Are the borg supposed to be an analogy for communism?

Are the borg supposed to be an analogy for communism?

Other urls found in this thread:

thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.ca/2009/09/and-now-we-present-complete-star-trek_19.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no. rodenberry was openly communist.

wtf does openly communist mean in the 80's? bitches from the 50's who were openly commies were the real niggas, roddenberry a shit

More an analogy of big government taking control of your entire lives.

Man, you guys overthink this stuff.

They're just a representation of a grey goo scenario.

And useful plot device.

If Roddenberry was communist, then wouldn't he have made the Borg the heroes? Or are the Borg an analogy for capitalism?

I think Rodenberry was either dead by then or had no control over Star Trek at that point.

starfleet was already his communist mary sue.

Starfleets hates the Borg because the Borg are the perfection of equality and social justice. Its like looking into a mirror and not seeing the reflection.

Too human for grey goo though.

They were probably supposed to be a metaphor for Imperialism or something. Star Trek writers have a great habit of totally fucking up attempts at metaphors.

yeah, leftists like Roddenberry hate it when the government controls things

Then what are the Borg? A Nazi mary sue?

Yet in Star Trek it does. Or in the Federation at least.

The Borg wasn't invented by Roddenberry. He would have made them all fanatics of some kind of false god for the enlightened Federation to usurp.

test

more like collectivism in general

Didn't they get rid of him after the first TOS movie? I think the whole borg thing came after, right?

is voyager watching?
i've watched some episodes from TOS, all of the next generation, nearly all of DS9 (skipped the stuff after dukat goes insane), all of Enterprise
i've seen some of the movies
the only good thing i've heard about voyager so far is that there was a klingon vs nazi scene, and that there might be cardassians in it

They did, but that's not what they were going for.

He was heavily involved in early TNG. But his influence died down after season 2 when his health took a turn for the worse. Funnily, that's right when the show got good.

It's pretty much a worse TNG for the most part. Not unwatchably bad, but it's one of the less remarkable shows.

No. That would be the crew of the Enterprise and the Federation. The Borg were simply militant transhumanist faggots.

Roddenberry's faggotry extended only to the first season which is why it was so shit. After he chocked the series got a little better but it was still steeped in his faggotry. DS9 was infinitely better though.

The Federation are Libertarians and the Borg are Communists.

lel

Avarice taken to a ridiculous extreme. They attempt to absorb all the technology and genetic information of everyone they come across in an effort to become more effective at absorbing other species. A lot of the tech they have is redundant: can you imagine a Borg caring about Talaxian cooking, Klingon opera or spending time on the holodeck?

Probably the invention of some 90's LA buddhist.

I always just thought the borg were high-concept horror. The technology has never existed to assimilate people, but maybe some aliens would take that approach to civilization.

Out of seven seasons (160-something or 170-something episodes), you can get by and absorb the general plot line by just watching a couple dozen episodes.

So much of it is completely inconsequential or adds nothing to the overall story. Anomaly of the week. Wacky alien race of the week. Voyager's in trouble this could be the end what do we do, well we couple the phase inducers to the deflector dish and divert warp power to the transporter of the week.

That show had a lot of potential, but they wasted it.

If you want a complete and thorough ST experience, there's always this:
thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.ca/2009/09/and-now-we-present-complete-star-trek_19.html
Every episode of every series and every movie in chronological order.

If you just want a condensed experience of Voyager, to get the essence of the show with some recurring bad guys, here's my recommendation:

[1/1]

Season 1
Episode 1-2 Caretaker
Ep 3 Parallax
Ep 5 Phage
Ep 7 Eye of the Needle
Ep 11 State of Flux
Ep 16 Learning Curve

Season 2
Ep 2 Initiations
Ep 10 Cold Fire
Ep 11 Maneuvers
Ep 14 Alliances
Ep 19 Lifesigns
Ep 26 Basics

Season 3
Ep 1 Basics (pt 2)
Ep 8-9 Future's End 1&2
Ep 17 Unity
Ep 21 Before and After
Ep 26 Scorpion

Season 4
Ep 1 Scorpion (pt 2)
Ep 2 The Gift
Ep 6 The Raven
Ep 8-9 Year of Hell 1&2
Ep 14 Message in a Bottle
Ep 15 Hunters
Ep 16 Prey
Ep 18-19 The Killing Game 1&2

Season 5
Ep 2 Drone
Ep 4 In the Flesh
Ep 15-16 Dark Frontier 1&2
Ep 24 Relativity
Ep 26 Equinox

Season 6
Ep 1 Equinox (pt 2)
Ep 2 Survival Instinct
Ep 7 Dragon's Teeth
Ep 16 Collective
Ep 19 Child's Play
Ep 23 Fury
Ep 26 Unimatrix Zero

Season 7
Ep 1 Unimatrix Zero (pt 2)
Ep 2 Imperfection
Ep 4 Repression
Ep 9-10 Flesh and Blood 1&2
Ep 25-26 Endgame

That's it. That's all you need to see of Voyager. You could binge that in a couple weekends or watch a couple episodes every night after work (assuming), binge a little on Saturday and be done with it in a week.

were the oompa loompa an analogy for the working class ?

yes

Yeah, it was that until they fucked it over with the whole borg queen shit.
I'm still fucking salty about that, they ruined it all, forever.
They went from "hydra with trillions of heads" to just "generic insectoid/hive villian #4765".
Even then, The borg would be something like infoaddicts, knowledge for the sake of knowledge, wanting to learn everything and, wrongfully, not putting the effort into learning, but into assimilating from other peoples. A parasite, but of information.

Star Trek is an inadvertent red pill.

Why do Klingons act like they do?

because they're Klingons.

Why do Ferengi and Jem Hadar act like they do?

because they're Ferengi and Jem Hadar.

That's biological determinism.

All the wars in Star Trek are fought along racial lines.

You forgot:

I always wondered if there were semen Roombas on the Holo decks, why else would you go there other than training or to create imaginary scenarios where you kill your annoying co-workers?

No, they used to be black people who worked for chocolate until (((political correctness))) had its way

Negative ghost-rider.

They are proof that "little people" should dress like the clowns they are, sing and dance for human amusement.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Same could be said of humans though. All we really do is fuck and make more humans just for the sake of making more humans, and the vast majority of information we absorb is "useless" as it just serves to pass the time between being born, fucking, and dying.

Speak for yourself flesh-cuck.

I attempt to improve myself everyday, there is more to life than sex and government approved information.

You forgot your name

Spock came off pretty good being half Vulcan and half human despite that conflict being a core part of his character.

Generally being half human improved the race, Worf's wife and B'Elanna were better than stock Klingons.

The general theme of Star Trek is human(white) superiority..

Actually, the borg was an analogy for the ultra-secret memetic society that kidnaps those who learn any inforDUXJWNDKRJF

Like TNG. But better. No Wesley, and it gets good quicker.

It has other problems tho.

Just remember. It was the TNG crew that destroyed the Borg.

Voyager just dug up the grave and danced a marry jig with it.

They are generally supposed to be a metaphor for totalitarian systems and collectivism. It's a tradition in sci-fi to use hive-minded insect like species to represent totalitarianism. And although Roddenberry was a filthy commie, the writers managed to put some individualist values into the scripts here and there.
Here is a quote from The best of both worlds:

Picard: Impossible. My culture is based on freedom and self-determination.

Borg: Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply.

Spock was constantly repressing himself 99% of the time. Extreme stress constantly brought out an emotional reaction in him. Worf's wife and B'Elanna looked weaker than a full blooded female Klingon, how is that better?

Yes, I know.
Pure, unbridled shit.
Star Trek keeps ruining everything good about itself, it's impressive.

Spock was a combination of the two most perfect races in the show. Dukat's daughter didn't have it so good.

explain

I can't believe they did not try to make sexy Vulcan's before T'Pol.

so communism.

[Muffled not real communism in the distance]

Yup. No individuality. Top kek.

I can see this being the intention. They travel from system to system, planet to planet and forcibly incorporate other cultures into their own where they are forced to undergo whatever procedure to become just like the borg.

Considering the way Roddenberry was that seems more realistic than it being a jab at communism that got snuck in under his nose.

Fucking obvious redditor/half-channer.
Season 1 and 2 had some of the best episodes in the entire series.

Democrats are obsessed with identity politics.

nah.

Maybe they are an example of a diverse culture that went horribly wrong because they didn't accept to get culturally enriched and instead force everyone to adhere to their own standards.

Which is why Starfleet eventually prevailed thanks to their diverse and inclusive culture that accepts all colors and genders.

Star Trek is a hilarious to watch if you keep in mind the entire time that it was written by leftists.

I mean, look at how often the characters broke starfleet's rules when their attempts to follow them were shown to be untenable with operating in reality…

Also you apparently missed all the episodes where picard is waffling on and on on how important it is to uphold the principles of the Federation.

What are you, sixteen?

Is the end of the world due to greed supposed to be an analogy for capitalism?

But they add the distinctiveness of other species to their own. It's all there.

I think a certain degree of it comes from writers quietly rebelling against Rodenberry's bullshit. That's basically what half of DS9 was.

Of course it was. EVERYTHING WAS, when it came to politics in scifi. Back then we didn't have a single shred of doubt.

Shut your whore mouth.

is this a Kardashian reference?

The space race mirrored the arms race between East and West. Not only it was strategic to conquer space (ICBMs being the product), but a gigantic PR war effort as well.

Science fiction echoed this theme, of course. Up to the 80s, the rivalry between the 2 halves of the world was omnipresent in all war fiction. You probably can't realize just how big the thing was, as if you could turn it off and ignore it.

Selar, season 2 TNG

Suzy Plakson is still sexy

They got into so many insane situations, it has to be normal by then.

Damn. Why did the hottest woman on the show not get more airtime? She was that one vulcan and that one klingon woman who died.

Vulcan women are such qts. T'Pol is a shit because they tried to eversexualise her which completely misses the point of why vulcans were sexy.

Are they sexy because of autism? Please enlighten me because I see vaguely looking Jewish women. Is is a Jewish fetish? >>>/jewess/