Video games and Individualism

Here and there, I've noticed people passingly mention how video games can affect an individualistic outlook in players. Are there any studies or writings you know of to support this? Obviously there's more contributing to the worldview of a person than whether or not they play video games, but I'm still interested in how games may contribute to one's psyche.

I ask in part because my roommate is fucking ridiculous. He plays FPS's for hours each day. Among far too many examples to be acceptable, today he accidentally used one of my forks instead of one of his own for dinner. I mentioned it so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with it (he's used my spoons before), and he just fucking went off on how he bought a lot of silverware in the house (not mine though?), some other shit, then something about how I was using HIS dish soap so I had no right to complain (for the record, I had already bought another thing of soap that was sitting right next to his, and we already talked about sharing that shit, like toilet paper).

My apologize for the fucking blog post, I have literally no one to talk to except this goddamn board.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170927081448/https://8ch.net/leftypol/res/1511405.html#2105922
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Your roomate sounds like a retarded jackoff neet that needs to socialize
No need to bring leftist social thought into this

If you want to talk about it go for it tho

Gay.

Yeah not like my boyfriend hes so not gay

Tell him to get better taste in video game genres.

You share forks dude, that's practically being gay married

But seriously I think it's more that he's an asshole and assholes can be drawn to competitive FPS especially.

Also stop splitting my leftyv topic reeeeee

no u

This.
Strategy games (like Victoria II) are the true revolutionary's hobby. It allows one to enact mass genocide and imperialism while still being a theory God.
Invade Greece as the Ottomans with one mouse click with one hand, and turn a page of lacan's ecrits with the other.

1. His taste is garbage, and 2. make him play better games.

Who the fuck gives a shit about who uses their eating utensils? Are you autistic OP?

Sounds like he's just a young man still figuring out how to live with another person who isn't family. I guarantee you do shit that pisses him off too.

What? Who gives a shit?

Eh, I really didn't take it as a big deal. I only have 2 forks tho

I do I guess? idk I prefer to do my own dishes and not clean up after others to do my own thing, dont think im being all that unreasonable

But R6 Siege is sooo fun and competitive

Who the fuck cares if he used your fork? What kind of dysfunctional household gets upset about this shit?
This is why we can't have communism >:(

Sharing stuff makes everything so much easier, i fucking share socks with my room mates and it's so much easier.

This. Ownership is a burden

Only thing I've done is snap a pic of dishes and garbage he left all over the stove that I had to move in order to cook dinner. The person I sent it to sent it to him cus she was bored and "felt like starting shit." So he was pissed.

Things would probably be way better for me in life in general if I could actually fucking stand for myself and just say what's on my mind. But Im fucked, looking back Ive come to realize that I was bullied throughout MS-HS, that I didn't really have friends, and that my dad has had absolutely zero influence in my rearing. Only attachment Ive ever had in life is to school, always have been a good student, and I value my relationship with my profs. But outside of that, im absolutely nothing

I agree, I really wanted a roomate I could live like that with, idk like a brother. But nope, his shit is his and Im supposed to stick to myself. I used to think living alone sucked but this is far worse

I don't know about your gay forks but I've found that:
- Games that encourage conflict between players acting alone attract your typical individualistic Holla Forums reactionaries.
- Games that encourage collaborative efforts to accomplish a common goal attract a wider cross-section of players, but also have more consciously authoritarian players
- The more a game is about socializing, network-building, and character customization, the more left libertarians or left liberals you will find. These kinds of games also have greater female and queer/trans populations per capita.
- I think this might be a reaction against Holla Forumspol/ rage becoming so commonplace in the community, but since 2016 I've noticed a lot of JRPG or VN fans become radical centrists. Maybe they just want lower tariffs on imported PVC figures and doujinshi? I can sympathize with that.

That hits the mark. Whenever he's on pubg or siege, he's commanding people what to do and gets hilariously frustrated when they don't do exactly what he expects of them. Even to his own "steam friends" he'll shush and tell to be quiet so he can focus (listen to footsteps or something, idk). There's competitive, then there's being a jackass.

And I'll agree it's probably more of a chicken then the egg scenario, that people with these traits are attracted to these respectable games. Though I imagine there's some sort of reinforcement going on, which I'd like to look into.

I find that with large enough populations, people with authoritarian personalities quickly find out that moving people around like pawns tickles their brain. Perhaps people who know that to begin with are just able to establish themselves quicker. I usually saw this happen with guilds in MMOs back when I played, along with the mods of big forums like Something Awful; McCaine was a ☭TANKIE☭ back before the term was popular and Vilerat was a literal CIA spook.

Have you considered killing your roommate?

What about games that are primary about stealth?

Tell him to at least play TF2

Whatever corpse of TF2 was shambling along was finally buried when they killed community and valve servers in favor of this matchmaker bullshit. I played it for the first time in ages for the halloween update and it was fucking awful. As a heavy, my medic kept grabbing my crit pumpkins before I could amble my ample ass over there. As a medic, my heavy literally ran circles around the point for several laps, never once touching it, before the enemy came back and he ran away. I saw scouts running up to AFK demos so that their guns touched his skin and yet still missing several shots in a row, people repeatedly running into sentry guns that they've already ran into a dozen times before, a pyro standing still 50+ feet away from the front line and the enemies while blasting his flamethrower into the air in their direction. It was truly the worst.

Mostly the same as single player FPS. Individual against the world, making things work (or break/die) through his own ingenuity.
MGS is a partial exception due to the storyline

web.archive.org/web/20170927081448/https://8ch.net/leftypol/res/1511405.html#2105922
some thoughts on videogames from leftytrash a while ago.

remember to follow the actual discussion thread instead of just that one post since there are good replies.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA