Sci-Fi Films

Soop Holla Forums, yall have any recommendations for Sci-fi movies that take place in the future? pic related is a fav, also films like Oblivion, Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn, hell even Elysium (even though blomkamp fucked it up)
I'm just in love with portrayal's of the future.

They don't have to be new, i remember i ignored Blade Runner for years because of the year it was made, i figured all good sci fi had to have modern cgi. Boy was i wrong, i ended up loving the movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/film/res/2669.html
youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A
youtube.com/watch?v=a03TvDeFYe4
imdb.com/title/tt0086837/
deadline.com/2016/04/tom-cruise-the-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-joe-shrapnel-anna-w-1201733530/
youtube.com/watch?v=BKGhoJ1mgQY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not really into Halo and most video game movies are shit so i expected some half ass movie with Forward Unto Dawn but it was really great.

I'm not into video games but i do think the Halo series has a fantastic story as far as sci fi goes. i'm just hoping a studio would pick up the story. They could continue from Forward Unto Dawn or just start from scratch, the Halo story has many parts they could start from.

What director would do it justice though? Also i imagine it would have a huge budget, does that scare studios away?

Fifth Element is an obvious rec.
Metropolis is cool to, but really fucking old. Black and white with no words, just orchestra and written lines.

Yeah believe it or not i just saw Fifth Element for the first time a couple of weeks ago, i really loved it!
Metropolis sounds interesting, i love seeing how they managed to portray the future back when the cgi wasn't that great.

A Boy and His Dog is a classic, should watch that.

kek definitely checking that out thanks man

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Cowboy Bebop
- Her
- Akira
- Ghost in the Shell (the original film)
- The Matrix (original pls)
- Brazil
- I'd recommend Zero Theorem because it had awesome ideas, but the ending sucked and ruined the movie
- Starship Troopers ←— totally for you
- District 9 (if you're into a heavy-handed metaphor about apartheid)
- A Clockwork Orange (the book is great)
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Interstellar
- Wall-E
- Children of Men
- Oblivion
- Total Recall
- Ender's Game

I love, love scifi, watching it, but I've read more than I've watched. I have an awesome book list, too. But I can keep going, if you'd like. This is a great starter pack, though.

This is very relevant to my interests. I will share ratings and films I have seen recently, ordered from best to worst:

Blade Runner
Alien
12 Monkeys
Minority Report
Aliens
Ex Machina
The Fifth Element
Coherence
Automata
—I do not recommend any of the films below—
Equilibrium
Gattaca
Event Horizon

Hey, I loved Gattaca.

Partially related, did you play Deus Ex? Fucking glorious game.

OP, play Deus Ex (original) and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And all of Mass Effect.

nigger no. you don't deserve my vast knowledge of good scifi films

you might as well have asked about star wars, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Op here, What do you all think of YA type films such as The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner etc. I do get annoyed by the always expected love story in these YA films, but other than that i think they really dope portray's of some sort of future world.

It could be because i'm just a huge sucker for anything thats related to the future, lol.

Eh idk, i actually really like Gattaca and Equilibrium. To each his own i guess

Twelve Monkeys and Automata are ones i've seen, i'll look into the rest thanks user

I think they're good for people who have a simplistic knowledge and expectation of science fiction and political/social/technological advancement. They look cooler than they are cool, you know? It's like bubblegum. The art direction is usually the primary focus, and often even that is mediocre.

But hey: de gustibus non est disputandum.

Enlightenment comes with time and exposure.

I guess it depends on your definition of the future, Forward Unto Dawn is set sometime around the year 2500

i'll be alright without your superior taste m9 :^)

Yeah thats a great way of explaining it I'm not necessarily watching films to dissect them for 100% accurate scientific knowledge, thats tryhard as fuck imo lol

contrib

contribb

please tell me where you got that from because in no way has the halo universe committed to a time relative to ours

Definitely watch Blade Runner first, it is the gold standard of sci-fi

It says it in the film, but a simple Google search should suffice

there are some future movies ITT
8ch.net/film/res/2669.html

I really liked Event Horizon, sort of liked Equilibium and Gattaca and thought Blade Runner was really overrated.

But most of the recommended movies are good.

Yeah i saw it a couple of days ago after many years of ignoring it, it was really great.

'Idiocracy'.

Kek that fucking movie though. I loved it but holy fuck was it really UNSETTLING at times. I wanted to read a book after lol
Trump 2016 irl

thats fucking horse shit, none of the halo games or books commit to a time period at ALL compared to ours

Uhh look it up?
Dude do you really watch movies and try to base it off of real life timelines? As in technological advancements?

I've seen those Purge movies, when i first heard about it i thought it was great. The whole concept is an amazing one, a single night where everything is legal, think of the cinematic possibilities. but NOPE they managed to fuck it up as expected, i was hoping they'd pick it up during the second one but no.

Great concept that they could have done a lot with, but they got lazy and did a shit job with it.

I haven't played it, i've actually been looking for good sci-fi games to buy, is it worth it?

Although the YA aspect the overall ideas are interesting.

The Hunger Games for example, a 24 person death match in a controlled environment, one comes out alive. 12 boys 12 girls, 2 from each district.

Fuck yes.

Wait for a sale. Or a torrent.

But it's worth it at whatever price.

I only read Halo Reach (because it was shit) but it took place in the same time period, pretty sure it was considered cannon.

Yup, the timelines are official

so you just take a number, like 2553 and immediately assume it is in the year of our lord?

please tell me this doesnt real… i … they… fucking halo canon (>>5548794 yes you spelled it wrong) is kind of important to me, it isnt in the future or the past it JUST IS

Nigga, its a movie. I don't watch Transformers and believe talking cars are real

Thats sort of the whole point of fiction part in science fiction.

I think you mean symbolism.

youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A

Flash Gordon (campy fun)
Johnny Mnemonic (the only decent cyberpunk movie)
A Scanner Darkly (near future; funny and sad)

It's one of those "less you know about it going in more you'll enjoy it" kind of movies.

its fucking with my childhood man, ok?

would you be fine if suddenly . . .

i dont even know what the fuck you guys idolize now - miley cyrus or some stupid shit

you seriously let a boondock saints reference fly RIGHT OVER your head

shut up patrick

i looked at the video late

well done

I can already tell you're one of those guys that goes against the grain on purpose, as if it singles you out from everyone else

Kek
It's just a movie mang, if I wanted realism I'd watch documentaries.

wow you got all that from a 3 line /lessthanparagraph/?

you should do renfaire psychic tent stuff. you can make decent money if you can pay the rentfaire

wow you got all that from a 3 line /lessthanparagraph/?

you should do renfaire psychic tent stuff. you can make decent money if you can pay the rentfaire

Aw don't let my comments discourage you user, surely you're a special snowflake.

Has anyone seen Code 46? It's a love story kinda but I love it, too lazy type up a summary so here's one from Google

In a dystopian future, insurance fraud investigator William Gold (Tim Robbins) arrives in Shanghai to investigate a forgery ring for "papelles," futuristic passports that record people's identities and genetics. Gold falls for Maria Gonzalez (Samantha Morton), the woman in charge of the forgeries. After a passionate affair, Gold returns home, having named a coworker as the culprit. But when one of Gonzalez's customers is found dead, Gold is sent back to Shanghai to complete the investigation.

recently watched Interstellar. much better than I expected, fucking long though. Starship Troopers like others said already

Oh fuck i completely forgot about that movie it was on my list too, did it live up to the hype?

Aeon Flux
The Island
Snowpiercer

Serenity (preferably after you watch the firefly series)
Cowboy Bebop
Treasure Planet
Space Dandy

Inception
Paprika
Robot and Frank
Primer
Her
Corridor digital also made a good scifi movie called Sync (vid related is whole movie)

Timer
In Time
Guardians of the Galaxy
Edge of Tomorrow
Deja Vu
Source Code

Dans une gallaxie près de chez vous.

Platinum Data

nigga wat

I like how you broke it down, i've actually seen a few of the films on this list so i will definitely look into the rest thanks user.

even older than blade runner

Interstellar is beautiful mate, go and see it.

what is Battle Royale

Watch chronicle and coherence.

Chronicle is about 3 teenagers who get telekinesis. They're realistic characters with (mostly) realistic problems. It starts out funny and gets really dark in the second half. Easily one of the best sci-fi movies out there. It's like a Western spiritual remake of akira.

Coherence is about a group of friends meeting for a dinner party while a comet is passing overhead and multiple versions of their reality and themselves converge it is basically a twilight zone episode-movie and a total mind fuck.

OPIATES IS A NIGGER

I just watched The Expanse for the first time and man was i blown away by the scenery, they did a great job imo! Any other shows like this? I only watch about 4 tv shows currently

IT PREDICTED THE FUTURE

I hate the film (couldn't finish it) and don't recommend it because of the plot, acting or any of that, but Avatar actually is cool in that Cameron went full sperg researching things for the spaceships. One example I remember reading about was a shuttle in one 5-second setting clip (showing the space stations hovering a planet before switching to an interior shot with the actors), and the ship is actually a theoretically legitimate design using a weird engine mounted far ahead of the ship to "pull" it and used some future technology that could potentially be discovered someday (versus "muh Forerunner" or "muh Flux capacitor"). If the technology was ever able to be manufactured it'd even adhere to the 2nd or 3rd level of that theoretical 4-level organization of a civilization's overall technological advancement and ability to travel through the universe.

Sorry if this reads like a clusterfuck but I'm tired as dick and haven't read the actual sites/articles in ages. It's neat though.

It was long - but it was very good. Not really the kind of thing you want to watch on a TV screen though. It's one of those few movies that are way better in a theater.

Is it worth the hype? I remember everyone was losing their shit over it, i only saw about 20 minutes of it and wasn't impressed. Then again it was a random 20 minutes. I'll check it out

Like the film itself? Absolutely not. Graphics and visuals were cool as fuck in terms of sheer pixels and colors, but it isn't anything to jizz over unless you're in an IMAX theatre watching it. It's essentially this generation's 2001ASO, except not as groundbreaking (given time discrepancies) and the plot doesn't hold a candle to Kubrick's. SFX are cool and very lush, and the amount of detail on the spaceships is neat- that's about it.

Ah i guess thats what the hype was about, graphics/visuals! So as far as the storyline goes i shouldn't expect something that really draws me in?

Well thats definitely nice to know i was wondering what all the hype was about, i guess i'll have to watch it and form my own opinion

Anyone have recommendations for Sci-fi movies that were made pre 2000? I have a bad habit of not paying attention to older sci-fi flicks because of cgi and shit. but i absolutely loved movies like Blade Runner, Twelve Monkeys, Gattaca etc

Yeah no don't get drunk unless you're jumping right over the sleepy buzz; plot sucks.

event horizon is decent

Lost in Space

I'd recommend the Metropolis anime. The animation is so smooth and the story interesting, it was my first introduction to the questions about the humanity of advanced AI.

nothing wrong with their premises imho but too often I find the execution lacking. I'd be fine with the romance (it's good in small doses) but its usually done very badly and love is like a 13 year old girls wish fulfilment fantasy (divergent)
I was pleasantly surprised the hunger games portrayed the eventual maturity of Katniss quite okay-ly.

I take issue with this. Part of the fun in sci-fi (for me) is having that little kernel of scientific truth and understanding the rules of the universe the sci fi is set in. That said, you could enjoy either/both sci fi which needs a little thinking (eg Dune) or which you can just turn off your brain. A matter of taste.

it didnt for me. Luckily I didnt buy into the hype and went in with zero expectations except that of watching a sci fi movie.

I also recommend the Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles series to people who liked the movie.

Virus (1999). I used to watch it over and over again since it was the only sci fi movie we had when we were poor. I liked it because of the claustrophobic atmosphere of the movie and I like horror stories that happen in isolated locations like ships.

I'm going back to halfchan. I know that's used as an insult al a "back to reddit" because we masturbate on feeling superior to those cuckchaners (wow, attaching "cuck" to a preexisting word, tell me how we're better than Holla Forums and it's "rulecuck" again?), but this place is unbearable. The two reasons why I left, gamergate and free speech, are both null anyway. Gamergate is a playground for underage redditors and free speech only brings Kennedi check em check em check em check em check em check em check em spam and unbearable repetitive obnoxiousness anyway. I want an actual place for discussion in which more than 3 people communicate and actual fun, noteworthy events to pop up once in a while. I want a place where "user" means something, where an actual diverse cast of different viewpoints and ideologies can communicate anonymously and things don't devolve into furious reddit-style circlejerking after a few posts (hence the replies to this very thread). Oh, and the high density of redditors is another reason too. Looking back, I wonder why the fuck I didn't leave immediately when copypaste started advertising on reddit. Who in their right minds would be that fucking stupid? Even luggage lad didn't engage in such degeneracy. And the fucking post errors are ridiculous. I know edge lords are going to spout "hhahaha LOL good riddance u cuckchanner!!11 And stay there xdddd!!!11!", but I'm only in pursuit of a fucking working site in which you can actually post shit. What bothers me the most is that this place had potential. It could've been so much more. We could've had thriving little active communities all the way down the board list, with useful stickies and information dumps and posts everywhere you looked. We could've been the go-to site for everybody's obscure hobbies, except less autistic than reddit turned out to be. Imagine if we had a userbase the size of reddit, but not consisting of the same autists as reddit like we do now. Creatable boards on an IB site seems like such a fun concept, yet copypaste and the cancerous elitism of the userbase blew it. You fucking fags, you made it all go to waste. Of course, that's not to say it's entirely your fault. Some blame has to be put on the godawful administration and moderation of this site, too. Copypaste and Jim straight up don't know how to run a site. They can't make a fucking functioning system without spilling all it's shit every 2 minutes. They, despite knowing making a platform dedicated to free speech would put them under attack, failed to take any measures and fell susceptible to ddos after techincal attack after moderation infiltration. And they hired josh. When the userbase was actually at it's strongest in terms of numbers, although the post quality had dipped since the exodus, they took the jump to Next and didn't complete it, losing a shitton of their users on the way. And in doing so they let Holla Forums, who seem to be actually competent in terms of sustaining a culture and memes, attack us at or weakest, and in doing so they lost even more users. Holla Forums isn't going to be a story of warriors that overcame the corrupt 4chan like all that patriotic OC from exodus-era Holla Forums played it up to be. It's going to be a story of what not to do, and either Holla Forums is going to consume the rest of the site and we become nothing more than stormfront.com's secondary base with remnants of IB culture thrown in, or our consistent streak of losing users and being insufferable pieces of shit that no one would deliberately go to a site and talk to catches up to us and the entire thing wanes off and dies. Enjoy, fags. Enjoy being ever so confident in telling me to leave because I'm a dirty halfchanner. Enjoy riding this sinking ship and not realizing you were on the wrong side until your corpse is already drenched. Enjoy continuously siding with the cripple and the jew, despite their repeated fuck ups. Enjoy being so obsessed about "OC" despite not having one drop of talent in all of the userbase. Enjoy 2 active boards, one slowly being choked to death by it's own spam, and hundreds of inactive dead ones. Enjoy filtering or saging everyone you disagree with and then calling tumblr the hugbox. Fucking enjoy all of it.

the machine

ICE pirates

Another pre-2000 Sci-Fi I can recommend is Stanley Kubrick's AI. The ending can get fucked though. For real. For laughs, get stuff like the second pic. You'll find them dirt-cheap in your favorite second-hand shop.

Got the Blade Runner LaserDisc coming in too,

I just looked up AI and it looks really promising, fucking Jude Law! kek i have a feeling i'm going to like it.

Op here, unpopular opinion incoming. Alright so i watched 2001 ASO and i can't see what everyone is losing their shit over. Every sci-fi head has recommended this movie. I mean it isn't shit but it definitely doesn't live up to the hype. Wat did i do wrong?

I may need to give it another watch, sometimes films/music doesn't click with me until a few listens/plays.

Thanks to the user(s) that recommended I play Deus Ex, I'm currently playing Human Revolution and I love it! My PC is crap so I had to turn down the quality a bit but it's still a really beautiful world, and a fun game in general!

That is honestly the most interesting looking movie I've seen in so fucking long, definitely gonna check it out. You're right they pretty much nailed it with the prediction of sexual interactions of the future (/now), plus I dig the Mad Max vibes.

Over-hype is definitely something that can kill the love of a movie but here's why it's my favourite movie of all time:

- Some of the greatest cinematography ever recorded
- Relateable characters, in a very unrelateable world
- Intense final act with Hal and all that
- but most importantly, the ending.

Now, the ending is the most mind-fucking thing in my opinion, and I've heard its explained way more clearly in the book. But basically, the monolith that shows up at the end and the beginning symbolizes humanity's need to strive forward and evolve over time. The only problem is, that we are animals through and throughout, so we can't comprehend the power of the monolith and what it means to be 'advanced'. When we first see the monolith, it is found by early humans (or gorillas soon to be humans) who approach it with anger, violence, and overall savagery. Later, when we find the monolith as humans, we approach it carefully, study it, and take it into our 'possession' when it's not ours. The humans believe that they are no longer savage because they are able to go about it peacefully, but the entire fact that humans are so self-aggrandizing, and label the discovery as a "feat of mankind's incredible power" shows how we're just as idiotic as when we were monkeys, only now we hide it. When the protagonist is finally exposed to what the monolith has been trying to tell humanity, he can't comprehend it, so the information just appears to be wild colours and acid-like imagery. But once he finally learns what the monolith has been trying to teach us, he becomes a space baby and ushers in the next and first proper step of human evolution.

That's the really condensed version of what the movie means to me, but goddamnit it's great.

I watched that the other day, holy shit it made me want to tear my eyes out.
Soo fucking boring and full of bullshit modern "art".

Like brah.
I don't need to spend 15mins watching a space ship land or 30mins watching some monkey jerk off.
It was totally made by some degenerate hippies and designed to be viewed while high.

Fucking trash.
If your definition of intense is watching 2 snails race then yeah, it's intense.
Just because it's obscure doesn't mean it's good.

Lol unless you rode the fucking short bus to school as a child, it's not very obscure. Hal is trying to fuck over the main character, and at any moment he could die. That's pretty intense to me. Oh and let's not forget that the main character is stuck INSIDE the thing that's trying to fucking kill him.

Yes obviously.
But the obscurity in the shots of prolonged nothingness, the trippy screensaver near the end, the guy in the white room doing fuck all.
It only gets remotely interesting when you read other peoples interpretations, but that's their work not kubrick's.
It's parallel with showing someone a blank canvas with a dot in the centre, then letting everyone else caption it with a thesis on the meaning of life.
That's devoid of any criticisms of it's own and just laziness.
Yes it does offer something, but what it does, it offers few and far between.

TRUMP 2016

kek, that fucking movie dude.

Melanie Griffith

HNNGGGGGGG

he - he didn't write 2001, it was a book before it was a movie.

Regardless, if a movie can make people think about it so much as people have about 2001, it's brilliant. It's full movie from start to finish that you can enjoy with the blatant story beginning and end it provides, or you can think about it for longer and take something out of it.
If that's not an incredible work of art, I don't know what is.

You sound like some snot-nosed millennial

The interpretations that most arrive at, after connecting the dots, are basically the same as those given in the book, which I believe was released slightly after, but written during, the film's development.
There is plenty in there, if you are paying attention. Especially with regards to ideas relating to life, evolution, the unknown and the alien, machine intelligence, and how these things interact and what role (mechanical, not 'meaningful') they might play in the universe.
It expects an a well read audience that is interested in these questions, and enjoys seeing them explored visually.
If you are not an avid reader of science fictions, particularly science fiction dealing with big ideas, which most of Arthur C. Clarke's work falls under, then much of the content would be invisible to you.
If you have ADD or are especially young, this can also make viewing it difficult, due to the slower pace (slower than average for a film).

It must be a bitch having ADHD…

i agree with you but i could have done without the acid trip at the end, even so that movie was incredible and it redefined the whole genre. people changed the way they made sci-fi after that movie came out. it set the standard.

people ignore movies that were made before they were born. usually because they saw a few and they were crap and they just assume that only new stuff is good because that's what they mostly watch.

but the truth is- there's a whole pile of shit in every decade. most movies suck. so a random sampling of older movies will often turn up a lot of awful shit. especially old sci fi.

blade runner was REALLY GOOD sci-fi but it's old as fuck.

you really need someone from the era to tell you which ones are good.

ive found some of the best creepy films came from the 70s.

as in past tense.
i just can't stand shitty cgi

Basically. ^^^^^

i'm glad i got passed that habit lol now i have to watch the movies i looked over all these years.

So is recorded static a good "movie"?
Clearly you don't.

U fakin w0t m8?
It was whack as shit.
Machine intelligence was the best part and it was hardly expanded upon.

Zero percent of it was compelling or challenging.
They make you sit on it for soo fucking long it was dead before it was conceived.

One, one one one, I am saying the word one, one is the word I am saying.
Two; two is the next word I am saying, two two two, I am saying the word two after the word one.
I am going to combine them, not divide them, not multiply them but add them together.
A final number is the result; the quantity of which, yes the numeric value; the one proceeding my experience of addition is… wait for it…
… Have a seizure first…
…. Wake up from said seizure…
… Grab a coffee…
…. Drink the coffee…

.. THREE.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT'S SOO DEEP

Maybe it has some merit as a landmark in discussion.
But who gives a shit?
I certainly didn't while watching it.

Autism maybe, but no.

no takers on Jupiter ascending. it was ok.

bitch had a sweet-ass invisible hover bike. i want that!

Wow.
You sound pretty butthurt.
You gonna be OK?

is bittorrent and kickasstorrents not a thing anymore? none of my torrents are connecting?

oh.. nevermind i'm just retard

Interstellar and Ex-Machina. Interstellar is such a good movie, visually beautiful, and probably my favorite.

fuck i keep getting recommendations for Interstellar, i guess i;m watching it this weekend. Ex-Machina was beautiful, i wished they showed more of the scenery but the movie was about the girl so its understandable.

I like some YA novel movies, like the Hunger Games, Divergent, the Maze Runner, and Harry Potter however there are some YA movies I can't even sit through. I recently saw the 5th Wave and it was terrible, I had to turn it off after 30 min because the plot was just made up of plot devices and retarded characters. This is the problem with most YA novel movies, they assume you read the book because the book explains everything better. However these directors trying to interpret the book to the big screen are doing a bad job at at.

Intersellar is definitely one of my fav sci-fi movies of all time

A word of warning the movie is a bit slow

Aw shit really? Fuck, i was actually going to go see it in theaters this Friday, thanks for the heads up

Yeah i mean like i said besides the typical love story in YA novel movies, the overall movies have cool concepts. The Hunger Gamers had a cool concept and I actually just gone done watching The Maze Runner which i really liked, now i'm onto the second one

I absolutely loved the Mave Runner, I think it's a great concept and I love the direction and all of it, same with the Hunger Games, I believe that it was a great representation of the books. But The 5th Wave I just couldn't get into, sooooo many plot devices, like there is one scene (forgive me if I'm spoiling it) where all the adults are taken seprately and herded into a cabin by the military to explain what is happening. They are asked not to leave and some guy pulls out a gun and threatens to shoot someone if they don't let him go. So the scene jumpcuts into outside the cabin and you hear a bang coming from the pistol the guy had and you assume he shot someone, however instead of killing just the guy with the gun, they kill all the adults for literally no reason. Sorry if I explained this movie pretty bad. But this scene was just a plot device for the main character to avenge her father's death. Every plot device seems very forced and unnecessary.

Also I found this scene on Youtube youtube.com/watch?v=a03TvDeFYe4
What's happening is that the children are being taken away from the adults so they get on buses but they little brother waits til he's all the way seated in the back of the bus to tell Chloe that he forgot his bear. This scene right here pissed me off soo bad

Check out Pandorum, another good sci-fi horror. Plus the tech scenes aren't too bad.

???? That thing sucked ass

Pitch Black, on the other hand, is a little sci-fi gem.

Riddick wasn't terrible either, although it's basically the same plot as pitch black only with less realistic characters and acting.

one of the most boring and disappointing movies I've seen in years. Read the book, it's much better.

nigga what the fuck have you been smoking. Also, Event Horizon is pretty good.

An interesting interpretation.

What's really happening is that Bowman is being sent through space and time. The monolith changes him into a star-child, and encase his mind in a fake room that is designed to be recognisable and comfortable, created through intercepted memories and transmissions from Earth.

Star-childs are cool, in the second book, we see Bowman manipulate events on Earth, and in the third, we see him fuse with the faulty Hal9000, creating a superior being entirely.

The books are great!

Moon.

Dark City

Primer (trust me.).

fuckin' Checked

Time to watch something about the future on a format from the past.

Have you seen "Back to the Future" yet?

Oh man… by 2015 we're all going to have hoverboards and flying cars!

As if stuff like that doesn't get millions of hits on youtube.

The fuck is that

Spotted the underb&

Has anyone seen the sequel imdb.com/title/tt0086837/ ?

kek nigga im 20, i sure as hell didn't have that growing up

tfw

My girlfriend didn't like Blade Runner and refused to watch Total Recall.
Should I kill her or just me?

Edge of Tomorrow sequel has been confirmed, I'm pretty pumped. Anyone else a fan? I loved the first one.
deadline.com/2016/04/tom-cruise-the-edge-of-tomorrow-sequel-joe-shrapnel-anna-w-1201733530/

Nigga

oh yeah, interstellar was/is one of the best sci-fi flicks of all time. it has slow spots to interlace a very nicely written movie. one glaring draw-back is a total crack-head theory about black-holes, put that completely out of your mind…( thats why they call it a sci-fiction) it is A+++++ 1-5 stars, it is a 6.

C. Nolan truly out-did himself.

if it is still on a BIG-SCREEN where you live, it is a must-see. have some type of mild intoxicant with you to consume, and enjoy a blockbuster.

Maze Runner was so predictable I couldn't enjoy it. Seriously, down to finding the bones exactly where I predicted.

Divergent, haven't seen. I may have read the book though? Hunger Games first two books I read and they were surprisingly good, the movies have high production values overall and are pretty good, shame Jennifer Lawrence is such a tryhard though, she's a good actor just really oversells the "haha I'm so dumb and quirky, now that I've said that let me tell you what you should and shouldn't think".

She found out about it while she was writing the series from a friend, who told her not to read it lest she be influenced by it.

Watch the first three Cube films just for campy B-movie fun and nostalgic "le nerds xDD" 80s and 90s cringe.

Then watch the fourth one, Hypercube, to see the very definition of a shark jump. It is the most entertaining shark jump I've ever seen.

To be honest most of these movies are, I don't necessarily watch YA films for elite directing, they just have cool plots

If that's the case you won't like the Divergent series either, it's very predictable. I enjoy it though

Sounds good user, thx for the update.

I don't mind if it's predictable, but Maze Runner was seriously everything I said happened exactly that way a few minutes later lol

Then recommend, silly negro.

this

recommend some movies nigga

Saw a lot of *quality* sci-fi in this list of recommendations, but unfortunately I've already seen almost all of them, minus one or two.

I recommend:
Dark City
Repo Men

Which don't appear to be in the thread yet.

Dark City and Repo Men have been recommended in the thread, thanks though

I know a guy who says that Jupiter Ascending is his favorite movie of 2015. He has kinda weird taste so I don't really trust his recommendation alone, but maybe I'll try it out.

I wasn't a fan of Interstellar. I liked some parts but overall wasn't amazed.

fukin rekt son

very bad coopypesto
fuck it mum

What ever you do, do NOT watch Jupiter Ascending. Its almost as if they got a cluster fuck of different concept artists, and every idea they could've possibly came up with got approved to be in a movie in which the main characters suck ass and you never have any clue exactly how or why things are happening. Only watch the movie if you are the type that cares mostly about visuals. It is not a good movie.

well, usually sci-fi seems to have a, ya know "dark" theme to it (jupiter ascending). the whole premise is a good Vs. evil thing. so if your into that kind of science fiction, you'll probably dig it. the story does move along at a fast pace, it is like reading about a dozen pages in each chapter of a book (& then calling it done). there is plenty of what, how, who, god-dam-it, why moments in the movie.

interstellar was a very hard/true-science movie, and those are extremely hard to make in hollywood, and keep it interesting. so usually the movie makers completely go-off the reservation to sensationalize or (LIE), about some topic in the movie.

thats how i would characterize the two differently, yes, 2 very different types of sci-fi.

cloud atlas was a very unique movie, i can't ever recall seeing a movie put together like that. it was kind of a multi-reality time continuum.

it would be like reading many different books at the same time, and each book taking place at a different point in time, yet all the books are basically linking the same story.

very different and very involved movie.

cloud atlas was a 3hour movie aswell, so…

Just looked it up and it seems pretty neat, I'm definitely watching it after this movie I'm watching

it does fall in the category of drama too. but the way the movie is assembled, it is almost as though the viewer(YOU) is a time-traveling sherlock holmes.

I think that one was made while the other sibling was transing… trannying? converting or whatever. chopped his dick off.

My point is now it's the Watchowski tranny sisters, and there was only one Matrix film.

It was awful. You have horrible taste. Microsoft cancelled the Halo movie and instead made Youtube videos about annoying cadets and their high school drama. The battle only starts in the second half of the video series and Master Chief is downgraded to a supporting character. I was begging for the teen brats to get killed off.

What the hell is Microsoft smoking? They could have made a movie franchise as big as Marvel's. But they went with the free shit on Youtube. I guess Microsoft really hates money.

Halo movie short

youtube.com/watch?v=BKGhoJ1mgQY

Yeah I caught it when they released the whole thing at once

Well I mean that was sort of necessary, there's absolutely no way they could make a film with Chief as the main character, there's nothing to relate to. That's why Lasky was the main (mostly) focus in the movie, it was a nice representation of some parts of the books. Anyways, a movie with just Chief wouldn't work, It's why we'll never see another Halo movie. A silent and faceless main character wouldn't work out at all, There would have to be some sort of group of marines or something, which would be shit.

Pretty sure it's why Peter Jackson passed on it, it would be too difficult to try and add some random relatable character while (for the most part) the Halo series is about Master Chief. Not to mention the huge budget a movie like this would need, it's too risky.

That would have been awesome. If you can't have Master Chief be the main character, then at least make it about soldiers. Halo is about soldiers fighting a losing war. Not Wesley Crusher played by Shia Labeouf Junior and his teen romance.

There was one scene with the teens watching a thirty second video of ODST, insurrectionists and Spartans fighting the Covenant. I remember watching that and getting pissed. Why the fuck do I have to watch other people watch the show that I want to watch. Forward Unto Dawn should have been about those soldiers.

Having to relate to a main character to enjoy a movie is just as cancerous as for a game. I'm not James fucking Bond, I'm not Gordon fucking Freeman, I'm just being entertained, I don't have to "self-insert". I swear, porn has ruined all of you faggots.

I'm just the messenger man, tell that to the studios that passed on Halo for that very reason, all of Hollywood would tell you the same thing. Hell even ask Holla Forums

I don't think it's about inserting yourself, it's more like a movie with Chief as the main character doesn't work because he rarely talks and is faceless. Cortana is even worse. They'd have to put in completely new characters in order for them to follow a story with Chief. Not to mention the length of the Halo series, so they would have to make up new characters just for the movie. Cause like I said As far as the story goes there aren't any characters that would fit in with Chief, unless like I said earlier that have a group of marines or something following him. But that would still be difficult because I mean it is Master Chiefs story.

Nah it would be shit, Halo is entirely (for the most part) Chiefs story not a bunch of random marines. Also considering how fucking long Halo is, these marines would have to never die. They obviously would have to keep up with Chief, and I definitely wouldn't like to see Chief saving their ass every fucking time. It'd be hard for them to keep up with a spartan. Or they would have to keep reintroducing new marines which would be stupid

Well to be fair that was before they Covenant even showed up in the Halo world, Up until then the insurrectionists were their only known threat.

Dredd did that perfectly. The writer for Dredd wrote the script for the Halo movie. Microsoft had everything going for a new blockbuster franchise, but shut everything down at the last minute.

When something that retarded happens, I always suspect SJWs. Halo probably wasn't "diverse" enough for Microsoft. If the movie ever does get made, it will star a black, lesbian Mary Sue Spartan, directed by jew jew Abrams.

Mistress Chief.

Yeah because Dredd talks, he has actual dialogue as opposed to a few words.

Nah the Halo movie was being started on before sjw's became a thing, I just think they failed to go through with it because of the character situation. Also the budget would have to be insanely huge, and video game movies usually always flop, so im sure it's just a risk they didn't want to take financially.

Forward unto dawn sucked donkey pwnis
You have terrible taste user

You are right about that though. I'm hoping Blomkamp would pick it up but I think it's simply too late now. Halo reached it's peak as far as popularity goes, with Halo 3 (some say 2) so even if a movie were to come out I don't think it would do as well as it would Back in the Halo 3 days. When they were releasing all those live action shorts, the fans were begging for a movie back then.

Nah it was a lot better than I expected I thought it would be shit but it follows the book(s) pretty nicely. I don't over analyze these movies in some try hard way, I just take it at face value, it's a lot easier to enjoy film that way.

This movie is kind of good if you like dystopian sci-fi. It's stupid as fuck at times but it's worth a watch.

I reckon Dark City is one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made.

lmao I love movies like this :'D
Thanks for sharing this user ^_^

There's this

I haven't seen it yet but its supposed to be ok

Zardoz is funny and has some interesting visuals, but don't go into it expecting much.

If you liked Cloud Atlas, then I suggest The Fountain, it's pretty good; although, it isn't totally sci-fi.

Brawndo

Kek holy fuck I never realized the guard at 1:15 has a Carls Jr tattoo behind his ear

My fucking sides

Here you go candy asses

That russian one

Kek

What are some good PC games? I really want to play Deus Ex again but I barely finished it about a week ago

Goddamn, I love this movie.

EXTRA BIG ASS FRIES

Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

my fucking sides.

isn't that the secretary of education? kek

I like scifi movies.

I've seen these and concluded that they are worth to recommend:
Alphabetic -

The 6th Day 2000
The Black Hole 1979
Brazil 1985 (Really recommend this one)
Cargo 2009
Chappie 2015 (made me cry)
Children of Men 2006
City of Ember 2008
Code 46 2004
Cowboy Bebop
Edge of Tomorrow 2014
Elysium 2013
Ex Machina 2015
The Fifth Element 1997
Ghost in the Shell 1996
John Carter 2012
(Judge) Dredd 2012
Limitless 2011
Lockout 2012
Mad Max Fury Road 2015
The Martian 2015

Men In Black 1997
Moon 2009
Paul 2011
Predestination 2015
Prestige 2006
Primer 2004
Prometheus 2012
Self/Less 2015
The Signal 2014
Solaris 1972
All of Star Wars.
Stargate 1994
Super 8 2011
Surrogates 2009
Terminus 2016
All of Terminator, although you can skip Salvation
The Thirteenth Floor 1999
THX 1138 1971
Total Recall 1990
Wall-E 2008
Watchmen 2009 (refreshing pre-marvel take on superheroes)
Waterworld 1995

Non-alphabetic -
Sphere (under-water, real nice)
The Last Days on Mars
A.I (cuuuuute)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Lost in Space
Europa Report
Planet 51 (children movie)
Pandorum
Sunshine (really good)
Interstellar (fucking superb)
Event Horizon (REALLY liked this one)
Starship Troopers (do NOT watch the sequels)
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Evolution

District 9
The Cube 1 & 2
Zero Theorem
Enders Game (was ok)
I, Robot
Tomorrowland
Robot & Frank (made me cry)
Guardians of the Galaxy (if you can stand the Marvel-debauchery)
Jupiters Ascend (if you are a 14-year old grill like me)
Maze Runner (meh-tier)
The Riddic movies
Dark City
Blade Runner (was probably amazing when it first came out but I think its 'just' alright)
The Star Trek series, especially the two latest.
Demolition Man (mr snipes makes me moist in this one)
Contact (really good, made me cry)
Akira
Red Planet
Chronicle (surprisingly good)
Big Hero 6
Looper

+ a whole bunch of space-movies i cant remember the title on.

— Would not Recommend —
Starship Troopers 2+
Terminator Salvation
Oblivion (a whole lot of nothing)
Equilibirum (3 edgy 5 me)
A Boy & His Dog (meh)
Automata (nicet try but just inches away from 'goal')
Source Code (nice try though)
1984 (2 bad)
Soylent Green (2 dull)
Franklyn (bad & wierd)
Jumper (2 run-of-the-mill)

I'm going to rate the movies among your recommendations that I've seen, so anons get two opinions:

Brazil - Overrated as fuck. Has some interesting visuals though. OMG WAT IS REEL AND WAT IS BECUZ UR CRAZY?????? XD Interesting but not worth the hype.

Chappie - Meh. Just meh.

Children of Men - Somehow manages to be preachy hippy message, "le resistance" bullshit, and masturbatory "good old Britain chaps" all at once while masquerading as a balanced view. Despite this, actually a pretty decent movie, and has some very good action scenes (action, not necessarily combat).

Cowboy Bebop - Really good, sadly it's so overhyped it can never live up to the expectations if you lurk enough to see it mentioned constantly. But still really good, watch it. Its only sin is the fucking annoying mascot character who is also le sexually ambiguous loli.

Ghost in the Shell - Similarly good and overhyped.

Fury Road - Has the makings of something great, someone really put a lot of thought into the villains, with the half-life, the cult, the intricate tribal designs…then they spread their asses for some feminazi to steamroll the setting with a plot and thematic symbolism so fucking cardboard it almost seems like an intentional parody. Definitely watch once, then stop watching and just remember the good parts fondly. And then go watch the original three Mad Max movies.

The Martian - Good. Not half as good as it could be because Hollywood couldn't resist their action-erection and put in the cartoony stupid ending that the book alluded to as a ridiculous joke plan and never actually did, but still very good. Watch and read the book.

Notable mention, that i forgot to include before checking my library:
Idiocracy (as mentioned many times one way or another in this thread already)
Priest
Splice
Planet of Apes (all)
Gamer
Iron Sky
Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow
Cowboys & Aliens (I know what you're thinking, how can a movie with that title be good, but it actually was)
The Final Cut (minor sci-fi elements but great movie)
Paycheck
The Mist
Titan A.D
Babylon A.D
The Thaw/ Arctic Outbreak
Clockstoppers
Flubber
The Divide
Daybreakers

— Would not recommend 2 —
The Happening
Battleship
I am number four
Monsters (huge waste of time)

Men in Black - Good. The sequel is better. The third one is okay.

Moon - Way better than I thought it would be from the advertising and hype. Quite good.

Primer - If you only watch one movie, make it this one. It's some no-budget talk-rather-than-show indiefest thing…made by engineering students rather than art students. It is possibly the coolest sci-fi movie ever. It's also only 67 minutes long, though it will feel longer watching it. If you don't "get it" after watching it once, watch it a few more times. Very meta, the sequence of the movie is designed to mess with you, but in a more thoughtful and less cheesy way than Memento, which wasn't bad to begin with.

Star Wars - Eh. The first three (which are the second pair of three in order of filming) really aren't worth watching unless you just want some pew pew movies. The original three are obviously the most overrated series in the history of movies, but are actually worth watching at least once. The animated and the seventh I haven't watched so can't comment on, but I mean..Disney.

Stargate - The Stargate movie is actually really good. A little cheesy and for some reason most women can't seem to "get it" at all, but it's quite good.

Terminator - Yeah, watch.

Total Recall - It's good. If you hate Will Smith you won't like it (or Men in Black), but it's good.

Wall-E - Way better than anyone should have expected, it's great.

Watchmen - Final cut is utter shit on the level of V for Vendetta. Director's Cut is somehow way better. Neither is anywhere close to as good as the comic, and it takes some liberties, but Director's Cut is worth seeing at least once.

Waterworld - Everyone must see it once.

how so? The whole human emotion thing?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - downboat

Avatar - two downboats, just go on Youtube and look for the scenes with the best animated panoramas and skip the actual movie. Animation's top notch though even though it's focused on fantasy furshit.

District 9 - It's pretty good but they really ham up the SEE DA MILITARIEZ IS OUT OF TOUCH BADDDD OMG BADDD thing, because otherwise the producers would be called rayciss for not doing a shitty shallow take on the black side of Apartheid. Also WE WUZ ALIEN KANGS KONFIRMED???

The Cube 1 & 2 - Yes and yes. Three can be skipped. Hypercube (4) should be viewed solely for the context of

I, Robot - Okay, could have been better, another Will Smith vs robots, has nothing whatsoever to do with Isaac Asimov's books

GotG - I don't have to see it to know it's worthless furshit

2001 - Good, but pretentious and overrated

Maze Runner - The most predictable movie ever but entertaining nonetheless

Riddick - Good. Except the thing in the first one where instead of killing the bull dyke he magically transforms her into a heterosexual, after fucking around forever and nearly getting killed because he doesn't wax her, despite not caring about her. But overall good.

Blade Runner - Very good. If you don't understand how humans think from an emotionally detached perspective, you won't like it as much.

Star Trek - TNG and related movies are mostly good. Frankly not much else was.

Demolition Man - Very good, Stallone is actually funny (I think it was Stallone, anyways) and Snipes knocks it out of the park.

Akira - It was okay and fun to watch but the japs really need another nuke tbh

The fuck do you cry so much for user?

Fuck, now I feel like watching that again. That and Barbarella, some days I just really love my silly old sci-fi movies.

I recently saw it for the first time and you're right, it is predictable (though what do you expect from a YA novel movie) but it definitely it entertaining. A lot of these YA novel movies have really cool concepts.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment my recommendations.

Brazil - I do not think it was overrated at all. Sure, it was weird and a bit slow at times but that movie really reached out and touched me which is quite rare based on the sheer amount of media I consume.

Children of Men - Yes, the hippie-bullcrap & "good old chap"-british debauchery is everpresent thorough the movie but if you look beyond that its a great & touching movie.

Cowboy Bebop & Ghost in the Shell - I generally do not follow the 'hype' of movies so I cant quite relate to what you're saying here. I think these two were just perfectly fine.Beautifully animated and I get the impression that both movies really, truly have a story they want to share with the viewer.

Fury Road - I'm a bit biased here, watched it twice on IMAX & thrice at home, absolutely love it.

The Martian - Ok, I admit, the ending was a bit too extravagant but overall its a really entertaining & well-made movie.

Men In Black - It is indeed good but I wouldnt say that the second one is better & the third one really sucked (Warning: opinions)

Moon - I agree but as I stated earlier I dont follow the commercials & hype. I just watched it without expectations & was blown away by it. Splendid movie, a tear or two was shed.

Primer - I concur.

Star Wars - All I can say is that I enjoy them. People seem to have very varied opinions about Star Wars.

Stargate - The cheesyness is off the charts at times, indeed. But really enjoyed SG-1 & the actual movie really catered to my sci-fi tastes. Surprisingly good movie, to be based off a show.

Terminator - Yupp.

Total Recall - Luckily for me, I dont hate Willie the Smith.

Wall-E - I adore this one, its fantastic.

Watchmen - Haven't seen the Final Cut, only the Directors Cut. I think its quite a good one with its own way (IMO very successful) way of telling a story. Only negative is that its a bit too long.

Waterworld - Surprised by this one. Its not a "must see" but certainly a gem and rather unique.

Splice - Do you want to watch a cat-bird-downy-birth-defect-gender-bending-somehow-not-actually-furry CGI-ling with 10/10 tits fuck her caretakers/"parents"? Do you want to see sci-fi squick/horror/awwww film turn into bizarre horror/soap opera with a half-assed "it's totally not just fucked up porn" message about "don't cross the gene streams"? No? Then don't bother. Yes? Then watch it you fucking degenerate.

Planet of the Apes - Meh.

Flubber - Looking back I realize it's not as good as I thought it was as a kid, and also that Robin Williams actually always was a massive faggot despite this movie and Mrs. Doubtfire, but the movie is still worth seeing.

Battleship - Second the "would not recommend". It's for the autistic little siblings of army recruits.

Zardoz is the epitome of "total shit, but I enjoy it".

I know, I know, but it was like beyond normal YA predictability. Hunger Games, books and movies, are quite good, but put them next to Maze Runner and you suddenly they seem like the product of a twisted mastermind by contrast.

but you cri evertim?

Don't see the final cut of Watchmen, it's just a sad butchery next to the Director's Cut. It was worth leaving the DC too long.

Yeah i definitely know what you're talking about, if you want even more predictability watch the Insurgent/Divergent series. Cool concept, but insanely predictable.

I started to read one of the books but sort of lost interest at the OMG those happy youth jumping out of a train or onto a trampoline or something I'm going to go have a great time learning to be a child soldier and then something something rebels my parents something war.

You are actually the first person to successfully sell splice to me, which I find to be a slightly worrying realization. Then again, I've been thinking of watching galaxy of terror again for the worm rape scene, so maybe there's no hope left in any case.

I guess you're not here anymore user, but Ex-Machina takes place just a few years from now or I got that vibe from it so there's not mch of a scenery to see

it's not a movie, and if they try to make it into a movie it will fucking suck ass, but if you haven't read Neuromancer yet you should get on it asap
if reading is not your thing you can get it as an audio book and listen to it for about 12 hours

read the filename

I can see why you would say that & I agree that it has its shakey parts but I liked it, especially when they are in the fortress, heck yeah. Also Connery's moustache makes me fawn.

Well, you're not wrong although I think you're exaggerating a bit.

Uh, what (but also yes)?

Really liked the first two thirds of the movie. End was shit but nignog Smith takes of his shirt mrreow.

Furshit, yes. Worthless, no. Still filled to the brim with fan-pandering bullshit though.

I agree wholeheartedly here. It was good but a bit pretentious & blown out of proportion.

Very yes. Aimed towards a younger audience, thus (probably) the predictability. Quite exciting at times.

Well…
Im not an emotional person so its quite rare for movies to really you know go that extra mile & reach out and touch the viewer emotionally
Its easy to make me laugh, to make me feel angry & scared etc but crying? Not so much. They have to be very atmospheric and gripping, so movies that do make me cry deserve extra credit.

My answer is and will forever be YES. She's cute & I think it was quite scary.

Yupp.

Yupp yupp, but when I first watched it way back it made quite the impression. Not worth re-watching.
Used to build flubbers out of clay & oh my god the robots made me moist.

So, so bad & cringey. Very good description, I giggled.

Glad I could help, lol

Notable mention 3:
Alien
The Iron Giant (zomg robot)
Serenity
RoboCop (1987)
K-PAX (Attention: only minor sci-fi elements)
Escape from New York
Treasure Planet
The Adjustment Bureau
The Host
Logans Run
Chernobyl Diaries (a bit odd)
Blindness
Heavy Metal

Serenity was good but it will seem strange and autistic to anyone who hasn't first watched the Firefly series.

Treasure Planet was kind of cool.

Kek I didn't read the book but I do remember that scene in the film, I'll admit it was cheesy haha.

Ender's Game is a shallow, sanitized echo of the book.

Notable mention 4:
Sound of Thunder (barely good)
In Time (quite good, shit-ending)
Outlander
Mars Attacks!
The Running Man
Æon Flux
Tron(s)
WarGames
Tremors
The Matrix (either you like it or you dont)

Do not watch:
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Knowing
Land of the Lost
Coneheads (what the fuck)
Dune
Death Race
Armageddon
The Hunger Games

what's wrong with coneheads?

Coneheads made me very (very) uncomfortable trough the movie and think of having children. I dont find it funny and I wonder why it was made.

Steins;Gate is an anime worth watching, based on a VN I'm guessing isn't worth playing. It's just one season.

Contrived, sometimes a little overdone, and because the Japanese are all without exception autistic it has some gender-bending jailbait retard temple kid character and half of the cast are halfwits, but it's still great despite it.

are we thinking of the same movie?
maybe I was too young to remember or understand what was going on when I saw it

Notable mention 5:
Apollo 18 (had low expectations, surprisingly good)
Doomsday
The Time Machine
Small Soldiers
Repo Men
War of the Worlds (OMG AAAAIIIIRRRR)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
9 (Yes, the title is just '9')
Real Steal (watch with a cute nephew)
Videodrome (cray)
Minority Report (was kinda good, shakey passages)
Gravity (If you're going to watch this, rid yourselfs of any expectations and you'll enjoy it.)
Inception
Snowpiercer (barely good, but still…)

Do not watch:
Her

Yes, the very same Coneheads.
I didnt watch it as a kid, saw it a couple of years ago.

Total Recall (pic related)
The Running Man
Minority Report
The Girl From Tomorrow
Star Trek X - Nemesis
AI, Artificial Intelligence
The Matrix

Notable mention 6:
The City of Lost Children (love this one)
The Abyss (another really good under-water movie)
The Cabin in the Woods.
Galaxy Quest
Attack on the Block (meh-warning)
Westworld
Silent Running
The Road (almost forgot about this one)
Steamboy
Pacific Rim (kinda reminding of Battleship but less cringey. Its like a long advertisement, a forced attempt to start a franchise, still worth it for the robots tho)
Flight of the Navigator (not really good)

Notable mention 7:
The Book of Eli (reminds me of Fallout)
Lilo & Stich (adorable)
Wizards (can't decide if it was good or not but it certainly made an impression)
DARK STAR (Most i've talked to think this one is bad but I disagree)
Fido (mediocre zombie flic)

I fucking hate coneheads, it creeped me out as a kid and it still does now

I see plenty of movies, what about TV shows? The Expanse is really cool, i love the visuals. I usually see everyting on Sy-Fy channel as cheap, but this show blew that out of the water for me. I love how in the show our whole solar system is colonized.

Few films to add to the list

Extraterrestrial - creepy
The Zero Theorem - fascinating
Knowing - creepy and fascinating
Absolutely Anything - funny

Babylon 5 - amazing show, with a slow start though

Dark Matter - gets better as the show goes on, a future controlled by big corp

Star Trek Voyager - a lone ship far from home

Star Trek TNG - captain picard

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - war in the trek world, living on a space station

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes - a corrupt democratic space federation vs a corrupt galactic empire where on each side certain men try to initiate change, big thousand+ ship battles and a great story, you will have serious mantears by the end of the show, starts slow but once you're past the first few episodes you cant stop watching

Stargate SG1 - stargate film, but now with more aliens and worlds

Few films to add to the list

Extraterrestrial - creepy
The Zero Theorem - fascinating
Knowing - creepy and fascinating
Absolutely Anything - funny

Babylon 5 - amazing show, with a slow start though

Dark Matter - gets better as the show goes on, a future controlled by big corp

Star Trek Voyager - a lone ship far from home

Star Trek TNG - captain picard

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - war in the trek world, living on a space station

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes - a corrupt democratic space federation vs a corrupt galactic empire where on each side certain men try to initiate change, big thousand+ ship battles and a great story, you will have serious mantears by the end of the show, starts slow but once you're past the first few episodes you cant stop watching

Stargate SG1 - stargate film, but now with more aliens and worlds

I'm sort of surprised nobody has mentioned Battlestar Galactica among all these sci-fi space movies and series

Try Continuum, it's got a very gripping storyline.

f u

it never gets exciting, and is over before you can even remember the characters' traits.

Great movie if you have ever been through the shitty dating scene, and/or survived a shitty relationship.

The 70's were the best

I'm just gonna bump this thread in case someone missed it

Demolition Man (1993)

That scene where they're supposed to be floating heads, but they're just actors wearing black turtlenecks and spinning around crazily.

Wesley is such an annoying fucking faggot, honestly he makes watching TNG so goddamn difficult every single time.

How many times did Wesley almost destroy the Enterprise when one of his science experiments goes wrong?

He was the most dangerous person to Starfleet and should have been banned from space.

That's what I'm talking about.

That's what I'm talking about.

Jam and all.

The Abyss
like bladerunner actors take centre stage. And its intense

Why are the spaceships from District 9 holding up skyscrapers in that pic

Of course I know the director's cut is the real cut, but I haven't seen it.
Should I just kill myself?

Mah nigga.

That, plus his faggot voice, appearance, attitude, and overall borderline autistic behavior are just so hard to deal with. Honestly, there needed to be at least one episode where Picard took Wesley aside and just beat his ass black and fucking blue.

This thread is ignoring awesome animated films.

Then post some.

How about stargate it's not set in the future and it is not a movie (fuck the movie) but it sure as hell is good

shiet why did this become quote to this guy

Recommendations? Op here, i'll admit i can't fucking stand animated films, dunno why i just don't like em. I'm open to checking some out though, Ghost In The Shell was really cool.

This

RW movies that should get a mention before Flubber are Toys and Bicentennial Man.

Both have some really dark themes for kids/family movies.

Toys has kids as unwitting drone operators before drones were really even a thing (1992).

Watching Bicentennial Man as a kid gave me feels I never asked for.

Anyone know films similar to The Maze Runner? I've watched a few of these YA novel movies but i liked this one the most, i just thought the concept was really neat.

It was predictable like an user above explained, but i'm not necessarily expecting elite directing in this YA novel movies

holy fuck this thread is ancient.

The movie fucking sucked. The book was far better.

Mass effect makes a far better version of star trek. Without the kid shows.

Wall-e, enders game (because the book is better), and Starship Troopers all sucked other than that everything else is great.

That movie was alright.

The Fifth Element is way overrated

mhm

whole list discarded

cvcvcvcvcv

I can't. I'm a dream and a program.

Total recall 1990 has nothing to do with will smith, or am I missing something?
BTW epic movie.

Nice thread.
I embed the 80s cult classic "They Live". Bad movie, but great metaphor.

wat

bump

Looking for a sci fi movie/show (not sure)

If i remember correctly the movie is about a guy that body swaps with a mob boss and is then hunted down, its set in the future.

The Cube is kinda admirable. It's fun to look at.

sci

Iron Sky is a great movie (made in 2012, based in 2018), just make sure you get the Director's Cut. It's about Moon Nazis invading Earth yet is actually a very good film, probably because it take the piss out of the Yanks and the Moon Nazi chick is smoking hot. Sequel coming out next year.

Fucking garbage.

i now have so many to watch

You have to watch a lot considering we've barely touched non-English movies.
Speaking of things, I really like this one. It's more action than science fiction but it's pretty good.