What does Holla Forums think of Enlightenment?

What does Holla Forums think of Enlightenment?

For some reason I don't think I've ever seen anyone discuss this here.

bloat

I think it memest de ever made. Created by autsists who don't know anything about ergonomics, but was stubborn enough to develop useless shit for years.

I discovered it a year back and wondered why nobody ever talked about it. From screenshots, I thought it'd be for me, but when I tried it I just found myself wishing I had Xfce. Enlightenment is sort of odd, and it feels like it's lacking in customization, though admittedly, I didn't use it for very long.

Enlightenment is super nice if you like a GUI that's really moddable and eye-candied.
Code-wise it's much cleaner than any qt or gtk based shit. You're going to see it all over the fucking place in a few years when Wayland's testicles drop.

Nice ruse faggot.

Says the queerbait who never used it.

last time I used It was buggy as fuck. In the end I raged quit and change my DE to MATE instead.

If you seek clean codebase, fast-light perfomance and moddable ui, you should try equinox-de instead.

You seem to be lost, redditor. You are spewing buzzwords that you don't understand. Lurk before embarrassing yourself. It is ugly, bloated garbage.

Very light and looks great, but it's unpolished as fuck.. Bodhi Linux uses it well, but they don't sign the packages in their repos.
It's one of those things wher you want it to be really good, but falls just short.

Seems like it's support Wayland.

looks like shit tbh

I found it to be difficult to use, a pain to configure, and buggy as hell. It also looks fucking hideous.

/thread

E went to shit shortly after they declared 17 "done"

i tried it for a while, but it never works properly. it is ugly, the font configuration is abysmal, its 20 years out of date on most things. Its just not good enough for most linux users, hence it being tried once or twice out if curiosity then abandoned.

I love it, and used it for a while, it's just a bit weird when you start to use it, as it's interface differs a lot from other's, and compatibility things don't go together.
The only thing I really want is better themes. The only theme I could find that looked remotely good was the standard one, and none for gtk that really matched it, so GTK apps look out of place.

Time for the rope my friend.

It's actually one of the least Bloated desktops I've used.

I think it's great but takes some getting used to. It's my second favorite de. Mate is my first.

Looks like complete shit from the 1990's

I've never seen it look nice. never ever. I've heard over and over that it's good, but never actually saw it be better.finally I've never seen it pushed as a flagship or official spin desktop on any distro.

I can't see the point of installing my own de, none of the wm's I installed were worth it, and it got less fun the more I figured it out.

Sorry enlightenment, you're not one of the pretty girls.

It seems to always looks like shit. I used it back in the mid 2000s and it seems to look entirely the same.

With a proper theme it might be nice, but if it doesn't have proper multihead support, into the trash it goes.

I want it to be good but it just feels too weird for my tastes. There's some annoying bugs, and it's hard for me to find a theme I really like. That being said, I do appreciate how snappy and relatively light it is given all of the effects. Also, I love their terminal application, terminology.

It's one of those things where I really want it to be good, but deep down I know it isn't.

Honestly I think you can probably do the same things Enlightenment does with Openbox and a decent panel. Openbox's pipe menus are possibly even more versatile in fact.

Enlightenment does have a really impressively preconfigured set of menus though. But so does BunsenLabs. Outside the menus though, what does Enlightenment really offer?

What is DE bloat? I see everyone toss that word around but I don't really get what makes one DE bloated and another not. Is it code readability / amount of lines?

Unity and KDE are bloat. Enlightenment is really fucking light in comparison.

every time i see Enlightenment, i immediately contract eye cancer

the fact that the Loonix Foundation / Samsung actually wants that piece of shit to be part of Tizen blows my mind

Bloat usually means one if three things: unneeded or generally unwanted features (ie the "anything I don't like is bloat" mentality), unnecessarily long or complex code and/or libraries/dependencies for something that can be done in a simpler using far fewer lines of codes or without pulling in an entire library, and (usually as a result of the first two) being very heavyweight with large resource consumption.

Unity is a good example of the second two types of bloat. It has very few features compared to other, lighter DEs, but because of how poorly made it is and how many things it depends on, such as using both GTK and Qt, it uses an immense amount of resources and is generally considered the most bloated DE around.

it's botnet

I'm gonna give it a try

isn't mint antisemitic?

When the average user benefits from / uses only 70% of the installed features or less

Bloat is the term autists use to justify why they shy away from using system resources like it's 2001. There's no reason to care about DE bloat if you have 4 GB or more of RAM because no matter what, it's still going to be lighter than Windows, which runs fine or as well as Windows ever runs on 4 GB.

Used it for more than a year while on bodhi. Liked it well enough. Also wondered why it rarely gets mentioned.

Enlightened Archer reports in.
I've used it for years. The UI looks really good, and key config is very very straightforward and useful. In a word, I like it because it's both highly customizable and good-looking.
But some of its modules are not so stable, and after they introduced appindicator into systray, it broke for many applications, like CherryTree and FireTray (for Firefox and Thunderbird). The former one doesn't really matter to me, but the latter one is disaster. So I use mate as well, sometimes goes back to see if that's fixed. Ahh really miss the old days.

Fuck you. I shy away from using system resources like its 1985. Every cycle counts.

Are there any other DEs or WMs or whatever that really try to go wild with menus like Enlightenment or Bunsenlabs/Crunchbang Openbox? Navigating directories and files with a right click is my new favorite thing and I'm wondering what else can be done.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D