Why is this movie so good? I've watched it more than any other movie over the years but it never seems to get old...

Why is this movie so good? I've watched it more than any other movie over the years but it never seems to get old, it's always just as good as it was before.

Every other movie kind of stagnates as you watch it, and it eventually becomes kinda "whatever", you'll still watch it and it's alright, but you'll probably have to wait a very long time before you want to watch it again. But there's something about Ratatouille that keeps it good no matter how many times I watch it.

Is it because it uses nearly 0 obvious memes or pop culture jokes or low intelligence le funny face-tier humor, and relies almost entirely on it's own storytelling to be good? Or am I alone on this?

meh, one of the weakest pixar movies

this

It's great for a number of reasons OP.

When it comes to premises Pixar have always gone with safe bets. Toys,Cars, Superheroes, Robots, these are things children have a natural interest for.

Ratatouille is an exception. The closest thing it is to being a safe bet is having talking animals, but instead of the focus ever being on them, it's on the human characters in the kitchen.

So basically it's a film about cooking, which was not a safe bet at all, it's a film that tries to get children interested in a topic instead of relying on children already being interested to begin with. Not only that but it's pretty damn fucking unique. Considering that pretty much every topic Pixar covered has been or is going to be covered in some other animated film, and yet I don't know of any other animated feature film which has cooking as the main topic.

It also has some great messages, especially considering what it says about cooking can be applied to a whole bunch of creative fields. Anyone who has creative ambitions will sympathize with Remy. Though while I feel that Pixar peaked with Ratatouille and Wall-E, I also felt that Wall-E had an awful message (considering who it is coming from) by suggesting that humanity would devolve into a vegetative lifestyle with zero creative impulses if all the basic needs were met. Ratatouille serves as a great counter-point to that portrayal.

And then there's pic fucking related. One of the other messages of this film is that there isn't anything wrong with having standards, and the final twist of having Anton Ego turn out to actually be a nice guy who had grown cynical due to the lack of chefs capable of meeting his standards is a message of people on this site in particular should be able to appreciate.

You're both faggots.

Why are those so few Holla Forums rat protagonists yet tons of mice?

Rats are awesome and deserve more love.

And everyone ignores the shittiest movies they made, because of rats.

Well lets go a little deeper

Rats are always associated to death,plaque and always downright disgusting which means it is easy for you to turn them into easy bad guys.

I remember this movie being pretty good. Rats were pretty important characters in it.

Anton Ego it's the best Pixar character, period. I hate how most people think that being hard while criticizing something means you don't love it. No nigger, I go hard on comics/movies/books because I love them.

He was a good character, even if he was introduced pretty late in the movie

samefag

shit movie is shit, grow a taste

Nigger, you have really shitty fucking taste

The reason I say this is because you seem to have ignored the first movie Brad Bird did for PIXAR, The Incredibles, the best PIXAR film and one of the greatest CG movies ever made

I think you missed the mark twice, my critical cousin.

Spend ten minutes in a Wal-Mart or a Golden Corral anywhere and you'll realize Wall·e is a painfully accurate portrayal of what life is like under rampant consumerism. The humans aboard the Axiom were not stupid, just unchallenged and soft since automated systems provided everything from food to entertainment to them at a moment's desire. All the "ambitious" humans probably tried to tough it out on Earth and died after a while.

The message of the film (which Anton Ego actually spells out) is that the average piece of junk is more valuable than the criticism designating it so. This means that for all the bitching and moaning people do, at least someone created something that didn't exist before and they learned in the process. It's less risky to worry about the execution instead of just going ahead and trying in the act of creation.

Anton Ego had been so wrapped up in the fun practice of writing as a food critic that he was shaken to his core when a rat turned out to be a great chef. He realized that although not everyone is talented in everything, it's unfair to dismiss any particular person or institution because they could be skilled in something one wouldn't imagine.

I think your time would be better spent creating instead of criticizing. It's not that your criticism is unwarranted, but for all you've learned from others mistakes it seems silly you're publicizing them instead of making something superior to draw fame away from them.

I've seen brilliant directors/critics who couldn't actually do their craft for shit.

A keen eye (and/or pallet in this case) is a completely separate thing from having the talent itself.

I should have prefaced: I'm an actor at a pretty good theater university and I mingle with all types in the program. So it's common to see people who specialize in a certain discipline dabble in related ones. A good friend of mine is a director and quite the critic if you give him the reason to be, but honestly he's really hit and miss as an actor. He's a born straight man who wants to play the funny guy.

The Incredibles is overrated, but I agree that it's the best Pixar movie.
Top three for me would be Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Finding Nemo.

Thanks for replying, I never met someone like that but if he actually helps you with his commentary then all the power to him.

I honestly do not understand the love for this flick. It's one of Pixar's weakest movies. The characters are unlikeable and I quickly found myself rooting for the villains.

Ratashit wouldn't be even in top 10 pleb

Pixar made the right move by firing the original director?

Here is my reply for you.

wat

Brad Bird was the writer and director for both The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

poison the rats pest removal now

The thing about then spreading/not spreading plague is biased in both presentations.

It's true that fleas were the actual carriers and transmitters for the disease, but rats had fleas because wild rats are filthy creatures that crawl through dark, damp shitholes on a daily basis and eat any half molding scrap they find. They naturally Wade through flea breeding grounds on their way to human domiciles in order to steal the scraps we dropped, and the fleas spread to humans as a result. Any rat you say back then would have fleas, some of those fleas would harbor plague, and people blamed rats because rats were the car that the plague carriers rode in on.

Tru dat.

Fun fact, your average domesticated rat has less parasites and diseases than your average domesticated dog.

That would be because the average dog gets to run around outside and eat whatever's out there. Most people don't let their rats do the same.

and the average undomesticated rat has far, far, far more

And the average stray mutt is also a filthy horrible thing, you're not really proving a point here.

Among the masses sure, but the films portrayal seems to suggest that absolutely no one would have had creative desires. I find that incredibly hard to believe.

The creatively ambitious would have wanted to go on the Axiom, they would have seen having their basic needs being taken care of as a chance to focus on their own creative endeavours. In any case the film pretty much outright states that the earth had become unliveable at that point so staying behind wouldn't have exactly been an option.

Yes that's the message which is spelled out for you. That doesn't conflict with the message that can be seen if you actually pay attention though.

Ego would never have had come to this epiphany had Remy not been an excellent chef, in fact he was rendered figuratively speechless by the food before he even found out that Remy was a rat. His transformation happened because he finally met someone who met his standards, regardless who they were.

This message can also seen from Remy himself. In particularly when he talks about how he doesn't like walking with the same limbs that he eats with. He could have settled for a life as a rat, but he was shown to be constantly bothered by his family's lack of standards. His father was essentially an embodiment of the sort of disdain people having standards would be faced with. Pic related is a great quote for summing up the film considering how much better the rats had things at the end.

The closest thing the film had to a villain was the guy who was trying to sell his former partners image. And he wanted to use Remy to cook frozen food production line, putting whatever health concerns you had at a worldwide scale.

Honestly the whole "is this really hygienic?" thing is a bit of willing suspension of disbelief on the film's part. Someone getting hung up on that probably ought to ask themselves why they are watching a film about a rat becoming a chef in the first place.

Might as well fanwank why they all speak English in mostly French but some American accents

What about the subtext about contract disputes and executive meddling, fam?

Generic boring shit. Weaker pixar film

Wasn't this going to be Pixar's first non-Disney movie before the buyout happened?

his final speech at the end of the movie made me think of a lot of reviews on YouTube. Especially rageaholic who usually spends half his time making up colorful insults rather than articulating what he thinks is bad about something.

Stupid man-thing thinking he's so clever calling Skaven bad on magic box. Skaven is much more cleverer than man-things in all things.

Disney wasn't a giant fat fuck though.

His name and image was/is exploited beyond the grave