Gnu hurd 0.8 has bean realesed

Are you ready to welcome the savior of kernels
after the clusterfuck of the linux foundation when it fucked it's community
mjg59.dreamwidth.org/39546.html
thanks to the overlords of the linux kernel
linuxfoundation.org/about/members

this diamond is beginning to shine after 30+ years of dev we can finally see more an more active people on the Hurd kernel

gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2016-05-18-releases.html

Other urls found in this thread:

mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32778.html
degree180.com/8686-2/
archhurd.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_kernel
gnu.org/software/hurd/contributing.html
debian.org/ports/hurd/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

LINUS ON SUICIDE WATCH

You seriously need to work on your shit-tier bait. Or just stop entirely.

Matthew Garrett
Mobile and firmware developer on Linux
Member of the Free Software Foundation board of directors.

Garrett stated on his blog that he would no longer contribute Linux kernel changes relating to Intel hardware, in response to Intel pulling their ads from Gamasutra over the Gamergate controversy
mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32778.html

He helped with UEFI when working at red hat so that free software could work on it.

Seems pretty based to me

Yeah, I'll check it out in 20+ years when it's stable and the code base is fubar.

What's will finished first. The fixs in 8ch or hurd?

Man I had totally forgotten about this. Almost 2 years later and GG is still going strong with more women involved than ever. Candace Owens is living proof that the mainstream narrative of GG is a fraud:

degree180.com/8686-2/

Checked out his twitter; right at the top he's whining about 'men in tech' and a little further down he's posting outright communist propaganda. Over 22 thousand tweets of garbage like this, it's always the same thing with these people.

Do you just slam your face into the keyboard and run it through spellcheck?

archhurd.org/

they need some help

Get in on the ground level and make this the dankest shitlord OS around

Since HURD would likely be a libre kernel without binary blob? How does it handles with compatibility against proprietary peripherals?

We have BSD, Linux, OSX (Mach) and Windows. What problem does HURD solve other than being a fun intellectual hobby project?

Simple, it doesn't support them

Then, why the fuck does Archlinux have to join into Hurd bandwagon in the first place? Archhurd doesn't make any sense, since the kernel is designed for fully respecting libre distro such as Parabola and the like.

Aside from Minix, it's the only microkernel that I can think of that's gained any traction, it moves us away from the Linux clusterfuck and it offers an entire OS that is fully GNU.

Also, why wouldn't you want a new Kernel? So long as we don't end up with a forkwar, I don't see why it's a bad thing that we would have yet another alternative. I guess you could argue that it's redundant to have many different kernels, but when you look at the state of the ecosystem todayn being squeezed between alphabet soup trying to inject bad code into projects and SJWs doing the same from a different angle, a more diverse community is advantageous.

That's wrong you fucking retard, hybrid kernels are microkermels, Windows NT is the hybrid kernel while ntoskrnl.exe is the microkermel. XNU is OSX' kernel while Mach is the microkernel.etc

the Hurd was started in 1990, only one year before Linux

Hybrid kernels are a middle ground between monolithic and micro kernels. They are not the same thing as a true microkernel.

Nobody has jumped on the Hurd bandwagon it's a hobby project that several other distros had going once. There was a Debian and Gentoo Hurd awhile back.

I'd imagine it's done as a gentle way of learning about Hurd in an environment you're already used to not as a serious effort to make it a practical OS.

You truly are the salt of the earth.

Do they even fucking sell devices that use RS232 any more? Or any fucking port besides USB at all? Even shitty outdated meme kernels like the one in plan9 support USB at this point; this is such a fucking basic feature that the devs should have made it a top-tier priority years ago

I only use hpib because I'm not a pleb.

Ebn

Thunderbolt.

QNX gained a lot of traction.

Apparently USB drivers are very hard to do

I see you're quite gnew.
>mjg59.dreamwidth.org/32778.html
I don't see how that's good.

In other news, Sisyphus is almost to the top of the mountain.

4chan and Reddit confirmed as controlled opposition.

THAT'S FUCKING FALSE

THAT'S FUCKING FALSE

hybrid kernels are monolithic by definition. read a fucking kernels textbook. they don't even mention the concept of hybrid kernel, because it's a marketing meme that falls into the category of monolithic kernels.

Hybrid kernel's are certainly not completely monolithic either, they contain microkernels and a large kernel-space stack with modules sitting ontop of the microkernel. Again, Windows NT is the hybrid/Monolithic kernel, ntoskrnl is the microkernel, XNU is the hybrid/monolithic kernel, Mach is the microkernel

>go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_kernel

it's very fishy to say the least

There's no mid ground, either a kernel is monolithic or micro.
A microkernel has just enough services to run the machine (scheduler and shit), if you take something out, it stops working. This model ends up being overly bureaucratic with messaging passing, leading to too much overhead over simple processes.
If you have a microkernel and put more services on top of it to make it faster, then you have a monolithic kernel.
XNU is monolithic, Windows is monolithic and Plan 9 is monolithic. Plan 9 has a really small kernel, though, I would rather use it any day than the over designed Hurd.

that logo is literally just the Arch logo but with shitty masking tape slapped on top of it lel

isn't QNX closed source though?

It is.

One thing in HURD's favour is it has better device support than Minix ...which hasn't progressed at all in that regard since 1997.

Fuck off. Binary blobs are not included in the kernel because it's a microkernel. Drivers aren't part of the kernel at all. There is nothing against the GPL against running proprietary userland applications.

The monolithic/micro dichotomy is stupid. There is no clear distinction because you can write software to do whatever the hell you want and that includes providing an arbitrary amount of services in kernel/userspace. There are even webservers written to run in kernelspace.

I'm autistic enough to appreciate this and I have experience doing low level kernel/driver work, but I never figured out how to get involved with open source. Do I just show up on the IRC and ask if they need help with anything?

gnu.org/software/hurd/contributing.html

Isn't the difference that a microkernel pushes things that a kernel needs to have into userspace? You can have an operating system without a web server, but an operating system without a filesystem is a different matter.

The post you're replying to didn't mention Linux at all.

Who are you quoting?

He called hybrid kernels microkernels.

Nobody. The image is where the quote comes from. The second sentence wasn't supposed to be included in that quote.

What does that have to do with Linux? Linux is not a hybrid kernel either.

So, GNU + HURD now?

The Microsoft Hyper-V drivers were merged :^)

there was already
a debian distribution based on gnu/hurd
debian.org/ports/hurd/

If think the point of the post is to say that against all probabilities the hurd is becoming a thing.
And this is very positive considering that the linux foundation went full retard.

Nigger, you are talking about a kernel that has been 30 years in development hell by people that wrote Emacs, of all things.

If anything, it's going to be an even bigger shitshow than Linux could ever hope to be.

Are you talking about actual specific authors or being part of the GNU project?

couldn't agree more.
spare my shitpost

yet is right. Hurd wouldn't support them anyway.

isn't that a pleonasm? Hurd is THE GNU kernel. Why not just call the whole thing "GNU"?

let me fact-check you there
26 years, just one year more than Linux.
it was in development hell for the first 15 years or so. what you see today is the expected output of ~6 volunteer programmers. For comparison, Linux sees over 1000 different contributors every month.

what asks.
It's a very poor analogy anyway, since Emacs is a prime example of a successful and widely used program

like said
and you can see the dev pace go faster and faster
be a pessimistic if you want but at this stage compared to 5 years ago this is a light in the dark

(You)
yet is right. Hurd wouldn't support them anyway.
But that's wrong, you fucking retard. Hurd supports whatever proprietary authors choose to write for it. Additionally Hurd has a DDE linux driver emulation layer that once finished will allow Hurd to run with linux drivers.

yes hurd doesn't stop people from making there own blob for it

but it will not include them in it and will not help people to make them work

people will have to find there own way to include blobs

You obviously know very little about how Hurd works. Hurd is a framework for people to write drivers and translators for. Filesystems are merely implemented in hurd translators. I don't know if filesystems are currently included with hurd but the point of hurd is anyone who wants can write their own translators for just about any protocol imaginable.

That could vary from gopher to filesystems to http to torrents to ftp to ipfs to plan9 style "devices are filesystems".

This is fart-fart-fart-kun in real life? Even more repulsive than I expected.

Technology will make it so that nobody has to work for anyone else. No more bosses, only temporary clients. This is the future, and you could call it communism or whatever if you really want to. I guess it fits the dictionary definition.

HURD is the future, no doubt about it.

Communism is not supposed to abolish labour, it is supposed to abolish property, i.e. everyone works together and shares equally. Making it so that no one has to work anymore because everything is automated would not be communism, it would be something entirely new.

Communism would be the inevitable result of a fully automated society because the way capitalism works is if you only pay people for work done and there's no more work to do they don't have the money to purchase whatever is produced.

I just meant there would be no bosses. People would still work, but I wouldn't call it communism myself. I just said you could if you really wanted to.

Of course, what happens to the ones that can't code? Maybe they starve? Maybe goods are so cheap that they just live out the rest of their lives in peace? Or do we just shove them into VR?

does it actually work yet

also does everything you enter into your keyboard automatically become GPL3

Yes

No

What's been holding it back anyway? Just a lack of urgency from linux already filling the gap? It can't be that they don't have the capabilities, the best parts of the system are already GNU and the linux part is kind of small.

The lack of urgency. Kernels are hard and there's a libre kernel available already - a lot of them, actually.

That's a very colorful skeleton

That's just the light from a projector reflecting off his hair, right? Right?

What baffles me is how anyone can look in the mirror like this and think "Yes, that is how I should leave the house today". I bet he would love to lecture me about how not to judge people by their looks, but that's supposed to apply to people who cannot help the way they look; maybe they got some disease, or they got injured in an accident. But when you go out of your way to look like shit, then you deserve it.