Donald Trump's Homeric epithets

Donald Trump's Homeric epithets

First came “Lyin’ Ted” and “Little Marco.” Then Mr. Trump added “Crooked Hillary” to the mix. Now he’s hit upon “Crazy Bernie Sanders” and “Goofy Elizabeth Warren.” Mr. Trump is so enamored of the latter invention that he used it in eight tweets last Wednesday alone.

Mr. Trump’s nicknames are very consistent — these days, he rarely tweets Hillary Clinton’s name without “crooked” in front of it. In this, they recall a rhetorical device from an earlier era: the Homeric epithet.

Every character in the “Iliad” and the “Odyssey” has an epithet, or a “a distinctive adjective that sums up that character,” explained Bruce Louden, a professor of languages and linguistics at the University of Texas at El Paso who specializes in Homer’s epics. Odysseus is “much-devising” or “much-enduring”; Achilles is “swift-footed”; Athena is “gray-eyed.”

Since the epics were long and typically performed orally, Professor Louden said, the epithets helped to remind listeners of the characters’ key traits. “Crooked,” “crazy” and “goofy” might serve a similar function. “They’re instant handles; they’re clearly designed for repetition,” he said.

takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/16/donald-trumps-epithets/?_r=0

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.dilbert.com/post/141202065606/stamina-trumps-linguistic-kill-shot-for-clinton
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Normal fag dips his toe into the meme magic matrix. Nigger, the God Emperor is a guild navigator there.

Basically, Mr Trump is calling them all out on their limp-wristed nonsense. The game is, if you go against me, you are going to have to take at minimum this amount of flak from me, regardless of how much the anti-white media sings your praises. So far, not so many takers.

Which is apparently a good strategy, as a lot of today's political class seem to to be real Nancies - not tough or based at all.

It took these idiots this long to see what Trump was doing? I honestly think we're just a bunch of paranoid morons, we have been scared of the elites for years and now we finally see how completely inept they are.

They're not laughing anymore.

Trump has excellent rhetoric.

Get called racist? call them losers
Get called homophobic? call them little losers
Get called a woman hater? call them big losers

/thread

trump is making memetics mainstream

Ancient meme magic. Interesting. Trump is so fucking great.

These people are truly the living embodiment of stupid.

I preferred Scott Adams analysis of what he called "linguistic kill-shots"

If they're not laughing anymore then why do I find this funny?

an example (not archived, Scott's based)
blog.dilbert.com/post/141202065606/stamina-trumps-linguistic-kill-shot-for-clinton

Granted, Scott is pretty great. However, I disagree with his assessment of Uncle Adolf's sense of humor.

Hitler was heilarious!

It's interesting to note that Trump's branding for his enemies don't rhyme or alliterate. He makes sure the brands don't come across as simply making fun of their names. He didn't use Marco Roboto or the Rubot or any of that - seems obvious, and many lesser memers did use it, but Trump himself went with Little Marco. Hillary wasn't Shillery or Crooked Clinton, she was Crooked Hillary.

I think he does it on purpose, and this has been mentioned on 8ch a few times before, but it seems like he makes sure the branding is never a mockery of their name, to make sure that it comes across as more of an authentic description.

You see the weakness of the Democrats' feeble attempt at counter-meme magic, "Dangerous Donald." It alliterates. It fits well as a nickname. It doesn't come across as a label that was chosen for accuracy but rather just as a nickname. Same with "Drumpf" - it just mocks his name. These rob the names of true memetic power.

I find the Drumpf meme exceptionally bad. In fact, anyone I read or hear using it I know is a traitor commie and wont even bother discussing politics with. I just note who they are for future activities.

I agree, and will add that rhyming epithets are literally child / nigger-tier.

Niggers think rapping takes skill, but I've noticed that as niggetry progresses their "skills" actually diminish over time. Some new rappers can't hit the cue to match the rhythm, and are really grasping to make something rhyme.

Current year man is low energy.

Impetuous

Homeric

First thing I thought of was little ajax, tbh. I thought those examples were something all sagas and myths did to describe people.

He forgot "failing New York Times".

Selective memory.

What does it matter?

Don't let victory defeat you
They might be the sons of the richest people in the world, but their papas haven't kept their rule going on for so long just out of pure luck

Always, ALWAYS assume that your opponent is as strong as your strongest one, as clever as your smartest one and as well connected as your worst nightmare.

Some Holla Forums fags on /n/ are changing tactics: apparently now they're pushing the "Trump = Fart" forced meme. Presumably based on pic-related.

They are not laughing.

It's our turn.

How does he know what the purpose donald trump has, Is this swindler of professor an oracle or something? What does he know what something is designed for?

Its funny he is a professor, yet incapable of properly justifying his conclusions, (if they even are that).

Thom Hartman is a fucking commie too.

hmm

I watch it every time in full when it's posted.

kek

Leftists suck shit at humor

That was bred guud homey, I fee dat.