Dungeons And Dragons, to be directed by Rob Letterman, has been a top priority film for Warner Bros...

deadline.com/2016/06/ansel-elgort-dungeons-and-dragons-movie-1201778139/

They're trying again.

Other urls found in this thread:

tuckerskobolds.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was the ET the game of movies.

What did he mean by this?

They're trying to make dungeons and dragons again.

If they manage to hire Jeremy Irons again it's already a 10/10.

Yeah, but if they could leave out the ichiban on the henchman,

Remember when they fought like dogs over the rights to this movie?

You can't make a movie out of Dungeons and Dragons. It's a game system. It has a fuckload of vastly different scenarios, worlds and stories.

It would make more sense to do a Swordcoast movie or a Pool of Radiance movie than a Dungeons and Dragons movie.

They already tried three times and they more or less failed at every attempt.

You sure can. They've written stories based around the game, many novels worth.

They could easily make a good Dungeon and Dragons movie, or even a series of them (cinematic universe?) There is plenty of material to adapt and trappings to the game to have.

They won't make it good though, because they have to push their current year propaganda.

Or Shadowrun

Weird how the millennials try to ignore all human progress by sarcastically stating the current year.

They were all based on specific scenarios, locations and world settings, not Dungeons and Dragons in general. It's the lack of focus I am talking about.

What would the leftist spin on that be?

Or it could just end up like the other Dungeons and Dragons movies like Wrath of the Dragon God (2005) and The Book of Vile Darkness (2012). I guess I don't need to tell you that they were still terrible movies.

Originally designed as settings for D&D games by local players that were then acquired and sold as D&D products including spin off novels.

All they have to do is set it in the overrated Forgotten Realms, have some meta D&D shit in the movie (without it being corny) and fans would eat it up.

It would probably be about a female drow fighting an evil white human to save the now entirely good matriarchal drow society.

why not make it a movie about people playing Dungeons and Dragons?

Wasn't Dragonlance the exact opposite, designed as a novel setting, then converted into an actual D&D module?

I don't think that many in-jokes only a tiny number of people really grok could survive a big-budget production.

But user, they already made that show.

No Dragonlance was a setting first as well. What I mean by that is it was a custom setting made for a particular group of players. Forgotten Realms is the same way. They were custom settings before they were official modules or books.

Make D&D Great Again.

Hmm, it appears the Dragonlance module and the Dragonlance novels were first created simultaneously, as a deliberate transmedia project. Sort of like Lucas' "movie-less movie" experiment with Shadows of the Empire.

Every mary sue D&D book is the bottom rung of literary quality, how would a movie ever be good?

Are you seriously implying movies have the same "literary" quality as books? Good books get chopped down into movies all the time. If a bad book is the source there is still a chance that you can make a good movie out of it, because the book is mainly used for ideas anyway. Which is why so many movies don't follow the books they were based off of very well (or in some cases, at all.)

They could take the pieces they want from various settings and cobble together an original universe. Then they just have to rip off the Hobbit movies with the bonus of not being hobbled by the Hobbit setting, but instead having the freedom of their all new "original" setting.

Worst case scenario they deliver some Hobbit/Transformers Hybrid loosely based on D&D that makes a billion dollars and gets talked about way too fucking much. The movie would be full of stronk womyn, modern western values and characterization, drow probably being good and all played by minority characters, dumb CGI filled battles with the characters doing cartoonishly over the top combat, and a stupid inconsistent plot.

The okay scenario is that they deliver a flop that is hilariously bad.

Best case scenario they deliver something close to the quality of the LOTR Trilogy. This is the most unlikely scenario as well.

FUCK DRIZZT

The thing with Dungeons and Dragons is that there are parallels between all of the different settings. Things like Drow, halflings, gnomes, beholders, etc.

If they were actually going to do one they'd either use Forgotten Realms (because it's the most well known) or they'd invent their own and just use elements (more likely).

It's not impossible to make a Dungeons and dragons film. They already did one and by all accounts all they'd really have to do in their mind is do that film again just with a superior script writer and director.

Ask someone off the street if they've heard of "Swordcoast" or "pool of radiance". Guarantee 99% of them will draw a blank.

Ask them if they've heard of Dungeons and Dragons and they'll probably say yeah.

That's why the film is being made. Make no mistake about it.

comedy is dead.
insert laugh tracks here

You little fools.

Also, all of the settings (including an infinite number of parallel timelines for each one, and the actual IRL earth itself) are literally connected to each other through stuff like Planescape, Starjammer, the Far Realm, and Quantum Leap-style looping time travel.

I'd watch a forgotten realms movie.
Just have em make all the Drizzt movies or something.
I'd love to see SJW try to defend the strong dark elf womynz

Don't forget Hands of Fate where they delved into the glorious world of TCG.
Or Unicorn City which is larping…

I'd fuck his face.

Sadly, I doubt even Norton's pedigree is enough to give the Drow serious consideration in Hollywood.

what if all driders were portrayed by white men?

The curse of lolth turns shots kin elves white.
Seriously though they would claim it's propaganda to make feminism look bad. They would eat up the tyranny eliminated though.

Tranny elminster

Or Idris Elba playing him without pipe, robes or beard.

WHAT ABOUT MY HEAD???
or i'm not buying a ticket

Yes please!

It should be about Tucker's Kobolds.

tuckerskobolds.com/

Because this is already far superior to anything they could pump out with millions of dollars.

Actually, the syfy tv movie sequels didn't suck as much as you'd expect. I watched them expecting them to be terrible, I was pleasantly surprised.

Wrath of the Dragon God played out just like a real D&D campaign. Hero gets a magical sword, main female mage is slowly getting corrupted by the villain, they put together a team of high level heroes including a sexy barbarian lady, a QT elf chick and a dickass thief, and they get fucked up pretty bad at the end but manage to find a temple of healers to fix most of the damage. Except for their hammer-wielding healer. He fucking explodes near the beginning, and ain't nothing bringing him back.

Then the sequel after that The Book of Vile Darkness while low budget schlock played out like an undercover cop movie, and given the way alignments work that made it really interesting. The main character is a lawful good, goodie-goodie Warrior. He joins a band of evil characters, and along the way has to do a ton of evil shit to convince them he's one of them. He seduces their slutty mage chick, and there's a scene where he's tested by this creepy cgi demon loli thing, and it determines him to have become evil. Ending was a little meh, but I thought it was a clever way to play with the plot, and the chick was hot.

Imagine an animated series about Tucker's Kobolds featuring Hero Party of the Week plots and the creative ways they're getting mangled.

zero charisma

you're welcome

The same was said about the emoji movie, so there's that.