How should service workers be organized? Trade unions and their tactics don't really work...

How should service workers be organized? Trade unions and their tactics don't really work, there are too many differences between industrial and service workers. For example, while a strike of oil workers will shut down the whole economy, a strike of hair dressers is just a minor inconvenience.

this is something i was also wonder because in the first world service jobs have largely replaced factory jobs

Completely tear down the AFL-CIO, IBEW, ect and bring in true solidarity where, say, the fastfood workers going on strike shuts down a major LA port, slows over the road trucking to a crawl, ect

Trade unions and their tactics can still be effective whether or not its industrial or service workers, however it's important that it is a general strike rather than each profession standing up to capital on its own.

Industrial unionism. If the hair dressers go on strike that's no big deal, but if the hair dressers and the people who do deliveries to the salon and the weekend janitor all go on strike porky's in a bigger bind.

This. Solidarity between all workers/consumers is the only way for such professions to effect meaningful leverage in strike actions.

Sadly, sympathy strikes are illegal under Taft-Hartley in burgerstan. It will require civil disobedience on a massive scale

ONE BIG UNION

It's not even effective for industrial workers anymore.

Militantly, with a gun in every hand

Cordination between unions, a communist party and a terrorist group is my ideal

Anything more realistic?

No. Labor organization is a 20th century meme.

I'm really confused here. We are still talking about unions and strike in 2017? What possibly the unions and the workers could do for our minorities? You alt-left guys are too extremist. The goverment is on your side, fighting with you for the struggle against those bigots racists alt-righters nazis, they are the real threath to our democracy and freedom. What else do you want? Reminder that the working class is the one who put trump in power, they don't deserve nothing but hate for ruining our country. The working class and you guys are acting like vitctims, guess what: You are white and this kind of talk is patronizing for all the oppressed minorities and women in our country. Shame on you, the working class is just a bunch of racist rednecks you shouldn't support them. Class struggle is a distraction. WE the PEOPLE have to defend the legacy of Obama. I still feel since the day trump won, you are literally trying to defend nazis.

O R G A N I C C E N T R A L I S M

Elaborate. There are still plenty of industrial jobs in the west today, it's only that porky has been fairly successful in undermining or declawing labour movements. Besides that most of the first world's economy and infrastructure are heavily reliant on service workers, so if they were to go on a general strike with industrial workers the bourgeoisie would lose millions and countries would be at the mercy of their workers.

consider the following: a strike of web developers could be a serious blow to capitalists and especially the advertising industry, but the society as a whole would be only slightly inconvenienced when their facebook won't load.

Most of their tactics depend on the workers setting the pace, which is now done by the machines.

People would riot if Facebook stopped working. You don't need web developers to run already existing websites, though.

Automation under capital will be done at a snail's pace in order to maximize profit. However keep in mind that someone will still need to give those machines maintenance and ensure that they're actually running, service workers also form the majority of workers in developed nations and work at their own pace and should not be neglected. Sabotage of company assets is also an option for industrial workers who are experiencing capitalist automation.

That's where sabotage comes in. For Fedbook, some dev could bang out some malicious code that fucks something up and hide it in a weird spot. Code can be extremely difficult to sort through if it isn't organized properly. I don't know dick about FB specifically, but they must have a company standard formatting for their code. Most people get used to their company's format, and that can be exploited to make the problems harder to find.

they should be replaced by machines