‘Ben-Hur’s Weekend Apocalypse: Is There Redemption For Faith-Based Epics At The B.O.?

With an estimated production cost that’s in the vicinity of $100M, MGM and Paramount certainly didn’t build Ben-Hur to fail this weekend.

But if there’s one Come-to-Jesus from this remake’s estimated disastrous $11M opening: It’s still a challenge for Hollywood to cross over a faith-based film to the masses 12 years after the $370M ($612M global) success of Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ.

Ben-Hur is the third big-budget faith-based movie from a major studio to fall from box office grace in the wake of Noah ($101.2M domestic B.O., $125M production cost) and the mighty Moses misfire Exodus: Gods and Kings ($65M domestic B.O., $140M cost).

deadline.com/2016/08/ben-hur-box-office-bomb-faith-based-films-suicide-squad-sausage-party-war-dogs-1201806438/

What did they change from the original?

No one cares about the kike on a stick anymore

nah.

smart move.

I thought the problem with this was that its a remake of a classic film rather than the religion angle.

This is still the most fucking retarded thing said on a chan.

Did that hurt your tender, little, feelings, christcuck?

found the jew with no life on a friday night

Unlike your lord and saviour, I'm not a kike.

Were there any blacks in the original? This one has morgan freeman in it.

First or second?

There was virtually no marketing for the film, as they were relying on name recognition to sell the film, completely ignoring the fact Ben Hur came out in 59, so the built in audience for it is fucking ancient. The original isn't even on Netflix, for fuck's sake.

I didn't even know it was faith based, and I like to think i'm somewhat *up* on things like that. I thought it was just another Gladiator.

it was barely religious. theres a scene in the original were jebus gives water to heston and you see the sermon on the mount going on in the background, and chuck's waifu wants him to hear jebus speak, but he refuses.
so apparently having like, 3, scenes involving jebus in your 3-hour historical epic is sufficient to call a movie "faith-based."

i have no idea how much jebus is in this remake, because remakes are cancer.

Good to see even normalfags are rejecting christcuckery.

That's why we have to keep diversity diverse by segregation.

Mixing it up only produces mongrelized trash no different from sexual confusion.

didn't they rip on this in hail caesar?

Christians didn't bother to watch it. I'm Christian and I didn't see it because I don't trust Hollywood. They fucked up Noah and Exodus filling them with heresies. It's like trusting Satan to make a Christian movie.

newfag detected

satan would probably make the best christian movie of all time, seeing as how he was once the most beloved angel.

also, what did you consider heresy in exodus? i didn't see noah, but i saw exodus and thought it was decent, they didn't use the silly ass magic stick and instead used like actual scientific possibilities for the plagues.

The original Ben-Hur, while it did have religious themes, was more remembered for being one of Hollywood's biggest movies at its time. Scenes like Ben-Hur rowing the boat and the chariot scene is what it's most vividly recalled for.

There was one

*tips trilby*

I'm no Christcuck, as Abrahamism of any sect is theistic Judaism.

But Atheism is just non-theistic Judaism.

I don't really get the obsession with religion. I mean, we are all going to find out what happens after death soon enough. Why even worry about it? Whatever happens, if anything, will happen. Seems like a waste of time to dwell on and fight about it.

What happened to that action centered adaptation of John Milton's Paradise Lost?

i'm not against having faith or believing in a higher form

but church and all that shit can go fuck itself. i'm not following some shit book or singing preachy songs for two hours.

A perfectly respectable view.

There was no reason to remake this film at all. No one wanted this film so no one will see this film simple as that.
Ben-Hur like Ghostbusters, Conan the Barbarian, The Thing, Predator, Total Recall, etc. will be remembered only by the original movie and not the "modern" Adam Sandler style money laundering knock offs.

Also I think we've finally hit the limit on at least some of the crazy radical leftism in movies & a little on jewish victimization propaganda in the case of Ben Hur I am referring to the fantastical fiction and audacity of Ben Hur's story in the original and new film.
The Story of Ann Frank gets tiring when seen for the 6 millionth time.

I think it comes from a need to carry on when a loved one dies.

Atheist funerals are fucking depressing as shit.

I believe in the truth, Jesus Christ, I don't give a shit about your newspeak horseshit mental gymnastics like "syncretic religion" used to justify your trap fetish.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Also nowhere does the Bible say Satan was a "beloved angel".

Christcuck, I believe it's time you went back to your kike-worshipping containment board.

Figures you'd have a fedora, simpleton. Now off to church with you.

Teen edgemaster strikes again

Mindless christcuck strikes again.

They must have cut their losses on marketing because I've heard nothing about the movie except that it bombed. No star in the lead role killed it I'd say.

To be honest, when i saw the posters i thought it was some indian production or redditor film.

newfag

Witnessed