The american dream

hi gang

i'm a software engineer hoping to move to the US in the next year or so using work as a vector to get the necessary permits and whatever. i have the degree, a few years of working, industry experience on a pretty well regarded product and the references that go with it, i am a c/c++ programmer though im proficient in java+python and ok at ANTLR and c#/dotnet and various shit like that, linux and windows, cross compiling, multithreading etc. etc. (just giving you an idea of where im at). can anyone here who has done something similar or has knowledge give me some advice on basically anything and everything, how to get the ball rolling, where to look for positions, contacts, relevant paperwork and all that? appreciation in advance

webm not really related

Are you from

DESIGNATED

?

Protip: US is shit

Stay home Rajesh. We're full. And for the love of god, learn to use a toilet.

If you are a shitskin stay where you are.

Which cucked euro shithole are you from?

sorry, i forgot to mention the most important part, i am from australia and united kingdom (dual)

and i am white (sad days when i have to add that rather than just saying my homeland)

Programmers that can't properly capitalize and punctuate sentences are a huge red flag to me. Good programmers are so used to dealing with pedantic syntax checking that they do it naturally in other aspects of their life. You strike me as the typical H1B that we should throw into the ocean.

But then why the fuck are you using doublespaces?

my little finger is already fucked from camel casing, command keys and general use of 10000s of lines of codes; im not going to waste any extra energy for correct formatting on a comedy website. besides who needs to check for syntax when i have this handy vs plugin :^)

h1b you say anyway? ill look into it

This is incredibly vague. What type of work are you wanting to do? IT? Software? Web shit? If you know that then just google around for places in that area/industry around where you want to live and see what their job applications look like. You'll need a resume too with all your shit on it.

You're better off moving to a yurop country since you're of UK citizenship.
The american dream is dead, and it's alive and well in western yurop.

Because I'm doing things correctly, child of proportional fonts.

And I'd not "waste any extra energy" hiring you. If I need copypaste from stackoverflow from a guy that needs an IDE to get anything done I'll contact you.

yes carry on software stuff, ive been working on an AI mainly targeted at 'big data', online analytics etc. i was thinking more about the actual process of working my way into the country, what kind of visa do i need, referees etc. rather than a particular job or area to work in

maybe, but id like to explore america anyway (just visit a lot of it) and the best way to do that is from within and id also like to not get converted to islam so

you dont have to, just tell me how to get in

bump

The way it works is you get a job first, then the company sponsors a visa application, which will be tied to the job (the visa can be moved from company to company, but if you ever have no job, you will have to leave the country). Australians can get an E-3 visa which is similar to the H-1B but there are no caps and you can get it any time instead of just once a year.

It's very hard to apply for jobs from overseas. One option would be getting a Masters degree in CS (e.g. with focus on machine learning given ), then you can search for jobs during and after the degree. That will also be expensive since Masters degrees only rarely give financial aid.

Since you aren't a designated street-shitter:

Just apply for a position as you would for any other job. Make up a new resume, get your references/recs together, and go for whatever you like.

aha i see, do employers considering overseas people normally say that as part of the ad or do i just throw my hand in and see what comes out?(id like to avoid cover letter overhead though) ill look into the e3, will a masters be necessary? i already have two bscs (one in CS) and now a few years industry experience

You are already qualified for an E3 (which requires essentially no qualifications) or an H-1B visa (which requires roughly a bachelors in CS for a programmer).

Employers will sometimes say whether they are offering to sponsor a visa or not, I can't remember the details. Big companies will mostly sponsor a visa. Startups will balk at the cost sometimes.

A masters degree is very helpful, especially if you are interested in working in machine learning or data science. It is also convenient to do internships and job searches while in the country.

you won't get in. just forget it.

there. i saved you thousands of dollars and probably saved you from depression. it is just not gonna happen. your best bet would be to marry a citizen.

just read the thread.

you are a uk/aus citizen. get the fuck off. there are millions of people that would kill to live in any of those places.

just gtfo.

The inflated living costs alone will wipe out those salary figures that look so attractive from the outside, and then you'll be left in a police state with no familiar faces to support you.

Why the fuck would you want to move to the US if you have passports for those countries? If you want to explore it that bad just get a travelers visa which is easy as fuck to get if you're a UK citizen.

Unless you're THAT good that some major company is ready to move mountains to get a hold of you and pay for every expense on the way, then it's not worth it.

i see, thanks very much

sorry pajeet but i have things to do in the states

the us is actually better in those regards than the uk/aus

i like to move around and experience things

The American dream was never anything more than a lie to cloud people's judgement and prevent them from seeing the bigger picture with lofty promises that only a select few could ever get lucky enough to achieve.