do people make new boards anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.pl/imagesets/catalog.html
xxx-chan.pw
sci-hub.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

all these pictures and no where to dump

Regata Storica (Historic Regatta

16th century-style boats, complete with gondoliers in full costume, parade the Doge, the Doge’s wife, and high-ranking Venetian officials (also all in period costumes) up the Grand Canal.

wait wut

Saracen joust of Arezzo (Giostra del Saracino, Giostra ad burattum

Up Helly Aa (/ˈʌphɛliə/ UP-hel-ee-ə) refers to any of a variety of fire festivals held in Shetland, in Scotland, annually in the middle of winter to mark the end of the yule season. The festival involves a procession of up to a thousand guizers in Lerwick and considerably lower numbers in the more rural festivals, formed into squads who march through the town or village in a variety of themed costumes.

The current Lerwick celebration grew out of the older yule tradition of tar barrelling which took place at Christmas and New Year as well as Up Helly Aa. Squads of young men would drag barrels of burning tar through town on sledges, making mischief. After the abolition of tar barrelling around 1874–1880, permission was eventually obtained for torch processions. The first yule torch procession took place in 1876. The first torch celebration on Up Helly Aa day took place in 1881. The following year the torchlit procession was significantly enhanced and institutionalised through a request by a Lerwick civic body to hold another Up Helly Aa torch procession for the visit of the Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.[1] [2] The first galley was introduced and burned in 1889.[3]

7 – The Burning Galley. Once the galley has burned and the flames die down, guizers sing the traditional song "The Norseman's Home" before going on to a night of partying begins. Any available large room is pressed into service as a hall, presided over by a hostess who issues invitations to attend, and every guizer squad visits every hall in turn to dance and drink with the guests. As there can be dozens of squads and dozens of halls, this takes most of the night and well into the following morning. The day after is the "Hop Night" where further dances and celebrations are held.

if there's a better board than Holla Forums to dump..

When I first migrated to Holla Forums, I made four boards.

One was made in conjunction with my ex, so when that relationship ended I pretty much abandoned the board as it was all about her fetish.

Another was about an obscure interest of mine. Got some great posts and replies, but there were just never very many people replying to it, and I ran out of shit to say.

The other two were about my fetishes, one had a really good following (still does, I think) but my computer broke and I was offline for like two months, and when I got back other people were in control of my boards, and even before my computer broke I was very halfassedly keeping those boards updated so I just kind of went "Why fight it?" and left things as is.

When all of the "official boards" are declining, what's the point?

you still here op?

only to share cp

You have been posting some interesting images.
I created a new board about two weeks ago.
I have been building the catalog over the last few days.
Haven't promoted it yet so no one but me there.
Have 11 threads with c.10,000 images as of today.
Stop by if you have time. Board info sticky has some
information that be of interest.

NOT A CP BOARD

8ch.pl/imagesets/catalog.html

Would that be a good place for posting architecture as well?

>>>/newboard/

Of course
I have a thread up now.
Your images have info in the file name and
if all of them do, just start a new thread
as location specific or something.

Maybe but they'll end up below all the other ones so no one knows.

We need some way to make new boards visible that isn't prone to spam/abuse.

wowe hilter was so beta

Albert_Bierstadt (1830-1902)American landscapes

/machinecult/
I recommend a 3 new threads per hour limit or your board will be spammed the moment it gets popular though

yup
small boards are impossible here because the administration denies the mechanics of human psychology
LESS boards get used and promoted when people are afraid if they take a fucking 3 week vacation their board and all their work will belong to someone else
initially it was a way to allow big boards to not die and the theory was promoted for that but it makes no sense

now when people try to make new boards they abandon them when they realize how easily their ownership can fly away

that and only by irc can you claim boards anymore because claiming is impossible
its all stupid, if you get posts your board is active ownership should not switch

sounds like sound suggestions for admin to cultivate and grow boards with new mechanics

if you ignore the comments, reddit isn't a bad place to get interesting shit

am i keeping the flame alive,
or drawing moths to their demise?

old japanese wojaks

xxx-chan.pw

I like this thread.

Is there ever a point? Who's going to visit some obscure board anyway? Why would anyone post in a board where are aren't going to get a reply for several weeks?

Problem is, everyone else thinks the same way so these boards just end up languishing in nothingness.

You need some cross-over between boards. A list of similar boards or even just random boards over to one side of the page or something. I know that sounds reddit-ish, but just because we're not reddit doesn't mean always do opposite of reddit.

Pretty much the higher on the food chain the more mercury it'll have.

This entire website is fucking trash. It was better when hotwheels ran it. Now it is full of even more CP and the moderation on various boards are banning everyone BUT the people breaking the rules.

xxx-chan.pw

Awwwwwww yeah nigga, das my shit. Post more Beczinski.

I notice small new boards all the time. They just can't get attention because our only tool for discovery besides the list is the random button.

Discovery issues
i
s
c
o
v
e
r
y

i
s
s
u
e
s

These look like /his/ material.

Have two more.

Raid, no not really

oh that
never mind
just a ruse

NICE PICS, CAN YOU MAKE A MEGA OR TORRENT OF ALL OF THEM?

muh bandwidth

now you got me down a rabbit hole of golden age and european book illustrators

John Albert Bauer (4 June 1882 – 20 November 1918) was a Swedish painter and illustrator. His work is concerned with landscape and mythology, but he also composed portraits. He is best known for his illustrations of early editions of Bland tomtar och troll (Among Gnomes and Trolls), an anthology of Swedish folklore and fairy tales.

Bauer was born and raised in Jönköping. At 16 he moved to Stockholm to study at the Royal Swedish Academy of Arts. While there he received his first commissions to illustrate stories in books and magazines, and met the artist Ester Ellqvist, whom he married in 1906. He traveled throughout Lappland, Germany and Italy early in his career, and these cultures deeply informed his work. He painted and illustrated in a romantic nationalistic style, in part influenced by the Italian Renaissance and Sami cultures. Most of his works are watercolors or prints in monochrome or muted colours; he also produced oil paintings and frescos. His illustrations and paintings broadened the understanding and appreciation of Swedish folklore, fairy tales and landscape.

When Bauer was 36, he, Ester and their son, Bengt, drowned in a shipwreck on Lake Vättern.

Anton Pieck-poster here, please continue going down the rabbit hole. I love that shit.

Those are clearly either air rifles or BB guns

pc98

Hey Saibot, fuck you faggot.
"Pretty much abandoned" = Deleted fucking everything everyone posted because people didn't baww hard enough about his lost love after they'd circlejerked for e-celeb points with basically no delivery for half a year
Her fetish = Retards on 4chan Holla Forums shitposted a pic of her over and over until she came online and kept doing it for attention, and this faggot "chatted her up", then they're making her an e-celeb while she delivers nothing at all
Girlfriend = "Long-distance", and they broke up as soon as he actually went to see her kek

The board he "sort of abandoned" got taken over by other people because he deleted everything which was one of HW's very few rules about board moderation. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case with the others.

That said, a scheduler option would be nice, so you could have the system not add your board to the claims list during specific periods you'd be away. It would have to be limited pretty severely though, or faggots WILL squat boards they don't use and reserve them like URLs.

That Moonstone pic brings back memories of the trust Amiga

*trusty

Reminder to ya'll about visiting /boards/ from time to time.

>not >>>/dir/

John Seymour-The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency

rip >>>/out/

thank you lad
you are a kind and noble gentleman as well

meh people squat URLS because they can get shit out of them
even if Holla Forums ran profitably like 4chan did at its peak it wouldnt be profitable to squat "urls" of Holla Forums

what happened to it??

iunno. just inactivity

School Lunch in Japan - It's Not Just About Eating!

Kids Gone Wild: Denmark's Forest Kindergartens

INTERVIEW WITH A WOMAN
Gavin McInnes

source on 3?

HALF LIFE 3?!??

Even i they do no one uses them, that's why all the pedo shit was on Holla Forums to begin with.

U
WOT

Nice

Dang these were neat. I went to a small catholic school growing up so I always had freshly made meals for lunch. Then I went to a public high school and I ended up just skipping my lunch period because the food sucked so much.

filename.jpg

Bushcraft Foraging: Wild Edibles of Spring
MCQBushcraft

sci-hub.io/

A researcher in Russia has made more than 48 million journal articles - almost every single peer-reviewed paper every published - freely available online. And she's now refusing to shut the site down, despite a court injunction and a lawsuit from Elsevier, one of the world's biggest publishers.

For those of you who aren't already using it, the site in question is Sci-Hub, and it's sort of like a Pirate Bay of the science world. It was established in 2011 by neuroscientist Alexandra Elbakyan, who was frustrated that she couldn't afford to access the articles needed for her research, and it's since gone viral, with hundreds of thousands of papers being downloaded daily. But at the end of last year, the site was ordered to be taken down by a New York district court - a ruling that Elbakyan has decided to fight, triggering a debate over who really owns science.

"Payment of $32 is just insane when you need to skim or read tens or hundreds of these papers to do research. I obtained these papers by pirating them," Elbakyan told Torrent Freak last year. "Everyone should have access to knowledge regardless of their income or affiliation. And that’s absolutely legal."

journal subscriptions have become so expensive that leading universities such as Harvard and Cornell have admitted they can no longer afford them. Researchers have also taken a stand - with 15,000 scientists vowing to boycott publisher Elsevier in part for its excessive paywall fees.

"They feel pressured to do this," Elbakyan wrote in an open letter to the New York judge last year. "If a researcher wants to be recognised, make a career - he or she needs to have publications in such journals."

The site works in two stages. First of all when you search for a paper, Sci-Hub tries to immediately download it from fellow pirate database LibGen. If that doesn't work, Sci-Hub is able to bypass journal paywalls thanks to a range of access keys that have been donated by anonymous academics (thank you, science spies).

This means that Sci-Hub can instantly access any paper published by the big guys, including JSTOR, Springer, Sage, and Elsevier, and deliver it to you for free within seconds. The site then automatically sends a copy of that paper to LibGen, to help share the love.

Last year, a New York court delivered an injunction against Sci-Hub, making its domain unavailable (something Elbakyan dodged by switching to a new location), and the site is also being sued by Elsevier for "irreparable harm" - a case that experts are predicting will win Elsevier around $750 to $150,000 for each pirated article. Even at the lowest estimations, that would quickly add up to millions in damages.

But Elbakyan is not only standing her ground, she's come out swinging, claiming that it's Elsevier that have the illegal business model.

"I think Elsevier’s business model is itself illegal," she told Torrent Freak, referring to article 27 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, which states that "everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits".

She also explains that the academic publishing situation is different to the music or film industry, where pirating is ripping off creators. "All papers on their website are written by researchers, and researchers do not receive money from what Elsevier collects. That is very different from the music or movie industry, where creators receive money from each copy sold," she said.

Elbakyan hopes that the lawsuit will set a precedent, and make it very clear to the scientific world either way who owns their ideas.

"If Elsevier manages to shut down our projects or force them into the darknet, that will demonstrate an important idea: that the public does not have the right to knowledge," she said. "We have to win over Elsevier and other publishers and show that what these commercial companies are doing is fundamentally wrong."

To be fair, Elbakyan is somewhat protected by the fact that she's in Russia and doesn't have any US assets, so even if Elsevier wins their lawsuit, it's going to be pretty hard for them to get the money.

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) — Senate scene

"Ain't No Rest for the Triggered" - Social Justice: The Musical

thx

prepare for ouch

This. The first system with the top 25 boards automatically at the top was garbage. Then it became custom which was still a little better, but the front page was still top boards.

A top boards list in any form is cancer. The front list should be 25 random boards changed every month. We have a random button at least, but this way, you get to see what the boards are before clicking there, and it will promote more usage.

Edmund Dulac (1882-1953) french born british illustrator

but that's scary user

The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, 2012

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the publication of 'The Hobbit', this is a sumptuous full colour art book containing the complete collection of more than 100 Hobbit sketches, drawings, paintings and maps by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I wasn't speculating. Boards got squatted like mad here last year.

Adrian Ludwig Richter (September 28, 1803 – June 19, 1884), a German painter and etcher, was born at Dresden, the son of the engraver Karl August Richter, from whom he received his training; but he was strongly influenced by Erhard and Chodowiecki.

He was the most popular, and in many ways the most typical German illustrator of the middle of the 19th century. His work is as typically German and homely as are the fairy-tales of Grimm. Richter visited Italy from 1823–1826, and his Thunderstorm in the Sabine Mountains at the Staedel Museum in Frankfurt is one of the rare Italian subjects from his brush. In 1828 he worked as designer for the Meissen factory, and in 1841 he became professor and head of the landscape atelier at the Dresden Academy, (now Hochschule für Bildende Künste Dresden). The Dresden Gallery owns one of his best and most characteristic paintings: Bridal Procession in a Spring Landscape. An eye disease put a stop to the practice of his art in 1874;[1] he was pensioned in 1877, and died at Loschwitz, near Dresden.

Newell Convers Wyeth (October 22, 1882 – October 19, 1945), known as N. C. Wyeth, was an American artist and illustrator. He was the pupil of artist Howard Pyle and became one of America's greatest illustrators.[1] During his lifetime, Wyeth created over 3,000 paintings and illustrated 112 books,[2] 25 of them for Scribner's, the Scribner Classics, which is the work for which he is best known.[1] The first of these, Treasure Island, was one of his masterpieces and the proceeds paid for his studio. Wyeth was a realist painter just as the camera and photography began to compete with his craft.[3] Sometimes seen as melodramatic, his illustrations were designed to be understood quickly.[4] Wyeth, who was both a painter and an illustrator, understood the difference, and said in 1908, "Painting and illustration cannot be mixed—one cannot merge from one into the other."[3]