Daily News Thread 8/28

China says sanctions won't help as Trump targets Venezuela

Venezuela’s close ally China said on Monday that history shows external interference and unilateral sanctions only make things more complex and will not help resolve problems, after the United States imposed new sanctions on Venezuela.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-venezuela-sanctions-china-idUSKCN1B811D

‘Opposition lobbied in US for sanctions, now they blame Maduro’ – Venezuelan FM

The Venezuelan opposition has been “lobbying for sanctions” in Washington against the Maduro government, and now blames him for the economic sanctions imposed by Donald Trump, Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza told RT.
rt.com/news/401024-venezuela-arreaza-us-sanctions-opposition/

Venezuelan army, civil militias hold exercises after Trump threat

Venezuela held nationwide armed forces exercises on Saturday, calling on civilians to join reserve units to defend against a possible attack after U.S. President Donald Trump warned that a “military option” was on the table for the crisis-hit country.
reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-idUSKCN1B60KA

Trump to Rescind Obama Ban on Sending Military Surplus to Police

U.S. President Donald Trump will undo another Obama-era initiative, lifting his predecessor’s ban on giving local police departments military-grade equipment like armored vehicles, search-and-rescue vehicles and grenade launchers, according to details provided by the Justice Department.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-28/trump-to-rescind-obama-ban-on-sending-military-surplus-to-police

Police chief is owner of white nationalist website, Oklahoma news station claims

An Oklahoma news station claims to have exposed a local police chief alleged to have been selling white nationalist materials via his own far-right website.
rt.com/usa/401125-oklahoma-police-chief-neo-nazis/

At least 14 arrested as left- and right-wing protesters face off in Berkeley, California

Police have arrested at least 14 people and reportedly deployed tear gas as demonstrators from the Left and Right of the political spectrum held rallies in Berkeley, California.
rt.com/usa/401119-berkeley-far-right-rally-protest-arrests/

Majority of people in France now dissatisfied with Macron: poll

Most French voters are now dissatisfied with Emmanuel Macron’s performance, a poll showed on Sunday, a dramatic decline for a president who basked in a landslide election victory less than four months ago.
reuters.com/article/us-france-politics-idUSKCN1B60RG?il=0

India and China agree to end border standoff

India and China have agreed to an “expeditious disengagement” of troops in a disputed border area where their soldiers have been locked in a stand-off for more than two months, India’s foreign ministry said on Monday.
reuters.com/article/us-india-china-idUSKCN1B80II

Harvey Pounds Texas as Epic Flooding Paralyzes Houston

Floodwaters overwhelmed swathes of Houston as Tropical Storm Harvey continued to inundate southeastern Texas, pounding America’s fourth-largest city with unprecedented rainfall and crippling the core of the U.S. energy industry.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-27/flooding-replaces-high-wind-as-harvey-threat-to-texas-gulf-coast

Pakistan cancels senior US diplomat’s visit amid row over Trump’s Afghanistan remarks

Pakistan has postponed a visit by an acting US assistant secretary of state scheduled for Monday. It comes amid irritation in Islamabad over US President Trump’s allegations that Pakistan harbors terrorists and his call on India for help in Afghanistan.
rt.com/news/401144-pakistan-us-visit-protest/

‘I see a drone, I remove my SIM card’: Afghan villagers live in constant fear of US airstrikes

Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province has been one of the hardest hit by US airstrikes, which target Islamist militants but also hit civilians. In a video by RT’s Ruptly agency, locals shared what it was like to live under the constant risk of being bombed.
rt.com/news/401027-afghans-fear-us-airstrikes-nangarhar/

Amazon Cuts Whole Foods Prices as Much as 43% on First Day

Amazon.com Inc. spent its first day as the owner of a brick-and-mortar grocery chain cutting prices at Whole Foods Market as much as 43 percent.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-28/amazon-cuts-prices-at-whole-foods-as-much-as-50-on-first-day

Footage emerges of white man firing gun at protesters at Charlottesville rally

Footage released by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Virginia shows the moment a white man fires a hand gun at protesters during the clashes in the city of Charlottesville on 12 August.
ibtimes.co.uk/footage-emerges-white-supremacist-firing-gun-protesters-1636851

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/08/28/opinion/fascism-arpaio-pardon-trump.html
rt.com/op-edge/401187-us-protests-berkeley-violence-antifa/
nytimes.com/2017/08/28/opinion/white-power-and-the-fear-of-replacement.html
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/08/28/mehr-a28.html
rt.com/usa/401193-houston-building-explosion/
forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/08/27/hurricane-harvey-is-when-we-need-price-gouging-not-laws-against-it/#7563bfde7ffb
cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-headed-toward-northern-japan-report-says.html
archive.is/yPi8E
bbc.com/news/world-asia-41078187
archive.is/18xMB
mic.com/articles/184080/texas-set-to-impose-new-insurance-restrictions-as-residents-face-damage-from-hurricane-harvey#.UjIRURvOx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP/ED

Fascism, American Style

How many Republicans will refuse to collaborate?
nytimes.com/2017/08/28/opinion/fascism-arpaio-pardon-trump.html

Monkey see, monkey do: ‘Violence in America being normalized at government level’

The normalization of violence is happening because even at the government level we see situations in which the state settles its disputes with violence. That example needs to change, says Arvin Vohra, Vice Chair of the Libertarian National Committee.
rt.com/op-edge/401187-us-protests-berkeley-violence-antifa/

White ‘Power’ and the Fear of Replacement

The marcher’s chant in Charlottesville really meant, “You will not take away our historical right to exclude.”
nytimes.com/2017/08/28/opinion/white-power-and-the-fear-of-replacement.html

Why Study the Russian Revolution?

One hundred years after the Russian Revolution, the events of 1917, their consequences and their lessons retain a burning contemporary relevance.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/08/28/mehr-a28.html

Explosion rocks building in downtown Houston, Texas – local media (VIDEO)

A fire has broken out at a building in downtown Houston, with a witness reporting that he heard an "explosion," according to local media. Footage from the scene shows the blaze raging from the windows of the premises.
rt.com/usa/401193-houston-building-explosion/

This is especially important because you can see after he yelled "HEY NIGGER, HEY!" he aims, presumably, towards the flamethrower spraycan guy's HEAD. Luckily the gun jams or the safety was on before he fixed it and decided to shoot towards the ground.

why are american fash so pathetic?

why are they all fat and pink
those aren't humans, those are giant sausages

Euro fash have a shitload of football hooligans.

As you can see

Venezuela's the big test for the American Empire IMO. If China forces them to back down that'll be the final deathblow to US hegemony

Maduro should be beheading these fucking porky traitors en masse, whoever goes and lobbies for sanctions to be placed on their motherland is a traitor.

Can't wait to have my house howitzere'd because my water bill was a day late.

Sorry man, it's the price of freedom

Honestly china have been good boys globally, their conditional support of NK only if trump attacked first definitely made both parties stop being dinguses

I will admit their stance on Venezuela and NK is pretty good but lets be honest. They are capitalist trash

Last I heard of this, the police don't even want this shit because it scares the public.

But of course, Trump has to lift it because it has Obama's name on it.

Hurricane Harvey Is When We Need Price Gouging, Not Laws Against It
forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/08/27/hurricane-harvey-is-when-we-need-price-gouging-not-laws-against-it/#7563bfde7ffb

Pic related if you don't want to give Forbes clicks

Aren't they setting up military bases in Africa?

Well obviously, but I'll take what I can get

American anything is pathetic.

I'm sure, but with regards to these two geopolitical incidents I'm glad they're there to reign in the US' more bloodthirsty take.

Absolute Cucks

North Korea fires three missiles at northern Japan
cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-headed-toward-northern-japan-report-says.html
archive.is/yPi8E

bbc.com/news/world-asia-41078187
archive.is/18xMB

Bruh

Oh the impending class war is going to be a fun one. I hope it happens soon…

At least when the police hqs get raided the red guards get nicer pickings

You know the cops are gonna start selling that military hardware off when they get it. American cops are crooked as fuck.

As Harvey pummels residents, Texas to restrict weather-related insurance claims

mic.com/articles/184080/texas-set-to-impose-new-insurance-restrictions-as-residents-face-damage-from-hurricane-harvey#.UjIRURvOx

This is a good point. By distributing military hardware to police department, they are making the escalation of a violent revolution a smoother slope. Not sure if that means more people will die, or fewer.

That said, holy shit I am not looking forward to it either way. It would be the most gruesome event in the history of mankind, willing to bet.

does Forbes write sarcasm pieces?

What the fuck is China doing, why do they support pseudo left countries even if they are free market fucks

anti-US

Reminder to stop freaking out about this. The ban was only like a year or two before Obama left office, I remember the e-petition I got about it. This is nothing new, this is the resumption of business as usual after a brief delay. It sucks, but people are making more out of it than it really is.

Such a thing ever existed? Those fuckers at the Standing Rock protests sure had a lot of military shit.

iirc the ban was only on selling them new crap and they were allowed to keep what they had already

Surely you can do better than this excrement, OP. Ever heard of Truth-out? Truth Dig? Counterpunch? Black Agenda Report?

You sure this isn't an Onion piece?