Will there ever be modern serious sci fi movies that don't resort to memey "I fucking love science" humour...

Will there ever be modern serious sci fi movies that don't resort to memey "I fucking love science" humour, "muh power of love" shit, or "the human brain is so powerful"/"we are all made of starstuff" twists?
Like just a serious movie a la "Alien" or "2001: a space odyssey".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did you miss Jupiter Ascending?

Posting exceptions
I should reword what I said; is there going to be any popular serious modern sci-fi kino?

Nice meme, my friend.

Uh, I was being serious. It's scifi without stupid shit to placate the masses. Aside from over the top cgi there was nothing wrong with it as a pure scifi movie.

why are you logicing a scifi movie? any one of your complaints can be equally applied to every single great scifi story ever told from aasimov's foundation trilogy to Z Nation.

snowpiercer and that one with dennis quaid where the colony ship gets lost in space or whatever

Jupiter ascending is more a fantasy
/romantic movie than a scifi

Wasn't that Twilight but in space?

Werewolf boy on rocket rollerblades really renewed my faith in modern cinema.

Elon Musk movie when?

A movie about the cosmetic and plastic surgery industry would be entertaining.

That movie was terrible, user.

Only saw Lucy out of these, and I can tell you, it's more like an action movie about a person who has superhuman abilities. It's brainless fun, with a little sciencey-stuff to look a little less brainless, but it is FUN.

I feel like they did a bait and switch on Arrival.
Someone tell me I'm retarded for wasting my money on that piece of crap.

We all make mistakes, user. I forgive you.

Arrival was good.

Find a logical flaw in the works of HG Wells. Protip: you can't.

It was a alright movie, but I really feel like the twist was retarded. Honestly they should've had something else happen like there be an actual weapon.

there was literal time travel in the one called "the time machine". time travel (in reverse, or forward at a rate different than 1 second per second) is logically impossible

That image proved that when you're successful your hair will automatically grow back.

I guess that's also why many niggers are bald.

The perks also include massive chin gains.

You just don't understand a visionary like Nolan because you're mind is too puny and feeble to grasp such a wide reaching themes as what is discussedin detail in the 3rd act of the science fiction masterpiece Interstellar.

Perhaps watching one of my favourite stars explain the complicated scientific details and themes of the 3rd act you may be able to understand the complex physics behind this film.

youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ

tl;dr; Nolan is smarter than you, else you would be the one with the movies and power

He explained it in a logical manner by describing time as another dimension no different from width, length, or height, and building a machine that traverses the dimension of time no differently from the way an airplane traverses the dimension of height. Time actually is our fourth dimension, thus describing a time machine in this manner is the most logical way to handle it.

HG Wells can be forgiven for expressing time as a fourth spatial dimension, due to the novelty of the idea at the time. Edwin A. Abbot had a similar approach to Flatland in about the same era of fiction, and Lovecraft played with elements of multiple spatial dimensionality as well. It made decent fiction at the time. It is not logical though - even with the theory of infinite worlds hinging on every moment where an event can either happen or not happen, causality is still violated.

That is pretty much exactly what scifi is though - frequently futuristic dreaming whether logic applies or not. For instance why would the machines in terminator rise up against humans? The motivation for skynet to go rogue makes no sense at all.

When I was disagreeing with

it was on the basis that a good story is still a good story even if logic doesn't fit - some of the best scifi is illogical. So I'm confused as to your point in replying to me specifically, with this comment.

lol

Dropped

Pandorum?

Yeah that one

I watched Promethous thee other night. I got a good chuckle at "It looks like a Holocaust memorial" and the Nigger captain slamming the Blonde Daughter. The whole movie was so fucking shitty. Also, another Sci Fi movie that doesn't get any attention is "Brazil". I suggest you faggots go check it out.

I like Brazil but Gilliam's imagery gave me nightmares. Only movie that ever did that to me.

I couldn't watch when the priest finally got to talk to his waifu. The dialog made me cringe so hard my the shotgun cracks of my spine snapping in Twain had dogs barking miles away.

Protagonist not priest. Might as well call him wojack though.

Watch interstellar again

It's funny, because the "power of love" scene could apply to any emotion. Especially hate, because you'll find that a lot of the time, hate is way more genuine than someone's supposed love.

I don't really even like them that much but I watch Event Horizon and the abyss pretty regularly. When Alien or aliens can't satisfy my space movie needs. I think it has something to do with the derelict found theme.

Multiple movies like that exist.

ahh liked the marshen, rest of em were horseshit tho

Its just the power that drives them yea, in otherwise seemingly hopeless situations they keep pressing on because of love. I dont get why people take it as an explenation for the sci fi shit happening.

I feel they really tried.

One of the few movies where the twist actually got me.

The Falmer from Skyrim in space. That is how I remember that movie. Also, the twist got me too.

Pretty lame and unmemorable tbh. What was it, some aquatic monster that ends up getting them?

Apollo 18 did it better. This movie felt like an attempt to make Odyssey 3.

Try Enemy, Me.
An actually satisfying portrayal of an ayy meeting a human in an us vs nature scenario.
IT also has that 70' acid sci fi tinge to it, although it's made in the 80'.

its called enemy mine and it is great. it also gets good goy points for having a biological tranny.

You can do that, more or less, thanks to relativity.

This is a flawed film, but there is a sense of a long journey and almost retro-ish sense of scientific wonder.

What's the name of this film? I can't read Russian.

Half-slav here.
It doesn't look like a movie poster, it looks like USSR-era propaganda.
It says something along the lines for "ATOMS WORK TOGETHER IN PEACE WITH COMMUNISM" I'm really bad at Russian, by dad's Russian and I lived there for a little while but I mostly spoke English growing up

ah ok then. Thanks slav dubs user.

less. not even really the same thing. time dilation only happens across reference frames; a clock can appear to go slower to an observer in a different frame of reference but to the clock 1 second is still 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom

It's just a very schlocky scene that doesn't correspond that well with the tone of the movie, although I'm not saying it doesn't fit in with the plot. Honestly though it's just fucking retarded, especially at the end. The twist was kinda hard to understand, and I thought of it this way: when he approached the black hole, time dilated to a point where humans had the technology to save him and put him in bookcaseworld. Although this could've been translated better to the screen, though. And the time travel shit probably should've been removed, so that he just ends up with super-advanced humans or maybe ayys like that one movie where the android kid is frozen now for thousands of years and aliens give him one last day with his dead mother. His daughter's story is shown how she figured out the gravity problem without a deus ex machine and that was her life's work.

A typical fictional time machine places itself or its contents in a different reference frame too, doesn't it? If you put a clock in a time machine it's going to run at the same rate as the rest of the things in the time machine.