What a shame that Žižek failed to mention in Pervert's Guide how this guy was literally the aut-right personified

What a shame that Žižek failed to mention in Pervert's Guide how this guy was literally the aut-right personified.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8se9Zxy1Njo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To be fair, the aut-right as we know it today hasn't existed when they made the Pervert's Guide films.

Plus it would actually argue for the opposite. Whereas Travis actually got shit done, they whine about everything on the Internet.

Never seen the movie. What he do?

That's not fair, Travis had a job and ended up saving an underage girl from prostution. The aut-right is closer to Martin Scorsese's cameo, a guy whining about a nigger fucking his wife.

Why? The character is the personification of urban alienation. The alt-right is totally a different thing

Planned to assasinate a Senator, but chickened out. Spent a lot of time snarling at the mirror. Finally killed a bunch of pimps to save an underage prostitute as much by chance as anything else ("by chance" meaning that he could have gone on a killing spree literally anywhere, it just happened that he snapped in a way society would smile on)

What's the problem with a guy not happy with his wife getting fucked?

No. The security guys notice him before he could do anything

Crying to a taxi driver about it instead of leaving her.

Well he was gonna kill her and her companion in a rather brutal way. He was a little more that just "not happy"

He could have gone for it anyway. When the pimps started shooting him he just kept going.

The point is, his "heroism" comes entirely from a negative space. Fear, psychopathy, etc

I think he could have done it anyway, though. Would've sure gotten killed, but could fire a killer shot still.

Sounds like aut-right is closer to the SJW's then.

Well, yes.

If the aut-right are just lonely dudes who can't get laid and get angry about it then you don't need daddy Zizek to tell you that the movie is about a guy becoming increasingly bitter and angry from alienation. It's also a pretty obvious cautionary tale.

Oh and Perverts Guide is overrated as fuck.

a cautionary tale of what, that loneliness fucks you up?

Watch the movie, retard.

No, it's how they imagines themselves to be. There aren't many crazed veterans driving cabs through ghetto's in the alt-right.

Zizek's analysis of taxi driver really opened my eyes on how one-dimensional obsessive neurotic the guy is, taxi driver is a brilliant tragic portrait, yet all zizek had to say about it were some sniffs about capitalist ideology.

I agree but in his defense the movie seemed more about talking about ideology with some epic pop culture to reference in the back ground. Could have probably been the same movie if you only had the beginning part about They Live and maybe the ending monologue.

Taxi Driver is absolute KINO.

The alt right wasn't a thing when he made that movie

I'm literally Travis Bickle tbh

If you look at it from that perspective any movie could have been They Live, to the point that sniffing capitalist ideology is as insightful as looking at a Turner painting and concluding in your analysis that it consists of paint on a a canvass. Even if you're completely right, you're still missing out.

I liked this analysis of taxi driver, made me enjoy the movie anew after liking it in my edgelord phase. youtube.com/watch?v=8se9Zxy1Njo

Yeah but the trashcan of ideology line is actually pretty great and only really works with the They Live fight scene in the background.

Thanks for the link. Taxi Driver is actually what got me out of my edgy phase because I realized how much like the main character I was. It was ironic learning years later that that was actually the writers intention.