Daily News Thread 8/20

Leaked Sadiq Khan email says Tory cuts will slash 4,000 police jobs

In the wake of multiple terror attacks in the heart of London, the city's mayor Sadiq Khan has warned that incoming budget cuts being forced through by the Conservative government could result in the loss of up to 4,000 officers working on the front lines of policing.
ibtimes.co.uk/front-line-risk-leaked-sadiq-khan-email-says-tory-cuts-will-slash-4000-police-jobs-1635831

South Africa Joins Calls to Boycott Africa-Israel Summit

Ambassador Sean Benfeldt says the talks aim to normalize relations between African countries and an “occupation state.”
telesurtv.net/english/news/South-Africa-Joins-Calls-to-Boycott-Africa-Israel-Summit--20170819-0026.html

Lebanese army, Hezbollah announce offensives against Islamic State on Syrian border

The Lebanese army launched an offensive on Saturday against an Islamic State enclave on the northeastern border with Syria, as the Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah announced an assault on the militants from the Syrian side of the frontier.
reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-lebanon-syria-idUSKCN1AZ03G?il=0

Iraq's Kurds might put off independence vote in return for concessions from Baghdad: official

Iraq's Kurds may consider the possibility of postponing a planned Sept. 25 referendum on independence in return for financial and political concessions from the central government in Baghdad, a senior Kurdish official said.
reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-kurds-idUSKCN1B00BS

Syria's Assad says Western plots against him foiled but war not yet won

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday his country had foiled Western designs to topple him but his army had not yet won the fight to end Syria's six-year-old insurgency.
reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-idUSKCN1B00BK

Barcelona van attack suspect may have crossed into France: Spanish police

Spanish police hunting for a suspect after the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 people said on Sunday they could not rule out that he had slipped over the border into France.
reuters.com/article/us-spain-security-investigation-idUSKCN1B008J

Hong Kong protest: Thousands march for jailed activists

Tens of thousands of people have marched through the streets of Hong Kong in protest at the jailing of three pro-democracy activists.
bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40993550

Barcelona attack: Spain terror cell had 120 gas canisters

A 12-strong terror cell that carried out two attacks in Spain this week had collected 120 gas canisters and was planning to use them in vehicle attacks, Spanish police say.
bbc.com/news/world-europe-40990927

Trump to Skip Kennedy Center Honors to Avoid ‘Distraction’

Donald Trump and his wife Melania will skip the annual Kennedy Center Honors in December after some of the honorees said they would boycott a White House reception traditionally part of the weekend of festivities.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-19/trump-to-skip-kennedy-center-honors-to-avoid-distraction

Stones, rods & fists: Chinese & Indian troops' border brawl caught on VIDEO

Footage showing a clash between Chinese and Indian border guards at the disputed Pangong Lake in the Himalayas earlier this week has appeared on social media. The video has not been verified but the incident has been confirmed by Indian officials.
rt.com/news/400325-india-china-border-skirmish/

Future of Venezuela Rests in the Hands of the People: Maduro

The head of state urged the international community to unite in solidarity with Venezuela to safeguard the sovereignty of the country through dialogue.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Future-of-Venezuela-Rests-in-the-Hands-of-the-People-Maduro-20170820-0013.html

Nestle's Poland Spring Is Common Groundwater, New Suit Alleges

Nestle SA’s Poland Spring Water unit has duped American consumers into paying premium prices for ordinary ground water that’s pumped from some of Maine’s most populated areas, rather than from natural springs as the company advertises, according to a lawsuit.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-19/nestle-s-poland-spring-is-common-groundwater-new-suit-alleges

Nutella robberies spread as German gang steals 20 tonnes of chocolate worth €70,000

A gang in Germany may have ended up with more than they bargained for after stealing 20 tonnes of Nutella and the trailer it was stored in.
ibtimes.co.uk/nutella-robberies-spread-german-gang-steals-20-tonnes-chocolate-worth-70000-1635829

Other urls found in this thread:

voanews.com/a/venezuela-maduro-price-gouging/3994152.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

TYB NewsAnon

Ty newsie, always appreciated

This is some real Westside Story shit

When a statesman says shit like this you know they are about to hit the fan.

News user best user

and c*rbyn wants to prevent this? tell me again about how labour aren't social fascists?

What do you mean? We should let do more attacks?

cops are bad and do very little to prevent attacks, this isn't hard

it's electioneering, he has to oppose police cuts to appease old people. besides maybe a Corbyn government would direct the police to actually help ordinary people more.

Anyone who talks about Venezuelan "dialogue" does it because there's nothing else that they can recommend, not because they believe that it could work.

I don't think that many Venezuelans actually care about defending the country. Russians, Cubans and the Chinese are already gangbanging the country, what's so different about the US? What's one more stripe to the tiger?

Ayyy. C'mon i don't like cops either but really what other solution there is to the problem? Plus this is politics.
People won't feel safe

aka opportunism
the police are an instrument of class oppression, you can't direct them to 'help ordinary people', it runs counter to their fundamental purpose

Clarifying: by Russian/Chinese involvement I'm talking about how they accept illegal and unapproved (by the national assembly) debt. If the PSUV isn't in power, the debt will never get paid, so both of those countries are doing their best to support Maduro.
By Cuban involvement I'm talking about shit like the military being shameless enough to fly the Cuban flag next to the Venezuelan flag, and me hearing that retarded motherfucking Cuban accent from GNBs (military) in some protests.

I'm not a brit so maybe I don't understand all the complexities, but couldn't Corbyn just not do anything and let the Tories slash police funding? I mean that doesn't seem very hard to do.

hypoxia is a hellova drug

Look up what Community policing is, faggot

The intelligence program about it is effective.
Not to mention rapid response.

Cutting the police budget isn't gonna end the police, fam, it's just another austerity cut. The Tories are cutting the budget while increasing surveillance and pushing through more draconian laws. Labour is doing the opposite.

You can't just ban all the britbong cops for funzies and just let ISIS psychopaths do whatever they want. Not right now.

Too many people will flock to right-wing populism, if not straight to fascism.

Venezuela's Maduro Warns of Action Against Price Gouging

voanews.com/a/venezuela-maduro-price-gouging/3994152.html

BURN THE IMPORTS, STARVATION NOW

Where's that damn tweet Israel sent to SA when I need it?

Either stop the price controls or nationalize the means of production, for fuck's sake.