So how good is Godzilla (1954)? I was thinking of picking it up on Amazon. I've seen a few Godzilla movies...

So how good is Godzilla (1954)? I was thinking of picking it up on Amazon. I've seen a few Godzilla movies, and I'm aware that the original treats the material much more seriously, but I'm wondering if it still holds up to this day. From the few shots that I've seen, it looks very well done in terms of cinematography, special effects, and sound. Thoughts?

Also I've heard rumours that the west will be getting a Resurgence release some time later this year. Any truth to this? It seems like it's getting quite a bit of praise in Japan. Godzilla thread, I guess.

I thought that thing was using a couple of train cars as nunchucks.

Imagine how much more awesome it would be.

It's one of the best 50's disaster flicks, alright. Most of the actors and dialogue are pretty boring, but the special effects are effective. The cinematography is the best part of the movie, the black and white film truly hides the defects of the visual effects and gives this movie an absolutely amazing atmosphere. It's no kurosawa, but still an enjoyable flick.

It's gonna be trash, son. Shit visual effects, shit cinematography, shit plot that doesn't make sense, even more boring sameface actors, lame music, and most of all the director is a zack snyder tier massively overrated hack.

Watch final wars if you want to see such autistic shit.

you sound triggered.

One could argue that nearly all of those complaints are present in almost every Godzilla movie to date. I seriously doubt it'll be that bad, but I think it's another case of Japan getting an okay thing from a sea of trash then blowing it out of proportion. I'm also aware of Anno and his work. Love & Pop was good, and while I'm not a huge fan of anime, I can appreciate some of the stuff in Evangelion/EoE. Still doesn't make it amazing or even good, but there was some heart in the series. However accidental it might have been. Comparing him to Snyder is almost an insult.

Because Final Wars was written like fan-fiction. What is worse is that it would keep cutting back to the people fighting, which is even cringier than the monster fights.

Snyder's Watchmen and 300 were watchable flicks. He's the perfect hollywood analogy to anno.

Eva is a mess. Half of the symbolism means jackass, they're only there for "aesthetics". It's like Sucker Punch meets Cuck of Steel in anime format, really.

At least there's no pretense of the symbolism meaning anything, most of that is just a part of the fanbase circlejerking over how "great of a director" Anno is for including "such deep and meaningful" setpieces which in reality are more just Anno's own autistic little homages to Tokusatsu

The characters are pretty fun to watch interact in the original show though, I'd say that's what most people watch it for, though allegedly that was mostly accidental on Anno's part, and even if it wasn't I don't think anyone is going to see Godzilla to get to know the cast of characters

and the snyder comparison isn't accurate, he's much more of a Jap Lucas

I can confirm Anno did not fuck up Godzilla, the most he used from EVA was the using Decisive Battle eight damn times on the soundtrack and a few visual ques with the tanks and other weapons but otherwise the movie is 100% Godzilla adoration that does something new while keeping it entirely rooted in what Godzilla fundamentally is.

It's alright. Personally, I think Godzilla is at it's best when it's being silly as fuck.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I mostly watched it for Shinji's monologues and the animation or lack thereof. I couldn't really stand the interactions outside Shinji and Rei/Lilith. Most of it seemed half-assed and cliché. I also think the action was very well done in both the show and the movie. Take this scene for example. The symbolism actually matches with Asuka being "reborn". There are some obvious moments where it's all very deliberately and well done.

I don't want to turn this into an Eva thread but:

I honestly though Shinji's monologues were the weakest part of the show, most of the time it seemed like barely connected gibberish Anno thought up at the last second to fill time, and then loop it 3 times over to fit even more time because of the strained animation budget

Yeah, so I didn't even watch the clip I posted because I figured it was the entire scene where she emerges from the water.

Same. I'll just say that I can definitely see what you mean, but I thought they were far more engaging than anything else in the show. It's not all gold, but there are some parts that really stand out. Especially in EoE. I felt they were relatable and spoke about things that were far beyond anything the original show had to offer. I think it's funny that a lot of people praise it for being "deep" when everything is told to the viewer/Shinji in a pretty direct manner. That doesn't apply to the plot of course as it's mostly crap.

Putting grandeur shit without thinking of any meaning behind them is the very definition of pretentious film making. Tarkovsky's Zerkalo has a lot of weird scenes and shots, but they fully make sense because they're all taken from the memories and dreams of a dying man, and they DO look like real life dreams.

But George Lucas isn't pretentious at all. At least half of Lucas' Star Wars is actually a fun farce. It's his fans who kept pushing him to make pretentious shit and dislikes the comedic direction he wants to take.

How does that TECHNICALLY make it a good movie? What made 1954 Godzilla great wasn't the story, plot, or the anti nuclear message. It was the visuals, sound effects, and masterful cinematography and editing. Anno doesn't seem to pay attention to what truly made the original Godzilla great.

He does though. That's what I'm talking about. When I say Godzilla adoration I mean he took all the right ques from the original but at the same time did something new. Godzilla even trashes the same landmarks he did originally plus the new stuff Tokyo has built since then, he lampoons both the right and left wing and Japanese culture in general, many of the visuals are taken 1:1 from the original after a certain scene occurs.

I seriously can't get over how silly those arms look. Godzilla has always had stubby arms but this new design makes him look like he has baby arms.

Those are not what I meant. Was it the kind of building Godzilla trashes and the mocking of japanese politics that made OG Godzilla great? No it wasn't. It's all just stupid useless details, nothing but fanboy autism.To make a good homage of a film, you should take the aesthetic aspects that truly made the film instead of plagiarizing it step by step.

I watched the 54 Godzilla when I was a young teenager. I don't remember much of the details, but what I still remember are the things that really amazed me, such as the dark gloomy skies with flashes of bombs and artillery explosions, and godzilla ripping through the blazing city landscape. It looked like the nightmares of London Blitz, Dresden, and Tokyo bombing.

Even if the rest of the films are shit, the military night strike in 98 Godzilla and parachute scene in 2015 Godzilla are a good homage to the dark imagery of 54 Godzilla that is stuck in my head. These are what homage truly means. Details are irrelevant.

it's a huge part of the movie's subtext you dumbshit, you're talking about fanboy autism when it seems the only thing you cared about was fucking bombs going off?

The effectiveness of mise-en-scene is dictated by so much more than just simply subtext you moron.

The subtext is part of the whole package required to actually apprecaite the film beyond your sperging out over pretty explosions. Also anyone who seriously claims the 98 movie in any fucking capacity homaged the original movie in any effective capacity is someone with severe brain damage.

You know what, you don't know shit about what mise en scene means.

Sorry Quentin, I forgot you went to film instead of film school

I understand complex themes are difficult for autistics to comprehend but at least read some of the critical analysis of the movie or atl east the Wiki articles of the very talented men behind it before screeching about fanboys and regurgitating terms like 'mise-en-scene' to make yourself look like a serious film buff.

Except I didn't though. The mise en scene theory applies to all cinema, and like I said, it's way more than just subtext.

Humans were the real monsters.

watch the original
watch the american remake from 2014

that's all you need

Godzilla was a woman in the NGE one? Fucking lame.

If we just had let Godzilla evolve even further, we could have had Goji-girl waifus.

BRAVO ANNO
R
A
V
O

A
N
N
O

Anno confirmed once and for all for being a hack who can't write.

It's shit.

It's shit though.

it's better than any of the 25 sequels

the first mistake they made was making a sequel to a film that didn't need it

But not better than 98 remake, it's more pointlessly boring and the CGI looks like shit at times. Both are shit flicks though, but at least the 98 one wasn't as gay as the 2014.

kill yourself instantly niggerface.

"Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster" is the best Godzilla movie.

It WAS better, though.

No it wasn't and it wasn't even a Godzilla movie. It didn't look like Godzilla, it didn't have Godzilla's atomic breath power which is in EVERY Godzilla movie, it didn't have Godzilla's signature roar, it didn't have Godzilla's theme song. It wasn't even Godzilla. The 98 "Godzilla" was a stupid dinosaur movie that got the rights to the name "Godzilla".

You sound like you're 10 tbh

Shit excuse. 2014 Godzilla is a bigger pile of shit no matter how "godzilla" it is.

Now that's just bullshit.

What

it's a bad movie because it's a shitty monster movie with the godzilla name attached to it, roland emmerich's only real good movies were stargate and the patriot, and they were flukes.

I'm not judging it by some autistic criteria of being a "real" Godzilla movie, I'm judging it as a movie, and I'd still rather watch it than the 2014 movie.

Emmerich might be a shit director but gareth edwards is still a bigger hack. Rogue one looks worse than any emmerich flick.

i agree that rogue one looks like shit, but disney also forced re-shooting to make it more kid friendly, so that's not on him.

so you like complete shit is what you're saying?

the original is the best of them all. I'd highly recommend it. anti-nuclear theme is well done and strong, there is a debate about whether to study or kill Godzilla which mirrors the nuclear debate which is well done. Haven't seen Resurgence but I'll check it out when I can.

For crying out loud, both movies are crap no matter how you look at them. 98 version sucked because the monster was a fucking pansy and the movie tried to mimic Jurassic Park way too much and the 2014 version sucked because the movie wasn't even about Godzilla.

the focus of godzilla was never on godzilla you fucking pleb. go rewatch the original, see how long the fucking thing is in it for (hint, about the same time as 2014), and notice what the film focuses more on. the shitty sequels did that by turning it from a social commentary on nuclear power/war into a joke monster movie series.

I don't know if it's true, but it's confirmed to be false rumor though.

Of course they're both shit, but I hate them for a different reason than you. The 2014 Godzilla is worse because it has bland acting, unbelievably bad script, bad cinematography except for that one scene with 2001 score, shit tinting, blurry CGI, and most other things that is a cancer to modern gigantic budget flicks.

98 Godzilla is technically a better flick no matter how you see it. Yeah, they got the theme totally wrong, but at least the execution was much better. In the 98 version, godzilla is a fairly innocent animal that is too big and aggressive to live with humans so humans had no choice but to exterminate it, unlike the other flicks where godzilla is the force of nature. I still hate the "godzilla is a good guy" theme in the 2014 version more though.

don't believe everything you read, user. the fact is the disney suits didn't like the first cut because it "didn't match the tone of the other films" aka kid friendly shit and merchandising out the ass. they covered it up by telling you that re-shoots were planned all along.

But what if I already hated it since day one, when the first production pic was surfaced?

Frail looking female main protagonist, there's barely a white guy in the team, and the film filter and set looks so fucking bland.

When did I ever say I liked Godzilla 98 faggot?