I don't think LadyHawke could have been made nowadays

I don't think Hollywood would have taken the risk.

The experimental age of film is long over. All that matters is the bottom line.

if you were financing a film, wouldn't you want it to make a profit?

But I wouldn't finance a piece of shit that caters only to the retarded.

t. de laurentiis

Zero sum is good enough. Or see it as an investment into the advancement of cinematic art.

good for you

unfortunately, many others do want a profit on their investments

Hence the current state of the film industry.

feel free to make these artistic investments yourself if you think they're so important

Spoken like a true Jew.

Fuck making something enjoyable or fun just for the sake of it, maybe inspiring greater works down the track.

Nope, count those shekels, involve yourself more with monthly dividends and quarterly profit and loss figures, make sure good storytelling and nourishment is crushed completely.

Fucking old people need to get off this board.

This is the most beautiful disco music I've ever heard. I love the score, it somehow just worked. Also, 80's Michelle Pfeiffer is one of the prettiest actresses ever walked on earth.

It would've been made, but Mouse would be black and gay.

money doesn't grow on trees

if someone wants to invest in a risky art film, that's their right of course. I just don't think it's fair to blame people who aren't willing to do so, especially when you're not either

You talk like a goon. Fuck off!

ok pal

I think if you focused on the female demographic and made it as a chick flick you would be able to make profit, even nowadays.

But it must be the good kind of chick flick. Show how heart broken the hero is, how he is wailing in pain. Make him the noblest of noble of knights in shining armor; courageous to the point of death defying.

And on top of it bring him to the point where he has to decide between his love interest and lifting of her curse and saving the people and/or the earth.

Gotta have that diversity pandering.

obviously people are free to invest their money how they choose and its intelligent for the investor

but the fact you can't, don't, or won't understand that hollywoods OBSESSION with the bottom line has turned the movie industry into a shitheap, and the only thing that can be blamed is the refusal to deviate from what is known to make money quickly and with minimal investment

It looks like a shitty movie anyway. No loss.

So edgy

Who let you out of your padded cell, tumblr?

You could try and be objective in your criticism. That's all I'm saying.

It's probably for the best Mel Brooks is pretty much dead, most of his satire shit would crash and burn. Nevermind being a Jew, he's white and male so both Blazing Saddles and The Producers would be torn to shreds, the same way the film release of the latter was hated by critics.

Hell, the only reason The Producers is still going as a musical is because those tumblr fucks don't have the attention span for theatre, won't read literature from a non-feminist/blogger, and don't know kino from the pre-2000s.

Yeah, there probably isn't going to be another gay sperg indietronica musician from New Zealand

lol the patriarchy is either real or it isnt

if mel brooks were making movies today he'd still be part of the patriarchy therefore successful, or the patriarchy is bullshit nonsense and he would be successful because he's a jew in the film industry

you cant have both sides of a contradiction be true

Experimental films can be profitable. Look at 2001: A Space Odyssey, or even Star Wars. Both of the those films were fairly experimental their time and made a huge profit.

That being said, a lot of the trouble with modern films comes from too many people investing into too many movies. In the old days film companies were more self-sustaining than they are today. They were run often by a single individual who, despite wanting to make a profit, had a genuine passion for movies and would give directors more freedom than they have today. Now, the industry is controlled by boards made up of people who don't care at all about movies, people who don't even think it's possible for a film to be good or bad. They're only interested in making a profit, which resulted in the modern film industry becoming stagnant, which ironically resulted in Hollywood making less profits, which resulted in executives making films even more stagnant.

I'm not saying the old guys always gave directors final cut, or were more interested in art than profit, because that's far from the truth. But I do believe they created a better environment for movies than what we have today.

Embed related.

95% of all the good films from the 70s and 80s would not have been made today. They would have been "too weird" for today's execs and they would largely not be sequels.

A pair of black woman who get badly beaten (and one of them crippled)?

Yeah, that definitely wouldn't happen today.