SATA USB adapter

So wats the fucking point of buying an "external HDD" with a fancy case, when I can just get a SATA to USB adapter and use that instead?

amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463997711&sr=8-1&keywords=usb hard drive adapter

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb to sata hdd dock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I seriously hope you're not looking to get that specific one
enjoy frying your USB port my friend

Samefag here
looking at the comments, it doesn't seem to draw more amps from USB, rather, it just wont work on 3.5" HDDs that require extra voltage

so if you only plan on using 2.5" HDDs for it go ahead, but its not a guarantee it'll even work for all of those

I have used this exact model for years. Just werks.

i heard usb-c are able to power single 3.5 inches hdd without ac, is there any usb-c adapters out yet?

You can just buy an enclosure and use the board and ignore the actual metal cover entirely. Costs exactly the same.

because the cost is the same and external hdds are better insulated against vibration and aren't as loud.

Structural rigidity. I bought an empty 3.5" case and put a drive in it. I carry the entire unit around with me somewhat frequently. It's nice to have a case to protect the drive and give the (rather delicate) SATA connectors some mechanical support.

Except they give you binned drives.

yeah I don't think I'm going to get that particular one

but what about the problems above?

Take a old external crack her open, salvage drive, unscrew board, use as adapter.

That's totally untrue. What they actually do is give you a much shorter warrantee, because you're less likely to RMA those drives.

Kepp believing they're the same quality.

I emailed startech about this, they're making one.

Do you have a single solitary fact to back that up?

I have one of these, I plug it into one of my old SSDs and it becomes a big-ass flash drive for when I want to transport a lot of files at once, e.g., Holla Forums-illiterate friends who ask me for complete tv series in hd or whatever. I've also got a partition in it onto which I periodically backup my root partition. It's pretty comfy.

but my adapter was a quarter of that price because I got it off aliexpress

I've seen a lot of items cheaper on alixpress but I always pay a little bit more for Amazon because I've heard bad things about alixpress and I feel more confident going Amazon because they're a bigger company held to a higher standard

ali have always given me full money back if I've had any complaint (only ever happened for non-tech stuff) but I never buy essential components off them. Stuff like cables, adapters, little electronic odds and ends, though -- the difference in price is pretty amazing, and no noticeable difference in quality whatsoever. Because seriously, twelve bucks for a cable? No thanks.

What problem? I's just for 2.5"s

I'd rather use a docking station than a cable

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb to sata hdd dock