ITT list programming languages in the order you learnt them

Other urls found in this thread:

softronix.com/logo.html)
youtube.com/watch?v=6COvD8oynmI#t=60m33;
akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8jOj7diA0&index=1&list=PL9D558D49CA734A02
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Malbolge

Define "learnt". I think what really happens is you learn many languages at the same time, by browsing Holla Forums for instance. You just learn some more quickly.

Javascript
GML
Batch
LUA
SmallBasic
Python3
Bash
Intel x86 Assembly
C++
C

C
Java
C++
Javascript
Python
Bash
Scheme

>HTML Not a programming language
>LaTeX not a programming language but useful enough

I'm planning on biting the bullet and learning Javascript and the rest of web-dev, because I need a job

By "learnt", I assume you mean gaining profficiency. Well I don't remember. C++ was my first language. I guess I was kinda OK with a bunch of others, but Java was the next one I really got down solid. That burst the dam, and I ended up becoming profficient in too many languages to list in order.

>BASIC Commodore BASIC v2 when I got a a used Commodore 64 a couple years ago
Well thats pretty much it tbh I don't do much serious programming

C
C++
VBA
Java
x86 assembler (...not really, just enough to read and modify instructions in debugger)
AVM2 bytecode, IL bytecode (same thing)
C#
Javascript
Scheme, Rust (surface scratch)
D
Python

Where I'd say I'm proficient with C, Ruby, Javascript and Clojure, the rest I know enough to get around but didn't write anything significant beyond either university projects or simple exercises, so I understand basic concepts of each, but wouldn't feel confident enough to do paid work in right off the bat.

Ruby
HTML/CSS (If you count it)
C++

I do most things in Mathematica, use Racket heavily and when I need it I'll use C.

Ah forgot some assembly languages.

English
PowerPoint
Pig Latin
BB Code
HTML 4.01
XHTML 1.1
RPG Maker
Wikimedia Markup
HTML 5
CSS 3

I'm a social media expert and diversity manager

Gentoo

Javascript
C++

R
Java
Python
Lua

no bully pls

You forgot Javascript

Fucking learn C already you fucking CS disgraces.

Top kek, m8; it's one of the less Computer Sciency languages around.
Not that it's a bad language and I agree every programmer should know it, but it's just for low-level hardware-loving faggots who do low-level shit daily and CS is a quite high level science compared to that. It's just a fucking slightly abstracted assembly : V

Also, I've actually learnt C somewhen before Haskell, just forgot to put it in the greentext, nigger.

Now that's a hipster.

That's exactly what I intended to say, maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was they are CS literal codemonkeys who ought to learn C so that they can appreciate efficiency.

Yeah, I can agree with the sentiment of learning C (and preferably reading "What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory") to be aware what efficiency requires, though I wouldn't call CS people
Legit CS research is pretty damn important IMO and you have to be pretty smart to grok type theory and the likes.
The problem is fucking curricula based on Java or some stupid shit teaching you braindead OOP - because that's what the dumbfuck industry requires - instead of, say, Racket (for alogrithms) followed by C (for efficiency) or sth. MIT deprecating SICP in favour of Python was a fucking disgrace.

How many languages share a syntax? Would it be correct to classify languages by syntax type or macrotype?

fucking casuals

But what's the point? Syntax is pretty superficial, if you care about syntax then you're just a casul faggot.
It's like classifying cars not on how it drives, but on how it looks. Contrary to popular belief red cars don't drive 3x faster : V

C++ (big mistake)
TI Basic
Java
PHP
Javascript (a bit)
C#
Python
Scheme
Common Lisp (still learning)
C (still learning)

Except syntax actually influences how you work with the languages. The amount you have to type etc.

Legit CS: Math

Well, yeah. Never said it's not. It's just bullshit calling courses that learn only programming "CS".

But that's exactly why we have the classes called pickup, sedan, monster truck, convertible, etc. : they all look mostly alike in each category.

Oh for sure, just compare Java 7 vs. Java 8 with regard to anonymous functions. Before 8 you'd be insane to try use higher-order functions, with 8 it's almost nice (as nice as it's possible for Java to be). It doesn't suddenly make it a functional language though, does it? It's still Java, just with nice sugar for anonymous classes or whatever that was called.
And yes, I surely agree that having a succinct way to express certain idioms is nice and moves the balance of language towards more common usage of those idioms, but in no way it changes the language as it is. it just makes it "handier".

And besides, trying to classify by syntax doesn't help you much - in vaguely C-like category you have as wildly different languages as: C, C++, Scala, Rust, C#, D, Cyclone, ATS, Go, Javascript, Typescript, Dart, Java, Kotlin, PHP, Objective-C, Swift, Ceylon, Opa and probably some further hipster stuff. And yet that tells you nothing about them.
For example Opa is a Javascript-like skin for an ML-like webdev language to sell it to node noobs, C is a simple abstraction over assembly to make it more portable, ATS is a fucking dependently typed language so complex that only the chink who created it can write, Scala is a C++-like monstrosity trying to fuse OOP with functional, Go is C with GC and CSP and so on. And yet all those languages' surface syntax is C-like.
Hell, it doesn't even tell you useful shit like whether if is a statement or expression - for example in C, Java, C#, D, C++, Javascript it is not, but in Rust, Scala, ATS, Kotlin, Ceylon it is an expression. A lot of syntax decisions like this would be cross-cutting concerns if you draw the distinction along broad similarities (another would be pattern matching that some of those have, and some don't). So are they C-like or not?

What I mean is that syntax is less of an influence on your programming than the language semantics is, which I think means there's little sense in classifying by that. It's a familiarity factor at best and if you judge the language by how similar visually is to what you already know then sorry - you're a casul fagget.

Sure, but IMO that's still semantics - you choose pickups, jeeps, trucks, buses, sedans et caetera because they are more useful for certain tasks (ain't gonna ride Ferrari in the mountains), not for their different looks.

I just said that syntax matters lol, don't be such an auti about it.

Also wtf are you going on about Java, I didn't say anything about anonymous functions, nor was I classifying by syntax, wtf are you on about?

Perl, C, Forth, Erlang, JavaScript.

Not listed: a ton of languages that I'd learned and written programs and hacked in, but which I wouldn't ever consider using today, or where I'd now have to code with a book open on my desk, etc. I wasted so much time learning so many stupid languages that it's almost more interesting now to list languages that I managed to avoid for some reason.

Some of those: RPG, C++, Go, x86 assember, VB, C# et al., SML, Haskell (beyond writing a few servers in it), O'Caml, Dylan, Prolog, D, Rust or nim or any of these newer languages.

Languages I know to perfection (all builtin aspects of them):

Pretty sure I know more about programming languages than at least half of the people that posted in this thread listing 10 languages.

I'm learning rust just for the sake of infiltrating SJW projects and laying secret vulns.

a man says that he loves to read.

he can't remember anything about the last book he read.

he says he reads about three books a year.

he's always talking about video games, movies -- never books.

he can't recommend a good book.

when you mention a famous author, he says "I loved those movies!"

was he lying when he said he loved to read?

t. an expert C++ programmer (don't ask me about OO though)

javascript
c
objc
lua
lisp
prolog
haskell
coq
scheme

I just assumed you were that user who said
where in fact it's not really a useful classification by any stretch of imagination. Sure, syntax matters and better syntax is nice, it just doesn't make sense to classify languages that way.
And Java was there just to illustrate that adding sugar doesn't really change what the language is.

I still don't get why they changed the name from Nimrod to some almost-Krautspeak for take. It was pretty cool that way.

It seems we have a winrar here.

OOP is literally the only good thing about sepples

html
python YAY 4 me ;);)

chicken

> Logo (softronix.com/logo.html)

kek <
kek
kek

>microscopic amount of C basically anything I could move more-or-less 1-to-1 over from Lua
So far that's it. I haven't really had a need for any other languages because I mainly just use C# for like advanced batch type of applications.

Yes, I use Windows. I know, I know. I've been meaning to move over but my backups keep failing or just taking forever so it keeps getting pushed off. Been meaning to try my hand at C a little more once I move over to Linux more completely.

Html
pHP
Javascript

I'm learning!

I wasn't good at any of them and then I gave up.

I sucked at all of them and gave up on trying to learn code.

That being said, I'm also ADD as fuck and kinda lazy.

I should force myself to learn C#, but I just really don't find programming interesting.

And no offense guys, but literally every programmer I know is a complete sperg.

None taken.
You kind of have to be to get anything done, or even want to do it for more than five minutes.

Bash
;-;

I know, and I actually respect you guys immensely in spite of the sperg comment.

The real frustrating thing for me is I'm a game dev on an indie team, we've already shipped something before.

But my lack of programming/modeling ability has me relegated to the more business side of things.

So while I'm a major contributor to the design aspect of things, my real job in development is creative writing, PR, and marketing.

Which is okay, but it just feels like I'm not pulling me weight, I wish I had a passion for code so I could get in there and really deal with the nitty gritty shit.

Especially as I'd like to eventually work for a larger studio.

I should really discuss this dilemma with my industry contacts, I hate the notion of being "the idea guy" it sounds like bullshit, everyone has ideas, ideas aren't valuable, execution is.

I have leadership capabilities, that's what tends to carry me, but the studios I'd be applying to would undoubtedly already have leaders, hence why they're successful.

Sorry, rambling I know, but this has been on my mind a lot lately.

samefag?

also who's dat qt

Today I use C/C++/python and occasionally js.

This is how it ends

Yeah sorry, kikewheels servers, thought the original post didn't go through so I elaborated and posted again.

So why not just git gud at modeling?
It's not quite as grueling as the codemonkey stuff, and in general programmers aren't artists.

I'll give it another shot.

I'm no expert artist, but it seems to me that what makes a good artist is knowing how much to make something "imperfect".
Like humanoid characters that are perfectly symmetrical. No person is perfectly symmetrical. Just my two cents fam.

The scariest part is looking at my old CVS tree from 20 years ago and having no recollection of a lot of the code I obviously spent a lot of time on.

I'm not really much of a conventional artist either, again my primary skillset is team management and writing.

But I'll start researching some artistic theory and try my hand at modeling again.

You could have programmers slobbering on your knob instantly with that trifecta.

Also, I forgot to add:
Digital art doesn't have to have anything to do with IRL art.
It's literally just geometry.
You don't have to have a steady hand, you just need to be able to type.

Well then time to get to work on learning that art I guess, haha.

Great, I have access to photoshop already. That's always been one of my main problems with IRL art, my hand is NOT steady, my handwriting still looks like I'm like 12, haha.

University math-programming teachers can't into efficiency because they think like mathematicians, not like computers. To them, a search function with O(log n) worst and best case efficiency is as valid as a function with O(1) best case efficiency and O(log n) worst case efficiency, simply because they can't into loop breaking and multiple returns. If the teacher teaches it wrong, I doubt all students will get it right on their own.

The meme that mathematicians are better programmers than programmers is fairly dumb. Mathematicians are good at developing crazy algorithms and functions, but I definitely wouldn't want one anywhere near the actual implementation.

Nigger I will fight you. It might be hard to grasp, but it is a brilliant language that has somehow managed to get around JVM limitations not even Java has had the balls to fix.

I will give you one thing: developing with it is a pain in the ass, if only because despite the vanilla Java world isn't that bad in this regard, the community has managed to make development overtly complicated with shit like Gradle and Maven, and while Java IDE tend to handle this shit for you (except when you have to fight the IDE itself), it doesn't play as well with Scala. I wanted to kill myself while setting up IDEA (how the fuck can people say this shit is better than Eclipse when it is an unstable piece of shit where stuff only works half of the time, I have no idea) to use Maven in a Scala project.

Some are not really programming languages, but you get the point

My mom bought me a Ruby book for my 13th birthday which is in 2 weeks, so I can add that soon.

I'm just one asshole, but in my personal experience, I've tried to become involved in some indie shit from time to time, and I always have the same problems:

From a programmer's perspective, here's what I want out of a ==for free== project: Exact measurements. I want to know what scale we're in. I don't care if you want autistic realism, or heroic easy-to-see-ism, but I need to know, this heavily effects how I have to tune the physics engine. If you want me to write you a world, I need to know it's parameters, and all it's internals have to be internally consistent, if that makes sense.

C++

MIPS assembly

Java

C

HTML

PL/SQL

Python

I'm somewhat comfortable with

Mah niggaz.

Oh sorry, small misunderstanding

I think CS is also tot blame though, as they fail to establish an axiomatic framework by which to do the math. Were the CS guys to finally agree on primitives and axioms we could do math. But we know where it comes from: CS is at it'a core a mix of relatively pure math with programming and engineering.

Wasn't japanese the weeb language anyway? I don't think I've ever heard of a weeb who was into China.

i was called a weeb for knowing Chinese many times.

The thing is not exactly that Scala is hard, the thing is that it's needlessly complicated.
It's trying to unify subtyping polymorphism with parametric polymorphism which opens a can of worms including variance (pretty nicely explained in a lecture by SPJ of Haskell fame here youtube.com/watch?v=6COvD8oynmI#t=60m33; takes ~15m from the 60m mark) and other weird features like implicits.
All that makes it a bit of a kitchen sink language like C++ in that it tries to do everything and your mom P ; I am not saying it is not powerful, quite to the contrary - it is too powerful to the point you actually need to define a subset of language your team sticks to by convention so your project doesn't implode from disparate coding conventions.

So you love your Scala. Guess who made that possible : V
I'm by no means saying that mathematicians are necessarily better programmers (since yeah, they might pay not enough attention to performance), but that theoretical approach is very important for correctness and throwing that out with bathwater would be just dumb.

Love/hate relationship with Python. It's a hack sewed (sewing? putting thread to needle and fixing clothes with it) together and programs using it as build tool always fail due to slightly wrong python version or non-standard library install locations or missing pip dependencies or whatever.

But it's simple to use, and if you forget irritating indentation as simple to use as D.

Pascal---x C-----------------------------------------> C++------------------------x Java-----------x Bash---------------------------> Javascript----------> PHP----------x x86 asm--x R--------------------->

Its been an odd 17 years

This is like the story of my career. I like learning languages, but it looks like I've only made money from 4 of them.

As an oldfag that has been programming for roughly 25 years though, I've written mostly C for 15 of them. Still doing it today at $dayjob, embedded systems.

>lua barely knew it but still
>HTML does this even count?
>shitposting the only useful one

C
Perl
PHP
C++
Java
C#
Ruby
Python

But all of these other than C++ and Python are quite shite tbh m8
C shills should just GTFO, I can code pure C for a C++ compiler if I want to, I just don't want to because human time-to-program is so many exponents slower than computer time-to-run. Anyone with even a basic understanding of resource prioritization would stop whining about muh bloat when that bloat is maybe 10MB of RAM for some nice auto library to do graphing or whatever for you easily, and code for functionality and timeliness rather than their mumble mumble autism.

C++
C
procedural C++

C
Python
bash/sh/perl

HTML isn't a programming language.
Neither is CSS.

Java is planned just because i'll start with CS this fall and they use Java in the first two years. I assume hope that it won't be a big jump from Javascript and C to Java.

I'm kind of stuck with C. I keep dropping what i was planning to work on for some dumb little project with Python or Javascript since those are the languages with which i get shit done quickly. And im also learning a bit about Network security atm which further delays my C progress since i find it more interesting.

Any tips on what to try with C to make it interesting? Maybe go for something where you really get things out of writing ultra performant code?

Switch to C++11 so you can write modern applications.

Thanks, i'll take a look.

Read this akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf. As for interesting things - 3d graphics was pretty fun shit.

My current target has 8kb. Don't assume everyone programs Web or PC apps.

That's Van

bash
AutoIt
FreeBASIC
C
Assembly(GAS)
FreePascal
Javascript
Lua
Java
Emacs Lisp
Common Lisp
Haskell
Coffeescript
Dart
Python
LLVM
C++

yes, I just started learning C++ after looking at LLVM.

I can't consider that I learned PHP because my experience with it is mostly confined to copypastes of code to a functions.php in a wordpress theme.

XML and HTML are document formats and CSS is like a settings file where you have the option to make overrides.

CSS is a little more than that. It's Turing complete.

Visual Basic
C#
Lua
Java
C++
JavaScript
C
Rust
Go

but who's dat qt

late 1981:

late 1983:

late 90's

Sometime in the late 2000's

can't believe I typed this all out, I'm late for work

Hated it.

Want to do some Haskell next. See what this functional programming is all about.

sh
LaTeX
Common LISP

That's it really.

American
Spanish
French

Almost the same as me except I took the Motorola 680x0 pill and did demoscene stuff during all of the 90s.

I don't know any language

#include
int main() {
printf("Hello Holla Forums");
return 0;
}

I'm absolute shit at programming.

If you have used R for some time you probably have used a lot of functional concepts already.
You can also use Python in functional style.

Neither is purely functional as Haskell though. They are primarily imperative but with functional facilities, like JS.

> c (only understood it after 10 years + the stanford youtube on assembly and c youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8jOj7diA0&index=1&list=PL9D558D49CA734A02 )

(Kind of) in order:
Pythong
Bourne shell
Javascript
C
Brainfuck
Assembly (arm and x86)
Lua
Latex

Shit I've only barely touched upon (unordered):
GML (More like FML, amirite? ;^) )
Java
Rust
PHP
C# (Reversing .NET gaymes)
There's probably some more, but fuck this, I keep forgetting.

That's all I bothered with.

I don't know anything.

toying now with intel asm

how you do that ?? ?

code tags.

"learnt" here being that I wrote more than two non-trivial projects without excessive use of external references.

PHP
BASIC
Java
Python
Java
C#
C++
JS
ASM

You asked for programming languages, not scripting, markup, or printing, but I'll include them anyway.

html
css
javascript
vbscript
visual basic
batch
php
bash
tcl (some irc bots)
powershell
zpl (zebra printing language > stay clear from printing languages, they will make you crazy)
c++ (arduino, is that c or c++ ?)
python

I mostly write powershell now, but I'm up for spending some time learning new stuff. Either I'm getting better at python, or I dig into assembly.

You can't just say "ASM" without specifying which architecture.

I can but it doesn't mean much. I just assume everyone else assume x86

upper-right corner -> options -> show formatting toolbar.

then wrap text in code tags. you can also enter them manually without using the toolbox next time.

C
BASIC
Python
C++
sh

English
LibertyBASIC/justBASIC
batch
vbs
Blitz3d
DarkBASIC
FLASH
html/css 4
sh
Python
C++
spin (basically c++ but microcontroller specific)
JavaScript
Arduino
Currently learning C & ARM Assembler

THIS. 3D game engine coder ftw!

QBasic
C++
Delphi
C#
Java
C
Lisp
Scheme
Lua
MIPS ASM
Some x86 ASM
Prolog
Matlab
R
Python
Dylan
OCaml
Rust

C++ was my favorite although I much preferred functional programming to imperative. Then I learned rust. It was a huge mistake to be turned off by the CoC. Rust is pure genius. Best language ever. Almost literally perfect.

I'd like to see a mozilla-free rust community pop up and take over as the main rust community, though. Not having access to an active community because the CoC is literally dangerous for your life is kinda shitty.

Javascript
Java
python 3
C#
C++
C
SPARC assembly

why you guys know so many languages and still not rich af??

H-1B

are you a indian? don't worry i am not a Holla Forumsack i dont mind.

English
Flash action script (9 y/o making addicting games type things)
Java
C#
C++
C

6502 asm (NES, c64, atari 2600)

Because we aren't old enough for work permits
just me?

You must be 18 or older to browse this site.

Good one. It says that nowhere.

Because knowing lots of programming languages isn't something employers care about. My resume with a list of languages got me an entry level position - and not in programming. Interview tasks: explain who RMS is, replace "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" in a file, install a WordPress plugin.

Back when I was excited to learn new programming languages, I did so because it was fun and easy, look ma I'm writing the same shit all over again -- but this time in a Butt-Oriented manner! Not everything fun is worth doing.

BASIC
Java
Coldfusion
T-sql
Javascript
C#

Whoa after reading others posts I forgot about the crap tacular languages that I know that I omitted
from my list.

So insert Visual Basic between Java and Coldfusion. Also Delphi after C#. I suppose I learned C# before I became really proficient at C# so that should be flip flopped. I screwed my list up

proficient at C# before proficient at Javascript I mean

oh yeah even more languages I rememberd

Silverlight. I loved this but oh no MUH IE
MS Visual J++ ... this is technically a different language than Java even though its exactly the same lol