I know it is kind of a meme but how many of you are ACTUALLY using linux on their desktop WITHOUT dual-booting?

I know it is kind of a meme but how many of you are ACTUALLY using linux on their desktop WITHOUT dual-booting?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17488
mxe.cc/
divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/c.html
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
xubuntu.org/screenshots/
kubuntu.org/feature-tour/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am.

Xubuntu install, running i3wm for DE.

Whoops, desktop. Sorry OP, I only have a laptop.

Installed Gentoo

I am. I started with Mint dual-booting ~4yrs ago. Entirely ditched NSA-OS 2 years ago, still using Mint.

Have since moved to Arch because I needed the latest C++ compilers, haven't looked back. Arch performance is great.

Since when? I haven't used windows in ages. I can do everything on linux, and don't have to use the abomination that is windows.

Manjaro XFCE with openRC.

I am. I don't have a reason to use Windows, and my university requires me to use Linux.

wat

I saw this thread on cuckchan /g/.
How is it tough to understand? I don't want to use that slow-ass bloated crap that can't be changed.

Fuck off and meme elsewhere

Have been using gentoo for 6 years now tbh. Haven't touched windows since then. I've used various distros before, but all in a dual-boot setup.

I'm only now finally seeing gentoo's seams. Maybe I'll move to qubesos eventually (at least when it supports lightweight, virt-free containers like openvz).

Is it that hard to believe? Linux is geared towards software developers and other technical users. It's much better for teaching computer science than Windows.

OS X and other Unix-likes are also allowed, but not supported as well.

Same. Windows is pure cancer and I've been lucky enough to have a job where I can use Gnu/Linux.

I am, arch+i3 on both computers. I have no proprietary OS in my possession. (besides mobile devices), but that will soon change.

Last time I installed Windows for my own personal use was over 5 years ago.

I've installed W7 several time on computers that had W8 preinstalled, before that it was xp to replace vista.

Ever since W10 I'm not touching it ever again. I tell people to buy older refurbished computers from small shops to avoid it.

The only reason I have windows installed is dark souls 3, as soon as I beat it its back to linux.

I bet it even works in wine anyway, faggot.

Looks like it doesn't.
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17488

Using only Kubuntu at home. Only regret is that it's installed on a Mac Pro - not because I miss OSX, but because of mac-specific issues with several upgrades I've done.

I think it's been ~5-6 years since I've used Windows at home on my computer.

Otherwise I don't have a single reason to use Windows. My Linux game backlog is going to keep me busy for years (assuming I don't buy more games - like that'll happen) so I don't miss "windows only" titles.

Probably worth noting, I'm an application developer targeting Linux and Windows; I don't even use Windows to compile anymore. I cross-build on Linux and ship the binaries.

nice meme, faggot

How do you crossbuild? I was looking into this and would be very interested in your setup.

I use Ubuntu on both my desktop and laptop. Haven't dualbooted in years. I have consoles for vidya, Latex for word processing and I share all documents as PDFs, so there aren't any compatibility issues.
I'm fucking around with Void in a VM to see what it's all about. It looks nice but I'm a lazy fuck and Ubuntu just werks.

I use Qt/MXE. Depending on your needs this might not be the solution for you. If you do stuff with SDL the link below also works.

mxe.cc/

You're kinda grupy today user.

He's only sour because something was on the internet *twice*.

I was using Slackware for 3 years, now i'm using Devuan.

I do that. Shit's not even a thang, bruh.

That doesn't even apply. The reason the fox figures that the grapes are sour is because he can't reach them. You're talking to people who have tasted the grapes, and not only are they sour, but they are filled with pozzed semen and shit. We know the grapes taste like shit and we have built our own much more improved and free grapes that respect the eater's freedoms.

If anyone is sour grapes, it's Windows users that can't seem to figure out how to switch to GNU/Linux or don't have an interest in learning. Most of you faggots only use your computer as an imageboard machine anyway.

Nah dude, I just find it hard to believe that there are people like OP.

This might as well be bait. You're retarded, OP.

I am for about a week now. I used to have arch on my laptop, win7 on my desktop. Now that I don't play that many games anymore I have switched to linux on my desktop too. I didn't like some of the issues I was having with arch because of the bleeding edge (GTK update broke my menu + buttons in emacs lol) so I went DE-less debian install this time. Very happy with it. Also steam makes running the few games that I still play very easy. I was surprised. I just downloaded and it just werks

Install Gentoo. It's like arch except significantly easier to customize and with access to stable, old, testing or bleeding-edge packages.

But no AUR and overlays suck

Overlays are god-tier and you don't need aur because it's basically a shitty version of portage in the first place.

meh, I like tinkering as in trying to set up a nice system exactly as I want it, but I'm kinda done with trying to get broken packages to work correctly. Though debian is maybe going a bit far. Next time I'll try fedora I guess.

I am using Linux on my PCs without dual-booting.
I run various distros in virtual machines.

Fedora is completely broken by design. The compile-everything model of gentoo ensures that either a package compiles and works, or it may or may not work. This also helps tremendously when updating libraries. As such, gentoo is the OS that has given me the most stability of all I've tried (and I have tried debian for 6 months - it was broken as shit half the time because stable in debian-land means "doesn't change, even to fix bugs", rather than "works fine").

hmm, I guess I'll have to look into it. Building everything from source sounds like quite a hassle and I don't suppose it has better support than either arch or debian, but I might try it someday. I'm really comfy now, maybe when debian breaks I'll try it.

Just installed Fedora on my GS60. never even booted windows.

1. the gnome image writer screwed up

2. I then screwed up the dd (writing to /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sdb)

3. Fedora Live then required that 'nomodeset' be added to boot options before graphics would come up

4. I am now probably in some terrible state of sin wrt graphics, but I'll deal with it after this dnf update finishes and I can get some work done.

and after work and graphics unfuckery, Steam, and XCom2, a game which sucks on my intel-only laptop still.

if Windows10 weren't such spyware I might've just installed Linux into virtualbox and used windows for games.

it's not a hassle at all. It's just slower, louder (fans might kick up during compilation), and more flexible. And less convenient in some ways: Fedora has delta-RPMS that reduce 1GB downloads to 200MB downloads. RPMs let you do things like ask "hey where did this file come from?" and "hey has any installed file from dildo.i686 been modified?"

but hassle? like more work for you? no, it's about the same except that you might want to spend some time tweaking USE flags.

Equery does that too: equery belongs is the first one, and equery check does the latter.

If muh_gaymin is important to you user, I'd recommend Ubuntu or Mint instead. I also imagine either will have you up and going in no time as well.

I've been almost exclusively Loonix for ~5 years, Arch with xmonad.
Where the "almost" is installing Windows Botnet Edition to play Witcher 3.
Other than that I use Arch for programming, drawing, watching Chinese cartoons, writing stuff in LaTeX, streaming music on my LAN with mpd and playing whatever games that are native or WINE can run.
I don't really look back, installing libraries and programming in general is less of a hassle on the real operating system.

There's is literally no reason to use wangblows outside of MUH GAMES, and even then that's hardly a reason any more. There is nothing redeeming about windows at all, why would I dual boot? I honestly think I might rather use a mac these days just for the terminal.

Fair enough then.

Anime + vidya >>>>>> shitty pepe's.
checked

except anyone can download a windows torrent and use windows, the fox has no way to get those grapes, but linux users have tons of ways to get windows retard

Why does everyone hate on videogames? Sure they waste time, but sometimes it's good to unwind you hardons.

I mean, I play on ps2 because all my PCs and laptoppen are single boot Linux and the japs don't PC game and they crank out stylish vidya.

You know, you can taste a candy bar and then get mad when mommy won't buy you a candy bar the next time.

desktop, openbsd
laptop, freebsd

jewhat/gnoooo can go fuck themselves

Sauce?

Oh yeah. Also, I use Gentoo for everything. I do all my office work in LaTeX with Vim. I cross-compiled Gentoo for my netbook by chrooting into a thumb drive. There's not a single thing (besides gaming) that I don't do entirely with Gentoo Linux.

I dual boot Windows 8, and changed its shell so it just boots directly to Steam in big picture mode. I'll try that GPU passthrough thing again when I have the right hardware for it (I got a GTX 760).

I haven't used windows since sometime in 2008

ubuttchew.

divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/c.html

So are overlays terrible or god-tier

someone explain pls

They're just like PPAs, except a selection of them are listed from the get go as options by layman, and tons of formats are supported.

I am.

I have absolutely no reason to use Windows

I've only had Linux on all of my computers for maybe a year.

I accidentally destroyed the windows in my NTFS partition not so long ago.

I don't use a desktop-- I have one computing device, not counting my phone, and that's my IBM X60. It's running Void Linux and it works like a charm. This thing was running Windows 7 when I bought it, but I never even booted into it.

I haven't used Windows on a personal device of mine in over a year.

Said candy bar is easily downloaded from the internet. In fact, I still have stock of said candy bar and give it out for plebs with shit taste. I simply don't want it.

I have a windows 7 vm for emergencies, kvm runs fantastically nowadays.

I don't dual boot, don't have to, if I really want to I can pass a graphics card to my vm for gaming.

Android, Cloud, Windows, iOS, they all get you hooked on their way of doing things, when you just learn that *nix is different everything falls into place,

Do you really think that somebody here couldn't torrent or buy windows and use it if they really wanted to? What is hindering them like the fox? The problem with your argument is that linux is the grapes, not windows.

Like the grapes, Linux is desirable because it respects your freedoms, doesn't spy on you, is free, and is infinitely more customizable than windows.

For the fox (Windows users and retards like you), it is unreachable because they are too fucking stupid to install an operating system, configure shit, and maintain their fucking system. It really isn't that hard to understand, and most people here will agree.

same!

Only reason I duel boot is because gaming on a linux is kinda shitty, but for productivity, it's fucking rad.

So, who wins?

I dual-boot with Kubuntu and KXStudio :^) .

Ah Linucucks, never change.

But while we are on the subject. Windows are the grapes because it's infinitely better than Linux. The only reason you use linux is a one-up and an epeen enhancer. Everyone who does anything professional on a desktop uses Windows. Even if they don't use Windows they use Mac. No one uses Linux seriously.

I use and enjoy Linux, but lets be fucking real here

I went from Ubuntu/Unity > Crunchbang (Debian) > Xubuntu > Arch > Debian Stable > Xubuntu Core. During arch I switched to i3wm and *never* looked back.

I use Windows at work but Xubuntu/i3 is never really a problem for home/school usage.

Pros:
- FAST AS FUCK. Windows or OSX cannot compare to its speed in booting or running programs.
- Customization. Choose whatever window manager or desktop environment you want and custom keybindings are super easy. Configuring programs is typically as easy as finding their configuration files and reading the documentation.
- Educational: I've learned so much about command line operation that it is the way I typically preform functions. I'm leaps ahead of anyone in my IT and CS classes simply because it has made me computer literate.
- Installing programs is a breeze. For example, I wanted to do a speedtest for a certain ethernet port at work. I plugged in my computer and realized I didn't have a utility for it installed. Faster than I could open firefox and go to speedtest.com, I ran "sudo apt-get install speedtest-cli && speedtest-cli" and got instant results.
- Seriously, the command line is great. Don't know what the "mkdir" command does? Type "man mkdir" in the terminal to see a complete documentation document on the command including an explanation of flags and arguments. Want to put the output of a certain command into a text file? Pipe it! There's a reason any programmer (besides those living in comfy ol' Windows-land) needs the command line.

Cons:
- Laptop power usage is lackluster. I get 3.5 hours on a Thinkpad t420.
- Can't play too many games, but since I've used linux I've stopped playing games (besides dwarf fortress). I've been more productive since giving up gaming so one could consider this a plus.
- Things sometimes break. It only really breaks when you screw with core packages but you might need to reinstall every once in a while if you are adventurous. Back up important shit.

I'd highly recommend taking the plunge, but start with Xubuntu or any Ubuntu derivative since there's so many forum posts and advice online. If you run into problems, google the issue or ask people on an IRC or here.

People may say "install gentoo" or try to act all leet with their anime riced arch install, but start small and simple with Ubuntu or Debian. There's the rest of your life to try anything else.

Umm, likewise?

Nice try, fam.

I'm not sure if I should pull an implying or just call you a faggot.

I think I'll just call you a faggot.

That's what people with no arguments do. Nice try, fam.

Well, you're a faggot fam. And you also like the cock. Did I mention you like buttsex?

You seem to have dicks on your mind. Maybe that's why you use windows. GNU/Linux users are pure wizards that use LISP to make love to computers.

I can't think of a witty quip. So I'm gonna tap out.

I am. Debian 8 - xfce

Why would using something so beautiful and useful be "kind of a meme"?

I bet it does work, and the test submitter is just an autist.

I think DS3 is DX11 only, which is not yet well supported

I use Windows 10 on my main PC and Fedora with LXDE on my ARM computer
I don't even know why I have the ARM computer, since I figured I could pull it out if I ever wanted to do shit that "requires" GNU/Linux except literally EVERYTHING I ever needed to do that required GNU/Linux I could actually do fine either by finding a Windows solution or with Cygwin, so my ARM PC kind sits gathering dust although I think I might use it as a server to access my files remotely like if I want to pull up a file away from home I could go to my smartphone and type in my personal IP address to an ftp server or some shit

You know what you can't use Windows for? Freedom.

I'll make sure to hold onto my alt computer when the so-called "cyberpunk" future happens and free software is banned after the x86_64 botnet is activated all at once

slackware exwm(emacs as a wm) + a sjwbsd partition.
no windows

You're living in a cyberpunk future, fam. It just happens to still look boring as shit. Free software is the only means by which the user can guarantee his freedoms.

Does someone here have a good tutorial on GPU passtrough?
Thanks in advance friends.

Should addend your query to ask about how many people are using it without dual-booting and without using virtual machines OP.

Shitty, horrendous, awful advice. Jewbuntu and Debian are terrible things to start with. Most GNU/LInux operating systems are shit and needlessly complex because they don't follow the UNIX philosophy anymore.

Slackware should be everyone's first, and last distro (unless they need bleeding edge software, like Gentoo provides although that's not a good first distro.)

If Slack didn't exist I'd tell everyone not to bother with GNU/Linux at all and grab a BSD. Linux is a shit kernel, which isn't a huge deal to most people so it's usable but when you throw in system dicks and a bunch of other crazy shit you might as well use OSX, as at least you'll have great proprietary software support.

I hear Void and Crux are good and they look good but you get the point. BSD > GNU/Linux

This whole SteamOS might actually bring about the year of the linux desktop because it makes playing games on linux so damn easy (even with just the regular client because of what they did) Also steam will probably go for compatibility with other linux too because it's so close anyway, why not take that bit of market share?
If steam succeeds, I think we might finally see Linux become popular enough to get major support from all sides. If steam doesn't do it however, I don't see what will

I started on Ubuntu because I heard it was the easiest Linux. I couldn't do jack shit in it and didn't understand it at all.

So then I tried arch. Installing was a pain, "what am I doing" feelings throughout, but after a day of constantly googling every fucking command I could do all the basic stuff in the terminal and had no real issues with Linux anymore. This was about half a year ago and since a week I have had full Linux on all devices.

I am.

I don't really play any games that don't already run on linux so I don't have an excuse to use windows for any reason.

Yeah with all the NSA backdoors in Linux it will be real easy to have """freedom""" xD

I am. I must say however that I do have a Windows VM because my university is literally a jewish Microsoft indoctrination camp.

With that said, the VM gets deleted every semester and will be perma-deleted after I finish this course.

DX10 and 11 don't work correctly 90% of the time yet.

The only bsd worth a shit is freebsd, and the devs don't understand shit about critical security topics (like RNGs). At least it's not _open_BSD: "wideopen by default" "also we offer no way to make it secure" "it's bloat after all" "oh look, we just started implementing a feature even windows has had for 15 years, we're so innovative and at the bleeding edge of security!".

why isn't normiezip a thing? I only ever extract by right click and if I need more power in my zip tools I just use the commandline.

where's the zip program I can use while I'm hammered.

Layering shit on top of more shit and hoping that the attacker doesn't get through is certainly a valid approach to security, but that doesn't mean it's the only valid approach.

It's not a meme and the majority of us. I haven't booted windows on a machine I use in four years, though my wife will probably never stop being a macfag.

It's necessary to have at least a few layers unless you have a formal proof of correctness for the system. Even if you have a formal proof of correctness, you're not guaranteed to have a correct proof, nor that the proof covers everything. That's why you need layers.

Hardening on a single layer is pointless because it means that a single flaw, a single oversight, and your entire system dies, no matter how hardened your one layer is. On the other hand, if you have 2 layers and both are almost completely unhardened, one would have to find a crack in both layers to be able to do anything bad on the system. Needless to say, the likelihood that there's a crack in two separate systems at the same time is significantly less than the likelihood that there's a single crack in a single system.

Anyway, even theo agrees on that, since he backpedaled on everything he's ever said and started work on implementing the features he called "bloat" "additional attack surface" and "useless" just a week before.

I am sufficently convinced that this post was specially crafted to make Linux users look like morons.

Slackwarefags are all like that, just ignore them and maybe one day they'll go away.

It would be better if you end yourself

That is true for systems of the same quality (security-wise) - which clearly isn't the case with "just werks" program&selinux and something written with security in mind using stuff like pledge.

Manjaro in use over here.

Will switch to vanilla Arch as soon as AMD fixes their fucking no drivers meme.

Or Void if they can be deemed just-werking

Shame Steam is pure fucking cancer though.

Proof? I can compile my kernel with or without Selinux. I chose to use it though. It's open source, and it doesn't make sense that the NSA would backdoor the software that they use. Tor was started by the US Navy. The internet itself is from the US military. I don't use SystemD though.

But systemd is the single biggest improvement for linux in recent years
I don't understand why all you autists hate it so much

Fuck off, lennart.

That felt like something some one three years ago would say, you know, before they blew it with steam machines.

How comes some of the downloads don't work?

only reason i reboot into windows is to play muh gaymes. i have absolutely no other reason whatsoever to use windows or osx. some people need to run weird windows-only apps but thankfully i'm not one of those.

I have been using linux only for about 12 years at home. Debian stable for 10 years.

I still use windows: support and use it at work, and sometimes I boot up a vm at home, though that's been a while.

DEBIAN

It's a slow piece of shit (sysvinit is faster for me and I've done tests to prove SystemD is a slow piece of shit so fuck your stupid goblin looking face lennart), it's also taking over standard Linux shit it shouldn't be touching.

Oh and another thing SystemD was the reason a small distro I really fucking like died.

Lennart, when you die, I plan to find out where your grave is and take a shit on it.

I have two separate machines, one running Linux, the other running Windows 7. I use the one I need.

It works for me, what can I say?

I did try others before that, chronologically:

freebsd (I couldn't get x running)
mandrake (later known as mandriva)
suse (I hated kde, and I did not know you could change it)
redhat (until they announced they would be charging for updates)

Then I looked for the most free OS there could possibly be, read the debian manifesto, tried it and stuck to it.

Later tried ubuntu when it came out, didn't like it, I called it dumbuntu.

I really think I should try slack or gentoo, but now I'm so used to debian that I'm just too lazy to start using/learning another OS

I have become the odd relative you all have or know, that has grown stuck on using the software used 10+ years ago and cannot be persuaded to change, only I use debian, and not fucking mickeysoft

My mistake. I was praising you for using debian. I however use it with kde.

KDE

I welcome you kind sir for using debian. But KDE is a no-no for me. XFCE is my cup of tea.

Well freedom of choice is what is important in the end I guess

Cheers mate!

Literally the only reason I use kde is because it has the "pin" functionality which is the only thing I like about win7.
Don't know how to make that work in xfce.

Add a launcher to the panel.
Also MATE is the only good modern DE.

Hello, Satan. What is nonfree about KDE?

Cyberpunk got too hyped.

such wit

i do about 90 percent of the time. Once in a while ill download a new game, but most of my gaymen is on MAME or DOSbox.

on my five machines, Slacko Puppy, LXLE, Debian, XFCE, and XFCE. Several Windows VM's on them though.

If that is your interpretation,you should put some thought into it.

One day if I keep ignoring Archfags/Debianiggers they'll go away.

I always would've recommended that a normie go with Linux Mint, but me? nah...
well but after literally hours of wrestling with Fedora and then CentOS7, I went with Linux Mint myself.

Still had to nomodeset to get it to boot at all (although 'compatibility mode' probably would've worked), but once it was booted I used the driver manager to install the recommended nvidia drivers, and it just werks.

Void install, i3wm for DE -> Desktop.

Void install, LXDE for DE -> Laptop.

Windows never even booted on the laptop, booted straight to USB and wiped that shit.

I have been using GNU/Linux exclusively since 2011; and from 2009 to 2011 I only used Windows ocassionally.

I stopped using proprietary software altogether (even the BIOS) in Jan 2015

Then you should probably start using an LE instead of a DE.

Are you fucking serious right now?

I have never used Windows 7 on a computer that I owned.

I have never dual-booted.

I use Debian testing on my desktop and laptop, and a variety of distros and alternative operating systems for other projects.

Everything can talk to everything painlessly.

Microsoft has been paying computer manufacturers to use their OS for years now, especially now that they're an OEM company making their own x86 computers aimed at consumers and businesses. The Windows tax technically doesn't exist anymore and over 2 years ago as part as their tablet plan they've said for devices with a screen under 9" it was free licensing.

I've yet to see a modern tablet in person that has any version of Windows on it, only slates from the winxp and vista era. And I've seen people using tablets almost every day going on 2 years now.

Guys PLEASE tell me, what is the actual difference? I've used Windows mostly all my life and just got a Mac and like the (small) differences but really what in the actual fuck is the difference? I keep reading about using Linux but I have no use (only interest) for it and it's usually being 'memed'

Some intro first, just in case.
A Linux distribution is an operating system (and usually accompanying software) that you can download and install on your computer. It takes the place of OS X or Windows.

The main difference is that Linux distributions are made up of Free Software, which is software that is licensed in a way that ensures the users have certain rights. You can read about that here:
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

That's why there are many "distributions" of Linux - because anyone can create their own remix of the kernel, operating system, and programs.

Linux distributions are also different from Windows in the way that they are set up and work, so your Windows programs won't run on Linux (but you can install a tool to run many of them, called Wine).

Since Linux distributions are free software, they are largely supported by big communities of developers and users.
This article expands on the differences between Windows and Linux:
linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

I encourage you to give it a try and experience Linux for yourself. Most distributions are installed with a flash drive, and often you can "live-boot" from the flash drive to try out Linux on your computer without even having to install anything on your hard drive.

A simple and lightweight distribution of Linux is Xubuntu:
xubuntu.org/screenshots/

Another more feature-ful distribution is Kubuntu:
kubuntu.org/feature-tour/

If you'd like any help trying out or installing Linux, make a post in the help thread and link it here. I'll come on over.

I don't dual boot but I still have my old win PC. Once in a while I warm it up to play a game on it.

Trisquel here. I use libreoffice for work stuff.

How is it a meme? What could you possibly need a dual boot for? If your hand is forced, just use a vm.
don't say games, you are not a child

I will say games though. Some games will just not fucking install and work properly, even with WINE. Especially the new ones. Also games are the only thing where I can notice my drivers being worse than on windows. And games are the one thing a virtual machine will be too slow for.

I've been using only linux mint since the start of the year and I haven't run into anything I couldn't do yet. New games aren't interesting enough for me to give a shit and old games all work. 95% of the time if I need some kind of software there will be something on the software manager that does exactly what I need and I can download and start using within 1 minute.

Ill be honest here, i dual boot vista, because I don't know how to get the svideo port to show up on my tv on xubuntu to play movies yet..

I was until dark souls 3 came out, now i'm dualbootin. Never actually boot windows unless I want to play dark souls 3.

There's no harm, and it might help a lurker take their first steps toward freedom.

I do. I also use it on my laptop. Sometimes I boot FreeDOS from a USB stick on both for old vidya. (DOSBox and other emulators have their issues) I set up a Windows XP virtual machine a while ago so I could use the ROM flasher for a shitty Chinese Gameboy flash cart. (it doesn't work on any other version either) I use it for a few other programs that don't work well with WINE like Doom Builder and old games like Worlds.com.

I have a spare laptop hard drive with Windows 7 on it that I plug in when I want to play games that don't work with WINE. I haven't used it for around a year because I'm not a fan of shitty AAA games.

go back 2 facebook plz

I ADMIT IT
I DUAL BOOT
multiple GNU/linux distros, that is

I absolutely rely on dual-booting. OpenSUSE and Ubuntu.