UI/design principles

Does anyone know of good books on UI or just general design principles?

This could be skirting the edges of what should be in Holla Forums or not, apologies if it's out of place.

Other urls found in this thread:

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
bestmotherfucking.website/
github.com/twbs/bootstrap/blob/v4-dev/scss/bootstrap.scss
developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH66-SW1
practicaltypography.com/typography-in-ten-minutes.html
doc.rust-lang.org/book/
pelican.readthedocs.io/en/3.6.3/
musl-libc.org/
maddox.xmission.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

motherfuckingwebsite.com/

It's like breathing pure mountain air

It's interesting that you linked this because my motivation behind the thread was reading the other one on the Realtek site and realising how much I hate UI/design bloat and pointless gimmicks.

I was wondering if there's been anything written on how to reach a decent compromise, though.

I know a good book about UI.
It's called Don't make me think.

The only UI design rule you need to remember is that if you outsource the hard decisions, you will produce guaranteed shit. Look at any website based on Bootstrap for proof.

bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/

bestmotherfucking.website/

Bootstrap is not the reason. It's just shitty designers using bootstrap.

But bootstrap is a really good tool that, if used effectively, gives great results.

It's the only framework that actually has keyboard support (seriously go on Zurb or Flat UI and tell me how easy it is to nav with a keyboard). Also, it's the only framework that fucking gracefully degrades when you disable javascript (or at least tells you what to do so that it still works okay without js). It's up to the developer to determine how dependent on js they should be.

What happens is girls who can code and web neubros come along and find out they can get paid to shit. So they shit and then link to the whole Bootstrap CSS and change the button styles to pink.

github.com/twbs/bootstrap/blob/v4-dev/scss/bootstrap.scss

Bootstrap is supposed to be a good foundation to start from. A designer is expected to go back through those imports and make sure they are not importing unused shit.

I recommend reading Apple's guide.

developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH66-SW1

But obviously take it with a grain of salt. Not everything Apple says is God.

Their main point is consistency. Make your shitty application fucking consistent, ass hole.

I'm cringing

They are right though.
The most readable website around is probably practicaltypography.com/typography-in-ten-minutes.html (and it's also a design ressource so completely on topic) which is not far from being as simple as humanly possible.

A good interface is straightforward and styled only in the most practical way.

Hell, the best search engine interface is basically a textfield and a button.

Any of the Sphinx standard themes produce nicer results. It takes up only a quarter of my screen's width and and doesn't do anything with the rest of the screen. At least a side bar for navigation would have been nice.

What is readability?

Text isn't meant to span across the whole screen. More than 80 characters of width makes your shit objectively worse, there are studies on this.

I do agree on the lack of an outline, but the rest is just fluff.
Gitbook is basically perfect: doc.rust-lang.org/book/

This was created using a standard Sphinx template:
pelican.readthedocs.io/en/3.6.3/

I'm not saying the text has to span the whole window, but Practical Typography has too few characters per line. Maybe you can use a different template, I don't know.

>not bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/

musl-libc.org/

Am I a bad person because I prefer motherfuckingwebsite.com over bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com? I read the practical typography page as well.

I agree with the line spacing and font size stuff, but that ~8- character width shit is annoying as fuck. Maybe its because I still don't have a wide screen monitor like a pleb, but I find the full width text more comfortable to read. ~80 characters seems unnecessarily narrow. I don't like the constant line breaks.

Nah, bettermotherfuckingwebsite is shit.
They try to trick you by appending "better" to it, but it's a lie.

If you want a decent compromise, check out Maddox's site. It follows the motherfuckingwebsite philosophy, but still has some "UI" elements like a static background and shit.

maddox.xmission.com/

Dude's pretty based.

I like his videos, he seems like an intelligent guy with well-informed opinions on a bunch of topics. I'm surprised he uses "vim and unix" to build his website. Also good to see he is being critical of copyright trolls.

It's a pity he's a Holla Forumsirging and a fagbook user

Design of everyday things/The Psychology of Design.

Emotional Design

Don't make me think

Editing by design.

Why does vim user surprise you?

It gets bigger and bigger. I hate that overspaced out bold text shit.

I use a High-DPI screen to fit more shit but these fucking hipsters make the text oversized for their Macbook Retinas and it looks fucking horrible.

Give me dense screens please. Fuck, this shit makes me scroll 6 times just to get to the next paragraph.

Maddox jumped on Fagbook to get on with the times. He did it recently, at least around 2014. Before that his website was spread through pure and simple word of mouth.