Donald Trump Weakens Stance on Muslim Immigration Ban

Donald Trump Weakens Stance on Muslim Immigration Ban

edition.cnn.com/2016/05/12/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban/

Story highlights:
Trump emphasizes the temporary nature of the ban
It's the latest lightning-speed evolution for Trump

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump, who issued a December press release "calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States," said Wednesday such a ban "hasn't been called for yet" and it was "only a suggestion."

It's the latest lightning-speed evolution for the real estate tycoon as he pivots from the provocateur who upended the Republican primary to a general election candidate preparing to square off with likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

"We have a serious problem, and it's a temporary ban – it hasn't been called for yet, nobody's done it, this is just a suggestion until we find out what's going on," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told Fox News Radio's Brian Kilmeade Wednesday.

But when Trump first introduced the proposed ban back in December he explicitly said in both a speech and in a press release: "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."

'Temporary'

Trump on Wednesday also put a new emphasis on the temporary nature of his proposed ban in an interview with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren.

"No, it was never meant to be – I mean that's why it was temporary," he said, when asked if he would consider backing off the controversial ban.

"Sure I'd back off on it. I'd like to back off on it as soon as possible, because frankly, I'd like to see something happen. But we have to be vigilant," he said. "There is a radical Islamic terrorism problem that our president doesn't even want to talk about."

Trump was also pressed by Van Susteren on what kind of exceptions he might make to the "total and complete shutdown" he originally proposed. He pointed to Muslim military service members, while continuing to stress his desire to see the ban lifted once some sort of progress was made in the fight against terror.

"(Muslim military members) would all come back," he said. "I mean we have exceptions, and again, it's temporary, and ultimately it's my aim to have it lifted. Right now there is no ban. But I'd like to see – there has to be an idea, there has to be something."

As the presumptive GOP nominee explained, "Ideally you wouldn't have the ban for very long. I mean, we just have to find out what's happening."

If he actually backs down from this I won't be voting

The war in Iraq was also supposed to be a temporary affair but we ended up there for 9 years.

He already did.

He's saying this to people who will try to push more unnecessary "Trump is racist" shit in the media if he were to say anything other than what he said. You need to keep that in mind. Van Sustern is not pro-closed borders. She's a Fox News globalist shill.

He always said a temporary ban on Muslims. It was the liberals that equated this to literally Hitler and/or likened it to Japanese internment camps.

"Trump is just playing politics."

He has always said it would be temporary.

Holla Forums is always right.

0/10

You are literally retarded if you ever thought Trump was going to ban Muslims forever. Trump is good for us. He isn't the Messiah, though.

What is desperate damage control?

>CNN
>CNN
>CNN
>CNN
>CNN

You faggot, he said he would ban until the problem was solved, which means glassing the Middle East.

hello newfriend

GOOD JOB SUCKING UP MEDIA SPIN, FAGGOT!

The temporary ban is TEMPORARY? HOLY SHIT

It always has been a temporary ban shill.
The lugenpresse are the only ones who have been reporting it as anything more than that.

not a shill but I wouldn't doubt this guy being one. This was just a significant factor in why I voted for him in the primary and I would hate to see the (((GOPe))) to force him down from it

Right.

Well we all know that it isn't temporary and that Trump may be looking into it with a naively open mind. There is no way to "figure out what the hell is going on with the middle east" let alone solving anything that involves it. It has to be permanent unless we're glassing the middle east. The American people at large, I believe, understand this and will uphold a permanent ban if it is later suggested.

Trump was always halal

lol please. he said that. what. 8 months ago. i saw it when he said it. it's always been temporary you fucking triple nigger.

do you expect him to go all out during the beginning of his GOP campaign? (((they))) wouldn't like that. now (((they))) see him as the only option.

Jesus fuck, they planned this all along didn't they? Deliberately spin his every statement, then make him look inconsistent when he's actually staying the course?
FUCKING LUGENPRESSE

Stop making these bait threads.