Batman / Bruce Wayne

Ignoring the movies as a whole, who played Batman/Bruce Wayne the best?

/thread

Kevin Conroy did the best job. Although I personally think there's 3 parts to Batman's character:
1.Batman: the dark unrelenting vigilante.
2.Playboy Bruce Wayne: a persona Bruce Wayne uses to mask his true self in public and is partying all the time.
3.Real Bruce Wayne: the most depressed and mentally tortured person you'll ever meet.
Michael Keaton did Real Bruce Wayne and Batman fine, but he didn't do playboy Bruce Wayne.
Christian Bale did Playboy Bruce Wayne and Real Bruce Wayne fine but sucked as Batman. Ultimately Kevin Conroy does all three perfectly. If you want to see the best Batman film check out Batman Mask of the Phantasm.

Kilmer was the best live action Bruce Wayne. All live action Batmans sucked ass.

The obvious choice.

I like mildly autistic Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne.

The answer is obvious.

Good Dubsman, terrible Batman and Wayne. Next.

Kevin Conroy is my favourite by far, but I guess he's more Holla Forums territory. None of the live action Batmans have been particularly outstanding in their portrayals.

Adam West is the closest thing to a Christopher Reeve style iconic portrayal, but he was drunk off his ass throughout his show's run.

Michael Keaton was all right, but only gave a muted performance as the character. Nothing really memorable from him.

Val Kilmer had the right, but again didn't have any moments where he really shone as the character.

George Clooney played himself so it doesn't exactly count as a Bruce Wayne Batman.

Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne was also kind of muted, but was memorable for his terrible bat voice. If anything, he was just acting as a prop or a situation for the other characters in his films.

I have no reason to expect Batfleck to be any less dull than his predecessors, especially with the try hard guns and manslaughter thing he's got going. Maybe I should be evaluating him as a Frank Castle Batman what-if scenario instead.

He was alright as Wayne but a horrible batman because of the silly bat-voice.

I never got this, it seems to me like the Animated series is so overrated simply because most of you were kids when you saw it.

I saw Mask of the Phantasm and it was okay, not amazing or anything.

This. While Kilmer wasn't the best Bat (see: that retarded goofy smile he does after seeing Chase Meridian for the second time), when it to playing the suave/troubled millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, he did it spot on. Keaton was a decent Bat, but he looked way too wimpy to be Bruce Wayne.

You suck at getting dubs just like how you suck at being the dark knight.

What a plebeian.

Jesus, how JUSTed did Valmer get?

**Kilmer

I suck dicks

Buster Keaton. The 50's Batman all sucked dick. Klima and Cloney were also utter shit as Batman, and their movies were horrible.

Personally I liked Mask of the Phantasm because it brought Batman to his roots as a detective and focused more on his intelligence than his gadgets. It's a pretty tragic movie overall.

Michael Keaton of course.

Why are you explaining it to a normalfaggot.

You know people have opinions independent of channel autism right? I like it because it's a damn good show jesus dude.

Batman is a stupid character and literally anyone can play him competently. Val Kilmer was the best blank slate goth in tights.

Adam West.

Everyone else takes him too seriously, an example of how manchildren and their obsession with grimdark ruin what made something popular.

Even though they were bad, I for some reason want more Schumacher Batman movies.

BTAS very early episodes was ok for it's time, but outside of nostalgia glasses yes it wasn't the end all and be all of animated shows. That comes later, If you want to get specific about it it's really the later ones and how it paved the way for Justice League and JL:Unlimited, particularly the Cadmus arc and DCAU in general.

The later episodes of BTAS where it still stands up even today IMO are the ones that has the slight re-design where it became less Fleischer influenced and more angular and streamlined further. By that point Bruce Timm's design became even better IMO, and Conroy has pretty much nailed his interpretation of the character.

If you're going just by the early episodes, you might have a point with overrated or nostalgia blindness. The later ones though, fuck no, they were genuinely good. Maybe a few contrarian faggots will disagree, but they're basically hipster faggots in a different trilby. You will know them by their call.

Thats the problem though, you say something is overrated and everyone thinks you must mean its complete shlock.

It's just overrated.

Reminder that Young Justice will never get season 3.

Bob Kane singlehandedly created Batman literally all by himself.

Oh please, Batman was popular before Adam West. That 60's Batman ruined it with its camp homosexuality, which Schumacher brought back in the 90's making it even worse.

No way, the animated series was better earlier on when Timm's autism was reigned in by FOX. The latter end of TAS and the Justice League shit were horrible and marked the beginning of agendas being shoehorned into children's shows which we see spiraling out of control today. And the animation style was worse, blocky, less sophisticated, having a generic feel that met its ultimate expression in that piece of shit show Static Shock.

i thought he ripped off the shadow

Shut up! Shut the hell up!

That's a funny way to spell "G-d".

I'm talking later TNAB era BTAS episodes though, and the JLU Cadmus arc, you felt they were overrated? Man alive now you got me curious and I must ask, what is your baseline comparison. Again I'd agree with you if you meant the very early episodes of BTAS.

Wait a minute here, at least production timeline wise Static Shock wasn't the final end look of Timm's BTAS design. That was arguably JLU, and maybe some of the DCAU movies. Static Shock seemed to be more of a side branch like The Zeta Project. Sheeeit, you'd have more of a case if you said Batman Beyond instead. Design wise at least.

Not enough sales on the toyline and merch if the rumors are true. YJ season 1 was meh. Season 2 though, that was pretty good.

What kind of ego trip of a gravestone is that? Holy shit just carve a hand stroking his cock on top of it already. I'd tell the man who made it and the corpse of Bob Kane to get a room but dear god he's probably in the coffin with him already.

It's all comes from Bruce Timm's hack loins. It's all part of the same animated universe formed by his art style. I still stand by the claim that he was at his best when he was aping Fleischer and being reigned in by FOX. He's not a great talent and WB giving him more creative license and his own ego inflating is what finally ended up doing in that animated universe.

To each their own. While I don't hate the Fleischer art style, I was never a huge fan of it when it comes to it being animated, original Fleischer or Timm version's of Fleischer. Something about it seems unwieldy when it's in motion, INB4 rotoscoping since that's not what I meant. I think Fleischer stuff looks great when it's used as a background style, or in a storyboard or graphic novel. But IMO Timm's later streamlined design is better suited for motion.

But it wasn't better suited for motion, it was better suited for cheaper production practices. The whole redesign was made to make the animation process faster and easier, and therefore cheaper, and consequentially require less talent. It only looked more fluid to you because it was easier to do than more complicated animated. Fleischer was no Walt Disney, but his animation was still superior to anything in the Timm DC-verse, early or latter.

While B&R was outright trash, Forever, taken as a summer blockbuster version of Batman, was not that bad, cheesy lines aside. The lighting and set design still looks amazing, and the effects work still holds up, garish mid-90s CG aside. Outside of deleted scenes, it sucks we'll probably never see the 2 and half hour cut that had better continuity and was supposedly more darker and similar to Burton's films.

The only problem I have with JL/JLU is that it took itself way too seriously and not in the way people expect. Instead of going grimdark or wacky, it played things somewhat cynically. It's hard to put a definitive label on it. The writers had a strange attitude towards presenting things in the show. The humor and jokes are almost self-aware in a sense and the sarcasm seems to be directed inward. It's almost borderline "awkward" humor and each character seems to never take themselves seriously, hence why I would almost describe itself cynically.

Part of this problem began all the way back in the 90s Superman series where they made a big decision on how to handle power levels. They decided that in order for things to be interesting, it had to be grounded; in the sense that even nigh-invulnerable characters could die just from enough punishment. This set a major precedent on how it handles action and how characters could compete with each other. In a way it was utilized as an interesting writing challenge but also means that Superman and by extension other super powerful characters were unpredictably weak and unreliable. A typical action scene is like this:

All I want to know is who was responsible for this and if they still have influence in DC animation because it needs to stop.

This comes from writers not understanding the best way to show overpowered characters is creating situations where they have the wisdom to NOT to use their powers or otherwise having to curb their powers in some way. Just making them weaker or constantly stunned just makes them like any other superhero and misses the point.

Kevin Conroy without a doubt overall.

But Val Kilmer is the best Bruce Wayne AND Batman. He had the right balance of both, the uncut Batman Forever is the best Batman live action film besides Batman Begins on both a technical and adaptation feel; Begins was a great enhancement of Year One (actually wrote a paper comparing the two) and Forever was as close to comic books as you are going to get with Batman while still keeping decent actors.

Kilmer is a very underrated actor though, in my opinion, so I'm a little biased. I don't think Michael Keaton was very good; he did well acting wise, but the direction Tim Burton took him in was too far from Bruce Wayne.

A lot of people don't realize that the reason why Kevin Conroy is hyped up is not because his voice and performance is iconic but it's because he's invested so much in the character that it's almost an obsession for him. You can see him talking in panels and he takes himself way too fucking seriously. He even had the audacity to make a video blog addressing Christian Bale telling him why his batman voice was made fun of. Even if you don't like Bale's batman voice, you have to admit that Conroy is hyper-invested in Batman to the point it's a bit creepy.

I still wonder what's the story with Kilmer. He was at the peak of his career when he made movies like Tombstone and then he seemed to go into hiding when he made Batman Forever. People see pictures of him now and wonder if that's even the same person. Did he get literally fucked by hollywood?

Returns is the best Batman movie by far

I'll still take Conroy over samevoice anime dub voice actors, or shitty celeb voice stunt casting. And Conroy did a pretty good job as Captain Sunshine, which is basically Batman and Superman with a dash of unconfirmed ignorant rumors and inuendos of a Neverland rancher. So at least there's a possibility he's not that hyper invested super serious, just enough of a pro to respect his profession. And Bale batman voice was pretty bad.

I can't find an archived video at the moment. But I did remember seeing an Entertainment Tonight quick interview promo a long time ago, when Superman DCAU series came out. I'm not sure if it's Dini or Timm, or someone else but whoever it was basically said this animated series version of superman powerlevel will not be god incarnate, for dramatic purposes and animation purposes. Might also be a difference between animated and live action.

The 90's probably did have a fairly large part in that, but iirc that's not an ironclad rule so much now. If I'm not mistaken Superman in DCU JL War and Throne of Atlantis animated had a higher power level or at least higher near invulnerability vs DCAU JL and JLU version.

Doesn't count because he's Batman, but he's not Bruce Wayne.

he's practically a clone

Well, Kilmer and (((Shumacher))) didn't get along while filming Forever, to the point where Val wouldn't speak to Joel for two weeks. Perhaps Joel saw fit to fuck with his career somehow. It at least explains why Clooney replaced Val in B&R.

No he isn't. Terry is more like Robin, less morose than Bruce. He has a mother, a brother, a girlfriend, friends he hangs out with. He's more normal.

Conroy, because he's managed to embody the persona of Batman in the minds of so many with only the use of his voice, whereas everybody else had physical appearance, physicality and use of action and yet none of them really managed to capture the personality or character of Batman.

Only in the same way that you're practically a clone of your father

You've seen the 2 and a half-hour cut? Only a handful of deleted scenes are on DVD.

Get that crap outta here.

As others have said, Kilmer came close, followed by Bale. The only ones that don't work are Clooney and Keaton, the latter of which was in hindsight not a good fit as Bruce Wayne.

I don't remember Kilmer being particularly great.

Bale had the physicality down. His movements were very graceful. Burton/Schumacher era Batman was very stiff and robotic.

Captain America was the americans' idea of a messiah against the nazis.

Nolan Batman is the americans' idea of a messiah against terrorists.

It's embarassing to watch these movies and realize that someone actually wants this to become real, because the truth is that your government is the one arming IS\ISIL for a proxy war against Syria.

they're all shit

take this capecuckery to >>>Holla Forums

Michael Keaton, his tone as Batman is still emulated to this day. With the exception of George Clooney who was going with the Adam West style.

Well, I guess there's at least one person out there who thinks the TNBA designs looked better.

The only redesign that bothered me was the lack of defined lips on the Joker, it takes too much away from his expressive ability that they put to great use in the previous series. Luckily Timm gave him lips again in Justice League.