One of those strange mediocre films I watch several times a year getting a reboot

blastr.com/2016-11-8/columbia-cruises-interstellar-war-reboot-robert-heinleins-starship-troopers

What the fuck? The other two reboots of Verhoeven films did shit, so ((( they're ))) trying a third time?

Everything that was even somewhat popular in "nerd" culture gets a reboot with current year slant.

99.9 percent chance there's an anti-trump slant to it

Those were sequels and were based on the shitty original movie.

This remake promises power armor and possibly skinnies.

It could be glorious.

Make it fucking end.

I'm trying to wonder what the purpose is when they all fail to do good business and especially fail on capturing the public's imagination and appreciation. Even Star Wars Episode seven, while making massive bank, has had nowhere near the cultural relevance the original films had. Same with all these remakes. Evil Dead didn't top the previous work, Robocop didn't, Total Recall didn't and so on.

I know its about rewriting history and such but so far it is a complete disaster, this plan of theirs.

How could their possibly be? It's been a while since I read the book, but you have to be in the military to even count as a citizen, I remember that you couldn't vote unless you're a citizen, but I barely remember any mention of any government outside of the military.

It's guaranteed people will go see it on name recognition alone. It will never be anywhere near as successful as the original, and will hurt it by association, but it will still make them some guaranteed money, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters to them.

Plus there have been enough cases where a remake has become more successful and well-known than the original, so they probably base doing it on those instances (The Thing, The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, etc.)

I honestly can't think of any glorious movies Hollywood has put out in the past decade.

uhhh… mad max? dredd?

It was cheesy, but I still liked it. We don't need a fucking another reboot.

You know they will. Nothing is stopping hollywood from changing the story here and there to "sell" the movie.

Dredd was pretty good, but Furiosa Road was garbage, even if you don't buy into the feminist propaganda angle.

i'm only interested because it's supposed to follow the book more.

i mean shit, they actually got decent writers too. yeah, freddy v jason was campy as fuck, but the friday the 13th reboot was hella tight. the total recall reboot producers being on board has me slightly worried a bit, if only for the fact that i fear they may get uppity about what gets put in the film, since that was ass. good cgi and casting (total cashgrab since most of them were wasted), but that was about it.

evil dead wasn't better than the original, but it was just as good. the other two were total dog shit and i wholeheartedly agree with your post.

not sure the dotd remake really topped the original, there was such great social commentary in the original. snyder was smart to deviate from trying to top that and instead make a straight up zombie thriller. it definitely stands with the better zombie films, i'll give it that.

i know you read the same article as me but anderson was a damsel in distress and dredd was the shining knight in armor.

ugh, for the sake of ending the thread derailment, while there were heavy tones of feminism and WAH MEN, ultimately everything good and bad still happened because of men, and women were just there for the ride.

the feminist shit isn't the point here though, it's whether the movies were good or not, and they were great action flicks.

You have a point with Furiosa Road since the fucking people who made it outright said it was.
All you ever parrot about Dredd is stupid shit that so far nobody else on this entire Holla Forums dominated board has agreed with, which is a fucking feat.

It was feminist. Anything else is justifications on your part. It wasn't beating you over the head with feminist messages no, but it was focused on the female characters and portrayed mama as a impossible "badass" gang leader. These are feminist messages even if you are used to them by now.

Anybody who watched the movie knows you're full of shit.

you're a new kind of retard i'm not familiar with.

Dredd didn't even get less screentime, so that isn't even a point.

I hope you both know that movie was a shit adaptation anyway.

I mean, it was alright on its own, but it sucks to know that we'll never get a Dredd movie like the comics.

Nice rebuttal, faggot.

When the main character is supposed is a man and he gets less screen time than two other female characters then yes, it is feminism at work.

FTFY

Her being a villain does not mean she isn't a feminist icon. Feminism includes many such ball breaking power women you fucking retard.

So he's cucked out in the comics too? As in he gets hardly any panels, thought bubbles, or things to say? Regardless this doesn't change the movie's focus. Why wasn't the villain a man? Why did anderson have to tag along? Why are you so eager to slurp up feminist propaganda while calling it "masculine"?

I don't think Total Farrell was a sequel.

I hope it's closer to the book this time.

It's one of the finest pieces of satire ever put to film.

The original was never intended to be an adaptation of the book so they have a good mandate to do something different this time.

That's a good thing. Unless you like gay robot butlers.

"OH DWEEEDDD!"

I'm ok with it if it's a dark and gritty remake.

Reminder:
Dizzy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The blind science teacher>Carmen

Jeez. Why wasn't the villain a man? If it was, you'd ask "Why was the villain a man?" and claim it was feminist.

So much this.
Dizzy best girl was a man in the novel tho
That's why the movie is kind of better

It's a good movie and Judge Dredd feels more emotionally distant until his rage kicks in than in the Stallone movie. Both are good for different reasons.

Kill yourself faggot

I don't think it is physically possible for a decent hollywood adaptation of Starship Troopers to exist, at least not after the 80's.
But at least we have the OVA.

That explains why she was best girl.

is the anime based more on the novel? i would have loved to see mechs in the movie.

Starship Troopers is a great film.

I haven't read the book, but I'm sure it's a bad adaptation. But adapting the book was not the point, the core of Starship Troopers was fleshed out before it was even decided it would use the book's name.

It's a mediocre film if you don't understand what it's doing. Keep in mind that Paul Verhoeven really dislikes nazis and based the intro on Triumph des Willens.

just finished watching this.

interesting, and not enough mechs imo. dunno if i'll like reading the book.

music is fucking stellar though.

i'm hopeful for the reboot to have power armor and skinnies, but to call the first film shitty is just plain wrong.

Then he failed. He only made them look good. Even gay Doogie Howser looked cool in a SS trench coat.

No, he succeeded. He basically made a fake propaganda film. If the space nazis didn't look cool he would have failed.

In his own words,

but in its ridiculousness, people still saw the joke (even if it took them a while) and still loved it for being a competently made film and just great all around.

That's marxist logic right there.

What do you mean?

He's not saying that everyone is beautiful no matter how they look, he's saying that in that world literally everyone looks conventionally beautiful, usually like some kind of aryan ideal (even if they live in Argentina).