/r/ Economic Indicators

Hey guys. A while ago someone posted an infographic that had 9 graphics titled something like "Economic Indicators", that basically just showed how completely inescapably fucked we are.

I can't really find this anywhere. I should have saved it. Does anyone have it?

Or if not that specific one, please post any graphs/infographics/videos/whatever related to the economy, particularly with a focus on how terrible things have gotten over the last 8 years

Other urls found in this thread:

feasta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Trade-Off1.pdf
data.worldbank.org/
tradingeconomics.com/currencies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Are you sure the picture wasn't from a dream? I get confused sometimes too between Holla Forums real and dream Holla Forums.

I don't have infographics but I can help you connect some dots.

I'm an entrepreneur. Like a lot of my ilk, I'm in the tech/software industry. Unlike my peers, I detest venture capital and think our business is monstrously over-hyped.

Look at he valuation or market cap of some tech companies:
This is down from a $33 Billion market cap at one point

Now let's look at some other companies by valuation or market cap.

So think about this. Tech has a place and it's important, but do you think it's REALLY worth that much? My thesis is as follows:
Tech companies are the recipients of largess from investors and VC firms, themeselves connected to hedge funds and investment banks which have been growing fat off of QE and other reckless money creation policies.

The growth in the money supply is finding its way into one sector more than others: investment. The way that money makes it to companies is via VC and hedge funds playing in the tech sector- at least primarily.

The boom in tech is completely artificial. The valuation of these companies is either the result of reckless investment or criminal collusion. Moreover, look at the spending in these companies. Look at how Air BnB is spending its cash: flashy offices, large and heavily staffed offices around the world. They're not profitable yet, remember that. They don't need these huge offices, they only need law firms on retainer in the countries within which they operate, maybe some native language speakers at their home office in the US or via a call center agency.

So here's the really subversive thing- it's nurtured a very unhealthy culture among entrepreneurs. Every accelerator, every young CEO, everyone thinks they need venture capital. Everyone thinks they need to leech off of a VC firm and use their money to hire overpriced MBA's to do business dev and dump money out to Microsoft, Facebook, etc. for software products, infrastructure, and advertising.

It's bullshit. There is a growing group of tech entrepreneurs who reject ALL of this. We use open source as often as possible to bring down costs, we try to wage our own marketing and PR campaigns, we reject VC money and advances, and we're aware of our own value.

I've spoken with some Venture Capital managers, they'll privately agree after a few drinks too. The companies doing the work themselves, trying to bootstrap, and being diligent with their spending are MUCH (in their estimation) more likely to succeed than their peers who immediately seek VC money before or as-of their Minimally Viable Product. Thus, that's why VC firms go after small companies like mine so hard.

I know others who can't get VC to return calls, I get calls out of the blue. I get drinks paid for at the bar during local entrepreneur events when they figure out who I am.

This is for a reason. VC is a tool. The owners know the valuations they give out are ridiculous in many cases, they don't care. They want their piece. The financial "class" wants their hands on the disruptive technologies and companies of the future without doing the legwork. They know they're playing with monopoly money and the crash is coming, thus they're hedging bets by buying up as much stake as possible in the companies that would lead an economic recovery- or at least weather the storm and come out functional.

A lot of facebooks value comes from the services it provides out of the public eye to governments and intel agencies.

The amount of info we pump into it about ourselves even when we try to avoid doing so, is simply absurd and extremely valuable.

I'll put it this way. Facebook is, at its core, a marketing and market research firm. It's acquired other businesses but that's its bread and butter.

You tell me. Is ANY market research and marketing firm worth $334 Billion, even one with the information and reach of Facebook?

Think about it. Also you're right, Faceberg does a lot of business with the government and people are dolts for using their "service"

One of OUR services requires people give up some personal info. We sell it too, after some number-crunching for the client companies. Know what though? Our Terms of Use and Conditions strictly state that the information may only be used for training, evaluation, organization, or other practices generally accepted as business or customer care related. We spent no small amount of money on lawyers ensuring our contract protects our users in case a client decides to give away the data on them we've sold. We protected ourselves too, but we chose to protect our users.

Unlike facebook, we offer users a tangible service that helps them. And no, we aren't a social media portal of any kind. We use their information as payment for the service and they know that. They know we sell their information, but they're also informed on signup that we protect them above all else but protecting our own asses. It's very clear in the Terms that we will not cooperate with any government or law enforcement entity short of a legally-issued warrant or express permission of the user him or herself.

I know it's a rant and kinda blogposting but Facebook strikes a nerve with me for the reasons outlined above.

I'd like to add for reference when you buy a service company like facebook you generally pay 8-10x it's net income. Facebook's net income is about $3 billion/yr so it's actual value is around $25-30 billion.

Well I'd certainly put facebooks value as higher than most market research firms.
Primarily because it's providing a level of information that is more on par with an intelligence agency.

As for 300+ billion?
I concur it is retarded.

i'm guessing its this pic?

USA is definitely fucked. Maybe Trump can pull things together, but then again they might crash the economy on purpose when Trump is elected just to ruin him.

This one?

BUT MUH ACA MADE HEALTHCARE CHEAPER!

I had to get obongocare for 2 months while I was unemployed to cover my wife and I so we didn't have to pay the retarded penalty fee. It cost over $600 a month. Of course the nigs get free coverage.

It's like me writing an article that's called "15 Ways In Which Mcdonalds Is Screwing You" where I show 15 different graphs each showing a separate menu item going up in price over 5 years.

I'm not saying we don't have economic problems in Obongo's America, but those graphs are misleading and retarded, and this is coming from an actual scientist.

Are you implying that a crash isn't imminent? It may be off by a year or so but it's fucking happening.

plenty of hype to go around as any happening thread, and plenty of stupidity, but I can assure you that there is a very, very serious happening going right now in global finance and the economy.
This isnt fringe anymore, and anyone that is minimally invested in following the markets is perfectly aware of this.
The only difference is in how much people expect the ammount of fallout that will come of this event.

Its also important to clarify that a financial/economic happening isnt some cartoonish event, where it happens all of a sudden and its over in a minute. "Crashes" arent the event but rather the blatantly obvious symptom.

Here, have an excellent text about the current issues in regards to global financial risk:
feasta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Trade-Off1.pdf

The graphs may be retarded and without sources, but the trends are definitely correct.

I agree absolutely, but the user asked for the image, and I provided it.

That I am.

user I'm very interested in both tech, finance and entrepreneurship, but, frankly, I'm too dumb to ask you any good questions, but I'm really interested to hear more. Is there anything more you could write on this subject?

I guess that makes you an idiot.

Well I never had my trunk packed full of canned beans so if that makes me a idiot I'll guess that's fine. Enjoy waiting on high for the end times.

Holy shit you absolutely - A N N I H I L A T E D - that happening fag.
praise Jesus man, praise him

They are, but it would be important to note that even if the trends are correct, they are correct as of 2014 which is where most of those graphs terminate. That would be another way in which they are misleading.

I've read several recent sources that seem to indicate that certain things are improving, however marginally.

I understand, I'm attacking the material, not you.

Umm… a lot of webservices are a scam. Some of the big guys offer good products at good prices, most are shit.

The government is the most onerous, shitty entity on the planet. For my peers not dealing with software and tech, regulation is stifling. Even in some tech, regulation can strangle a good business out of existence before it has a chance to grow. In innovative endeavors like pharmaceuticals and medical devices- you better have a war chest of at least half a million USD going into things or you'll NEVER get anywhere- and that's with a lawyer as a founding partner.

I know it sounds like a Libertardian thing to say but they're just RIGHT on almost all economic points. A nation's strength is its people but it's also its economy. We're allowing our traitorous government to strangle ours in the name of protecting the people they ignore, use, and despise.

I'm not even talking about federal, state and local governments can be even WORSE than the feds depending on your business.

That said, things are getting ridiculous. Trump has to know how awful things are, he's the only national level candidate who actually understands any of this at a REAL and URGENT level.

The Fed already saber rattled that they are going to crash the economy if/when Trump wins

We've basically entered an era of stagnation, we've become Japan

I know you will need to a lot of the lifting yourself but here are a couple of resources you van use to find out this info.

data.worldbank.org/

and

tradingeconomics.com/currencies

The second is interesting because you can see the money manipulation of certain governments in the past. Most notably during the formation of the EU, China during the 1980's and the recent financial crash. Getting good information is difficult if not impossible but it's there if you know where to look.

Except Japan has sound fundamentals and we don't. We have entered an era of decay.

Sociology isn't a science newfag

No other market research firm has information on over a billion people, though. Most of them just data mine with paid surveys or with tracking cookies and such, Facebook also gives much more complete information on a person than any other marketing firm I can think of, and that information can be used for any kind of social engineering not just marketing social engineering designed to sell things. I am honestly not surprised at Facebook's valuation, even if for whatever reason it failed as a business and was running at a loss it could rely on Alphabet soup to quietly bail them out so Government could keep datamining and building dossiers, apparently the CIA was trying to do what Zuckerberg did for decades but Zuckerberg realized you can just get dumb normies to share all their information themselves instead of creating an intrusive surveillance apparatus like NSA and CIA had been attempting.

The world financial system has been running on fumes since 2008, and it is not limited to the US, Japan certainly does not have sound fundamentals.

Not really, they've been stagnant since the 90s and they're being forced out of the export business by the Chinese and other south east asian countries

They're at the point of negative interest rates already to stay afloat

I'm a very small enterpreneur as well (in EUSSR), and earlier I worked as a senior dev for a local IT unicorn company.

I concur wholeheartedly, sadly.
The company I worked for earlier on had gathered 9 mil € of VC funds while having 0 income (0 income, no profit), no business model except "we will have lots users".
And still there's a lot of people craving for VC money and not even realizing that if they aren't careful they'll have nothing as soon as the bubble pops.

Japan is economically nationalist and built upon a sustainable foundation.

Something like, total global worth is ~$78 trillion. US Debt is ~$20 trillion. The derivatives market is worth ~$500 trillion

or

1 trillion in credit card debt. 1 trillion in student loan debt. 50% of Americans make less than 30k. 70% don't have 1k in savings.

Correct. It is a classic bubble.

Is there any way to short these reckless VC firms? What are the biggest VC firms for the tech sector in your experience with the stupidest investments in your experience? Is shorting the tech sector or at least their VC firms a good idea and how would I go about it?

Because of the risk involved and the fact that money to fuel the firms comes largely from private hands, VC firms are not publicly traded. I can't think of a single publicly traded VC firm- though my knowledge of them isn't extensive.

If you want to short, I can't give you a precise timetable but start to short the publicly traded tech that's overvalued or is still dependent on VC money- Twitter comes to mind as one of them but they've already lost a shitload of market cap and share price so that individual ship has sailed. No worries, others will come. Look into companies that had a recent IPO or are doing one in the near future, then look at their reports and valuations according to VC firms off of which they leech. That should be a solid start.

It's threads like this that make me lament our anonymity. I get its importance and wouldn't want to give it up, but it'd be nice to have some means of reaching out to fellow Holla Forumsacks in similar fields. We intend to do some marketing in Europe in the near future and it'd be nice to have contacts there who know more about how business is done than we do.

Hell, it'd be nice to build a business network of Holla Forumsacks period.
We could have ALL of that and more if we just connected and worked together.

The real shame is that Jews or their SJW pets would immediately try to infiltrate and tear it down. Then again, it's a shame we don't reach for such power out of fear for the consequences. Damn, shame.

I'd love to have someone I know is ideologically reliable helping me out with European operations. Meanwhile, dolts in other threads are trying to meme themselves money.

Use Tox or something similar to get in contact with them.

Hate to break it to you, but unless Japan makes some serious changes, they're set for some bad times. Their pension welfare system relies heavily on an ever-growing population to sustain the elderly. The problem is that nobody is having kids and the population may decrease by 1/3 in the coming decades. This kills the pyramid scheme. Unless they scrap the system or implement some seriously successful family-starting incentives such as tax breaks, I don't see them doing well. It doesn't help that their national bank punishes saving and encourages short-sighted consumerism. No plan for the future. I want to see the honorary Aryans succeed, but it's going to take a serious game change.

Exactly.
This is where all those theories about Facebook being a CIA/NSA front come from.