Legacy Operating Systems

Does anyone here run old OS's for fun on a spare machine or in a VM? It's really nice how resource efficient they are. I'm posting this from Windows 2000 in VirtualBox. Is it way better than I remember, or has Micro$oft just really gotten that much worse?

I also tried to set up Windows 98 and Mandrake 7.0, but they weren't cooperating for whatever reason.

Share your experiences or tips with running old operating systems in CURRENT YEAR here.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/l7vj6bj0t9vocx5/ie6sp1en.rar)
dropbox.com/sh/arouu2dzqfhwgtj/AACqea3x7uL27TqABpSKPwsAa/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/891861/Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE?dl=0)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475055283/Archive/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/891861/Windows2000-KB891861-v2.reg)
w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm
drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FCQSJCAH3KdnJJWUxJMHNBWXM/edit)
dropbox.com/sh/arouu2dzqfhwgtj/AACB0FVrBopRkLyct9jio0bsa/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/951748/Windows2000-KB951748-V2-x86-ENU.EXE?dl=0)
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html
msfn.org/board/topic/163385-bluetooth-stacks-for-w98/
youtube.com/watch?v=vxPUFDVDIIU
github.com/Drenn1/ems-flasher
youtube.com/watch?v=YPP-RhYWCUs
eab.abime.net/
lemonamiga.com/forum/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I had a Debian stable VM. :^)

How about you post this thread a few more times, faggot.

Also there's literally zero reason to use this garbage.

Lel. Truly the most ancient software.

Wasn't Windows 2000 really just OS/2 with a Windows GUI put onto it? That would explain why it's not total shit.

one proper noun and a word. Blackwingcat's kernelex.

I have an old ZX Spectrum and Amiga 500 for messing around with. It's pretty comfy.
If you're using a Spectrum or any old computer that takes casettes, you can take the MP3 file the casette plays and play it to the computer through your phone. There are also ways to encode the data better, so you can load a game in 30 seconds at most.

I've got a T22 with 2k on it, but I can't figure out anything to do with it.

I'll have to try it. Doesn't it give compatibility with XP or something? That would be perfect, as most software seemed to drop win2k support a few years ago, while XP still has a lot of support.

Well, 512 MB is more than enough RAM for a shitpost machine running 2k.

i upgraded my R30 with windows 2k to 2gb of ram and a 1ghz pentium III
works as a decent shitposting machine, even has a wireless card

It adds a shit ton of functions that basically make it equivalent to server 2003, and even adds some functions newer than that. It's also being actively developed, so you could request functions if needed.

That's awesome. I tried to run it, but apparently I need to upgrade internet explorer to version 6 for some reason, and I have no idea how to do that.

Step 1: Install IE6SP1 from this link (mediafire.com/download/l7vj6bj0t9vocx5/ie6sp1en.rar)
Step 2: Install the Windows 2000 SP4 Update Rollup 1 (dropbox.com/sh/arouu2dzqfhwgtj/AACqea3x7uL27TqABpSKPwsAa/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/891861/Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE?dl=0) and apply this(dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475055283/Archive/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/891861/Windows2000-KB891861-v2.reg) registry patch
Step 3: Apply the April 2016 Root Certificate Update Patch by Blackwingcat (w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm (press manual update, then search "roots")
Step 4: Apply KB2722912(has something to do with IE6, not exactly sure what) (drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FCQSJCAH3KdnJJWUxJMHNBWXM/edit)
Step 5: Install the DNS Client Update(dropbox.com/sh/arouu2dzqfhwgtj/AACB0FVrBopRkLyct9jio0bsa/Windows2000/Updates/Windows/951748/Windows2000-KB951748-V2-x86-ENU.EXE?dl=0)
Step 6: Install KernelEX core, which updates internal kernel functions(IE: not things that are linked to by standard programs) (go to blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html and look for 16a at the bottom of the post)
Step 7: Install KernelEX, which provides the actual extended kernel functions(go to blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html and look 26d in the middle of the post)

XP Pro x64 dual boot

I run Windows 2000 for various stuff. Right now I'm using it do program some DOS stuff just for shits and giggles.

I have another Windows 95 one. At one point, I wanted to see how much of an effort it would be to compile my software on everything from 95 to Windows 8.1 (Not hard at all actually if you use minGW)

There's a new KernelEx? Is this the 98 one, or is this a new Windows 2000 one?

Thank you!

It's developed by a different person, and is separate.

Play Hover! on it. Truly best game of the 90s

Shit I loved playing that as a kid.

Since we're on the subject of older games, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of "tanktics"?

I had a T42 with W2K + KernelEx on it. It didn't run very well if I recall. I installed Windows 98SE on it and everything seems to be working except for the Bluetooth drivers.

Has anyone here been able to get Mac emulation working well? I'm talking from about System 7 through OS 9 and Rhapsody. I kind of want to try them because they seem supremely less homosexual than modern OS X, but emulating them is proving to be more challenging than I thought.

I run XP on a desktop.

I'm a mid-90's fag and it was my first OS. Doing it both for nostalgia, and so my skills with Wangblows don't deteriorate.

Try these:

msfn.org/board/topic/163385-bluetooth-stacks-for-w98/

I have one, too, but I don't know if I consider XP a legacy OS when it still has more market share than Windows 8 and 10 barely has more top kek

Shogo is the best game from the '90s.

Booted up my Windows XP machine today and looked around. Found papers I wrote for school all the way back in 5th grade. What a nostalgia trip. I'm going to install Q4OS to make the pc usable, but I think I'll make it a dual boot for the sake of the memories.

I want to g

My phone always does this shit. Posts while im halfway through typing. FFS.

I want to build a m68k computer to run a basic desktop

Nope, Windows 2000 was essentially Windows XP before a Fisher-Price interface was added.

Stop hitting the post button with your sausage fingers, fatty.

I use dosbox for old dos games and win3.1 games, it's fun

windows 7 on a vm for shit that does not work on linux most of the time

and soon winXP64 VM for old direct x 8 games that do not run well any more on my win8 big rig

Thinly veiled Windows shill thread

I have a Windows XP Service Pack 3 Image that I sometimes like to boot on my Android Device with Bochs

What's cool about Bochs is that it is very customizable via the bochsrc file, you can even boot disks in volatile mode so no changes you make are saved to the image, very useful when you want to sandbox test shit without having to resort to making a bunch of backup images

I have OS X 10.5 on VMWare but you can do OS 8 and 9 on Sheepshaver and System 7 on vMac.

Right now I have OS/2 Warp 4, Windows 98 and BeOS in a VM and will boot them from time to time. I used NT 4 as a primary OS experiment back in 2011 with minimal problems.

oy vey how dare someone talk about technology that isn't linux

are you retarded?

How is BeOS anyway? I haven't had the chance to ever try it, and I only played around with Haiku for about 15 minutes one time.

All of you are uncultured swine.

non free software ladies & gentlemen

Do you guys know of anyone that makes videos of old and obscure operating systems like this, maybe with some narration?
youtube.com/watch?v=vxPUFDVDIIU

when i get another one of those connectors i'm gonna wrap this fucking thing with several layers of isolator tape

I have a Windows XP VM that I set up so I could use the flashing software for pic related. It requires a driver that only works on XP and no other version. Someone else made a FOSS Linux version, but it doesn't support multiple roms.

I ended up using the VM for other stuff that didn't work in WINE, like Doom Builder and Worlds.com. I'm thinking of eventually getting a dedicated machine for Windows 98 and DOS gaymen. Sometimes I run FreeDOS from a usb disk, but you can pretty much only get sound besides the PC Speaker/buzzer if you have an ISA Soundblaster so a dedicate machine is the way to go. The IBM 300PL would probably be a good machine to go with for a Win98 and FreeDOS dualboot.

I have an old palm pilot. Is there anything fun or cool I can do with it? What should I do with it? It still works.

The Linux version does support multiple ROMs.
Not that I actually use anything other than LSDJ anyway though.

On the same page? Don't you have to make the multirom/menu yourself?

It's all here. If it's missing anything I doubt it'd be hard to implement.
github.com/Drenn1/ems-flasher

I think I'm going to dual boot it with Q4OS. Trinity is super light, and it would make a great shitposting machine. Just picked up a wireless adapter for it today. All I need to do is defrag XP and install. Not going to wipe away XP because muh nostalgia and also Space Cadet pinball.

Fuck, browser didn't display replies properly and I didn't know I already posted that.

Sage because I already gave this an unnecessary bump I guess.

Totally, posting from a G5 with 10.4 on it right now, also dailying an SGI Visual Workstation with 2K on it, a ThinkPad with NT 4 and a Vectra 486ST with DOS 5/Win 3.1.

It's fun making old stuff useful again.

Microsoft used their "half" of OS/2 in NT but it is not really the same system, and you can't run OS/2 software on NT (and vice versa), it's actually supposedly more similar to VMS with Windows-isms bolted on, since Microsoft poached a lot of DEC engineers for the project.

How is the G5 with 10.4? I've heard PowerPC has some issues with browsing the internet now. Is there a fix to it? I have an old PowerPC mac mini somewhere I'd like to play around with.

Mac OS 9 on an iMac G3 with a bunch of RAM is a supreme computing experience. So fucking fast if you use appropriate software and stay off the interbuttz.

I imagine in the future, people will wonder why legacy operating systems weren't written in Rust, and then they'll set out to rewrite every single one of them in Rust to make it so.

my main OS is based on electromechanical typewriter protocols invented 70 years ago

Nostalgia.

Hahah

But Mac OS 9 has Sherlock 2!
It was made for the internet!

enjoy your lack of protected memory

Because it's fun. It can also be handy to have an old machine around if you find something that calls for older hardware like a printer port or a floppy drive. And lot of old games won't easily work on new machines no matter what you do.

So I installed kernelex, but I'm still having issues installing things. I'm getting errors telling me that I need Windows XP SP 2. I checked under the properties and there's no option to change compatibility for the executable. Not sure what's going on here, but I'm very confused.

This

I keep a .7z of windows 3.1 so that I can load up After Dark screensavers once every couple of years when I feel nostalgic.

Or that little kitten that follows my cursor.

Or Tiny Elvis. Man, take a look at that icon! Man, that sucker's huge!

Lol wut?

>>>/g/

My OS 9-native 2003 MDD G4 with GF4ti finally died all the way last year, I'm still contemplating whether to get another one or emulate.

There's a fork of Firefox called TenFourFox especially designed for PPC OSuX 10.4-10.5, there's also a (much less frequently updated and less modern) version of Mozilla from the same dude called Classilla for OS 8.6-9.2.2.

How is Haiku? I was always really jealous of Be users before they went belly up, and a lot of Haiku's features sound really cool, but from what I hear Haiku is somehow still lacking basic functionality compared to even AmigaOS and RiscOS clones. Stuff like mobo chipset support, accelerated graphics, and modern compiler toolchains.

I got OPENSTEP 4.2 to run perfectly on a early 2000s HP desktop (P4) with color output, sound, and networking... on a 'huge' 8 gig partition.

The only thing gained: a renewed hatred for floppies, a pure sort of hate that I haven't experienced in years.

beat me to creating a new meme out of this jewel.
let me guess, you visit #fsf and found that image on metronews

Asides from slackware, what are some old/nostalgic GNU distros?

Lindows maybe? Aside from that, probably anything running fvwm95 or kde prior to version 3 (three was the last non-bloat version and lives on in the trinity desktop). I would say GNOME 1 but GNOME 1 sucked.

Hello lads, I'm installing windows XP on an old computer right now in order to play me some Diablo II.
Could not get wine to compile on my Gentoo system. I've changed so many flags and masks on that thing that I will likely have to do a hard reinstall.
It has been ~15 minutes an it is at 7%.
Was the XP install always this slow?

Sorry, that is just the formatting which is this slow.
The install part hasn't even started.
Jesus Christ, maybe because it's a 1TB HDD?

You're doing a quick format, right?

No, I avoid (quick) menu choices by possible because it usually involves losing customization.

by habit*

Now at 17%. This is a really slow formatting.
Should I just restart and do the quick format?

Fuck it I'm restarting and will do the quick format.
It's almost 2 and I thought I would start D2 by 1:40.

Wow, the quick partition took 10 seconds, now it's installing the OS.
YAY!

It failed... to start the OS.
Maybe I should've continued with the slow partition?

The slow format is going to take hours on a 1TB drive and I'm pretty sure all it does is zero out the drive before formatting.

IIRC there is a hard limit to hard disk size in 32 bit systems.

A 1 TB drive seems excessive for XP just to play Diablo II on you should totally play Civilization 3 while you're at it. I had tons of games on my old XP desktop and never even got close to filling up my 150 GB IDE drive.

Yeah, I switched to an old 160GB hdd and everything is working now.
Got to outer cloister and am going to bed now.
I don't think it was the 1TB drive itself that was causing problems, but that I was unplugging it at boot and then plugging it in after the XP cd started because the bios wouldn't allow the USB keyboard to work, meaning it wouldn't boot from the cd when I clicked any key.
The thing is, by plugging in the HDD while XP install cd is loading, it does allow me to install XP on the HDD, but then the OS won't boot properly when the system restarts.
So since thins happened with the 160GB HDD, I realized it was because of my plugging in the HDD while the install cd was loading that was causing the issue.
So I just found a ps2 keyboard and was able to press any key at boot to force the install CD to boot while the HDD is plugged in.
I had changed the bios setting to start with the CD drive but it still required this 'press any key' to boot from CD, otherwise it tried to boot from HDD.
It is a biostar mobo if that matters. Are they usually shit?

never heard of it

Fuck, I was considering reversing parts of MS-DOS just for fun. Now I think I'll try to rewrite it in rust instead of c because fuck you.

Q4OS (I think it's called). It's a distro based on trinity. Looks and feels pretty nostalgic.

Nah, Sciencealert. It's okay, we can meme together, my new friend.

There's a lot that interface designers could learn from old MacOS, but the underpinnings of the system are best left in the past.

Sort of. The scheduler on a lot of VAX-derived OSs like *N*X & Windows NT is poorly suited to interactive use. They compare poorly not just to the classic Mac System or DOS, but lots of other more technologically advanced microcomputer OSs such as AmigaOS, RiscOS, Symbian, QNX, OS-9, BeOS, etc…

well way back in the day there was softlanding linux system (SLS) and yggdrasil and umm probably others and then slackware and redhat.

slackware was originally marketed as "for a soft landing from SLS"

Check on winworldpc. They have a few to check out.

The unexpanded ZX-81 can load games pretty fast from tape, when they're only 1 KB. For example: youtube.com/watch?v=YPP-RhYWCUs
But the more data you have lot load, the longer it takes. How can an audio codec reduce the time? After all, it's the raw audio that's being transfered, not the encoded version. Are you playing it back at an accelerated rate or something? Some dual tape decks would let you dub at higher speed, but I guess the computer would need to have a way to set the baud rate it's expecting to receive.

Pic (Workbench 1.3) is my happy fuzzy wuzzy OS, but I haven't owned an Amiga for ages, so I'm stuck with UAE.

Has anybody had any luck with BeOS or OS/2? I've been thinking of trying them out but I want to know if it's possible to get a decent web browser on them at all.

I actually really like legacy OS's.

My boss lent me his old imac that runs Mac OS9.1 and I really like it. I wanna use it to run old games like Marathon on it.

I really like it as an operating system and I'm really excited to see what differences the applications I'm used to have with it.

You can change the load routine on computer to more efficient one and load compressed game and depack it.

I love how it teases you about all the work you did that will be lost forever once you click "restart"

I have an A500 in my attic, but a large number of the old floppies seem to have gone bad...

I need to get hold of a new copy of Workbench

OS/2 is sort of hit and miss, Firefox past 4 is unstable, but eComStation gets its own maintained port of Mozilla's ESR branches. The WebKit browser from Haiku got backported to BeOS but it's barebones.

Ask on one of these forums:
eab.abime.net/
lemonamiga.com/forum/
Someone will probably be willing to mail you some floppies. Make sure to say what machine you have, and version of WB you need (even the language, if it's not english).

I just went through all this, and everything seems to be working pretty good so far.
I actually tried installing a game on it, but fucked up because the game requires a 64bit system, hurdur

Install TempleOS, it's pure 64-bit.

But I don't want to talk to god.

I'm surprised this thread isn't gone yet, and I'm surprised that Holla Forums still knows it was me that posted that.

an elephant man never forgets