What is the message of Back to the Future?

What is the message of Back to the Future?

Is time travel meant to be good or bad?

In BTTF 1 time travel is portrayed as a good thing since it improves Marty's life but in BTTF 2+3 it has negative effects and Doc says it's too dangerous to use time travel then at the end of 3 he says fuck that and builds a time travel train?

wtf Zemeckis.

That time travel gives you Parkinson's disease.

Lisa: Maybe there is no moral, Mom.
Homer: Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened.
Marge: But it certainly was a memorable few days.
Homer: Amen to that.
[the whole family laughs]

If you stop Donald Trump your will have a great future.

What's great about ThermoNuclear War?

Yes, Civil War 2 Semitic Boogaloo will be fun.

As Isaac Asimov pointed out, most science fiction revolves around an invention and comes in three flavours:

>Gadget: The focus of the story is the invention itself. e.g. man invents car, holds lecture on how it works.
>Adventure: The invention is used as a dramatic prop. e.g. man invents car, gets into a car chase with a villain.
>Social: The focus of the story is on how the presence of the invention affects people's daily lives, whether for good or for ill. e.g. man invents car, gets stuck in traffic in the suburbs.

Using this framing, BTTF is Adventure. The Delorian is a macguffin that gets Doc and Marty in a sticky situations, and must then be used to get them out of them; a time machine moves the plot forward and runs by "mumble mumble flux capacitor" and causes interesting adventure, there's no real message about time travel other than it's incredibly risky and unpredictable. Not everything needs to have an underlying message or moral or commentary.

BTTF3 still would have been better if Doc stayed in the Wild West and time travel was no more.

BTTF 1, time travel can let you fuck your own younger mom once.

Maybe, but i guess they wanted to keep the door open for a potential BTTF4.

he never fucked her, she just took a peek at him while he slept

Which won't happen unless Robert and Bob die

That's the message. Doc Brown says it right at the end. All the good and bad about time travel is really just anxiety over making decisions, but the point is you can change things, and you can always keep trying.

Any problem created by a time machine has a good shot at being fixed by a time machine.

Hey Kurt, it's your cousin Marvin… Marvin Cobain. Remember that new sound you were looking for, well listen to this…

Building the time train is actually consistent with Doc's character. It's similar to how he pieced the note back together in BTTF 1. He knows the responsible thing to do, but says fuck it and does the irresponsible thing anyway. This is a key trait of being a mad scientist.

wew

Was Doc the last well done mad scientist?

Never let anybody call you chicken.

Jews rewrote the third movie. Doesn't count.

ok chicken.

The moral of BttF is that history is often made of coincidences, split second decisions and random happenings. What we believe is the monolithic, unique direction of our life might as well be changed completely by a single event in time.

Then you got chapters 2 and 3, which state respectively how greed is bad and love is good.

/THREAD

You know, it's pretty funny that BTTF2 predicted 80s bars.

That's a good point.

I would have preferred the ending to be definitive and bittersweet though, time train left open room for a sequel despite THE END.

It's just a fun movie.

Not really, every generation has hipsters and nostalgia fags that insist 20 years ago was better. The 80's was obsessed with the 60's only being grittier: monster movies, scifi, political dystopia, etc.

so in the 60s people were saying the 40s was better?

In the 60-70s, the contestation crowd had demonized the 50s. So when BTTF came out and treated those like some sort of golden age, the in crowd treated the movie as Reagan\yankee propaganda.

And that's not completely wrong. The korean war, McCarthy and apartheid marked the american 50s but are seeminly invisible in BttF.

could be because they were invisible in the life of average small town white folk

fixed

Time travel is dangerous.

Messages in movies is CANCER.

I disliked it as a kid because of the setting but now that I'm older I like it more.

BTTF has huge franchise potential.

all I know is that they could have stopped the holocaust and didnt

probably the most anti-semitic franchise in history

Time travel is fine for anyone that's not a hothead.