Does development of Wine help or hinder the Linux adoption rate...

Does development of Wine help or hinder the Linux adoption rate? Wouldn't it just encourage developers to continue writing programs only for Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computability_theory
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It makes it easier to crack and reverse-engineer windows software. Those developers can't comprehend things like per-app sandboxes, disk snapshot rewinding, or an OS behind the 4th wall, and so are completely impotent against them.

Mp4explorer doesn't work with wine =(

It helps, because Linux needs software, and when WINE gets good enough it wouldn't make a difference whether or not the software is written for Linux, because people would be able to run it.

No.

If Wine didn't exist, those developers wouldn't write the programs for Linux at all. There's the failure in your logic.
With Wine, we at least got a chance some Windows programs will work somewhat

Is there such a thing as a 'reverse-WINE'? i.e something that will allow Linux-only stuff to run in Windoze?

The whole Windows userspace runs on "reverse WINE".

You see, while Windows has syscalls, they are not documented for public.
Instead, Windows uses a layer called "Environmental Subsystems" in userspace that translates API calls into syscalls.
The most well-known subsystem is Win32. There was a (now discontinued) OS/2 subsystem as well.
The whole "Ubuntu on Windows 10" thing is being implemented as just another subsystem.

If you hang around websites that specialize in emulation, most define it as simulation of hardware (emulator-zone.com and emuparadise.me define it as a program which mimics other systems, such as game consoles) , while many in the Linux community define it as any that simulates hardware, APIs, or other thing needed to make software written for another system/OS operate. I tend to side with the view that emulation means simulation of hardware.

One of the major factors in me moving from Windows to PC-BSD (obviously not Linux) was Wine and when another user here, suggested that I use KaOS (a KDE-based Linux distro with a ratter ridged QT and 64-bit software only limitation [I have a 64-bit processor but, Wine is not a 64-bit program) instead I decided not to because it doesn't work with.

The closest thing is Cygwin which work but, not at all perfect and some program need to be compiled for them to work,

Nowadays with virtualization on bare metal becoming more prevalent Wine is going to start losing users once it becomes easier to use.

By the end of next year most desktop gnu/linux users will probably be able to run programs that only work in W10 in a VM as easily as we can run .exe files by double clicking on them and running them in Wine right now. The only difference will be 100% compatibility and 95-99% performance compared to running it on the native OS.

That's why MS is putting Ubuntu support in W10 for 'power users'. They know the writing is on the wall for software exclusivity in their ecosystem. They're not embracing FLOSS because they want to kill it, they have no choice at this point.

plot twist:
will the port of GNU/Ubuntu userspace to Windows 10 hinder GNU/Linux adoption?

Most development software and web software is going to run unchanged under Windows, so retards will be able to follow GNU/Linux instructions without leaving Windows.

I bet 95% of all Wine use cases are running proprietary software. 99% of all free software is available to Linux natively.

I'd say it helps. Yesterday I needed software to extract Xbox ISO files, and I could just run it in Wine flawlessly.

99% of free software is software made for developers, it's completely irrelevant to normies.

T-Take that PC

I wouldn't even use Linux if I couldn't run a lot of my Windows games on it.

It's hilarious how delusional all these linuxfags are am I right?

I get where you're coming from and agree to an extent but I don't think you're entirely correct and here's why:

People care about privacy. Well, some people. But those that do, especially to greater extent, want to use libre software.
Because the programmers who know the languages that software is written in can tell everybody else what all it does; and you don't just have to believe whatever the developers tell you,
you can feel safe knowing that you're not being spied on by the developers or having information taken and sold to social media and similar services/companies.

Another thing to consider is that perhaps many people aren't encouraged to learn how to program because they can't access the software that they use to learn about how it all works.

It's said the best way to learn a foreign language is to talk to a native speaker. But when the native speaker is in a sound-proof cage under lock and key, they're useless to you.

Some actually do HOWEVER recent development on linux is actually taking privacy away from users.
More and more closed source shit makes its way into linux. More apps that spy on the user and upload everything into the """cloud""" appear for linux.
Once enough people use Linux it will become as bad as windows...

No, our software is great, often times it's better, but it's not the software people are used to or find easy to use, because software for Linux is usually made for non-normies.

I always figured it was just a meme, or maybe something legal.

What's with freetards and recursive acronyms?

Like what?

Also why are people still talking about privacy? WE LOST. There's facial recognition at walmart for fucks sake.

We live in a cybernetic age where god-like technological organisms lord over us, measuring us, always optimizing. It's not going away, because any absence of their presence is now a power vacuum. Get used to it. Traditional human boundaries are done.

Because M$ is stupid and doesn't give a shit. WINE just translates Windows to Linux

recursive definitions are like the fucking gist of computability
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computability_theory

bump to compensate for sage

sage to compensate for bump

Knob off NSA.

It's a hacker thing.

But of course you wouldn't know a thing about that.

Why would it hinder it? If only Void got their shit together and packaged wine for musl variant of their os i'd switch to linux full time actually tried to compile it myself but couldn't succesfully get 32 bit side work. used lxc container for 32 bit, 64bit side compiled fine.