. the big difference is the keyboard which isn't a clsuter fuck in the x220. x220 is about ~250$ used. It can possibly be 300-350$~ depending on the CPU and SSD.

also
when it comes to battery life, It's pretty hard to guess considering it's used. I oonce had a thinkpad who could do 8hourd straight and the other did 3 hours.

I found an old T30 at Value Village for $7: the HDD was fucked, it had no network card, and the battery holds a charge for about 3 minutes. Would it even be worth fixing this thing up or should I just go fresh?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T420

What's the big thinkpad craze about? They seem kinda clunky, they look heavy, they have a goofy keyboard layout with a useless trackpoint etc.

I'm no apple fan but I think I'd much rather run my Linux on a macbook air with a 12h battery life whilst being light as a feather. Or just what I have now: simple HP probook. Nice and standard.

Why do people like thinkpads so much?

After getting used to it(20min~) people get 3/4 of the speed of a mouse. The look is heavy for most pre-2012 thinkpad but it's mostly for usuability & durability. The outside battery made it easier to grade it in your hand and being able to use it while standing. The mechanical keyboard is more comfortable for the finger and by the layout it's easier the used to the point you easily stop looking at your keyboard. The battery can reach the 12h or even more depending the battery you use. I was able to run a thinkpad x200 for probably 14 hours with no luminosity.I never actually got the need for itbut it was nice. It's also for the price considering that their high end laptop gets the most recent processor on the market and will always cost about 1.2k. Also, when buyed used, the price go down quite fast.