Tanks are 100 years old today. What are some good tank films?

Tanks are 100 years old today. What are some good tank films?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-inch_Gun_M1918
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_gun_M1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lebanon

The Beast (aka The Beast of War)

Fury is the only movie so far that actually shows how life in a tank actually looks like.

Say what you want about the flick but it nails everything about tanks.

Beat me to it

Also, waiting for that one faggot to purposely say tank girl because it has the word tank in it

Tank girl.

Battle of the Bulge

So how well do you think the reboot will do? Will they go full die cis scum?

Dat ending though was retarded and the fact that M1A2 equipped Shermans couldn't take on a Tiger I triggered me to no end. Everything else was good though.

Posting this b4 "hurr Sherman a shit! German steel far superior!"

How's that different from the first?

Girls und Panzer der film

Cowboy Bebop

someone finally mentioned it.

He does get his facts wrong in a few places but he was right. It is retarded the T-34 is so praised when the Sherman was heads and shoulders better than it. Hell even the 75mm equipped Sherman could generally take on Stug III's and Panzer IV's before they could effectively engage it.

Yeah, the 76mm sherman (fury) could have penetrated that tiger from the front within 500m. In the film, it couldn't even penetrate the side armour despite it being the same thickness as the rear armour which it did penetrate.

It could actually have done it even further than that, well into 1km with a reliable penetration at 750m. If they were using HVAP? Easy 2km. Funny enough the Tiger I would have struggled at those ranges even with APCR to get the Shermans.

Superior version coming through.

kys weeb

is probably the biggest understatement in recent movie history, that ending was awful, it ruined the whole fucking movie for me altho i will admit to some mild auts

best scene was probably them advancing on those guns with the infantry pinned in the field, it was also kind of retarded from a tactical standpoint but it sure looked cool, sum combined arms shit in film is far too rare

I'm glad no one mentioned Fury.

obligatory, it has some goofy parts but its definitely knho

Top tier anikino.

You guys may already know this, but apparently they based the ending of an actual memoir where a platoon found a lone tank crewman in a disabled sherman, completely surrounded by hundreds of dead german soldiers. Doesn't make the ending any less retarded.

I'm honestly surprised that anyone is being so fair about the facts here. Fury's basically been memed to death everywhere from YouTube, to IMDb, to Amazon Reviews about the Tiger scene and how 'Plot Armor Tank takes on a Tiger', even more than the final stand scene.

Where did all these memes come from about the Germans being the absolute greatest at warfare forever? What spawns these Wehraboos?

Easy, because most Wehraboos don't know shit about warfare and a lot of exaggerations get taken as fact without there being a single ounce of fact checking.

Kelly's Heros

The difficulty the M4 faced when dealing with a Tiger isn't that it can't penetrate it or whatever other "deathtraps"-tier meme is going around at any given time, but the fact that while they both will easily punch holes in each other (doubly so with special ammunition like HVAP and Pzgr.40) the Tiger's gun will penetrate the M4 at far greater ranges, with greater accuracy due to the Tiger's vastly superior gunner's sight and ranging methods and with more explosive filler in its standard Pzgr.39 ammunition making penetrating hits more likely to start fuel and ammunition fires.

But then again, who cares about facts when one can instead commandeer history and use it to push one's pet ideology or nation?

Makes sense. How much do you know about tank munitions and such? If you have citations I'd love to hear about early white phosphorus rounds because I heard from a friend that they were issued as smoke shells in WW2 but tankers would use them to fuck up German tanks because they'd panic the crews and burn out the optics. But that was just it, I heard it from a friend and I have yet to track down a real source.

It should be noted that chart is somewhat inaccurate, especially since their ballistics chart uses the values of the shortened 76mm's, not the full blown M1A2 used in the E8 and Hellcat. Here is what happens when you include that data and also the hull.

Also there are a fuckton of missing values for armor or incorrect versions. The Cromwell for example was quickly upgraded by late 44 hell even mid 44 to 102mm of frontal armor. You literally see tons of photographs from the Battle of the Bulge of Shermans with welded on additional plates given them up to 152mm of Frontal.

The 76mm didn't even arrive in the field until halfway through the final year of the war, never made up more than a quarter of M4's by war's end and even then it only had enough penetrative capability to make it stand on near-equal terms with the L/56 using an uncommon round that was also needed for dealing with other German heavies on top of being prioritized to be given to TD's over tanks.
Even then the HVAP still lacks explosive filler, requiring either a lucky hit, or multiple hits until you hit something important to kill an enemy tank.
The M4, regardless of model still lacked range-adjustable sights and stadiametric rangefinding marks: you just attempt to guess the range and fire and adjust until you hopefully hit your target before he ranges and fires back.

I didn't know that there were shorter and longer barreled 76mm m1's in use on the M4.
Do you have a source?

It all ends up becoming more and more selective, at first the posts tend to be brash, "the M4 could go toe-to-toe with the Tiger" and then they rapidly whittle down to "certain models by the final months of the war were in some ways equivalent to the Tiger."

Do you have a source?

Funny enough you won't hear them talked about in regards to Shermans, however if you read up on the Hellcat or even just put pictures side by side to one another it's very evident there were two distinct 76mm's in truth there were around 4 or 5

A good book to cite:

Rickard, J (29 May 2014), M18 76mm Gun Motor Carriage 'Hellcat'

Nah, the Soviets fielded both and considered them to be on the same level combat capability wise.

If any of you faggots say Fury, fucking kill yourself.

The Sherman had the main advantage in ease of use and comfort. Which matters to the actual crew of the machine. They were also better built because American Manufacturing had much better quality control methods, leading to much less manufacturing defects.

Read Dymitriy Loza's "Commanding the Red Army's Shermans" for more info if you're interested.

He states in the book the advantages of the Sherman.

If you're just going off how good a tank is in combat, then you're missing a huge margin of what makes a tank design actually effective.

Although I wouldn't say the Sherman is "Head and Shoulders" above the T34, I do know which I'd prefer to crew.

The Army went through many different Gun designs for use on the Sherman, with none of them fitting well inside the turret, though they were fielded (I'm pretty sure it was the same 76mm as the M5 AT gun) then they developed a new medium tank design that failed miserably, but gave them a bigger turret that could them be stuck on the Sherman's hull and voila you now have the full fledged 76mm shermans of the Easy 8 flavor.

The user here is probably assuming that those trials with the M5 style 76mm were actually fielded, which he'd be incorrect. (Though the gun did find its way onto The Sherman's hull in the form of the Open-topped M10 "Wolverine" and again on the M3 Half-track for Anti-tank roles)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-inch_Gun_M1918

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_gun_M1

The answer is obvious!

lol, my grandfather was actually in that battle.

Dubs of truth

Tank you for this thread. Tank you very much.

haha I get it, he's asian

I've ner seen Girls and Panzer but every clip i've seen is so hilariously stupid it makes me giggle like a madman.