I would like this show a lot more if it wasn't so goddamn edgy, same goes with other shows like TAWOG

I would like this show a lot more if it wasn't so goddamn edgy, same goes with other shows like TAWOG.

In spite of all the praise this show has earned over the years, I could just never really get into it.

Zim comes off really spazzy and I often find spastic characters annoying.

I feel like in order to properly enjoy this show, you have to turn off your brain slightly, like with Billy and Mandy

or just be high

Even if you don't super like the show, it still represents a time when cartoons where being released and not the same 2 shows barely surviving on air.

It was great.
The edgy shit had great timing as pretty much every delivery.
The least spastic episodes are the most boring ones surprisingly.

This

It was one of the earliest shows to be ruined by the Internet. Damn shame, it was still a damn quality show.

wew there lad, internet language is ruining shit for you

Can a show be dark without being edgy? Seemes like you could call any badly done 'dark' show as edgy.

OP was talking about the style. It looks like you could poke your eyeball out on a lot of these characters.

OP also said The Amazing World of Gumball was edgy so no I think he just doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Zim is edgy, though, not just dark. I might even go so far as to call it grimdark- it's as if you took the 40k universe, excised chaos, dropped the collective IQ of everyone involved by twenty points, and made the dominant species Gretchin.

Vasquez has always made dark settings heavy in sardonic satire, it's his style.

It's not really satire if it's beating you over the head and wailing in your ear.

No one said satire had to be subtle.

Political cartoons are satire.

I disagree- if it's not subtle, it's parody, at best.

Parody and satire are not the same thing.

You're disagreeing with a fact.

What I'm saying is that you have to have some degree of subtlety to be satire. If you don't, you're going to rise to parody, at best.

It's like the difference between a Renaissance painter and a CalArts graduate.

You can have a satire without parody, you can have a parody without satire, you can combine both into a satirical parody, but they are not the same thing, and subtlety is not a factor.

You can have a puppet show where a Puppet Donald Trump and a Puppet Hilary Clinton beat each other with sticks while a Puppet Bernie Sanders cries, and call it the 2016 presidential election, and it would be satire. Not very intelligent satire, but still satirical.

Isn't it amazing the fanbase and Hot Topic merch is still here to this day?

Gumball? How is it edgy? I haven't seen it past the first season.

I see this show getting a lot of hate outside of its Hot Topic crowd hugboxes, but why? I really liked the show, sure its not the greatest show on Earth, but it had a goofy crapsack word charm to it that no other show had, it was like a more autistic and less restrained version of Billy and Mandy

Rightfully so. I always enjoyed Invader Zim but I never admitted it. As soon as herds of white girls started buying Gir shirts I had to stop watching it.

it kickstarted some terrible things like early "lolsorandumb XD" humor. Simply too many obnoxious teenage girls.

You know, same stuff as usual. Something good has a unique style and idiots imitate only the surface appearances of it in a half-assed pursuit of greed.

I can't even be a pedo about the show because the fanart makes everyone bishonen.

isn't it more just a dark sense of humor than actually having edge??? or do i have my definition of edgy wrong?

What do you even call Edgy these days ?

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac was pretty god damn edgy.
It might actually be the pinnacle of edginess, that no other comic may reach no matter how hard they try.
I don't there is much out these days that even comes close, but then again I am no longer a teenager so I'm not exactly keeping my ear to the floor about all this shit.

Invader Zim is the ultimate "good show with horrible fanbase". At least, at the time it was airing the fanbase was unbearable.

Always preferred JtHM to IZ
I have a soft spot for edgy shit, particularly when it's amusingly over the top.

You have to consider that Jhonen hated his edgy teenage fans that sent him letters about how they want to be like Johnny and explained all their little hate rape fantasy in detail. He hated them so much that he created an audience stand-in based on them specifically so that Johnny himself could murder him and explain why being like Johnny was a really shit thing. The whole series starts as a fun ol' murder cruise but relatively quickly becomes a dive into Johnny's psyche as he is trying to accept himself while the Sickness eats away at any sanity he had left.

The whole Sickness deal itself is an incredible piece of world building too. Johnny's sickness was fully realised and had undergone such a strange evolution that a part of it doesn't want the final product (the physical form, the not-moose, the thing behind the wall) to emerge while the other wished for nothing more than to be devoured by its master. The only defence Johnny had left was the little chopped of pet head and that ultimately didn't do much for him even though it may be the reason he managed to get out without dying in the end. Squee who had contact with Johnny was experiencing the sickness and was surrounded by enough of negative factors to feed it quickly but his defence, the teddy bear, kept him safe from the tendrils of insanity. Devi who was the closest thing to a girlfriend Johnny ever had nearly succumbed to the sickness the same way Johnny did (both were artists, both experienced a drop of quality in their art and a growing hate for the ludicrous world around them and for both the sickness attempted to take on a physical form) but she managed to defeat it after realising that it was the same thing that plagued Johnny.

Wow, I am thankful I am Anonymous on here because this was very spergy,

Idk if it's "edgy", but it does have a lot of snarky jokes/attempts at dry sarcasm that are tryhard and cringey a lot of the time. I guess actual twelve year olds would like it, though.

This is accurate, but I'm not sure if that makes it better than Billy and Mandy.

This.

This is the definition of edgy.

Edgy would be stuff like or that one furry webcomic (Jack?) that had characters murdering people or dying in overly gruesome and fucked up ways for the sake of shocking the reader.

Pretty much simply because it took off so hard with Hot Topic. I mean, people will latch on to how the show has weird super fans, but EVERY show that lasted any amount of time has that.

I don't know how the Hell OP calls it edgy, unless he's never seen the guy's other work. Zim is a very restrained work on his part. I still remember how I felt when I heard Johnen Vasquez was getting a cartoon. Some Nick exec must have been high a fuck.

When someone says TAWOG has dark humor, my first thought is the prank war episode between Gumball and Darwin vs. Richard. Like where they put him on a raft while he's asleep and he gets stranded out at sea, or the kids think he's doing the bucket-on-the-door trick and when the open the door a solid block of cement falls out.

Something about pushing boundaries of children's TV

it's not even remotely "edgy," it's just dark humor.

it's fine if people don't like the writing, but from a technical perspective it's an amazing show.

pic related is pretty awful but it doesn't factor into how well of a show it is.

I would like your post a lot more if it didn't include pointless buzzwords from reddit.

elaborate

the backgrounds are amazingly colored, the animation is superb, the a storyboarding is top-notch, voice acting is great, music is well-done. Nick poured a ton of money into this show and creators certainly made use of it.

Vasquez uses a lot of different camera angles in his comics, and carried that over for making Zim. watch the camera in this scene, and the perspectives used. look at the different shading and coloring used for the lamp light.
then, compare that to whatever bullshit cartoon churned out nowadays where the camera just stays at eye-level facing the characters.

the writing is more subjective when it comes to quality, especially the humor, but it's still a unique and interesting setting with themes different from many other cartoons.

I rate this show a 6.5/10 it's not great, but it certainly isn't the worst thing ever.

Today I am going to rant about invader zim

Now I know a lot of people like this show, but I am going to tell you why I can't stand it, so we are going to review invader zim

It starts with zim getting something to eat at the school cafeteria when he is apparently allergic to green beans and falls to the ground in agony. Zim is crying in agony and nobody helps him. It's sad because people in the real world are actually like this.

they keep portraying the world as this cruel and sad place, and it just gets unpleasant to watch.

Another problem is zim's character. He is an unlikable doucebag. Yes, I know he is supposed to be an alien and doesn't understand human nature, but he just comes off as a fucking sociopath and it's just kind of unpleasant to watch.

I mean, we're supposed to be rooting for this character right? Because I want to fucking strangle him.

A girl then says he's a freak. Once again, people are way too mean spirited and have little to no personality.

She says its inhuman for zim to not have friends, and We get a joke. Okay, that was actually kind of funny.

Zim tries to look for some friends. And does an initiation on them. Okay, why? What did these kids do to deserve being tortured? Once again why I don't like zim's shallow character.

He finds the one person who is immune to all of his tests and jimmy is attached to zim

Once again, the girl is unrealistically mean spirited when she is just automatically mean to zim.

I kind of feel bad for jimmy. He really wants to be zim's friend but he's only being used by him. He is eventually going to be back stabbed by zim.

Again, I want to fucking strangle the green bastard.

And then zim does this to jimmy; rip his eyes out and replace them with a mind control device. Okay what the fuck? This is a kids show right? I mean sure earlier there was more mature content, but plucking out a child's eyes? That sure won't give their viewers mightmares.

This is why the show got cancelled so early.

How can invader zim work? Make it an adult cartoon and keep the edginess, but also make it adult humor. The problem with invader zim is that it tries to be adult while childish at the same time, and it just comes off as obnoxious sad and unpleasant. Unfortunately this show is never going to be remade again so there's really nothing else to say here

I really liked the original pilot of inadvertent zim. The one made in 1999 and was released sometime in 2010. I don't get why they stuck with that concept for the show. It wasn't cringey like the final product and was perfectly balanced with humor, slapstick and hardly any edginess, but it still represented the concept of the show.

why would you c&p this

I wrote it all myself and copy pasted it from my text document

Then you're shit at formatting.

you actually wrote that? i thought you copied it from some cartoon forum as a joke. it doesn't make any sense.

you actually wrote that? i thought you copied it from some cartoon forum as a joke. it doesn't make any sense.

It's a review on the season 1 episode where he needs to make a friend.

Indeed, that's not edgy. It'd be edgy if people were 'realistically' reacting to it maybe, but as presented it's absurd gross comedy.

'Edgy' implies something taking itself seriously while being obviously absurd, and Invader Zim could never be accused of taking itself seriously in the slightest. Now, the fans on the other hand…

No.

How are the comics?

His name is Keef, dipshit.