OpenSUSE

Any openSUSE shills here? I never hear any news nor discussion about openSUSE. I have been wondering if I should try it out. Here are some links that I have read so far:

rootco.de/2015-03-01-why-opensuse/
rootco.de/2016-03-28-why-use-tumbleweed/
rootco.de/2016-04-03-opensuse-and-you/

I would like to hear some opinions from Holla Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

opensuse.org/
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Managing_Systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Aside from systemd, Suse is the only RPM based distro that is good mainly because of their Tumbleweed feature.

I like the focus on KDE, but their package system is bloated, yast is piss, etc.

They have this interesting thing going on with one click package installs. You just look for what you want on the OpenSUSE package search and you can see everything in every user repo on there.
Only issue I have is that some software I use either isn't on there or is a really old version. Aside from that it's a pretty solid distro.

It's solid.

Benefits:
+ Tumbleweed is a great rolling release distro. Nothing breaks.
+ Good range of packages
+ Packages (on Tumbleweed) usually up-to-date as well
+ No dodgy shit like Amazon search
+ Reliable to work and not shit itself

Downsides:
- systemd (that you can't replace)
- YaST, as mentioned above, is horribly slow and shit. The good thing is you don't have to use it if you don't want to for most things.

I like it. I'd definitely recommend it.

Minitrue has won.

Another Solid point for OpenSUSE is their use of BTRFS and their rollback scripts (Snapper).

I'm a FreeBSD/ZFS user myself, but it is good to see a linux distro showing off what a snapshotting COW file system can do.

So in OpenSUSE if you fuck up your system, you can easily boot into a previous snapshot and rollback your change.

stable and reliable core with up-to-date software on top
5/5 just werks

WHAT THE FUCK, what is this hipster shit website that is opensuse.org/

not enough ssl problems 4 u?

I installed openSUSE Leap on my work computer. Pretty solid so far, except audio is fucked up for some reason. I am currently on Xubuntu on my laptop, thinking of going Tumbleweed next.

OP here, just installed Tumbleweed. In general pretty good and things work well. I have seen openSUSE advertised as newbie friendly distro, but it definitely isn't tho. Quite a few things you have to tweak after install. It took me probably same amount of time as Arch Linux KDE install (40 mins). Not complaining since it's not really that hard, just an observation for anyone else wondering.

Way better KDE experience than Ubuntu, very similar to Arch.

Is OpenSUSE KDE too resource intensive for a x200?

Jokes are funny and well-timed. You're just a daily chore to read.

If you want restricted media formats to work (mp4, ...), switch all gstreamer packages to the packman repo.

KDE is shit anywhere. Fortunately, OpenSUSE has XFCE available during installation, so you probably want that instead. I'm speaking from experience.

Thanks, good tip. That's probably why ffmpeg wasn't working.

Chinkpad user here running Leap 42.1.

OpenSUSE is nice, but I'll be moving to Debian or OpenBSD soon. OpenSUSE is more of a workstation or server-oriented distro than anything. Not too great for home-computers or laptops.

Pros
+ zypper is nice - decent command line interface, vendor locking is a nice feature
+ Decent package selection and support - newer than Ubantoo/Debian, more stable than Arch
+ Stable as hell (in my experience)

Cons
- SystemD a shit
- Yast a shit on desktop (meant more for Windows server admins IMO)
- Multilib a shit because 32-bit was dropped -- good luck running older packages (I ran into this issue with GNU Radio) and a few other packages
- Shit at legacy
- Shit software vendor support (packages are generally unsupported)

How exactly? Yast is one of the best things about openSUSE. A whole bunch of admin tools right there.

I like openSUSE. It always feels professional because Novell uses it as their base for the enterprise version that they sell, so it has to leave a good impression. It also gives the most solid KDE desktop, with very little breakage that I've experienced. Tumbleweed is a good rolling release model, and it's just overall a very respectable choice. Pretty much the only reason I don't use it because they don't have some software I need and I'm an incurable distrohopper.
This is a new error. Failing the CAPTCHA even though I'm obviously getting it right

Nah, it should work just fine. If it can run Windows 7 or 8.1, it should be more than good enough for KDE. People say KDE is bloated, and maybe it is by Linux standards, but it takes on average less than half of the RAM Windows does on a fresh boot.

I dual booted it with trisquel for awhile, but it unfortunately has some annoying issues. Nuked it. I'd still recommend it for old people and the technically un-inclined, though.

Been using Tumbleweed on my machine at work for a few months now.

It won't be going on my next machine. It's pretty clunky to use, requires sudo for every-fucking-thing, packages are a mess.

I'll probably use Fedora with Cinnamon or lxqt or lubuntu or some shit as my next work distro. Void or Arch or gentoo at home.

Pros:

* One of the better release models out there (as of 2015) for fixed release & rolling

* Some guy maintains Grsec packages in build service

* Yast GUI-driven configuration if you're into that sort of thing

* "Typical" user-centric focus, generally can be seen as an alternative to Ubuntu & Mint, though leans toward intermediate users and admins

Cons:

* Frequently buggy, seems to get high number of hardware issues on both leap & tumbleweed

* Noticeably variable package maintenance effort and package quality, not enough manpower

* Security focus is arbitrary (generally tighter than Debian OOTB, decent package hardening, but paradoxically has only 128 bit aes disk encryption baked into installer, unusual sudo settings, etc.)

* Missing live CDs and offline live CD generation

* Pushed BTRFS way too early, clearly ignores its own stated mandate of putting users first when it feels like it

uwot, they have a wiki page on removing systemd
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Managing_Systemd

I'd be interested in reports as well. I've been using openSUSE for the longest time, until Leap ironically broke things and forced me to switch to Kubuntu because I want my work distro to justwerk.

From my time with oSS I can say:

- zypper is the most concise and easy-to-use cli package management tool I've encountered

- yast2 is the closest thing you'll get to a system settings clone. It's very versatile and comes with a lot of optional modules... some of which (partially) don't work.

- KDE integration is immaculate. I fondly remember the grains oSS menu design and the Firefox KDE compatibility patches.

- btrfs+snapper is the most amazing distro-specific feature nobody ever talks about.

- Items in the default repos are well maintained and usually more up-to-date compared to the at times antique Ubuntu repos. Who thought it was okay to ship an 18 month old Wine version by default?

- Has the best (as in, most versatile) installation wizard next to Fedora.
Fedora's looks a bit prettier.

- Given that you're staying on the Tumbleweed default distros, you can sit on a surprisingly stable rolling release.

- If it's not in the repos, there's probably a 1-click installer out there.

- Multimedia capabilities are stunted without Packman packages.

- Proprietary Driver support is wonky.

- Infos in the wiki are largely outdated. You're better off using the ArchWiki.

I've been using opensuse for years now. It's bretty gud, zypper is god tier.

I'm trying to get Tumbleweed, but all the downloads for it on Opensuse's website are slow as shit.
what do?

The downloads do not come from one server, each download comes from a different mirror, so try again until it's fast.

All of the ones I've tried (the US ones and the NA one) are slow though, and the sfo-korg-mirror one has an expired certificate to boot.

Try DownThemAll if you're on
like me.

What I hate is how some distros (OpenSUSE included) gimp the DE's and shit. I mean XFCE is fucking gimped in OpenSUSE. Other than that I really do like Tumbleweed, and wanted to recommend it to the newbs I support, but could not get past the gimpage. Fuck.
I think
is right about the workstation feel. Needs a machine with a punch under it.

wat do you mean gimped?

he means the distro's ass got deflowered and anyone lined up for a shot is gonna get a load of white stuff all over his junk

Here. I've decided to give it a try.
Most of what I mentioned still holds up. In fact, despite muh SLE packages, it feels pretty much the same as 13.2.
Especially the GPU driver situation for nVidia cards is still ass. There's a bug in nv that crashes your (graphical) system in Leap when you use it with bumblebee's *run, and switchable graphics with proprietary drivers is apparently "unsupported".

Oh look, another furfag.