Animated kino

Animated kino. No Holla Forumsmbler allowed

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xOf3MVMPGOc
sakugabooru.com/post/show/26068/
thoraxes.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/sound-euphonium-2-episode-01/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mah nigga.

Regarding animated kino there is the Thief and the Cobbler. The original was supposed to be good before it got mangled by Disney. The recobbled cut is supposed to show what the creators had originally wanted to do.

Goes on Holla Forums.

Vid related is supremely underrated. If you haven't seen it, go torrent it RIGHT NOW.

It's all about flash animation. Hand drawn is for patriarchal shitlords who don't know the meaning of hard work.

Animate Batman, specifically this version, is best Batman. Prove me wrong.

I believe these were mostly rotoscoped, and just because they're fluid doesn't mean they're the pinnacle of animation.

Superman was a series of short films, which is very different production-wise from television animation. Mid-20th century Hanna Barbera shows were animated by hand, but didn't look much different from what is made today.

that looks badass. It almost feels like a parody of these shows. Is only the intro this well animated or the whole series?

Does the old school Tex Avery stuff count?

This

I said ==NO Holla ForumsMBLR ALLOWED==

Great, more proof that miyazaki is a fucking hack. Lupin iii part 2 episode 155 is basically a rip off of this.

Every time.

Fuck off back to cuckchan.

Go back to halfchan.

It's all that good, the whole series is ten out of fucking ten.

Doesn't look rotoscoped.

We still have a lot of skilled animators. The main issue is that people constantly demand polished animation under a very tiny deadline like one week, 3 weeks, or 3 months. The reason why corporations place them under short deadlines is because of production costs. Since they have very ridiculous deadlines, they outsource it to foreigners who can do it quickly. The reason why composition and character design looks so basic is because the people that they outsource it to aren't really strong with their drawing skills.

The most time consuming part about animation isn't drawing and timing them, it's having to redraw those frames again.

Not really, the majority of them were done from reference.

I've read that they used rotoscoping. Although I am not sure how much.

When I've looked into how much time it takes to produce an episode of an American show, 9 months is what usually comes up. That seems like a fair amount of time, given how simple the shows look. Some of them are even half the normal episode length (like Gumball, Steven Universe and Adventure Time).

Anime shows seem to have 6-12 months of production (as in actual production, not planning), probably 9 on average, before the first episode airs. Madoka Magica for example started key animation in May 2010 and the first episode aired in January 2011. A 12 episode show like Madoka is aired and done with in 3 months, and the production schedules get so hectic that episodes are sometimes delivered to TV stations hours before the deadline–not necessarily in a finished state–and in the worst cases the deadline is missed and the episode has to be delayed for a week. This goes to show that the episodes don't all get the same 9 months of production time, or not the same amount of resources, before their air date. They are also much, much more demanding to produce than American shows (one reason among many being that they have continuity). Having 9 months to do a low production value episode with no continuity, and possibly only a 10 minute runtime, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Almost all American productions are outsourced to Korea, which is also where Avatar was animated, where Voltron is being animated and where the anime industry regularly sends some work to as well. Those straight-to-video superhero productions are probably mostly done in Korea too. The reason why nearly all American shows look like shit is not because Koreans can't do more advanced animation, and if American animators are so good then why do they need foreigners to do their jobs because the foreigners are faster? And if they are willing to dial down the quality to accomodate the supposedly inferior foreign animators, why not dial it down and keep the production in America? Doing something in-house or in-country is a hell of a lot faster and easier than coordinating with a foreign country speaking a different language.

Basic composition and character designs have been characteristic features of American animation for as long as there has been American animation. It's the cartoon tradition (don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose).

I guess maybe for the humans? I know the Fletscher brothers did some of the popeye stuff so maybe that might come into play.

I don't see anything wrong with rotoscoped animation. Looks fantastic to me, and way better than poor animation or simple artwork + fluid animation.

There's nothing interesting and impressive about rotoscoping, it's just tracing over filmed footage. It's not real animation and it's also very limiting. It does have some uses like how Kids on the Slope used it to capture the musicians who performed the soundtrack to make the on-screen performances accurate:
youtube.com/watch?v=xOf3MVMPGOc

But it would have still been more impressive and cohesive if they had done it from reference like Sound! Euphonium did:
sakugabooru.com/post/show/26068/
thoraxes.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/sound-euphonium-2-episode-01/

It may be a lost art in America, but not in Japan. And in the eighties a lot of American shows were outsourced to Japan.