Would free college education really destroy the economy by turning universities into diploma mills and flooding the...

Would free college education really destroy the economy by turning universities into diploma mills and flooding the market with a plethora of degree-holding individuals?

I myself have my doubts on this, but can't articulate why.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxila
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

people would study the same shit they study now, except they would not be indebted for next decade. see: euroasian continent

There are countries that have free education and they have not collapsed yet.

I'm going to grad school in Canada. My tuition is less than my rent and my education is god-tier.

No it wouldn't. It never has.
Read up about Taxila.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxila

It was an ancient free center of learning. This imbecilic argument that free education reduces quality has literally never held true.
Kill all the Sophists

countries with 400M+ people? 100M of whom are very poor, uneducated immigrants? countries with $22T in debt and $200T in unfunded liabilities?

doesn't china have free education? also, how could be possibly wrong flooding labour market with skilled workers?

After the second American revolution, at least 200M reactionaries will be dead and 100M more will be receiving free re-education.

OP never said it was about the USA. Of course it wouldn't work in the USA, you first need to fix the rest of your public education.

Completely subsidizing STEM and trades would probably go a long way, at least in the U.S.

why would it? there is no empirical data to support this claim

Not with meaningful entrance exams

Try using your brain for once. FYI Japan has a higher national debt than the US and hasn't collapsed yet. Just think about that next time your handlers bitch about how high the debt level is. As for immigrants if you actually bothered to invest in them it wouldn't be a problem.

it's already the case where "free" college exists.

i swear to god i saw postings for factory jobs that required college degrees to apply.

I applied to one such factory. Programming machines ain't easy

We have that here in the US without free college. That’s just a general problem with 21st century capitalism.

They do that on purpose to claim there's a lack of skilled workers so that they have an excuse to have immigrants come in on visas and do the jobs for dirt cheap.

And you can expect it to get way worse if you ever get free college.

Not saying that things should stay this way either, just know it comes with its costs.

what kind of position was it?

Actually been on a conference that touched on this issue a while ago. The numbers for my Yuropoor cuntrywere:
This is a serious issue the government has refused to tackle so far, as it's enormously handicapping. 30% of all graduates end up in vastly underpayed retail/construction jobs forming a new precariat living in bad conditions with low spending power and an inability to start families. The situation gets worse when you consider that the government provides such dead-end options for free, but essentially stops caring about these graduates once they're out, leaving them to fend of to themselves.
Further the labour power of the Humanities graduates that do manage to get a job is greatly reduced as the reserve army of labour for their jobs is possibly the biggest in the country. This forces them into absolutely abysmal conditions (I know a lector that was paid in food-stamps for her work for a year and a half by her company).
Another problem is that on the other hand, a lot of trade/STEM jobs (specially rural ones like agroengineers) suffer from a chronic lack of manpower as getting a university degree is still seen as a mark of prestige with parents and a lot of kids just choose the easy way and study Communicology or some stuff like that, although that is slowly changing.
Some blitz and long term policies for this were also drafted by the thinktank to remedy this:

ThAT WAS OUR TAKE ANYWAY

well, in all fairness, universities are essentually just diploma mills as it stands currently
look into the concept of the marketization of education
universities don't really teach you how to think aside from a few niche fields like philosophy, they just teach you how to do your job, you don't go for an education you go for a license to do a particular field of work.

30% of graduates in slovenia is like 20 people so it's not really relevant

BORROWED

TIME
I
M
E

It wouldn't destroy "the economy", but it would certainly waste a lot of peoples' time and money. Most people in college today in America shouldn't even be there.

Well then maybe they shouldn’t study humanities degrees. There’s a lot of value in the fields but you shouldn’t complain if you can’t find a job.

Free college in Slovakia if your not working. If you are working, University tuition is about what American community colleges are. Rent in a college town is about $500 (U.S.).

Are you talking about private schools, súdruh?