Mobile/embedded industry thread

1. PREPARE FOR FINNPOSTING

Microsoft has been slowly trying to extricate itself from it's abortive half assed stumble into the mobile business for a while now, and a fresh round of job cuts at nokia shows a new focus in this direction. Be on the lookout for emigre Finns with their pants sticky with ES when they can't find somebody to meme on.

inquisitr.com/3133813/microsoft-windows-phone-dead/

such a shame that after nokia there's no other Finnish mobile companies that would hire people with backgrounds working with legacy harmattan and maemo software.

jolla.com/jolla/

That wasn't actually sarcastic irony: unfortunately Jolla has failed in expanding business into the tablet market announcing a closure of their tablet project and thus far managing to return roughly 80% of the crowdfunding and venture capital. Not a great time to send in a resume.

With mozilla moving to smartTV, samsung's tizen being mostly a bargaining chip against google, the mantle of being "THE" alternative GNU based mobile os largely falls on ubuntu's shoulders.

Among the AOSP-based roms Cyanogen remains the heavyweight, having elbowed out its contemporary competition. However CopperheadOS announced plans to work with the free software only F-droid app repository and the Guardian project to produce a fully free and secure android rom. Time will tell if a rom without GAPPS can make an impact.

deepdotweb.com/2016/04/03/copperhead-guardian-project-f-droid-partner-build-secure-mobile-ecosystem/
f-droid.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

gatesnotes.com/Books
seekingalpha.com/article/3977387-qualcomm-benefiting-intels-retreat-smartphone-processors
androidcentral.com/why-arent-more-oems-using-intel-their-android-phones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think its less Microsofts fault for failing to get into mobile and more Intel/AMDs fault for not making any decent kind of mobile hardware until 2013, which is pretty fucking late in the game but its not too late I think, because x86 phones and tablets are starting to pickup momentum in Chinese markets which is still largely untapped

Microsoft tried taking matters into their own hands by marketing Windows RT as a sort of desktop-class OS for ARM but they didn't fool anyone with their lack of x86 app suppprt

Microsoft made a HUGE mistake trying to build their "unified windows OS" across desktops and smartphones in fucking 2012.

Had they stuck with developing separate products like android/chrome or osx/ios, it might have been possible to gain some handhold in the market which could then be slowly transitioned to unified architecture. But even Android and iOs (and Ubuntu) aren't to this point today, the tech and interaction design simply aren't there. People need time to learn a design/UX language and set of standards, once popular or ubiquitous enough the "back end" can be changed without fucking everything up.

Instead we got stuck with "Windows 8 for phones."

In Microsoft's defence, not that it deserves any, windows phone 8 was the unpopular successor to a line of unpopular devices and software that had been getting their asses kicked way back when all they had to worry about was featurephone bricks.

Secondly windows 8 got it's UI from WP7 not the other way around.

Good riddance.

Fuck I remember those days, I still don't know for sure if it was genuine shilling (They wouldn't be THAT unsubtle right? RIGHT?!) or concentrated pisstaking from proto-Freech users to mine salt from Android users who were undoubtedly the majority (and still are)

They spent almost a billion on advertising this shit. Some filenames were 'media_campaign' or 'promotionalmedia'. You'd do a reverse image search on them and find the same images on other sites with posts declaring their genuine love for it. Best in class.

Some tech news sites even complained about the constant shilling in their comment section after posting a negative review of the phone and checked up on the IP addresses. It lead back to a Microsoft building in India.

At around the same time Microsoft unveiled an infograph image of online communities; 4chan was in there. On Holla Forums there was constant shilling for MS products as well(exact same perfect dark thread every day for a month). Even /p/ had a dozen Nokia threads about the 41mp phone camera(where it was laughed at for shit ISO due to high sensor density, tiny garbage lens and shooting speed of 1 picture every 5 seconds).

These people are paid per post, they have a script to paste from. They don't care.

I also remember Holla Forums and Holla Forums were getting bombarded with duplicate b8 threads for months

Its really easy to forget, but forum sliding is a very real thing and so is product shilling, all we can do is constantly remind people so they look out for it

do you have one of those from the "Moto/G/" shilling?

Nokia sold their phone business for billions and bought it back for millions

Jolla Phone NA release NEVER EVER
;_;

BILL GATES ON SUICIDE WATCH

He's not really involved in MS as much anymore though, he's too busy giving children curing Malaria and AIDS

is anybody working on getting GNU/linux onto a mobile device not a faglord spewing buzzwords and trying to build a

BRAND IDENTITY

?

Don't understand why people think they have to put up with ARM and their lack of unifying standard

gatesnotes.com/Books

I bought a Lumia 920 in 2012. There were some things I really liked about it, but eventually I switched to an Android phone.

I liked the design and build of the phone. It was pretty sleek looking, and it survived numerous drops without any significant damage.

I thought the interface looked a lot better than Android or iOS, and I liked the live tiles.

It took really great photos and videos. I rapidly came to prefer it over my digital point-and-shoot.

The phone always felt snappy, and it had a great wireless chip in it.

Also, I got the wireless charger, and that was super neat.

Downsides for me were no way to encrypt the phone, no Tor, VPN options were limited, no choice of browsers, etc. Mostly crypto/privacy/lemme do what I want with my phone stuff.

I gave the phone to my mom and it's still going strong, and she likes it. For normies, it's great.

Oh well.

What hasn't he already done that he could be doing though? He's already pledged to give like a third of his fortune to charity or something like that as well

Its almost bittersweet having so much money, so much you don't even know what to do with it even after you think you've done it all

And they still have all their patents to fall back on and give them an edge with features once they finally release some android phones to market

because not even lenovo is trying to make intel based smartphones anymore?

seekingalpha.com/article/3977387-qualcomm-benefiting-intels-retreat-smartphone-processors

having said that, intel mobile chipsets perform a shitload better in Holla Forums applications than qualcomms, but that's not where demand is.

androidcentral.com/why-arent-more-oems-using-intel-their-android-phones

tbh I'd rather see gentoo emerge running on $50 generic chinese knockoffs than super specific intel chipsets.

Which is really fucking retarded and depressing because x86-64 based smartphones are significantly faster and more open than locked down shit while having comparative prices and battery life as well, its not even a question, x86-64 processors are just superior to ARM in nearly every way

I think Intel/Microsoft just fail really hard on marketing, Microsoft releases a really gimped mobile version of their shit while Intel supports it and Android x86

Maybe its part of some grand conspiracy to force people into using locked down shit without any compatibility standards

And the articles are incredibly misleading as well, Intel will continue their Atom SoC line and they also do in fact have integrated GPUs. Which are far more powerful than any Adreno

I think there's also something to do with Qualcomms marketing, they market their SoCs as some new shiny expensive state-of-the-art chips when in reality they're struggling to catch up to Intel who spends far more on R&D and has a far superior architecture

I just wish Intel's integrated graphics we're better performing. Especially on the Atom series where you expect to not have a dedicated GPU. As it stands their best integrated ones are only available on their higher end desktop processors where they really aren't needed.

Intel Atom HD graphics GPUs are literally the same ones used for desktop just with slightly less execution cores, performance wise they compete with Nvidias Tegra 4 GPUs despite being somewhat cheaper to make, they even compete with AMD A4 APUs for that matter

If its any consolation I'm currently using an Intel Atom Tablet, it plays TF2 at 1920x1200 with high textures, models, and shaders no problem

doubtful.

I think mint has more chance

because you make more money by making a 'new revolutionary processor' every 4-6 months

he knows exactly what to do with it, world conquest takes time

Friendly reminder that they gave the same fucking tiled UI to Windows 2012 SERVER EDITION

iirc Windows Server has a text-only interface as well

you mean ubuntu in virtual box?